Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Lady_Aurora
Earning My Ears

Magic Kingdom QS seat policy

Does anyone have any information on the new policy at the Magic Kingdom Quick Services, namely Pecos Bills, Cosmic Ray's and Columbia HH? From what I have heard, you are unable to get a seat unless you are with your whole party and you have food. You are also not able to use the bathrooms in the building unless you have food.

Any info????

Lady_Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Nadjalu
DIS Veteran

The seating policy is usually only in affect during high crowd periods. And yes during those times your party cannot go find a seat while you get the food. Everyone has to stay together.
I have not heard of anytimes you are not allowed to use the bathroom without eating there. So not sure where this info came into play.
The seating policy has been on and off for about a year and half and again is only during high crowds, during meal times.
If you eat off time you won't find this.

Have experienced both ways, it really isn't a big deal with everyone having to stay together. It goes very quickly and the CM helps you find a seat, so it goes smoothly.
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

We have experienced the seating policy during several trips that were at busy time, President's Day, day after Thanksgiving, etc. We love it. Means that you don't have a bunch of people wandering around the restaurant while their food gets cold, looking at a bunch of people taking up table space for half an hour before their food arrives!
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom View Post
We have experienced the seating policy during several trips that were at busy time, President's Day, day after Thanksgiving, etc. We love it.

1) It has been in effect now for 1½ years.
2) It is up to the eatery's manager when to enact the rule.
3) But, people have really liked it.
4) Except those who want to grab a table and hog it.

5) Sure, you wait for the whole group to get the food.
6) But, there are not people without food taking tables.
7) It is about time this rule was designed.

TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I personally haven't experienced this policy, even when I have been to the Magic Kingdom in December before Christmas. However no matter the time of year whenever I am at any of the parks and have lunch at a Quick Service location I always eat at 11:00 AM because the lines are not as long and there are a lot of tables available. So maybe if you are able to eat around that time the places you mentioned in the Magic Kingdom won't have this rule in effect.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Even having been at WDW at Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break and Memorial Day on more than one trip, we experienced the "new" QS seating system for the first time last month (Memorial Day weekend) at Cosmic Rays. Once you have your food, you get into a seating line and CM at the head of the line signals back and forth with CMs out on the floor to ID open tables. When your table is available, you are directed to the CM on the floor who shows you where to sit. It worked pretty well, IMO, but then I hate the whole table vulture method of finding seats.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

As long as they have CM's serving as air traffic control, then the system should work fine. But if they simply have a single gate keeper preventing you from entereing the seating area until you have your food leaving you to fend for yourself once you enter, then that would be worse than no policy at all. Such a "non-system" would force you to become a table vulture with hot food on your tray getting cold, instead of a table vulture with no food yet, waiting for your order to be prepared. Frankly, I'd prefer the latter. But certainly the best option is for an orderly line with CM's directing the next party in line to the next open table. Otherwise, one wrong turn and someone who has been looking for a table for 10 minutes could miss out on a table that opens up on the other side of the dining hall which could go to someone who has been waiting for all of 10 seconds.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
rachellm
Mouseketeer

Interesting.

Is there somewhere for people to stand and wait - or does your whole party have to wait in line for food? We'll have a baby, a toddler and 3 or 4 adults (depending on which day.) I hadn't really planned to have the whole crew standing in line!
rachellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

This topic comes up around every peak park time

WARNING - play nice or this will be shut down in record time

we realize everyone is special and has their very own reason for needing a table before the food is ready

if that is the case, avoid the places that manage the seating and you will be just fine. Or goto a TS

Thank you everyone who has posted so far and been so nice
Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

While we don't go during peak times we did have an experience a few year back at Restaurantosaurus (of all places) The place was packed for lunch and after getting our condiments, etc. we couldn't find any open tables. There was a CM helping people get seats. The were 2 men sitting at a table for 6. The CM nicely asked if they wouldn't mind us joining them (we were a party of 3-2 women, 1 girl). They said okay, but you could tell by their body language, etc. that they weren't happy sharing their large table. We tried to make small conversation but they basically ingored us and spoke to each other in French (I think)

I'm fine with them not allowing guest to hold tables. I hate walking around looking for someplace to sit while my food gets cold.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
taymaesmom
DIS Veteran

We've encountered this a few times and we LOVE it! No more fighting for a table. Its more of a problem at Cosmic Rays then else where since Cosmic Rays have multiple lines but which ever of us gets done first just waits over to the side and then we get in the seating line. Once you get to the front of the seating line the CM there directs you to another who is waiting at "your" table and then they leave you once you get there. It works great. They also block all entrances to people trying to "hold" tables and direct them back to the lines. They are really diligent about it.

As for bathrooms, we were there the week following Christmas and I went in once to use the bathrooms without getting food with no problems. The bathrooms aren't in the main seating area so no issues there.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

I didn't know about this system. We didn't see it in July when we went last, but then again, I'm not sure we ate at those QS restaurants during peak hours.

I love it! Sounds like a good fix to a difficult problem. I hated finding, hoarding or anything that involved that scenario in the first place...PLUS my DH was always stuck carrying all this food back to the table for the rest of us!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
whacked
DIS Veteran

Christmas week 2010...

We were there Christmas week 2010, and never noticed this occurring. It may be that we were dining early (they had discount coupons for dining before 11:30 or 4:30 at some CS places).

That being said, I would agree that this is a benefit rather than a problem if it is occurring when it's crowded.

Just get to the parks early!

whacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

We ate at Cosmic Rays Friday, June 10th around 11:00 a.m. and it was very busy, BUT they were not implementing this policy. I'm on the fence about it - I see both sides.

What did bother me . . . a family of 5 taking up two tables eating their "home" brought food when people who had bought food had no place to sit. Please do not misunderstand me, I certainly have no problem with people bringing their own food to the parks, but either eat: 1) outside if it's busy at the counter service locations or 2) at an off-time when no paying customers are searching for an empty table to eat at.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
candy0730
DIS Veteran

We had this happen last Septmeber at Cosmic Rays. The process went very smooth until I left my husband and child to get some cheese sauce. The CM almost didn't let me back to my table. Next time I will be sure to grab all condiments before getting a table.

September 2009 - CSR
September 2010 - CSR/CR
September 2011 - POR
March 2012 - Disneyland - Hojos
September 2012 - AoA
July 2013 - braving summer crowds at DL- FFI
candy0730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
policy, quick service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: