Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #1621
under da UP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal1000 View Post
I think they are upgrading all the rooms. We stayed in main building December 2010 and the room had new granite work tops, new sofa, flat screen tv's and had generally been spruced up. Assume main building is the oldest building so maybe they are doing them up according to age.
The staff said Building 3 is the last to refurbish and that will be completed in March. The granite in kitchen and bath is a nice touch, as are the new soft mattresses:-) I wish they would invest in a dining room set with less bulky chairs so they can be pushed all the way in. But every wyndham place seems to have the space wasting chairs. Maybe I'm in a minority about that beef.

The grounds are all very well maintained and seemed to be constantly cleaned and worked on by a nice, friendly crew.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #1622
under da UP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
I would love to know more about using the buses to get to the resorts for Rope Drop. I was told that the buses start running at 8 am. If we catch the first bus, will we be able to make RD at MK?

Also, does anyone have experience with using a cab to get to the TTC? We have early morning ADR's and will need to be at MK one day by 8:00am.

Any advice or insight is appreciated!!
The bus schedule for president's week didn't include any buses leaving WBC before 8am. We arrived 15 minutes early for one 9am rope drop using the bus for Hollywood studios. We drove most other days. MK would be a tough one because you have to ferry/monorail it after the bus drops you off. So you might make it to MK by 9am but then it'll take you 10-15 minutes waiting in the entrance lines.

We didn't use any taxis but there is a sign driving into the parks for taxi parking fee - $14. I assume they would just tack that onto your fare. Boo!

However, a little trick we learned is you can take a cab/car from WBC to one of the Disney resorts, like Poly, and catch the Disney transportation buses or monorail. You just say you are meeting someone or checking-in. I guess the security doesn't have the man power to care.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #1623
under da UP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I've never had any problems having local friends visit me. All you'd need to do is make sure they know which tower you are located in and you can meet them downstairs when they park to get them into the building and walk them to your room.

The biggest issue would be getting thru the front gate, but If they know your name and which tower (and maybe even room to be n the safe side) you are in they shouldn't have much of an issue getting past the gate security....assuming they are even questioned about it. (depending upon the time, i've found that they sometimes leave the gates open during heavy traffic times)
Oh you can skip the gate house completely if you like. Instead of turning into the main entrance just keep driving on that 2 lane blvd (I forget the name) It will take you around back to the Wyndham Grand Hotel entrance. Drive into the parking structure, down a couple levels and out the other side by Tower 6. It would be quite a long drive to get to Towers 1,2 and 3 though.

People wonder how those illegal pizza flyers get under everyone's door... they just use the back entrance haha.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #1624
under da UP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemitchcowski View Post
Also, we will be checking in after 9pm on a Friday....is that a "bad" time to check in.....in regards to getting a room with a nice view (doesn't have to be fireworks) we just have 2 young kids so I don't want an area that will be really loud at night.
I don't think noise is a problem unless you are in a ground floor, 2nd or maybe 3rd floor unit facing the lake/pools. The golf course view on the parking lot side of Tower 1 was awesome. It was so peaceful outside on the balcony. Any lake view above floor 4/5 is great. You just want to be above the palm trees on lakeside, unless you like to look at palm trees of course.

The walls are thick enough and windows are double pane insulated. I heard a few voices standing next to the unit door but I have very good hearing.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #1625
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

What are items I should plan on bring from home or buying when we get there (we are driving so we do not have the airline baggage addition). How many of these items are provided.

Coffee Filters?
Laundry or Dishwashing detergent?
Paper towels?
Toilet Paper?

What else am I forgetting? Anything else you can think I may need at WBC?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #1626
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-akj View Post
What are items I should plan on bring from home or buying when we get there (we are driving so we do not have the airline baggage addition). How many of these items are provided.

Coffee Filters?
Paper towels?
Toilet Paper?

I was wondering the same thing. Do they give you more of this stuff if/when you run out, or do you have to provide "refills".
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #1627
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

I can't answer your question (re: what to bring), but here's a thread you might be interested in:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2663580
Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #1628
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by under da UP View Post
Oh you can skip the gate house completely if you like. Instead of turning into the main entrance just keep driving on that 2 lane blvd (I forget the name) It will take you around back to the Wyndham Grand Hotel entrance. Drive into the parking structure, down a couple levels and out the other side by Tower 6. It would be quite a long drive to get to Towers 1,2 and 3 though.

People wonder how those illegal pizza flyers get under everyone's door... they just use the back entrance haha.
When I stayed at the Grand via a Wyndham timeshare owner promotion, I tried every which way not to pay the parking fee. But what you're saying--my memory is that getting into that parking garage required a swipe of a room key at the gated entrance.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1629
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Gal View Post
The gifts that they give is usually $100, but if you are not an owner, that is 2 hours that you have wasted of your precious vacation time. For owners it is 45 minutes, that is all they an keep you according to Florida state law. They also usually have discounted tickets, but we always go for the cash. I am not sure if this time I will good not, since we are owners it is only 45 min. I might do this whenmy DH is playing golf one morning. We'll just have to see!
I'm glad you got stuck for only 45 minutes. On my one and only "Owners' Update" in September 2009, they kept me for 2 hours until I finally said "Enough, I'm here on a vacation not to sit in here." They then ran me through the wringer with 2 other sales weasels for another half hour.
As far as doing it without your husband, they will not allow that.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1630
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

blessedby3, the units provide laundry/dishwashing detergent, paper towels and toilet paper. We don't drink coffee, so I can't swear to the coffee filters, although I'm quite certain I remember that there were a few there. There was dishwasher detergent for two loads and enough laundry detergent for a few loads. The only thing we had to ask for was more toilet paper, and they brought that for us when we asked for it. That was the only thing we had to request, and that was gratis.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1631
under da UP
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
When I stayed at the Grand via a Wyndham timeshare owner promotion, I tried every which way not to pay the parking fee. But what you're saying--my memory is that getting into that parking garage required a swipe of a room key at the gated entrance.
The hotel guests have to pay a parking fee? Didn't know that. Parking for the timeshare part of the resort is free w/ a parking thing to hang in your window. The entrance to the garage by the hotel had a gate arm but it was never down and we never needed to swipe a room key or anything. Major security loop hole if you ask me.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #1632
under da UP
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Coffee Filters?
Paper towels?
Toilet Paper?

The coffee maker had one of those permanent filters in it. Clorox wipes and air freshener might be useful:-P
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #1633
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by under da UP View Post
The hotel guests have to pay a parking fee? Didn't know that. Parking for the timeshare part of the resort is free w/ a parking thing to hang in your window. The entrance to the garage by the hotel had a gate arm but it was never down and we never needed to swipe a room key or anything. Major security loop hole if you ask me.
Yes, there is a daily charge for parking at the Grand! You can park yourself, or pay extra for valet parking. Apparently in an attempt to keep Grand guests from parking for free in TS parking lots, you will notice that all the "side" entrances/exits to the parking lots have been closed, and the only entrance now is through the front guard gate.
I don't want to spoil things for future Grand guests, but I did manage to park a few times in the TS parking lot and walk over to the Grand. There was no problem with my lack of a parking permit.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #1634
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Coffee Filters?
Paper towels?
Toilet Paper?

These things are all provided. You may want to bring some dryer sheets though.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #1635
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

Great thanks! So all of these things are free of charge when they need to be replaced then! Good to know