Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #1531
mkpat
Watcha Dooin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
I am really excited after finding this thread. We were going to rent a condo about 2 miles off property and then found a good price for a 2 bedroom here. We are also using Vacation Strategy as they seemed to have the best price that I found online.

This will be our first time staying "off" property so I was a little hesitant at first but with APs, it just doesn't make sense to pay a higher price for a Value Resort when we can get 2 bedrooms here with a full kitchen to offset some of the cost of food.

I'm only a few pages into this thread so time to curl up with a blanket on the couch and read, read, read!

Thanks for all the great info!
I am going in March for the first time (we are DVC members) and I am also a little apprehensive, I guess moreso on the "experience" other than anything else. By that I mean the buses, dining plan, resort hoping, etc. Having not read through all 100+ pages of this thread, but has anyone that has stayed on Disney property before ever stayed here, and would you do it again?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1532
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpat View Post
I am going in March for the first time (we are DVC members) and I am also a little apprehensive, I guess moreso on the "experience" other than anything else. By that I mean the buses, dining plan, resort hoping, etc. Having not read through all 100+ pages of this thread, but has anyone that has stayed on Disney property before ever stayed here, and would you do it again?
We used to be strictly on Disney property. Then we found this Bonnet Creek. To me the amenities are more plentiful, the rooms way nicer and roomier (in the Deluxe they are a lot nicer and in the Presidential they are way nicer, in my opinion, than anything Disney has to offer in the Moderates or higher categories. I'm comparing to Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Californian Lodge, and Wilderness Resort Lodge.)

We never use their bus system, so I can't tell you about that. We always rent a car so we can come and go as we please. The drive to any of the parks from Bonnet Creek is a piece of cake and become second nature very quickly, the parking at Bonnet Creek is good, especially if you stay in Tower 6. We have had a few issues where my husband couldnt find something right up on entering the parking lot and just dropped the kids and I off at the door of Tower 6 then by the time we were up in the room he was coming up after parking.

For us, it was so nice we bought at Bonnet Creek, even after comparing to DVC, and that took a lot of thinking because we are truly Disney fanatics. But, in the end BC was a way better deal for a nicer resort, and we can of course stay other places too.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #1533
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've stayed on property. At pop, CS, OKW, Poly, POFQ and WL.

Here's the thing for me: Disney charges WAY too much for their rooms. Yes, there's Disney magic. Yes they make it far too easy for you to never leave the bubble. But for me the "magic" (CMs, extra touches, intense themeing, etc) isn't worth the huge amount of money. Especially not since most of the rooms on property are in my opinion run down. I stayed in a $500 room at the Poly and it wasn't worth HALF of our 3BR Presidential stay at WBC last year, which was $214 a night.

So for me, I need to feel like I got my money's worth. That's really hard at Disney. At WBC I feel like I get my money's worth and then some. I am right next to CBR, I can see Pop, Swan, Dolphin, Epcot Ball, ToT, so I still feel like I am close to the magic. But there are pluses beyond a Disney resort, too.
WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012
DCL Magic March 2013 * Currently Planning: WDW Beach Club/Swan August 2013
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #1534
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
has anyone that has stayed on Disney property before ever stayed here, and would you do it again?
Yes (OKW, VWL, and BWV) and yes.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #1535
teacher31
DIS Veteran

I contacted Vacation Strategy two days ago and haven't heard back. Is this typical?
June 2003 - POR, First trip: "We might come back once more before we die." June 2004 - POR: "Does it ever stop raining?"June 2005 - FW Cabins: "I wonder if the movers unpacked the house yet?"June 2006 - POR: "Are you going to wear that tiara all the time, Katherine?"June 2007 - POR: "Do we want to be the safari family of the day? YES!" Our dream!October 2008 - Dolphin: "Why do you want to go to Disney when you turn 40?"Thanksgiving 2008 - "Dolphin: I think I like summer better, don't you?"October 2009 - POR: "Who knew it could be so cold in October?" Freezing at MNSSHPMay 2010 - POR/Dolphin: "Why did we miss POR?" October 2010 - CS: "I think I like the dining plan. You?"
May 2011 - DOL: "How much are you going to eat, Owen?" October 2011: "I miss Katherine." May 2012: "Can we not do Universal again and go back to Disney?" You betcha.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #1536
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Are the grills gas grills?
WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012
DCL Magic March 2013 * Currently Planning: WDW Beach Club/Swan August 2013
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #1537
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I own both Wyndham and Disney timeshare.
I have stayed at Star Island (2006), Bonnet Creek (2009), AKL Jambo House (2010), and Wyndham Grand and Old Key West (2011).
It actually costs me less to stay at Disney (in a studio) than at Bonnet Creek. Of course, at BC I'm getting a big 1 BR condo.
AKL is a truly unique experience. No other resort can compete with that.
Having stayed at Wyndham Grand, and then moving to OKW on the same vacation, I can honestly say that I enjoyed OKW much more. Being able to use all of Disney's benefits was great.
That being said, I still feel BC is a great resort. It has loads of amenities, is conveniently located, and is priced right for the renter. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. And in fact, in December I'm planning 3 nights there before moving on to either OKW or AKL.
I hope that helps.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #1538
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher31 View Post
I contacted Vacation Strategy two days ago and haven't heard back. Is this typical?
I contacted them yesterday for the first time and they got back to me right away with a price and details. I paid the deposit last night and haven't heard anything since. I am hoping it is bc it is a weekend (and long weekend to some). If I don't hear anything tomorrow or get some sort of confirmation that they got my deposit, I will call Tuesday morning. Did you try calling them? I found them through VRBO and contacted them through there.

***Update***
In the 20min between when I posted this and now I got my email confirmation from them with my dates and some more information about requesting a room. Hopefully you will hear something soon, if not, I would give them a call. If you need their contact info let me know!

June 2014-POFQ Quick 4 night trip for SWW then off to the beach!

September 2014-Split Stay. 4 nights FD AKL, 10 nights BCV for F&W

Me DH DD (infant) DS (teen) Ellie :

Last edited by alicia080979; 02-19-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #1539
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

GraceLuvsWDW, yes the grills are gas. We didn't use them, but I checked them out once as I was walking by.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #1540
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

some randon thoughts on our WBC stay

We checked out this morning and are now home in Maine. I had intended to post more while we were at WBC, but it just didn't happen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we spend most of our time at the parks, so we don't take full advantage of all that WBC has to offer.

I was a bit surprised that we given practically no information at check-in about the resort's facilities and amenities. There was no info about the restaurants or snack bars, and we had to come up with that ourselves. A packet of information about all of that would have been very useful. Maybe that was an oversight on their part, but it would have been helpful.

We did do the miniature golf. I found it odd that nowhere on the mini-golf course does it say where to get the equipment. We had to go back to the room and call the front desk. Turns out you have to get the equipment from the activities centers in either Tower 6 or the main building. While we were playing, several people passing by asked us where they could get the equipment, because they hadn't been able to figure it out.

We were at WBC on an RCI exchange. I didn't expect housekeeping, but I did think there might be another supply of towels delivered mid-week. Turns out they don't do that, unless you ask for it, which we did. They promptly brought us enough for an army!

I had posted previously about how to reset the a/c so that it cycles on and off and isn't dependent on the motion sensors. It definitely works, but it seemed that, if the temperature was adjusted again, it reverted back to the motion sensor business. I'm not positive about this, but I think that's why we were too warm for a couple of nights after I had reset the thermostat. What seemed to work best was to do the reset after you've adjusted the temperature to whatever you want it to be for a while, like at bedtime. We were much more comfortable after I figured that out.

I only used the buses once, when my husband and son decided to go back to WBC in our rental car and I wanted to stay at Epcot. The bus lane was easy to find, and the bus was right on time. The schedule seemed adequate enough - lots of trips in the morning and evening, and fewer in the afternoon, but still a reasonable number.

As I had mentioned earlier, we got absolutely no hassle about attending the timeshare presentation when we got our parking pass, and we didn't get so much as a message about it all week long. Maybe it just depends on who you talk to. If you see Sandy at the parking pass desk, try to talk with her - she was the one who was so low key about it with us.

All in all, we had a great time at WBC, and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The location is perfect - just a few minutes from all the WDW parks - and we found the facilities to be top notch.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #1541
southbound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmom4285 View Post
We checked out this morning and are now home in Maine. I had intended to post more while we were at WBC, but it just didn't happen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we spend most of our time at the parks, so we don't take full advantage of all that WBC has to offer.

I was a bit surprised that we given practically no information at check-in about the resort's facilities and amenities. There was no info about the restaurants or snack bars, and we had to come up with that ourselves. A packet of information about all of that would have been very useful. Maybe that was an oversight on their part, but it would have been helpful.

We did do the miniature golf. I found it odd that nowhere on the mini-golf course does it say where to get the equipment. We had to go back to the room and call the front desk. Turns out you have to get the equipment from the activities centers in either Tower 6 or the main building. While we were playing, several people passing by asked us where they could get the equipment, because they hadn't been able to figure it out.

We were at WBC on an RCI exchange. I didn't expect housekeeping, but I did think there might be another supply of towels delivered mid-week. Turns out they don't do that, unless you ask for it, which we did. They promptly brought us enough for an army!

I had posted previously about how to reset the a/c so that it cycles on and off and isn't dependent on the motion sensors. It definitely works, but it seemed that, if the temperature was adjusted again, it reverted back to the motion sensor business. I'm not positive about this, but I think that's why we were too warm for a couple of nights after I had reset the thermostat. What seemed to work best was to do the reset after you've adjusted the temperature to whatever you want it to be for a while, like at bedtime. We were much more comfortable after I figured that out.

I only used the buses once, when my husband and son decided to go back to WBC in our rental car and I wanted to stay at Epcot. The bus lane was easy to find, and the bus was right on time. The schedule seemed adequate enough - lots of trips in the morning and evening, and fewer in the afternoon, but still a reasonable number.

As I had mentioned earlier, we got absolutely no hassle about attending the timeshare presentation when we got our parking pass, and we didn't get so much as a message about it all week long. Maybe it just depends on who you talk to. If you see Sandy at the parking pass desk, try to talk with her - she was the one who was so low key about it with us.

All in all, we had a great time at WBC, and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The location is perfect - just a few minutes from all the WDW parks - and we found the facilities to be top notch.

Thanks for posting your experiences with us, jaysmom! Are you going to do a trip report? I'd love to read it and see your pics. We are going to be doing the same as you guys... at the parks all day, and not using the resort to its potential. It does seem strange they don't give you an information package, but maybe that's to cut down on extra costs, as they know a lot of people are heading to the parks. It would be nice to be offered something, you're right, it would be very helpful.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #1542
sherabby
DIS Veteran

Just booked for August 12th! I don't want to wish away our summer but it cannot get here soon enough!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #1543
lzmom_of_twins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmom4285 View Post
GraceLuvsWDW, yes the grills are gas. We didn't use them, but I checked them out once as I was walking by.
Are they on the balcony? That would be awesome! My DH can do all the cooking We are renting a 2bdrm May 5-9 before going on a DC. Cant wait!!! Oh 1 more question... if we were to sit thru the time share deal... what kind of free things do they offer. I LOVE FREE! I know those things can be a pain, but we rented from a timeshare owner in the WI Dells in Jan, and the "talk" was only 2 hrs, and we got $50 AMX GC, $50 to a rest. out there and 100 tokens for the kids. If they give free Disney ticket(s) I am so there!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #1544
RvingDude
Earning My Ears

When do they assign a room?

Does WBC ever assign a room number to your reservation prior to check-in?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #1545
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

lzmom_of_twins, no, the grills aren't on the balconies. That would be cool, but I'm thinking it would be a fire hazard. There are grilling areas set up outside the towers - two large gas grills on each end of a patio of sorts with picnic tables. I can't speak to what the free offer is for sitting through the time share presentation, since we declined that. Hopefully someone who did attend can tell you what it is.

RvingDude, I can't speak to exactly when room numbers are assigned. But when we checked in early on the morning of the 12th, we were told we would be in Tower 5, 13th floor with a pool view. The desk clerk clearly knew which room we were assigned, although he obviously wasn't going to give us that specific information until the room itself was ready later in the day. So it would appear that the rooms are assigned before check-in.

Last edited by jaysmom4285; 02-20-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Closed Thread