Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #31
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran
 
DsnyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,028

Subbing along! We'll be in the world at the same time!
__________________
Amber Richard Ava {5} Levi {3} Aspen {7m}
Past Trips * January 2008 AKL * March 2009 CSR * November 2011 POP *
*November 2012 AKV/CSR/Poly * February 2014 POP/AKL *

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't update this in awhile. Its always good to get input and think out loud, especially when my planning spreadsheet has grown to a frightening 7 pages!

Lots of progress made: ADR's have been booked, flights have been bought on the opening day for Southwest from Oakland to MCO at a very reasonable rate, mostly now we just need to perfect our Touring Plan for the individual days. I also am still working on finding reasonable prices for the OGG-OAK portion of flight, probably booking on Alaska.

It worked out best for both families to fly in Friday, the night of November 30th in part because Katie and I didn't want to waste a day in Florida with flying. So we'll be coming in around 10p the night before and sharing a two bedroom at the MCO Marriott Residence Inn, which at $155 is really affordable when split. We'll head back to the airport to take Magical Express in on Saturday December 1st. From there our plan is this:

Sat, Dec 1:
  • 8:30 Take ME to BLT to check in
  • 9:15 Check in at BLT, leave luggage, head to AKL (probably via cab)
  • 10:00 ADR for Tusker House Character Breakfast!
  • Noon Take bus to Animal Kingdom, squeeze in as many attractions as we can before 5. Emphasis on "relaxing" attractions - we'd love to see Finding Nemo, let the boys explore the boneyard, just gawk at the animals that are out.
  • 5:00 Take bus back to BLT, groceries should have arrived. Have a relaxing evening/dinner in the room, possibly with pool time for the kids if weather allows. Try to watch fireworks and EWP from the room if it has a good view, TOTWL if not. Entirely possible some of the adults may want to head over to Epcot for some counter service Intl Pavilion options if we have a lot of energy; its open til 9:30p.

Sun, Dec 2
  • Wake up as late as the kids will allow us and after a quick breakfast in the villa head into MK around 10a.
  • Pirates League and Mermaid appointments for the two boys and young lady at 11:30a ... 3 adults will stay with the kids while the other two collect FP's.
  • Ride rides with an emphasis on ones that are substantially different from Disneyland; ie Buzz, Splash Mtn, BTMRR, Stitch, Space. If we can get 5 rides done by 5ish we'll be happy. Have a CS lunch or snack inside the park if the kids are hungry.
  • 5p return to the room for a rest/nap.
  • 6:30p ish Head over to DHS via bus to see the Osborne lights and enjoy the evening EMH. Have dinner at a CS, probably Fairfax Faire, and if there's a second Fantasmic! catch that showing, if not we're not worried about it. Ride some rides, the kids will insist on TSMM, adults will want TOT, Star Tours and other coasters even if they're identical to our DLR ones.
  • 10-11p Depending on kids' stamina (and whether they've adjusted to time change, we're hoping not) head back to villa via taxi.

Mon, Dec 3 - Michael's b-day
  • Wake up as late as kids will allow and ride monorail to Epcot.
  • 11a Seas with Nemo, Test Track, and Mission Space are at the top of our attractions list, hopefully to accomplish before 2p
  • 2:10p Chefs de France ADR, for the birthday meal, hoping to catch Remy at 2:50 (don't tell the kids!)
  • 3:30 Explore the World Pavilions for an hour or so before sending the kids back via monorail for a nap with dads, moms stay and explore for a bit longer.
  • 5p Back to villa for a rest, probably with a snack from one of the Pavilions
  • 6:30p Head to MK for the 7p Electrical Light Parade, stay for evening EMH. Jungle Cruise, and anything we missed yesterday or that has a short line. Late night for whoever can handle it.
Tues, Dec 4 - Brian's b-day
  • Wake up as late as kids let us and ride bus to DHS. Shows emphasis today - LMA, Indy, and Beauty and the Beast are at the top of our list as none of those exist in DLR.
  • 12:30 Sci-Fi ADR. Then ride rides til they turn on Osborne lights, and head over to DTD for
  • 8:00p T-Rex ADR for the kids.
  • 9:00p early night, another chance to catch fireworks or EWP from the room or TOTWL

Wed, Dec 5 - Last park day as a group of 8
  • 8:00A Most likely heading to the AK morning EMH via cab, unless we did everything we wanted to on Day 1 and feel that Epcot needs more time for us.
  • Rides emphasis - preferably the first safari of the day, Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest and more atmosphere soaking in.
  • 5p Head to pick up car from Alamo at Dolphin via bus, back to villa to pack, have dinner, pool time for kids.
  • 7p Kids get a babysitter and adults head to Boardwalk via car
  • 8:30p? IllumiNations pontoon cruise reserved for 5 adults as a grand finale to the trip. Found a full complement of 10 cruisers here on the DIS, so its affordable as well.

Thurs, Dec 6
  • 9a Everybody checks out of the 2 bedroom, half our party goes to AoA, we take the car to head to Port Canaveral!
  • 11a Drop car at port, check in to cruise, head for AquaDuck and lunch, hopefully at Enchanted Gardens since we'll be missing our dinner dining rotation there.
  • Our requested dining rotation has Royal Palace tonight

Frid, Dec 7 Nassau
  • Stay on ship and take advantage of all the amenities and Aquaduck
  • Our requested dining rotation has Animators up tonight
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

The second week of the trip is much less complicated and detailed as there is only 4 of us. Also, after we've seen each of the parks we'll be playing it by ear to see what we want to do more of, and what we've already had our fill of. I figure on the cruise we'll discuss which parks will get top billing for our second week. Katie has already noted that there's not nearly enough time for Epcot in our first week (which we did minimally so the three kids together will have more fun), so they have that in their schedule along with Harry Potter time when we're on the cruise and I suspect we'll also want more Epcot when we come back.

Sat, Dec 8 - Castaway Cay and my
  • Snorkeling, Pelican Plunge, explore CC
  • Palo for dinner for DH & I, possibly for DBF

Sun, Dec 9
  • 8a Breakfast, disembark, pick up car at port, drive to BWV
  • 11a Check in at BWV 1 bdr, head to DHS most likely. May need to return car to the Dolphin as the rate I have is $40 for one day from the port to resort, but I'd like to keep it for at least 3 so will keep checking rates.
  • 8p Kouzzina ADR ... originally this was going to be my bday meal then DH insisted on Palo instead so not sure if I'm going to keep it. Maybe Yatchsman instead?
  • 9p DHS evening EMH potential

Mon, Dec 10
  • Epcot in the morning
  • 12:15 Coral Reef ADR, may eat just lunch dessert just really wanted to experience eating by a giant fish tank. After may head to World Pavilions for a real CS meal as there's so many we want to try there.
  • 5p break in villa ... would like to drive to WL, check out decorations, may taxi
  • 6:30p Whispering Canyon ADR
  • 8:00p head over to MK for evening EMH til quittin time

Tues, Dec 11: non park day
  • We haven't added WP&M to our tickets yet, still waiting to see what the weather is like. If its warm enough I'd love to head to Blizzard Beach (via car). If not, we'll resort hop, enjoy the clown pool. Either way, having a car this day will be somewhat important.
  • 8p California Grill ADR, probably just going to get appetizers and desserts and watch the holiday fireworks.

Wed, Dec 12
  • 8a AK early EMH. Repeat safari, any other favorites. Back to villa.
  • 7p DTD, Wolfgang Puck Express. DH & I loved this restaurant in Las Vegas, as well as the Honolulu version. If we buy the WP&M option we'll head to DisneyQuest tonight, if not just enjoy DTD (though we're not really shoppers).
  • Alternate plan for 7p - catch the Electrical Light Parade if we missed it last week or if we want to see it again, then move Wolfgang Puck to tomorrow night. Its only playing on M & W this week.

Thurs, Dec 13
  • Another relaxing park day, wherever we want to go the most. DHS? Epcot? MK has early EMH, so probably not there. We'll probably be tired/ winded at this point in the trip so Tues & Thurs this week are my "vacation from my vacation" days.
  • Contemplating a sleigh ride at WL (or is it FW?) for DH & I for a romantic interlude.

Fri, Dec 14 Last full day/park day
  • Epcot day again. It has evening EMH today, so I think we'll wake up late, pack a bit, work on polishing off any remaining groceries, maybe pool time in the morning.
  • 2:20p Le Cellier ADR. This place gets such rave reviews, we have to try it.
  • After eating, head back to villa for nap for DS6 and then try to stay up for EMH, maybe one more time watching IllumiNations.

Sat, Dec 15
  • Now we're really tired, and its really over. Time to check out of our BWV 1 bedroom and head to the airport. Flight departs at noon, and I'll start nailing down details of our Dec 2013 DLR trip that I'll need to reserve in January ...
  • Spend the night in Oakland at Michael's house, visiting friends before heading back to Maui on Sun or Mon.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

Random thoughts after writing all that out:

If I'd known about the EMH's, etc earlier (and how ambitious my schedule would end up) I would have planned on only 4 nights after the cruise and flown home 2 days earlier when flights are dramatically cheaper. Such is the curse of DVC, you're forced to pick days and stick to them 11 months out. Hopefully the slow pace of the 2nd week is something I'll learn to enjoy (DH always wants more sleep-in time, less scheduling from me, less of a need to go, go, go!).

Still nailing down the car situation for week 2. If anybody sees some great coupons/rates that one can use to pick up at WDW or at Port Canaveral, let me know! I'd really like to have one for convenience sake since we'll be doing a bit more resort-to-resort driving with more ADRs, even though I hear the parking lot situation at BWV isn't great.

For week one, with a party of 8 renting a van was just too expensive, so we settled on using mostly foot-power or boats to MK, monorail to Epcot, and then for AK and DHS we'll be taking the bus in one direction and taking a taxi in the other and its still substantially cheaper than renting a car would have been ... we may wuss out and take a taxi both ways to DHS and AK if we feel short on time.

Also tinkering with the idea of going to Harry Potterland on Tues 11th or Thurs 13th (or both!). DH really wants to see it, but the tickets are just so darn expensive when we've already spent so much on the 10 day hoppers for DisneyWorld and the cruise fare. I told him budget-wise he had to pick between Universal and the Dream Cruise, and he said Castaway Cay and the cruise experience wins hands down, but maybe I'll surprise him with a HP day if I can find a little extra in the budget after paying for the Hawaii airfare and finishing off the last 1/3 of paying for the cruise.
I know I'm a librarian and therefore supposed to love HP, but I read so much that I just couldn't fall in love with HP since it was written so poorly compared to so many other fantasy books. Bad soap box.
The new Despicable Me ride really looks appealing (its one of our favorite family flicks) and I know DS6 would adore Mavel land.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #35
tofubeast
DIS Veteran
 
tofubeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: S. Florida - 3 hr hop to the World!
Posts: 3,964

I am so jealous of your 2 weeks of Disney -land and sea fun!!! ahhh. too cool.

I see several days you mention sleeping in. Just want to reiterate the value in waking up and doing rope drop. You get so much more done, and then can rest in the afternoon etc. Things are a lot more crowded at the World than at DLR.

I would probably skip US. From all the travelling and walking, it just might be too much. You say you might go back to FL in '15. I would do US then. By that time, the HP expansion might be done? (Not sure about that).
__________________

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2043!
Current TR: Our Visit EVERY Season 12-13!!
Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #36
SAT887
DIS Veteran
 
SAT887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 2,569

Your trip looks great!! I like the cruise in the middle I have never been on a cruise - makes me somewhat anxious to think I would be stuck on a boat for a few days(I know I am crazy!!) .... I think I may have to try a short one to see if I liked it. I know my husband would love it.... Plus DCL looks so nice!

Well I can't wait to see the rest of your planning!! I am currently enjoying how awesome my daughters imagination is right now and want to figure out how to add some pixie dust to her vacation (thinking Minnie and Cinderella need to send some breakfast/dinner invites!)
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #37
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
I see several days you mention sleeping in. Just want to reiterate the value in waking up and doing rope drop. You get so much more done, and then can rest in the afternoon etc. Things are a lot more crowded at the World than at DLR.

I would probably skip US. From all the travelling and walking, it just might be too much. You say you might go back to FL in '15. I would do US then. By that time, the HP expansion might be done? (Not sure about that).
Yeah, I haven't mentioned the idea of US to DH yet, but when I told him about the two days when I have nothing planned he was pretty excited about that. Poor thing really likes a much more relaxed pace on vacation than I do. I can only relax within the framework of a schedule or a goal. I think I'm going to put that one off since I can't seem to find anything better than an $81 per person rate on tickets (and that's with our friends' military discount) and spending $240 on one day just seems excessive. Plus they're building an HP Land out here in California so that might be open by 2015 last I saw.

I'll see if I can add a few rope drop days in for us. I'm thinking Dec 2 and 5 we won't be up late the night before and the kids will probably be raring to go. (The kids waking up is kind of a wild card since I don't know how they'll react to such a large time change from Hawaii/Pacific time.) Another idea we're toying with is if I can find really cheap points to rent, (ie if someone's points are expiring in November and they need to ditch them in October) Katie and I are thinking about going down to grab a few studios on 11/30 at either SSR or AKV (they still have availability) so then we could rope drop at AK on 12/1, and just have our luggage transferred from AKV to BLT while we're in the park, instead of moving them from the airport to airport hotel, then back for ME. I checked out values but we can't see spending double the price for two value rooms as we would for a single 2 bedroom at the airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Your trip looks great!! I like the cruise in the middle I have never been on a cruise - makes me somewhat anxious to think I would be stuck on a boat for a few days(I know I am crazy!!) .... I think I may have to try a short one to see if I liked it. I know my husband would love it.... Plus DCL looks so nice!

Well I can't wait to see the rest of your planning!! I am currently enjoying how awesome my daughters imagination is right now and want to figure out how to add some pixie dust to her vacation (thinking Minnie and Cinderella need to send some breakfast/dinner invites!)
DCL is amazing, we just went on our first cruise last year and all three of us were crying to leave the ship they had just created such an amazing vacation experience. Because we're social creatures we love the parks more than the ship due to the quality time with our best buds, but the cruise was like being on a 5 day party where you kept running into the same strangers that became friends over time. In fact, one of our tablemates on that cruise was a DISser from San Diego, and the next trip I took to DLR she ended up joining me since I had an extra bed in my Grand Californian studio I didn't want to go to waste and we had a fabulous time together.
Really looking forward to Castaway Cay on this trip.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.

Last edited by taaren; 07-19-2012 at 01:13 PM.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

I'm hitting a few snags in making up my mind these days.

Issue 1) Strollers for the 5, 6 and 7 year old. Katie and I are of two minds about this, since its $60ish to rent a double for the week but have to haul it back and forth to the parks and we know the DHs will complain about that. We don't generally use strollers at DLR, but I know WDW is much larger, and we think the 5 year old will want one by the end of the evening, but probably not on the 3 nights we quit early. So we're leaning towards instead just renting strollers in the parks on the two nights we're planning on doing a late night, which will also come to $60. We're also thinking though, that if the 5 year old has a stroller, the bigger kids might want one too. Or they might be proud of their "bigger" status and refuse one. I originally thought a double would be good since then 2 out of 3 could ride at any given time, then I realized, if we have it the 5 year old will always want to ride, and then if either the 6 or 7 year old wants to ride the other one won't want to be walking. So we're either going to need 1 or 3 strollers, in the evenings. Probably going to be a play it by ear thing.

Issue 2) TIW vs OOP. When I crunch the numbers on what we would typically order, esp given that the adults often share meals (ie couples split an entree or girls share and guys get their own) we end up $40 shy of breaking even, pre tax and pre-tip, partly due to the fact that several of the places we want to go like T-Rex don't take TIW. When I add in all 8 people we're $40 over breaking even but I don't know if that's worth the trouble. I'm guessing everybody usually goes over budget on food? I'm setting aside $500 for table service for both weeks, and I have most of that covered with my Disney Reward Dollars though we'll probably be using a bit of that for CS as well and eating all breakfasts and about 1/3 of the dinners in the villas. While I like the idea of having discount on alcohol, we're the type that are more likely to go for an extra milkshake or dessert at the restaurant then perhaps have some shots in the room to hang out together. Problem is I can't really play this one by ear as I'll have to pick it up on the first day of the trip, somehow grab it before the character breakfast at Tusker day 1. Hmm ...

Issue 3) The car. We're pretty settled with not getting a car week 1. But apparently Alamo is difficult to drop at the port since they won't shuttle people to the ship, which is what I have reserved right now. I usually use Enterprise who doesn't like one-way rentals, and someone on this thread I started mentioned that Hertz has a location at Shades of Green which is easy to get to with a convenient drop off but they're kind of expensive. Beginning to wonder if I should keep an eye out for cheap weekly rates from Dec 5-12 and just rent WDW with no drop off at port then use a park and cruise. Seems silly not to use the car for 3 days I'm paying for it, but if I can find a rate for $125 or so it might be worth it, then even with $15/day parking at port per day my rental would be $24. Still seems high, but I don't know if I'll be able to nab a rental for much less than that. Guess I'll need to watch for transportation discount codes. Really want to have a car for 3 days after the cruise.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
SAT887
DIS Veteran
 
SAT887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
I'm hitting a few snags in making up my mind these days.

Issue 1) Strollers for the 5, 6 and 7 year old. Katie and I are of two minds about this, since its $60ish to rent a double for the week but have to haul it back and forth to the parks and we know the DHs will complain about that. We don't generally use strollers at DLR, but I know WDW is much larger, and we think the 5 year old will want one by the end of the evening, but probably not on the 3 nights we quit early. So we're leaning towards instead just renting strollers in the parks on the two nights we're planning on doing a late night, which will also come to $60. We're also thinking though, that if the 5 year old has a stroller, the bigger kids might want one too. Or they might be proud of their "bigger" status and refuse one. I originally thought a double would be good since then 2 out of 3 could ride at any given time, then I realized, if we have it the 5 year old will always want to ride, and then if either the 6 or 7 year old wants to ride the other one won't want to be walking. So we're either going to need 1 or 3 strollers, in the evenings. Probably going to be a play it by ear thing.

Issue 2) TIW vs OOP. When I crunch the numbers on what we would typically order, esp given that the adults often share meals (ie couples split an entree or girls share and guys get their own) we end up $40 shy of breaking even, pre tax and pre-tip, partly due to the fact that several of the places we want to go like T-Rex don't take TIW. When I add in all 8 people we're $40 over breaking even but I don't know if that's worth the trouble. I'm guessing everybody usually goes over budget on food? I'm setting aside $500 for table service for both weeks, and I have most of that covered with my Disney Reward Dollars though we'll probably be using a bit of that for CS as well and eating all breakfasts and about 1/3 of the dinners in the villas. While I like the idea of having discount on alcohol, we're the type that are more likely to go for an extra milkshake or dessert at the restaurant then perhaps have some shots in the room to hang out together. Problem is I can't really play this one by ear as I'll have to pick it up on the first day of the trip, somehow grab it before the character breakfast at Tusker day 1. Hmm ...

Issue 3) The car. We're pretty settled with not getting a car week 1. But apparently Alamo is difficult to drop at the port since they won't shuttle people to the ship, which is what I have reserved right now. I usually use Enterprise who doesn't like one-way rentals, and someone on this thread I started mentioned that Hertz has a location at Shades of Green which is easy to get to with a convenient drop off but they're kind of expensive. Beginning to wonder if I should keep an eye out for cheap weekly rates from Dec 5-12 and just rent WDW with no drop off at port then use a park and cruise. Seems silly not to use the car for 3 days I'm paying for it, but if I can find a rate for $125 or so it might be worth it, then even with $15/day parking at port per day my rental would be $24. Still seems high, but I don't know if I'll be able to nab a rental for much less than that. Guess I'll need to watch for transportation discount codes. Really want to have a car for 3 days after the cruise.
1) Strollers - I can't help you much there - I bring a double umbrella style from home - and the last time I brought that and a jogger. However, my kids much younger I really don't like the park rentals - they are hard plastic and look really uncomfortable and bulky... With that said - I have also never used one. But, just a thought - couldn't you see how it went and even rent one while you were down there - from a rental service? I know the crib rental place we used dropped the rentals off at the resort and mousekeeping actually brought it to our room....

2)TiW- We are opting for TiW - I think we will save a lot - however everywhere we are dining accepts it. Also, some quick service counters in Epcot and Animal Kingdom take it too (according to this app for my iPhone) I am not counting on that but it will be a plus. The other thing I like is you can use it on drink, appetizers etc which is a benefit because I definitely am getting some wine and cocktails this trip and a lot of time I get an appetizer for dinner because Disney meals are a lot of food for me.

3) I also suggest hotwire.com for car rates - I've gotten some very good prices closer to when we leave from them.



Also - I may try DCL in the future - I would think a better idea when my 1 year old is about 3? It sounds like fun - I am pretty social but love my space too hehe... It always seems like I don't have enough -but I think the key for me is finding people who have similar OCD's () I also like your screen name - reminds me of my daughters middle name "Taryn"
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #40
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
I also suggest hotwire.com for car rates - I've gotten some very good prices closer to when we leave from them.

Also - I may try DCL in the future - I would think a better idea when my 1 year old is about 3? It sounds like fun - I am pretty social but love my space too hehe... It always seems like I don't have enough -but I think the key for me is finding people who have similar OCD's () I also like your screen name - reminds me of my daughters middle name "Taryn"
Thanks for liking my name, taaren is also my first name IRL and I hate it but with hippie parents what are you going to do? I would have much preferred a more conventional spelling at least like Taryn, but its pronounced the same here in the states (I had an affable Norwegian professor once tell me I pronounced it wrong, and also spelled my last name wrong but that's another story).

I'll have to keep an eye on hotwire. I've used them for hotels before, but never for cars.

DCL is definitely something that's better with a potty-trained child who can go to the Oceaneer's Club/Lab as the Lab was a highlight for my DS when he was 4, so 3 should be a great age to go. Plus then they can use the big kid pools, can communicate with the servers who will fawn over them, etc.


I also resolved the stroller issue - we're going to play it by ear and rent in the parks, but when Katie's mom heard about our conundrum she offered to supplement the stroller budget, so now we're just not going to sweat it.
And for the TIW, we've decided against because someone pointed out that I could use the DVC member discount ... and when I checked our ADRs vs the list of restaurants that offer DVC member discount, fully half of them (5 out of the 10) offered 10-20% off, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Pretty much negated any advantage that paying $100 for the DVC TIW would have had for us. And the DVC one includes T-Rex and Chefs de France which are going to be our most expensive meals for the party of 8.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #41
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

Hmm. Seems like I should have done this in the intros, but thought I should post some pictures of the gang very belatedly. First the important ones: the kiddos.

From left to right is Conor who will be just shy of 5, his sister Liana who will be 7, and Sam who will be 6 during the trip. This was last year and they were nearly 4, newly 6, and nearly 5. Brian, Conor and Liana's dad is the one who is thinking about drinking them.
Then here's the adults:

The dork on the left is me, then DH Alex, then DBF Michael, then Katie, then Brian, Michael's brother.
And here's a picture of me and the DH where we look less dorky but is from New Year's Eve '08, just to prove that we aren't silly all the time.

Hopefully I'll see some of y'all roaming around the parks! I think I've seen pictures of most of those I'm following in your PTR's, so maybe my brain will click in connecting the face to "you're a DISser!" without the LMGH ...
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
SAT887
DIS Veteran
 
SAT887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post

Hopefully I'll see some of y'all roaming around the parks! I think I've seen pictures of most of those I'm following in your PTR's, so maybe my brain will click in connecting the face to "you're a DISser!" without the LMGH ...
Better late than never! This made me chuckle because I am constantly doing this. I spent most of my time with HD in sales (primarily commercial) and I see people all the time and go "I know you..." and then it usually connects like 2 hours later....

BTW - cute kiddos!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #43
KatieJoy
Earning My Ears
 
KatieJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 13

I've been reading these forums for a while, and finally had to register so I can sub to this thread!

One of my favorite parts of the plan so far is "wake up as late as the kids let us"!
I do love to sleep! In the end, I'm sure Liana will be up, then me, then we'll just have to dress Conor in his sleep and carry him out of the room. He is a teenager trapped in a 4yo body!
KatieJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJoy View Post
I've been reading these forums for a while, and finally had to register so I can sub to this thread!

One of my favorite parts of the plan so far is "wake up as late as the kids let us"!
I do love to sleep! In the end, I'm sure Liana will be up, then me, then we'll just have to dress Conor in his sleep and carry him out of the room. He is a teenager trapped in a 4yo body!
Ha ha ha! I finally corrupted you to the (dark side of the) DIS! I like MiceAge, too, but this forum is the one that keeps drawing me back.

If Michael ends up not able to join us, which is looking more and more likely to me, I was thinking we could just take one bedroom each for the adults and throw the three kids in the living room so they can wake each other up and play and let us sleep in on the days we're not rope dropping.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #45
KatieJoy
Earning My Ears
 
KatieJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 13

Kids in the living room would be great. More room/quiet for us, and I think they would like being together out there.
KatieJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.