Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

Two moms get away to act like teenagers...or do they? The End! (Feb 18-21, 2011)

I'm doing it before it's too late...it might already be too late...so I have to make this attempt before it's simply impossible!!

It's been quite a year. I'm a 42 yr old mom from Texas -- my best friend (who currently lives in Florida, but is moving next month!) and I decided that we would book a trip for February 2011 for just ourselves, not with our families! However, I discovered in January that I had breast cancer -- and the doctor was ready to do the surgery that very week we had booked. I told him that I had booked this trip, and his reply:

"By all means go -- drink a margarita or two. Then come back, and we'll do the surgery the next week."

So, it would seem to be a bittersweet trip -- but we didn't want to make it about the cancer. It was about us, and the friendship we had together. For some background and some pre-trip info, here's the thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post38799584

Of course, when I started that thread, I didn't know about the cancer. But -- let's not make it about that. We got that junk out and I've gone through chemo since then -- radiation starts soon. It's all good from here.

We were so excited for this trip!!!

We began with a simple idea -- the idea of going to Walt Disney World for a weekend get-away...just us women. We had gone to theme parks together before as teenagers, and since growing up and having families, we've gone together as families. But we wondered what it would be like to just be "us" again -- not "mom", or "honey" -- to do what we wanted to do, when we felt like doing it.

It had been a harsh year, monetary-wise. However, God must have wanted this, because as it turned out, I got free airfare with my husband's mileage points, I got a great deal with a 4-day Park Hopper with the military, and we booked with the Disney Vacation Club! (My BFF lived close-by, and has a season pass, so it was a bit easier for her to get there!) Originally, the only place we could get was Saratoga Springs Resort -- but we jumped on a waitlist for Bay Lake Tower...and GOT IT!!

...more to come...

Two moms get away to act like teenagers...or do they? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2739158

Last edited by SimmerBaggins; 12-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
RD-SOX
Mouseketeer

I just read the original thread...
Now I am waiting..
Hurry up..
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

It was difficult to pack and plan for this trip without my family. Believe it or not, my family was gracious and loving through-out!

I'm sorry, I need to give you my name: Vickie. This is a picture of my DH and I at WDW last year -- I'm a little cheesy...

The day of the trip, we arrived ridiculously early to the airport -- I had gotten up at 3am! But this is how I am...I will get up willingly that early to get to the airport and sit...and sit...it's okay with me. I would rather be super-early, than sweating it out if I've got enough time.

What I had forgotten is how lonely that trip would be. I knew my friend (Melissa) would be there before I would, and I was happy about that. I wanted her to look at the room in case there was anything that needed taking care of -- neither one of us had ever been to BLT!

When I got to the Orlando airport, it was a little after 1pm. I didn't know what the "traffic" at Magical Express would be like, but when I got there, it was almost clear!! I took my first shots:

I almost literally had RUN to ME!! And, the reward was that I was first in line for the bus!...but even more amazingly, the ME cast member saw me and put me on a waiting bus immediately! How lucky could I get? I texted Melissa (Oh, this wasn't the first time that day -- we were in almost constant contact), and she was at the hotel already!!

Here's where a surprise comes in -- I am hoping that she will have time to add HER point of view to this TR! We did a dual report before, and it was great. However, she and her family have been house-hunting, and it might be a while...

Two moms get away to act like teenagers...or do they? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2739158
Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD-SOX View Post
Now I am waiting..
Hurry up..
Yay, my first reader!! Thanks so much...!!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

It was a LONG bus ride -- the final stop would be the Contemporary, or BLT. Melissa was asking me where I was...which stop...

There was an option...I could get off at the Polynesian Resort, and ride the monorail to the Contemporary. It was funny -- how eager I was to get on the bus, I was even more eager to get off the bus. Should I get off at the Poly? Otherwise, I was left to go to the Wilderness Lodge, and then BLT. What should I do? Which was quicker? I looked down into my bag, and spied my stow-away. Mickey wasn't talking, but it was good to know I wasn't totally alone in this decision.

I couldn't stand it...!! I had to get off the bus. It wasn't like I had to get any baggage off the bus to drag around, so I got off at the Poly.

I saw the banner, and was so excited to see the new slogan!! I had arrived...my camera was ready for anything.

I somehow juggled my things to text Melissa that I had gotten off the bus. What did we do before texting?? A phone call would have been ridiculous...

I almost felt like these scenes before me were MINE. This moment was mine, and mine alone, to enjoy, to let sink in. Every sound, every beautiful view. To prove that it was mine alone, I took this picture. How else could I take a picture, myself, of only myself in this beautiful place? It was perfect.

Even though I felt like I should be flying through the resort to prove that I could make it faster to BLT than the bus, I couldn't stop myself from rejoicing.

The problem with this is that I just missed the monorail.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
A report!! I am here!! Now I am going back to read the beginning!!!
Yay, Tink!! I am so glad we are doing our TRs at the same time...although, I am woefully behind!!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

I had just put this enormous pressure on myself to get to the Contemporary in a "timely" manner. What was my rush? I don't know -- other than I was ready to see and do EVERYTHING! So this "waiting on the monorail" thing really hampered my style.

Finally, it arrived (of course), and I jumped on. I don't really recall anyone in the cabin with me...wait, I do. There was a mother/father/little princess, and the little princess was pooped, I think. I remember smiling at them, but they must have thought it odd that a lady was getting on all by herself...looking excited. I don't hide my emotions very well.

We came around the bend from the Grand Floridian, and I was met with this view:

Melissa was texting me. Where was I? Seems like she had had to go to her truck to get something, but was going to meet me in the lobby where the monorail came in.

As we neared the Contemporary, I knew Melissa would try to snap a picture before I did. But -- I had the advantage. She had no idea which car I would come out of, but I had a pretty good idea where she'd be...hmm...

Sure enough, I saw her before she saw me...SCORE!! I had my camera ready to get the first shot, and decided on video!!

http://wdwbrownvideo.shutterfly.com/pictures/20

If you notice, she is well aware of the fact that I "got her" before she got me! What's funnier is that she's in the "going to get on the monorail" side, and I'm heading "out of the monorail" -- instead of waiting on her, I get confused and just head down! What a reception, right?

That's okay...I waited at the bottom of the escalator...!!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

I was on your PTR. I'm glad you started a TR.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
MademoiselleKel
Earning My Ears

Woo! Let the party begin
Next trip: Animal Kingdom Lodge (October 2014)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm here!

Hey, Danielle!! I'm reading your TR from Feb -- you have info on the Boardwalk, which I am VERY interested in! Thanks, so much for tagging along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MademoiselleKel View Post
Woo! Let the party begin
MademoiselleKel, I am loving saying your username...!! Yes, my BFF and I are about to have a GREAT time!!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Subscribing!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD-SOX View Post
Now I am waiting..
Hurry up..
Now wait a minute, I should have been first. Just kidding, thanks for joining us in our little adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
A report!! I am here!! Now I am going back to read the beginning!!!
And I see I was beaten by another. Good to see ya Tink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm here!

And glad to see another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MademoiselleKel View Post
Woo! Let the party begin
Party is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_wdw View Post
Subscribing!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip!
another subscriber!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

VICKIE!!! So glad you started this TR. Sure wish I wasn't in VA househunting though.

Guess I should have introduced myself before welcoming everyone. I'm a little excited.

So yes, I am the BFF, Melissa. I currently do live an hour away from WDW and sadly in a month I will be leaving to move to VA.

I am having to do this while the DH sleeps, so be very quiet. And I've been awake since 4am, so if I start rambling you know why. Of course my DH will say that is normal. I may also lose my internet connection, we were having issues with the hotel internet last night.

For whatever reason, Smugmug isn't letting me see the gallery for this trip. Every other gallery is showing up. I will proceed though.

So while Vickie was getting up at 3am, I was actually sleeping. Got up and did my usual things around the house. I'm trying to remember if DH took the day off work, came home early, or if I didn't see him before I left? Isn't old age just wonderful, I can't remember. Oh well, he isn't really part of this anyway.

I was super excited as I got on the road. I had a couple of stops to make before getting to BLT. I wanted to have a surprise in the room for Vickie before she arrived. I decided on a balloon bouquet and a gift.

Not knowing where a party store is located near WDW, I stopped at one close to my home. But then I got to thinking, balloons pop and oh what fun to have one POP while I am driving I4 (which isn't my favorite road, except it takes me to the happy place.) I realized the foil balloons wouldn't pop so I picked up a couple of those, pics will come later and I want it to be a surprise.

Off to WDW I went. Trip down I4 was uneventful, no balloon popping occurred. My first stop was DTD. Looking for a gift for Vickie. I wandered all over World of Disney. Vickie had told me her favorite character was Peter Pan. I looked all over for something with Peter Pan, but they don't have anything, unless of course it has Tinkerbell too. Only thing I could find was a water globe. Not what I wanted. I decided on a plush Mickey. I wanted Vickie to have something from me, she could take to the hospital and/or her treatments, since I couldn't be there.

Then I thought maybe the pin store would have a Peter Pan pin. Seriously Mickey, you have a Peter Pan ride, why not a pin! So I picked out something else, and I was off. Get in the parking lot and can't find my truck. It wasn't like the parking lot was full and my truck is large and has a pirate mickey antannae topper. Why couldn't I find it? Finally did and it was so stupid that I couldn't find it, because it was facing a fence. That should have made it really easy to find. About this time, Vickie texts me that she is on the ME. Oh man, I need to get going. Off I went.

Luckily I know a back way to the MK resorts, so I got there quickly. I'm sure the bus driver behind me appreciated me taking photos while driving. One hand was always on the wheel and I wasn't really looking at what I was taking a pic of...of man, I need to start getting ready to go do some more househunting.

I will try to write more later, but we are going to see the extended version of Lord of the Rings at the theater tonight, so not sure if I can catch up to Vickie tonight or not.

Have a great day everyone!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

What a special trip! I'm looking forward to reading all about it. My BFF and I took a no-families trip together and had a blast. We're planning another for our 50th birthdays.

1974 - Family Camping Trip
January 1991 - Family Trip to Westgate Vacation Villas
May 1996 - Best Girlfriend's Trip, Vacation Villas at Fantasy World
July 1998 - Hottest Trip Ever! Parkway International Resort
December 2002 - Multi-Family Dance Trip to Sheraton Vistana Resort
December 2004 - Anthony and Gabbie's First Visit (Can't remember the name of the condo and don't want to try)
October 2008 - The Kids and I stay at Marrott Grande Vista
September 2009 - The Quest for Grownup Food and CSR (First On-Site) stay
January 2010 - Gabbie's Birthday Trip to Carribean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010 - Sneaking away from work for a day at Epcot and the Boardwalk Inn
August 2011 - Cheating on Mickey Trip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: