Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #31
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm so glad you've started. Off to bed (long day tomorrow), but I'll be back to read soon.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #32
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Your title has sparked my curiosity, Will be subbing
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #33
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm here! I'm so glad you've started. Off to bed (long day tomorrow), but I'll be back to read soon.

Oddly enough, I have a long day today as well. Swim class, doctor, Nemo to school, dentist, pick Nemo up from school...I plan on collapsing tonight. Preferrably with some alcoholic libation to sooth my travel weary soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Your title has sparked my curiosity, Will be subbing

Oh my goodness! A real, official commando!!!

I hope I live up to your standards. I'm sure that I did at certain points. And I'll apologize in advance for our moments of whimsy. After all, we are

Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #34
Bethany1023
Earning My Ears

delurking to try and figure out how to subscribe. I too have known the shock of losing a parent, as we come up on fathers day I will celebrate with my DH, then have a cry for my own dad.

So glad you guys are taking this trip. have fun!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #35
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Okay, caught up.

Glad you arrived safely. And love the room location and the view! I am sure that your angel definitely had something to do with that.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #36
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany1023 View Post
delurking to try and figure out how to subscribe. I too have known the shock of losing a parent, as we come up on fathers day I will celebrate with my DH, then have a cry for my own dad.

So glad you guys are taking this trip. have fun!

And my deepest condolences on your loss. Mother's Day was the first holiday after my mother's passing last year and that was so hard.

I see you're new to the DIS, so how about a second And if you haven't figured it out yet, on the top of this thread, there should be a little bar that says "Thread Tools" or something to that effect. If you click on that, it'll say subscirbe to this thread, although I think that by putting the word subscribe in your last message, it does it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Okay, caught up.

Glad you arrived safely. And love the room location and the view! I am sure that your angel definitely had something to do with that.
Yay, you're caught up! How was your day? I am beat, mine was killer. Running all over the place, this is the first time I sat down.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #37
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post

Oh my goodness! A real, official commando!!!

I hope I live up to your standards. I'm sure that I did at certain points. And I'll apologize in advance for our moments of whimsy. After all, we are

I'm sure you did fine Don't apologize I'm not here to judge, as long as you had a Great time that's all that counts
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 06-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #38
LookinUp
Mouseketeer

Oooh! Commandos and pirates and bears, oh my! And by bears, I mean spectacular views. I'm hopping aboard for the ride. Me and my tissues. I'm missing my dad now, especially this close to Father's Day. But I still feel him here often, just as you felt your mom's hand in your room assignment. It's been over twenty years now, yet he still can take my breath away.

So cute to "Mickey-face" the kids instead of just blurring. Smarty-pants.

OK, ready to hear more stories, especially how Nana fits into a park commando's plans ...

Old 06-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #39
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post

And my deepest condolences on your loss. Mother's Day was the first holiday after my mother's passing last year and that was so hard.

I see you're new to the DIS, so how about a second And if you haven't figured it out yet, on the top of this thread, there should be a little bar that says "Thread Tools" or something to that effect. If you click on that, it'll say subscirbe to this thread, although I think that by putting the word subscribe in your last message, it does it for you.
Actually, the default settings for this board subscribe you automatically to any thread you post in, which is why so many people post nothing but "subscribing/subbing." I disabled it and use the "thread tools" button for any thread I actually want to watch. Though it can be frustrating sometimes if I forget and want to find a thread again.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #40
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
I'm sure you did fine Don't apologize I'm not here to judge, as long as you had a Great time that's all that counts
Ah, a non-judgemntal reader. I appreciate the open-mindedness to our caprciousness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
Oooh! Commandos and pirates and bears, oh my! And by bears, I mean spectacular views. I'm hopping aboard for the ride. Me and my tissues. I'm missing my dad now, especially this close to Father's Day. But I still feel him here often, just as you felt your mom's hand in your room assignment. It's been over twenty years now, yet he still can take my breath away.

And I know what you mean. It hasn't been as long for me, but there are moments that happen every now and then where I just feel it.

Quote:
So cute to "Mickey-face" the kids instead of just blurring. Smarty-pants.
Smarty-pants Kat, that's me!

Quote:
OK, ready to hear more stories, especially how Nana fits into a park commando's plans ...
That is the key, isn't it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
Actually, the default settings for this board subscribe you automatically to any thread you post in, which is why so many people post nothing but "subscribing/subbing." I disabled it and use the "thread tools" button for any thread I actually want to watch. Though it can be frustrating sometimes if I forget and want to find a thread again.
Really? I must have switched my default a long time ago and forgotten about it, because it doesn't work that way for me. Thanks for providing the info for our newbies!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #41
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Kat, that is a beautiful view!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #42
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

What a great start. So happy that you got all your requests-that view was awesome!!! Can;t wait to read the rest-kleenex is ready
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #43
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Kat, that is a beautiful view!
It was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
What a great start. So happy that you got all your requests-that view was awesome!!! Can;t wait to read the rest-kleenex is ready
Thank you! Kleenex at the ready.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #44
TarzansKat

The Magic Kingdom - In Which I Acquiesce To MJS’ Request

That title sounds so inappropriate, but I’m totally leaving it as is.

Pirate.

Anyway, the meaning behind the tee hee is that when talking about the trip I’d entertained the notion of us having an easy evening, perhaps staying at the hotel, or maybe even heading over to Epcot. Or perhaps making a reservation in the Magic Kingdom for dinner, any of those things would have been fine.

To which my husband said pfft, and gave me an eye roll, savvy?

Okay, maybe not. Actually, it went something more like this:

MJS- “Kat, seriously? Do you REMEMBER what happened the last time we deviated from the plan and didn’t go to the Magic Kingdom and eat at Casey’s like we always do?”

TK - “Um, yeah.” :::reluctantly agreeing, as we are never really supposed to admit our husbands are indeed, right:::

MJS - “And what did we end up doing?”

TK - “Went to the Magic Kingdom and ate at Casey’s.”

MJS - “Exactly.”

This conversation references the two, bless my family, two other instances in which we tried to do something other than go to Casey's and inevitably ended up...you guessed it...at Casey's.

Never mind that when I relayed this whole conversation to Nana, she said to me, one, that she was amused that MJS had such a forceful opinion, because he is such an easy going traveler, and two, of course we were going to Casey’s for dinner!

So the family had spoken, so it shall be.

The tradition of Casey’s is actually long standing in my family. It used to be that when I was in college, there was a flight on your departure day that pretty much gave you enough time for one last run into the Magic Kingdom. So, I always used to, no matter who I was with, go to the Magic Kingdom, have a Casey’s hot dog as my farewell meal, and shop my way down Main Street, ending in the candy store and hopefully scoring the ever elusive bag of purple cotton candy. For those of you who haven’t had purple, I refer you to Jeff Dunham and Peanut, Spark of Insanity.

For that obscure reference, PM me.

I digress.

Anyway, I promise, we really are getting to the Magic Kingdom.

Well, in recent years, especially with kiddos, that running in just doesn’t work anymore because everything takes longer with kiddos and flight times aren't as wonderful as they used to be, so it somehow became that we started every trip with Casey’s. And so began a tradition that, apparently, my husband is not willing to deviate from.

It was with this lofty goal…of heavenly, Disney-fied nitrates…that we headed to the happiest place on earth.

Now, I wasn’t really thinking too much about missing Mom as of yet. Obviously I thought of her with the fantastic room view, and let’s just say she was always in some corner of my mind. I was really focused on the kids on our way to the bus stop. Nemo was so excited and Squirt was looking ever so adorable.

On a side note, as I’m putting in this picture of the baby, I just wanted to offer a little tip to you all that I’d read about here on the DIS boards. This was quite a while ago, before a December trip I took with Mom and Nana when Nemo was about three. Someone was talking about getting those battery operated Christmas lights to wind around their stroller at night. Not only would the light up effects be cool, but it’d be easy to find the stroller.

Mom and I thought this was a great idea, and we searched high and low but couldn’t find those lights. So, Mom bought this beautiful gold garland, and when we got to Disney, we wound the garland around the handle of the stroller. We did it for purely decorative purposes, but let me tell you! Our stroller was SO easy to find in the sea of strollers any time we parked it.

I left that gold garland on for every single trip afterwards, because it was so easy to find the stroller. And when it was finally time to let go of Nemo's stroller (it broke or I totally would have used it for Squirt), I cut off a piece of that gold garland, and still have it to this day.

Were I more Sparrow-like, I'd have woven it into my hair, but as I'm not sporting pirate-y dreads as of yet, it's in a keepsake box.

This year, I wanted something different for Squirt, so I headed to the dollar store, and keeping in theme with our resort, got some lovely hibiscus garland to wind around the handle. It’s actually quite funny, because throughout the remainder of the trip, we were constantly losing flowers. It became a running joke, how many fell off today, can we find where it came from, can we reattach them. It may have been a bit of a pain, but they were inexpensive, and again, it was always soooo easy to find our stroller.

Now, to return to our regularly scheduled programming.

I have to tell you, when we finally arrived, and got to the gates, it felt the same, but also different. I just. I don’t know. I guess the best way I can describe it to you is that I saw this sign…

…and all I could think was, these are my first memories without her.

And when I saw the castle for the first time on that trip, and when I was walking on to Main Street, all I could think was, it’s still here.

I can’t believe it’s still here.

I didn’t cry at that moment, but the tears were there, right in the corners of my eyes. I mentioned this thought to my husband, the not believing it’s all still here, just chugging away, and he said, of course, what did you think would happen?

Honestly? I can’t believe Disney World keeps going without my mother in it. Much in the way that when she was in the hospital, dying, and I was driving to see her, I could not fathom that there were people in cars on the highway whose lives were completely normal. That the sun kept shining. That people were shopping and busy and working and doing. Whatever it is they did. While my mother was dying.

And it was that same feeling, for a moment. Indeed, it’s still here. And in some way, she is too.

We took our time heading down Main Street, since it was Squirt’s first time, and we stopped for the obligatory first castle photos. I have to tell you, these are some of my favorite photos from the trip. We took them ourselves, not with a photographer, and I just really like the way they came out. We’re excited, and happy to be there, and heck, we’re headed to Casey’s, so you know everyone’s happy.

We get to the famed purveyor of oh so holy hot dogs, and order. MJS heads off to secure us a table, and we get down to business. Recently, Casey’s has changed its offerings to include some fancy dressed up dogs, but we were in it for the classics, thank you very much. I do have to say, although good, and although really hitting the spot, since we were all pretty much starving, the hot dogs, buns, etc, are not the same as they used to be. I think that recently Disney must have hit on a new distributor, and it just wasn’t quite as I remembered, nevertheless, it was good.

And it was so sweet to see the baby have his first Casey’s hot dog. We gave him some of that, and some French fries as well. I’m happy to report none of those went up anyone’s nose.

It’s a long story involving Nemo as a toddler.

Perhaps another time.

With full bellies, a round of pit stops, which I should probably add, for those of you who are interested, a stop at the baby care center for Squirt and I.

Squirt was ten months old at the time of this trip, and I am still nursing him. My goal is to make it a full year, and I have to tell you, by the end of the trip, I’d gotten the hang of the whole discreet nursing public thing. In the beginning, and whenever I was near one, however, I’d take advantage of the baby care centers. First of all, they were a wonderfully cool break from the hot weather outside, and second of all, the nursing rooms were so divine. My baby is at that age where everything is so interesting, and with all the hustle and bustle of the World going on, he didn’t always want to nurse, even if he wanted to nurse. So the quiet, soothing music in the nursing rooms at the centers, and the subdued lighting was really perfect for us to have that down time and nurse with some privacy.

Anyway, I mention it for anyone who will be traveling with an infant or small child, I can’t recommend the baby care centers highly enough! Any questions, feel free to ask.

As I said, with full bellies, a round of pit stops, and a nosh for Squirt, it was time for us to develop our plan of attack.

Of course, Nemo definitely had his own ideas.

Next Chapter

Last edited by TarzansKat; 06-26-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #45
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Kat. You did great your first walk in to the MK. I so know how you feel. The first time I walked in Epcot I was fine...although the tears did want to come. It was later in the trip when they did.

I'm so glad you got to Casey's and that Squirt got his first hot dog and fries at the MK.

Can't wait to hear what Nemo's idea was for the plan of attack.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: