Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #1651
Spanky
Mouseketeer

Many years ago we decided that there was no gift worth the hassle of the owner update and have steadily refused to attend for over 10 years. In fact we take the phone off the hook or turn the ringer off as soon as we get into the condo. Our family calls us on our cell phones - only the resort calls on the room phone.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #1652
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Just booked our trip for the first week of October!!! Found a great deal on Ebay.

SO. I just spent who knows how many hours reading this entire thread!!! Yes, every single post!!!!!! I guess I'm excited.....

Just about every question has been answered but the one I need to know. What kind of coffee filters do the machines take? I KNOW there are mesh filters, but I hate those. They let too much sediment and oils through which makes for harsh coffee IMO. I like to use paper filters. So do they take the flat bottom filters or the cone filters?

Also, doesn't anyone have pictures of a regular old 2BR deluxe? Everything I see here is about 3 and 4BR Presidential. I want to know what a regular suite looks like so badly.

We stayed at Emerald Island last year, and while it was OK, the condo was kind of run down, and just a hair too far (doable, but LOVE how close WBC is!), and also the unit had nothing. One roll of toilet paper and nothing else. We had to buy absolutely everything. Can't complain though because it was only $490 for the week and we split it with another couple. So what do you want for $35 a night. The beds were awful too.

So this year we wanted to do something nicer, but still within the budget. We contemplated the Caribe Royale hotel - found a great deal on Hotwire, but then realized we could get WBC for even less than that!! Done deal

Now I just have to WAIT the 200 some odd days for it to get here.............

Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic information and advice.

One thing for the lovely lady from the UK needing the tea kettle - I too love my tea at night and always use an electric tea kettle. Here is a tip. Go to any Walgreens and go to the small appliance section (every Walgreens has this section - little irons and so forth) - they will have a mini electric tea kettle (nothing fancy like your nice one at home) for $10 or $15. It won't be listed on the websites becuase it's too piddly an item. But they have them. I have one and take it with me when I need one where I know they won't have one. It's smallish, maybe holds enough water for 6 cups or something, but is fast and will do the job beautifully for you.

Editing to add, here is a link to the one they have at Walmart - $15.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-32-O...White/14321061

Last edited by Bellamouse; 02-27-2012 at 11:50 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #1653
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61maris61 View Post
Haven't read through all the pages (who has that kind of time!), but I did a search for grocery, and for Publix without the desired responses. I know there is a Walmart somewhat nearby BC, but are there any other grocery stores?

We'll be there in August - right now it looks like we'll (4 adults, 3 yr old) use a van from the airport that offers a grocery stop along the way. Just wondering if there is another option besides Walmart.

All responses will be appreciated.

PS: Yes, I read about the deliveries available - I just like seeing different stores; Walmart is something I can see at home anytime.
The closest Publix is this one: 2925 International Drive, Kissimmee, FL 34746
It takes about 15 minutes to get there.

The Super Wal-Mart I go to is this one: 3250 Vineland Road, Kissimmee, FL
It also take about 15 minutes.

Publix is certainly faster to get in and out of and nicer, but of course, Walmart has a ton of stuff and is a bit cheaper.

I you never have shopped at Publix, I suggest looking at iheartpublix.com to see what's on sale before you go.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #1654
skjuls
U2 Fanatic and True Blood Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateshome View Post
Hello everyone!
First time poster but thank you all so much for the info provided here.

My question is.....we have 4 nights booked Apr 17th - Apr 21st 2012 but have
found out that we can actually get there a few days earlier on the 14th so we can make a whole week of it.
The issue is how do I get 3 more nights.
The folks we are using "listed on here numerous times" have been great and
state that they believe something will open up the end of March first
of April and they will be able to add the additional days but no guarantees of
course.

So.....wait to see if this happens or make other arrangements for the first 3 days?

Anyone else had this experience? Did you wait it out or where did you book
the first 3 days?

Thanks all!!!
When dates are sold out, the best time to look is 20-15 days before the date you want to check in because at 15 days out if you don't cancel and you know you can't go, you lose your points.

Sometimes, nothing opens up and you just have to make other arrangements.

I see that Star Island and Cypress Palms has availability for those 3 nights, so that's a possibility (depending if you need a 1 or 2 bedroom).
Past Disney trips: Feb 2012 DTD only Bonnet Creek (Busch Gardens, USO, Aquatica, Winter the Dolphin and Caps hockey) August 2011 Saratoga Springs, June 2010 WDW Bonnet Creek, June 2009 WDW, Jan 2009 WDW, Aug 2008 WDW, January 2008 WDW, June 2007 DL, June 2006 WDW (Character Dining only and DTD), Nov 2005 DL, May 2003 DL, Dec 2001 WDW, Oct 2000 Disneyland Paris, June 1996 WDW, June 1995 WDW, 1994 WDW, 1992 WDW, 1989-1991 WDW once a year, Summer 1985 DL
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #1655
skjuls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Many years ago we decided that there was no gift worth the hassle of the owner update and have steadily refused to attend for over 10 years. In fact we take the phone off the hook or turn the ringer off as soon as we get into the condo. Our family calls us on our cell phones - only the resort calls on the room phone.
I did the owners update where they come to your room. It was fine because the rep wasn't a sales rep and we talked about other things. She was from Eastern Europe and I did Peace Corps in Bulgaria.

Very easy $25 gc I got out of it but she was late. Luckily we were only going to a waterpark.

Also, whenever I get my parking pass I will tell them I've recently done an owner's update. Also, it helps when I tell them my kid has autism and it's just me and him. It's true and then they stop asking.
Past Disney trips: Feb 2012 DTD only Bonnet Creek (Busch Gardens, USO, Aquatica, Winter the Dolphin and Caps hockey) August 2011 Saratoga Springs, June 2010 WDW Bonnet Creek, June 2009 WDW, Jan 2009 WDW, Aug 2008 WDW, January 2008 WDW, June 2007 DL, June 2006 WDW (Character Dining only and DTD), Nov 2005 DL, May 2003 DL, Dec 2001 WDW, Oct 2000 Disneyland Paris, June 1996 WDW, June 1995 WDW, 1994 WDW, 1992 WDW, 1989-1991 WDW once a year, Summer 1985 DL
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #1656
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjuls View Post
I did the owners update where they come to your room. It was fine because the rep wasn't a sales rep and we talked about other things. She was from Eastern Europe and I did Peace Corps in Bulgaria.

Very easy $25 gc I got out of it but she was late. Luckily we were only going to a waterpark.

Also, whenever I get my parking pass I will tell them I've recently done an owner's update. Also, it helps when I tell them my kid has autism and it's just me and him. It's true and then they stop asking.
I know exactly which girl came to your room. She tried in vain to get us to do one of those in room "surveys" and got TOTALLY snarky with me when I told here we had ADR's in the mornings. We flat out told her we wouldn't let anyone come to our room and she was such a snot about it. She tried to tell me we HAD to fill out a "survey"...oh yeah, well then give it to me and I will drop it off later. No? Oh well...that's all I am willing to do when I am on vacation. Got our parking pass and turned off the ringer on the phone.
Glad she was nice to you, though.

Follow our Progress For March 2015http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50810740
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #1657
skateshome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I see that Star Island and Cypress Palms has availability for those 3 nights, so that's a possibility (depending if you need a 1 or 2 bedroom).
Thanks!
Any suggestions as to who to go thru for these locations?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #1658
61maris61
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
The closest Publix is this one: 2925 International Drive, Kissimmee, FL 34746
It takes about 15 minutes to get there.

The Super Wal-Mart I go to is this one: 3250 Vineland Road, Kissimmee, FL
It also take about 15 minutes.

Publix is certainly faster to get in and out of and nicer, but of course, Walmart has a ton of stuff and is a bit cheaper.

I you never have shopped at Publix, I suggest looking at iheartpublix.com to see what's on sale before you go.
Thanks for the response (thanks to skateshome too!); helpful info.

Think I'll check out Publix site right now to see what it looks like.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1659
skjuls

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateshome View Post
Thanks!
Any suggestions as to who to go thru for these locations?
No, as I'm an owner so don't need to go through anyone.

You can email me TigerJuls@gmail.com
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #1660
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
When dates are sold out, the best time to look is 20-15 days before the date you want to check in because at 15 days out if you don't cancel and you know you can't go, you lose your points.
This is very good advice.

Also, if you're renting from an owner, right at 60 days from arrival is sometimes good. VIP owners get big points discounts from 60 days in, I believe, and some of them won't rent earlier for that reason.

(Can't help you with WHO to rent from, because I'm also a Wyndham owner.)
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #1661
skateshome
Mouseketeer

Thanks folks!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #1662
casper_jj11
DIS Veteran

Can anyone tell me if there are room darkening blinds or drapes in the bedroom windows at BC? I hadn't thought about it because we're used to the large room darkening drapes in hotel rooms but if they don't have them, the kids are going to have a hard time napping or going to bed at their regular time.
Princess Sydney's Magical Wish Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38079645
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1663
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Talking

Hey there, I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't have time to dig through hundreds of pages to figure it out.

We have a 1 bedroom deluxe booked from 4/14 - 4/21 (saturday-saturday) and will be checking in at approx. 5 PM.

I want nothing more than a high floor (10th floor or higher). Lake view would be nice but the high floor is what I want the most.

What are my chances? Last time we were put on the fourth floor looking at a parking lot and it was a real bummer.

Should I call ahead? Beg when I get to the front desk? I really, really want this bad. Our honeymoon in 2010 was on the 11th floor looking at the lake and it was so special. My grandma is an owner and we will be guests checking in.

FYI Bonnet Creek kicks so much butt. I recommend it SO SO SO highly.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #1664
katallo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Hey there, I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't have time to dig through hundreds of pages to figure it out.

We have a 1 bedroom deluxe booked from 4/14 - 4/21 (saturday-saturday) and will be checking in at approx. 5 PM.

I want nothing more than a high floor (10th floor or higher). Lake view would be nice but the high floor is what I want the most.

What are my chances? Last time we were put on the fourth floor looking at a parking lot and it was a real bummer.

Should I call ahead? Beg when I get to the front desk? I really, really want this bad. Our honeymoon in 2010 was on the 11th floor looking at the lake and it was so special. My grandma is an owner and we will be guests checking in.

FYI Bonnet Creek kicks so much butt. I recommend it SO SO SO highly.
We have found that it works best for us to make a request when we check in. You can call ahead, but if we nicely request something at check in they are accommodating. You might have to be willing to wait for a unit.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #1665
Cdn Gal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_jj11 View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are room darkening blinds or drapes in the bedroom windows at BC? I hadn't thought about it because we're used to the large room darkening drapes in hotel rooms but if they don't have them, the kids are going to have a hard time napping or going to bed at their regular time.
There are dark blinds in all of the rooms. You won't have any problem sleeping!
Closed Thread