Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #1576
lzmom_of_twins
Mouseketeer
 
lzmom_of_twins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoogrrl View Post
I was actually willing to wait till the afternoon to improve my odds, but then the front desk staff had a manager come out and explain to me that no more rooms would be available, even if I waited. I hope this is only because I was there during "peak season."



lzmom_of_twins -- I'm not sure if it's a common problem, but it's the only one I saw throughout my entire stay.
Another question... are all the towers outdated or are some updated??? Should I *try* requesting a certain tower?
__________________
Christina DH :
Twins (9) DS DD Baby Girl
lzmom_of_twins is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #1577
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I'm not sure any grease is required. Higher floors or different views aren't reservable categories, so it's not like getting an "upgrade" in view as you might in a Disney resort. If you don't like your room assignment, simply ask at the front desk if a higher floor/different location might be available. You might improve your odds by making it clear you're willing to wait longer for your room to come free from housekeeping if that's what it takes.
While some Disney resort fans may want to bring the "call ahead and request game" to Bonnet Creek, I have seen no evidence it does anything other than increase the chances of being disappointed at check-in.

As far as I can tell, your best bet is to ask what is available when you arrive at the front desk. You may get what you want. Hopefully you won't be stuck in a room on the ground floor by the mini-golf area.

I'm sure Wyndham would love to figure out a way to charge people for views like the Disney resorts do, but since it is a time-share hopefully they are stuck with first-come, first-served.
Upatnoon is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #1578
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzmom_of_twins View Post
We have taken family pics at the Grand Floridian. They have a nice beach. If you have a car, just drive there, tell them you are there to ck out the property or have ice cream (whatever) and they will let you in. I havent stayed at WBC yet so no clue what they have there.


Ok *most* of what you posted I can handle but a COCKROACH No way!!!! Is this a common problem at this hotel????
Cockroaches and many, many other bugs are all over Florida, and they don't care if it's the Wyndham, Waldorf or Wilderness Lodge, they'll show up anywhere.

Is it a problem? No, but if you want a guarantee you won't see one, then you'll just have to decide if visiting Disney is worth the risk!
Upatnoon is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #1579
matt&suzanne
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34

I thought I'd provide some thoughts that my wife and I had about Bonnet Creek after staying there for the first time in October of 2011.

Prior to Bonnet, we were exclusively DVC renters. We found ourselves at Boardwalk with a 1BR more often than not. We've also stayed at OKW, Beach Club, and Saratoga. I've personally been wanting to stay at Wilderness Lodge and want to get back to Beach Club again now that kids are about old enough to fully enjoy the great pool there.

Last year we decided to save a few dollars since we were spending some money outside of vacation stuff. We opted for a 2BR at Bonnet Creek.

We were in Luna tower, quite high up. Don't recall the floor but it was high enough that we kept the kids off the balcony...it was a LONG way down. The view was great. We were overlooking the pool and could see the golf course on the other side of Osceola parkway.

The theming was very nice but it was just missing that little bit of Disney extra. It was hard to put our finger on it exactly. The kids loved the two bedroom layout and they had a blast just playing in their own room, complete with TV for cartoons. They also loved the lazy river and the mini-golf was a big hit for them.

I think what my wife and I missed the most was being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios from the Boardwalk. I also missed the general feel that comes with staying at the Boardwalk and the outside areas.

But the money saved was significant, over $1000 for more room and great amenities.

After a lot of weighing of pros and cons, we decided that for our trip this October we were going to book at Bonnet Creek again. This time for a 2BR Presidential suite. We took our kids opinions into account. They both really wanted to stay at Bonnet again, primarily driven by the Lazy River and the mini-golf.

So despite a bit of reluctance over some of the lost theming and magic, we were drawn back in by the amenities, very nice suites, and considerable savings...plus we're still on Disney property. Maybe it'll be Beach Club next year...
matt&suzanne is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #1580
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)
 
blessedby3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Blue Ridge, Virginia
Posts: 7,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt&suzanne View Post
I thought I'd provide some thoughts that my wife and I had about Bonnet Creek after staying there for the first time in October of 2011.

Prior to Bonnet, we were exclusively DVC renters. We found ourselves at Boardwalk with a 1BR more often than not. We've also stayed at OKW, Beach Club, and Saratoga. I've personally been wanting to stay at Wilderness Lodge and want to get back to Beach Club again now that kids are about old enough to fully enjoy the great pool there.

Last year we decided to save a few dollars since we were spending some money outside of vacation stuff. We opted for a 2BR at Bonnet Creek.

We were in Luna tower, quite high up. Don't recall the floor but it was high enough that we kept the kids off the balcony...it was a LONG way down. The view was great. We were overlooking the pool and could see the golf course on the other side of Osceola parkway.

The theming was very nice but it was just missing that little bit of Disney extra. It was hard to put our finger on it exactly. The kids loved the two bedroom layout and they had a blast just playing in their own room, complete with TV for cartoons. They also loved the lazy river and the mini-golf was a big hit for them.

I think what my wife and I missed the most was being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios from the Boardwalk. I also missed the general feel that comes with staying at the Boardwalk and the outside areas.

But the money saved was significant, over $1000 for more room and great amenities.

After a lot of weighing of pros and cons, we decided that for our trip this October we were going to book at Bonnet Creek again. This time for a 2BR Presidential suite. We took our kids opinions into account. They both really wanted to stay at Bonnet again, primarily driven by the Lazy River and the mini-golf.

So despite a bit of reluctance over some of the lost theming and magic, we were drawn back in by the amenities, very nice suites, and considerable savings...plus we're still on Disney property. Maybe it'll be Beach Club next year...
I am afraid this is what will happen to us. We love staying on property and this will be our first time at BC. My DH loves the extra space we had at BLT (1 BR) and I think he will want to stay at BC all the time for the space and savings.
We stayed at POP on our trip last year, and he said "no more". He just cant take the regular hotel rooms with our group of 6 (we actually had 8 on that trip with bringing the kids friends) and we cant afford a 2BR at a villa!!
__________________
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA/1 night at ASM
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (23) DS(18) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!

blessedby3 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1581
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,579

Quote:
I am afraid this is what will happen to us.
You know, your situation perfectly illustrates the essential trade-off of WDW lodging. There are three things you might want in a WDW stay:

1: To be in a Disney resort.
2: To have a reasonable amount of space/amenities in your room/resort
3: To spend a reasonable amount of money.

But, for most people, you simply can't have all three at the same time. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions. So, you have to decide which one you are most willing to live without. When I'm traveling with my family, space is the non-negotiable must-have. And, having stayed in several DVC units now, we've found that we like them, but we don't like them so much that we are willing to pay a huge premium for them. So, when we can get one via timeshare exchange, we are happy to take it. If that's not possible, we'd rather stay at Bonnet than spend what it costs to go DVC as owners or renters.
Brian Noble is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #1582
Beemitchcowski
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 250

I am so excited about our upcoming trip/stay at Bonnet Creek! We plan on grilling out at least once during our trip. Are the grills a far walk/drive from the rooms?

Also..from what I have read on this board about Bonnet Creek...I think the only thing that stops some people from booking this resort/timeshare is because it isn't technically "DISNEY"! If Disney owned it..and it came with their transportation/EMH..and such...people wouldn't give it a second thought!.....BUT...it wouldn't be affordable....so I'm glad Disney doesn't own it!
Beemitchcowski is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #1583
Beemitchcowski
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 250

Also, we will be checking in after 9pm on a Friday....is that a "bad" time to check in.....in regards to getting a room with a nice view (doesn't have to be fireworks) we just have 2 young kids so I don't want an area that will be really loud at night.
Beemitchcowski is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #1584
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzmom_of_twins View Post
Ok *most* of what you posted I can handle but a COCKROACH No way!!!! Is this a common problem at this hotel????
As someone else mentioned, it's more of a general florida thing. Also, Palmetto bugs are quite common in Florida (and they fly), which a lot of people assume are cockroaches due to some similarities.

You'll occasionally spot a bug or two while visiting just about anyplace in Florida. I haven't seen any evidence of a major infestation issue at this resort however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzmom_of_twins View Post
Another question... are all the towers outdated or are some updated??? Should I *try* requesting a certain tower?
I tend to request a tower more because of it's proximity to certain amenities more than anything else. The 3 oldest towers should be completing their refurbs in the spring (tower 3 is the last one), so I wouldn't worry much about something being "outdated"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemitchcowski View Post
I am so excited about our upcoming trip/stay at Bonnet Creek! We plan on grilling out at least once during our trip. Are the grills a far walk/drive from the rooms?
Usually there is a grill location next to each of the towers, so no, it's not far. (beyond the simple act of leaving your room, going down the elevator to leave the building, and then walking to the end of the building to the grill location next to it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemitchcowski View Post
Also, we will be checking in after 9pm on a Friday....is that a "bad" time to check in.....in regards to getting a room with a nice view (doesn't have to be fireworks) we just have 2 young kids so I don't want an area that will be really loud at night.
In some ways, it'll depend mostly on just how busy the resort is at the time, but in general I tend to prefer checking in later in the evening. The lobby tends to be much more relaxed after the mad rush of people trying to check in at 4.
DCTooTall is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #1585
Chelley00
DIS Veteran
 
Chelley00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzmom_of_twins View Post
Ok *most* of what you posted I can handle but a COCKROACH No way!!!! Is this a common problem at this hotel????
I bet it was a palmetto bug. We had some in our room at the Poly. They are everywhere on Florida.
__________________
Chelley00 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #1586
skjuls
U2 Fanatic and True Blood Lover
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemitchcowski View Post
Also, we will be checking in after 9pm on a Friday....is that a "bad" time to check in.....in regards to getting a room with a nice view (doesn't have to be fireworks) we just have 2 young kids so I don't want an area that will be really loud at night.
I checked in at 7:00 pm last Friday and never requested a room because I really didn't care as I was only going to be there for 3 nights.

Our 2 bedroom was in Tower 3 with a lake view and it ended up being a fireworks view from Epcot as well.

You can always two weeks in advance and put in your requests about noise. And just check again to see what is available when you arrive.
__________________
Upcoming Disney trips: July 2012 DL
Past Disney trips: Feb 2012 DTD only Bonnet Creek (Busch Gardens, USO, Aquatica, Winter the Dolphin and Caps hockey) August 2011 Saratoga Springs, June 2010 WDW Bonnet Creek, June 2009 WDW, Jan 2009 WDW, Aug 2008 WDW, January 2008 WDW, June 2007 DL, June 2006 WDW (Character Dining only and DTD), Nov 2005 DL, May 2003 DL, Dec 2001 WDW, Oct 2000 Disneyland Paris, June 1996 WDW, June 1995 WDW, 1994 WDW, 1992 WDW, 1989-1991 WDW once a year, Summer 1985 DL
skjuls is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #1587
gretchenohar@hotmail


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Western New York
Posts: 2,639

Another Question re: Check In

I understand we can't check in until 4PM. However, is it possible to do an early "check-in" (paperwork, etc) like you can at WDW, then leave and come back after 4? We'll be arriving around 10AM...
If it is possible to do a "preliminary check in" earlier in the day (and I'm sure the room won't be ready); is it also possible to leave your luggage? Would we be able to take advantage of the amenities, such as the pool, etc.?
Thanks!
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #1588
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
I understand we can't check in until 4PM. However, is it possible to do an early "check-in" (paperwork, etc) like you can at WDW, then leave and come back after 4? We'll be arriving around 10AM...
If it is possible to do a "preliminary check in" earlier in the day (and I'm sure the room won't be ready); is it also possible to leave your luggage? Would we be able to take advantage of the amenities, such as the pool, etc.?
Thanks!
Definitely. We have stayed at BC 3 times in last 3 years. We never stay the first night of our trip. We come from UK so we always stay somewhere close by the first night as we arrive late and that way we get to BC about 10am. We have found that by doing this we have success in getting the room we want. We always request main building as we like the hotel feel. On 2 occasions the room hasn't be ready which is fine as we leave our luggage there and go to a water park and then come back after 3. We are there for 3 weeks in August. staying at Universal first 4 nights so will do the same again. I always call 2 weeks before to request room and then 2 days before just to douwble check they have my reservation. Hope this helps.
Portugal1000 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #1589
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,018

Whats August like at BC

We always stay December and love it. Have 3 weeks in August and just wondering if anyone could comment on what August is like. Guess the pools will be busier but interested in anyones experiences. This is our 9th trip in 7 years to Disney so we tend to relax more now so looking forward to enjoying the resort more.
Portugal1000 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #1590
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchenohar@hotmail View Post
I understand we can't check in until 4PM. However, is it possible to do an early "check-in" (paperwork, etc) like you can at WDW, then leave and come back after 4? We'll be arriving around 10AM...
If it is possible to do a "preliminary check in" earlier in the day (and I'm sure the room won't be ready); is it also possible to leave your luggage? Would we be able to take advantage of the amenities, such as the pool, etc.?
Thanks!
In general, I'd say that an Early Checkin is not offered, at least on the main 3 checkin days. (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). One of the "perks" of a VIP level of Wyndham ownership is the ability to check in earlier than everyone else, so I'd expect some complaints from VIP's if they allowed people to check in earlier. There also isn't a whole lot of paperwork that you are required to fill out when you check in from my experience. I'm usually in and out within 5-10min once I get to a rep. (name, credit card for deposit, number of keys.).

You can however have Bell Services hold your bags if you arrive early, and they usually don't have any issues with you hitting the pools, using the shuttles, and some of the amenities before you check in. I'm not entirely sure how the pool towel checkout process would work without a room number, but if you tell them you are waiting to check in they might have a way they work with it.
DCTooTall is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.