Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchel View Post
While we were at Aulani, there were DVC sales guys talking to people around the pool saying that DVC was working on having a cruise that went back and forth to Aulani. He did not specifically say one of the Disney Cruise ships, just that they wanted a way for people to visit Aulani without having to fly. He seemed to imply that this would be more of a 'shuttle service' so people could take a ship/boat to get to Aulani, stay for awhile and then return home.

Not sure exactly how feasible this would be to go out of LA, but it is just what they were saying.
That would be great. Now it would be even better if you could take a 1 way cruise and fly the other. But that is a dream and most likely not a reality
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
That would be great. Now it would be even better if you could take a 1 way cruise and fly the other. But that is a dream and most likely not a reality
The problem is that DCL has to comply with the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) of 1886.

Foreign-registered ships like the Disney Wonder cannot legally offer ONE-WAY cruises between two U.S. ports without going to a DISTANT foreign port as part of the itinerary. Nearby ports in Canada and Mexico do not qualify. Stopping at a DISTANT foreign port in South America, the South Pacific, or Asia would mean adding a week or more to the cruise.

Under the PVSA, NEARBY foreign ports in Canada and Mexico are sufficient to comply with the less stringent requirements for CLOSED-LOOP cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port.

ONE-WAY cruises between the West Coast and Hawaii could use a non-U.S. port on the West Coast, such as Vancouver or Ensenada. The cruise would have to begin or end there.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

They could do one way trips by having Ensenada as a port for both directions. So when leaving LA, Ensenada would be the first port - then sail to Hawaii as a 7 day cruise. Coming back could be a 7 day cruise that leaves Hawaii and the last day is at Ensenada.

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousseauMob View Post
They could do one way trips by having Ensenada as a port for both directions. So when leaving LA, Ensenada would be the first port - then sail to Hawaii as a 7 day cruise. Coming back could be a 7 day cruise that leaves Hawaii and the last day is at Ensenada.
No. That would not comply with the PVSA.

Ensenada is not a DISTANT foreign port, as defined by the PVSA.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

The port of Los Angeles has bookings for Oct 14/29. I am betting another 15 night Hawaii and Canal cruise with a repo from Vancouver to Los Angeles. Just my 2 cents
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Oops I ment Sept
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
dfriia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post

Clearly Ensenada sufficed as the foreign port requirement on the recently completed Hawaii roundtrip and will again in October.
dfriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriia View Post
Clearly Ensenada sufficed as the foreign port requirement on the recently completed Hawaii roundtrip and will again in October.
Foreign-flag vessels can comply with the PVSA by calling on a "NEARBY foreign port" when a passenger cruise begins and ends at the same U.S. port. That's why "Ensenada sufficed as the foreign port requirement on the recently completed Hawaii roundtrip."

However, foreign-flag vessels can only comply with the PVSA by calling on a "DISTANT foreign port" when a passenger cruise begins and ends at two different U.S. ports. Ensenada does NOT meet this requirement.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a "NEARBY foreign port" is defined as "any port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)."

CBP explains, "However, there is no violation of the PVSA when a passenger is on a voyage to one or more coastwise ports and a 'distant foreign port' or ports (whether or not the voyage includes a nearby foreign port or ports) and the passenger disembarks at a coastwise port other than the port of embarkation, provided the passenger has proceeded with the vessel to a 'distant foreign port.'"

Nobody should expect any DCL one-way cruises between Los Angeles, California and any port in Hawaii.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post

Thanks, I learned something new. I didn't realize the type of foreign port (Distant) was a requirement.

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
The port of Los Angeles has bookings for Oct 14/29. I am betting another 15 night Hawaii and Canal cruise with a repo from Vancouver to Los Angeles. Just my 2 cents
Where did you find the Port of LA schedule?
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

It is under the port of Los Angeles schedule. A few cruise lines did the cruises from Ensenada years ago and had horrible stories getting to/ from there. I think that is why RCI sends their ship down under from thier and as is Carnival this year. You will have to be bussed to Ensenada from San Diego and bussed to San Diego from there as well. Plus stop at the border too. Most people had not much good to say about this.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #27
deanimal
DIS Veteran

They could do one way cruises from Vancouver to Hawaii! I live in BC and I've done two Alaska cruises and although it's a lovely route, I'd jump on a chance to go somewhere else from Vancouver. The city is safe and fairly easy for Americans to get to. It's not exactly balmy from about November to March, but they have cruises leaving from New York year round now and Vancouver is definitely milder than New York!

What do you think, would you chose a one way Vancouver to Hawaii cruise over an Alaska cruise from Vancouver?
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
What do you think, would you chose a one way Vancouver to Hawaii cruise over an Alaska cruise from Vancouver?
I would enjoy taking a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska or one-way to Hawaii.

I would also enjoy spending a few days in Vancouver before the cruise. I've been to Vancouver a couple of times, and it's a beautiful city.

Unfortunately, flying to Vancouver tends to be much more expensive than flying to San Francisco or Los Angeles from many U.S. airports. And for people who live in California, it adds an airfare expense that would not be necessary if one-way Hawaii cruises cruise could sail directly from ports in California.

Alas, the PVSA is here to stay. A few years ago, there is even an attempt to make it more restrictive (but fortunately that failed).

So a one-way Hawaii cruise from (or to) Vancouver seems like a fine option, considering that it's legal under the PVSA.

It would also seem to be a fine way to serve the citizens of Canada.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
They could do one way cruises from Vancouver to Hawaii! I live in BC and I've done two Alaska cruises and although it's a lovely route, I'd jump on a chance to go somewhere else from Vancouver. The city is safe and fairly easy for Americans to get to. It's not exactly balmy from about November to March, but they have cruises leaving from New York year round now and Vancouver is definitely milder than New York!

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Hawaiian cruise would be during the school year, so it would be difficult for families with older kids, and for parents who are teachers. Plus a Hawaiian cruise would have to be longer, which would make it more expensive. One of the advantages of the Alaskan cruises is that most of the time you have land on both sides, which cuts down on the motion sickness. When friends are hesitant to cruise because of motion sickness, I tell them they should cruise Alaska because those cruises tend to be the smoothest. On the Hawaiian cruises, the ships have several days at sea, and lots of rockin and rollin.

That said, Vancouver to Hawaii would be a lot more appealing to me than Ensenada to Hawaii. Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately about their drug violence and a lot of tourists just don't/won't go there. which is why DCL is discontinuing the Mexican Riviera cruises. The same people who don't want to cruise there certainly won't want to take a bus across the border to Ensenada.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #30
deanimal
DIS Veteran

A Vancouver to Hawaii cruise wouldn't have to be during the school year. There's at least a dozen ships going up and down to Alaska all summer, why couldn't Disney switch it up a bit and do a couple one way cruises to Hawaii and back during the school holidays in between the Alaska cruises? I'm pretty sure that you could do one way in a week with four or five sea days. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see something different offered!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: