Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you spend the most Snack Credits
Epcot 71 52.21%
Magic Kingdom 32 23.53%
Animal Kingdom 2 1.47%
Hollywood Studios 4 2.94%
water parks 1 0.74%
Downtown Disney 9 6.62%
your resort 33 24.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Celidh
DIS Veteran

Yes, the burger looks awesome. I'm hungry now!

I'd love to hear more about any quick service restaurants that had different things other than burgers or nuggets (although my ds 11 will love 10 days of nuggets) etc. We are there for 10 days at the end of August.

I can't wait for Cosmic Rays. It seems yummy.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review of Old Port Royal...from reading all the food reviews, I was beginning to think that no one ever ate there (or even stayed at CBR for that matter )!

I was planning on eating there when we got in b/c after driving 7 hours with my 5 year old...I didn't want to go anywhere else. I think I may have to try that burger...pineapple BBQ sauce is my kind of thing too.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingmom View Post
I agree with the other posters! I was so excited to find a review of the QSDP! We have always done the regular dining plan and are trying the QSDP in July. Can't wait to read more!
Oh so happy for you that you get to go to the World next month! I have never had a dining plan before but I always had one ADR a day when I went to Disney. I actually liked the flexiblity of not having to eat at a certain time, though to be honest I did have a detailed itinerary that I ended up sticking closely to. But the point is I didn't have to!

Also I think the QSDP is a good value (free mug and two snack credits and no paying for gratutity).

One tip for you in the busy time of July might be to try to go to the more popular counter service places either earlier or later than the main meal time - maybe shoot for getting to lunch before noon or after 1:30 for instance. Since we were eating breakfast by 6:45 each day, we were ready for lunch at 11:30, but if you get started later, a later lunch might not be too bad either.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

I have always wanted to try CHH. This time we are done with the DDP and I so want to eat there and try the shrimp. Great pictures and looking forward to the rest of the report
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
phabric
DIS Veteran

Enjoyed your reviews and your tips.
phabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidh View Post
Yes, the burger looks awesome. I'm hungry now!

I'd love to hear more about any quick service restaurants that had different things other than burgers or nuggets (although my ds 11 will love 10 days of nuggets) etc. We are there for 10 days at the end of August.

I can't wait for Cosmic Rays. It seems yummy.
I too couldn't wait for Cosmic Rays - the original plan was to have dinner there the first night. I was all set to have the 1/2 chicken and ribs with two sides meal - that seemed like a big bang for the buck. Unfortunately I was too full from that Caribbean Isle Burger earlier when we were near there and too hot/tired to wonder to Tomorrowland from Frontierland so we ended up at CHH in Liberty Square instead. I never made it to Cosmic Rays the entire trip! Best laid plans!

I was looking forward to non burger and fries alternatives too but have to admit when I stepped up to the podium to order I never once went for a salad option! But there were other options. Hopefully my photos of the menus will show that. But with all the walking I managed to not gain any weight - chocolate cakes and all!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #22
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
I have always wanted to try CHH. This time we are done with the DDP and I so want to eat there and try the shrimp. Great pictures and looking forward to the rest of the report
The shrimp was really good and they give you a ton! DSis thought she had eaten them all and nothing was left on her plate but fries until she realized that under the fries were MORE SHRIMP! That's when I got a taste - the batter was crunchy and had a great texture and the shrimp were nice sized and flavorful.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
Thanks for the review of Old Port Royal...from reading all the food reviews, I was beginning to think that no one ever ate there (or even stayed at CBR for that matter )!
We stayed at CBR in 2009 and 2010. Ate at Old Port Royal at least once each trip... shutters too. Loved the feel of OPR and LOVE CBR totally!

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

I agree with DisneyCrazyMomma - the food at CBR is great. I'm not typically a food court foodie and had my doubts on taste, freshness and quality, but it was all there. A CM told me that everything but the pizza is made fresh on site at CBR.

There is also nice seating outside that is covered and provides a relaxing view of the water and opportunity for people watching.

Inside the dining area is large with high ceiling and is a cool, climate controlled place to eat - but be warned you must enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean sound track to eat there. I do but even I was getting a little tired of it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #25
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
I agree with DisneyCrazyMomma - the food at CBR is great. I'm not typically a food court foodie and had my doubts on taste, freshness and quality, but it was all there. A CM told me that everything but the pizza is made fresh on site at CBR.

There is also nice seating outside that is covered and provides a relaxing view of the water and opportunity for people watching.

Inside the dining area is large with high ceiling and is a cool, climate controlled place to eat - but be warned you must enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean sound track to eat there. I do but even I was getting a little tired of it.

I'll be there in July, so I think that I will want to be inside. I have a 5 year old...I am used to hearing the same song, over, and over, and over, and over
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Have a great trip Smiths02!!!

There is a Caribbean Beach Resort FAQ thread that was really helpful to me as well. And I have photos of the rooms and resort on my full trip report over here

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day Two Dawns - Breakfast at CBR

I have to admit we were confused by conflicting signs at the food court that said breakfast was at 7. It was 6:45am and after a couple minutes standing in front of the Broiler section I went over to the Pizza station and found that they serve breakfast starting at 6:30am at that station. Glad I looked around a bit more!

We got the breakfast Isle Bounty (to split) and one bottle water with two cups of ice.

If you have had bacon at Disney you know what to expect, if you haven't, you might question what it is. I can only describe it as Disney bacon. The biscuit was buttery and flakey - Paula Deen would approve. The sausage patty was average - Jimmy Dean would not approve. The potatoes were also average but I woke up so hungry that I gobbled them all down. How much do I wish the french toast was a Mickey waffle! The best part for us this morning were the eggs. They had been freshly made and were light and fluffy.

It was perfect to split for two adults. And cups of ice made the water go further. (No one cared that we were splitting a meal.)

There is pancake syrup and honey and tons of strawberry jam (and another flavor but why bother looking when there is strawberry) at the condiments bar.

We would have eaten outside but it was too wet at the tables.

So far 5 QS credits down and 2 snack credits!

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-13-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
Mrs. Sojourner
Mouseketeer

Those burgers look delicious. We are hoping to check out the upstairs seating at CHH on our next visit. It looks like a great place to have lunch. I am enjoying your reviews so far; can't wait to read more!

Have Stayed at: AS Sport, ASM, CSR, POR & PBH (USF)
Check out my PTR! From West Africa to WDW; talk about some culture shock!

My Blog: Mrs. Sojourner's Monologues
Mrs. Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #29
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Sojourner View Post
Those burgers look delicious. We are hoping to check out the upstairs seating at CHH on our next visit. It looks like a great place to have lunch. I am enjoying your reviews so far; can't wait to read more!
There is actually more seating than there appears at CHH. Just like Disney has a way of making 40 minute queue lines look like 5 mins - what could be past this room?, more seating magically appears at the quick service places. Just keep balancing your tray as you make your way upstairs and around to the "overlook". They also had a lot of CMs stationed up stairs to bus tables which kept the place clean.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #30
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Starring Rolls lunch - DHS - quick service #6 & 7

We were at DHS on SWW and gay days - we knew the park would be packed but this was the best day for us to see Star Tours.

We had read on the DIS boards about not only their cupcakes at Starring Rolls bakery, but also their massive sandwiches which all count as part of a meal on the quick service dinning plan!
The seating area was packed at 11:15 and there was a decent line out the door as people were getting pastries and coffee for breakfast.

DSis ordered the ham sandwich with an apple and I ordered the turkey sandwich with kettle chips.

Her ham sandwich was good – the meat was fresh and flavorful – but the sauce/dressing was a bit spicy for her – a spicy mustard. Mine came with a vinaigrette dressing on the lettuce and a very light sauce – really was a nice flavor combination and was very mild. The meat was massive and the soft cheese was delicious (that is the white under the meat in the photo - cheese not mayo). I loved the focaccia – fresh and soft. We both had large fountain drinks and a cupcake for dessert. (Sugar over load!)

DSis had a Darth Vader cupcake that was dark chocolate with a white chocolate Darth Vader topper. The frosting was chocolate with a layer of peanut butter under and the cake had a chocolate-peanut butter fudgy center.

In all my faithful following of the cupcake thread I never saw this.

I had the marble cupcake which had a white butter cream frosting surrounding a chocolate fudge center, for the cake part it had vanilla cake surrounding a chocolate cake core. It was fabulous. These are cupcakes you eat with a knife and fork! They are massive!

When we got through the line a table of people who had enjoyed coffee and conversation had just stood up to leave so we had a nice table in the shade while we dined.

This was my favorite QS meal of the trip and I really wish I could have one of those turkey sandwiches right now instead of this lean cuisine!

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: