Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Scotch
DIS Veteran

Day Trip: Homosassa Springs vs. Airboat Tour

I'm planning the day trip portions for our next WDW trip. I'm wondering if anyone has done both of the following (not necessarily on same trip): (1) visited Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, about 1.5 hours away from Orlando; and (2) Wild Willly's Airboat Tour in St. Cloud, about 30 mins. away? I know the wildlife we'd expect to see at each would be generally different (other than alligators and certain birds). And from the description it sounds like part of the Homosassa park visit would include boat tours. I'd like to know whether the scenery of both locations would be similar or any other points that would help me decide whether it would be worth going to both on the same 10-day trip.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
sympatico
DIS Veteran

I have no personal experience with either but will direct you to a trip report on Wild Willy's airboats . It starts on page 5 post 73. Gina always has the best trip reports with lots of pictures. She went over Christmas so it may be chillier than when you go. Read the whole report, it's very good.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ave+joy&page=5
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
I have no personal experience with either but will direct you to a trip report on Wild Willy's airboats . It starts on page 5 post 73. Gina always has the best trip reports with lots of pictures. She went over Christmas so it may be chillier than when you go. Read the whole report, it's very good.
Why, thank you Wanda!! You just made my day!

And to the OP.....we LOVED Wild Willy's Airboat Tour. To be honest, this was the one activity that my two skeptics weren't very keen or excited about, and ended up being one of their trip highlights. We had a fantastic time. I would book their tour again in a heartbeat.

We combined Wild Willy's with a half day at Gatorland, which was a nice pairing (both theme-wise and time-wise, as neither attraction is a full-day thing).

One tip: if you decide to do Wild Willy's tour, email them ahead of time and they will send you very detailed and easy-to-follow directions to get you to their facility with no tolls.

Check out my trip report as Wanda suggested, and if you have any specific questions, feel free to toss 'em out.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

The springs are nice and they have manatees you can see and lots of different wildlife. The Hippo is still there the last time I was in town and it is a nice walking park with some learning and pretty views. I would also check to see if Weeki Wachee has something that lets you combine the park on the as day since they are both State Parks. They have a really neat mermaid show and then they have a water area where you swim in the springs with water slides and such too

Airboat ride is closer though and fast is always fun

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Scotch
DIS Veteran

I appreciate all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
It is precisely Gina's awesome trip report that sold me on Wild Willy's airboat tour! (Thanks, Gina!)

It's just that Homosassa Springs also has rescue manatees, alligators, hippos, etc. and it is a state park (which we love to support). So I'm wondering if we should try to do both; or if that's too duplicative (and we should save one day for another outing). We're visiting over winter break; I know that we'd want to add a few non-theme park days to get away from the holiday madness. I also have orange grove/picking on my list. Gatorland is a maybe -- if we do Homosassa Springs and see alligators in the wild, then there is no need to visit a alligator theme park.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Scotch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson96 View Post
I would also check to see if Weeki Wachee has something that lets you combine the park on the as day since they are both State Parks. They have a really neat mermaid show and then they have a water area where you swim in the springs with water slides and such too
I haven't looked into this place. Thanks -- I'll go check it out.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
It is precisely Gina's awesome trip report that sold me on Wild Willy's airboat tour! (Thanks, Gina!)

I also have orange grove/picking on my list.
You are most welcome! Glad the TR has helped give you a new vacation idea.

We are visiting an orange grove for the first time on our August trip as well. We plan to go to Showcase of Citrus and pick some fresh fruit, take the monster truck eco-tour, and enjoy a slower-paced day. I love trying out one or two of the less traditional Orlando attractions on each of our vacations.....and so far, not a disappointment among them!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote