Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

A year from today I'll be relaxing, snorkeling, and sliding on Castaway Cay!

We upgraded from an 11B to an 8C since we wanted to make sure DBF could be in our room if DH'sF&GF cancel on the cruise and they didn't have any room left in the 11B's for a second person. The 9As were cheaper than the 11's (I think everybody booking wants the virtual porthole), but I didn't want to be on the 2nd deck (I like being in the middle of the ship), so since the 8C was only about $50 more so we'll have a much larger stateroom with a oversized porthole!

We found somebody to trade DVC points who owns BLT who wants to go to VGC in Feb of 2013, so instead of transferring points in as was my original plan I'll be using about 1/3 of my 2012 points and 1/2 of my 2013 points on their reservation but we won't have to pay anything out of pocket for hotel portion of our two week trip next year. Had been looking forward to having extra points in 2013 but DH thinks this is better for saving $$. Now the cash I was going to use to transfer points in will cover paying off the cruise + our park tickets.

Also signed up for and received our new Southwest Chase Visa with 50,000 points which will cover DH, my, and half of DS5's plane ticket from the West Coast to Florida. We also have some frequent flier miles already with them so I think that portion of the airfare will be just the annual fee for the card! Hopefully DS5 and I will be living in California by then, so we'll only have to purchase DH's airfare to meet up with us in California and it will be his moving trip ...

Just finished my last final and preparing for our trip next weekend to Aulani and my graduation ceremony so haven't had much time to research WDW.

Have been reading on the DVC Mousecellaneous Boards that this December has been pretty busy in the parks, though apparently if one picks the right parks on the right days using apps and crowd-prediction software the crowds are avoidable ... Hmm ... more to research. And I'll have more time with no papers to write!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
tomandrobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
We found somebody to trade DVC points who owns BLT who wants to go to VGC in Feb of 2013, so instead of transferring points in as was my original plan I'll be using about 1/3 of my 2012 points and 1/2 of my 2013 points on their reservation but we won't have to pay anything out of pocket for hotel portion of our two week trip next year. Had been looking forward to having extra points in 2013 but DH thinks this is better for saving $$. Now the cash I was going to use to transfer points in will cover paying off the cruise + our park tickets.
Glad to help!

You have to love the internet and forums, that make exchanges like this possible.

Where all of our dreams come true!

tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
melissac
DIS Veteran

Have you booked any of your rooms at the 11 month mark? I was able to book the THV for Dec 2-8. I'm good with that but still hoping to get BLT 2BR any view at the 7 month mark. Hope your ressies have started out good.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013, POR May 2014
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissac View Post
Have you booked any of your rooms at the 11 month mark? I was able to book the THV for Dec 2-8. I'm good with that but still hoping to get BLT 2BR any view at the 7 month mark. Hope your ressies have started out good.
Yes! Today I have confirmation that both of our reservations went smoothly!
We have BLT 2 bedroom dedicated Lake View for Dec 1-6, the cruise in an 8C cabin, followed by a BVW 1 bedroom Standard View for Dec 9-15 (there was a slight mis-communication on my part and the reservation currently goes to Sunday instead of Saturday, but its easy to "lose" a day as opposed to adding one).

The next milestone will be waiting for Southwest to open up their winter 2012 flights so we can book with the miles that are in DH's and my Rapid Rewards account ... and potentially waiting for 10 day expiring hopper tickets to go on sale on Undercover Tourist/Mousesavers newsletters.
At this point in time we might not have DH'sBF and his GF with us as they couldn't give us a 100% in confirmation at this time ... they still want to come, and if they do will probably get a value hotel then just chill with us for midday breaks, have dinner in the villa with us, etc.

This winter has been unseasonably warm. Currently skiing in Park City Utah at my mom's Marriott timeshare, and the snowmaking capacity here is decent though more powder would be great. Hopefully next winter will be as mild!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
melissac
DIS Veteran

Not luck enought to ski the big mountains but we head to upper MI every weekend for some skiing but as of now not all the runs are even open. Nice weather but would like some more snow. We only leave 1 hour from 4 ski hills so don't have to stay overnight and it is fairly reasonable for season passes. One ski hill had $99 season pass and the other had $199. Plus kids under 12 are free with paid adult. Anyway, it make for a winter activity to get the kids and us adults outside and off the couch. Hope you are having fun.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013, POR May 2014
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
SueTGGR
Disney visits as often as money will allow-donations accepted

DL vets, too!

Just happened across this thread and thought I would give you our experience as a West Coaster (and spoiled VGC owner). We are also planning our trip to WDW (we've been 4 times over the last 7 years?) and our stay will be in between a 7 night and a 4 night cruise but we are crazy and going this June (more humidity, I know). Then we are headed to Aulani in August for my b-day!

Things we have on our MUST DO list so far:
DH has us already booked for dinner at the Yachtsmen because it is his favorite place.
DH is also hinting that we do Hoop De Do again and he is not a show-type person. We all had a blast including my 2 older sons who were bratty teenagers at the time. DH thought it was good food, too.
I may talk him into renting a boat, again, to watch the Epcot IlluminaNations show. I am not one to stand around "wasting my time" just to get a good viewing spot for something like this. The boat was great, if they still do this.

Also, prior to being DVC owners we stayed @ the Yacht Club and LOVED the convenience of being able to walk to Epcot and being able to take a short boat ride (or a long walk) to DHS (DO NOT miss the Osborne Family Lights!). It did make me feel more like DLR that we could walk to a park.
Hope that helps & I am reading to see if I can catch anything I may have missed. Enjoy your time @ Aulani, too!
Sue
Grew up around Disneyland until I was silly enough to move away. Now make yearly (or more) trips from Nor Cal And now hoping to help others find their Paradise!
SueTGGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
taaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTGGR View Post
Just happened across this thread and thought I would give you our experience as a West Coaster (and spoiled VGC owner). We are also planning our trip to WDW (we've been 4 times over the last 7 years?) and our stay will be in between a 7 night and a 4 night cruise but we are crazy and going this June (more humidity, I know). Then we are headed to Aulani in August for my b-day!

Things we have on our MUST DO list so far:
DH has us already booked for dinner at the Yachtsmen because it is his favorite place.
DH is also hinting that we do Hoop De Do again and he is not a show-type person. We all had a blast including my 2 older sons who were bratty teenagers at the time. DH thought it was good food, too.
I may talk him into renting a boat, again, to watch the Epcot IlluminaNations show. I am not one to stand around "wasting my time" just to get a good viewing spot for something like this. The boat was great, if they still do this.

Also, prior to being DVC owners we stayed @ the Yacht Club and LOVED the convenience of being able to walk to Epcot and being able to take a short boat ride (or a long walk) to DHS (DO NOT miss the Osborne Family Lights!). It did make me feel more like DLR that we could walk to a park.
Hope that helps & I am reading to see if I can catch anything I may have missed. Enjoy your time @ Aulani, too!
Sue
Thanks for the input! I'll have to take a look at Yatchsman and Hoop de Doo. The Illuminations boat is on my list since I saw a call for DVC-ers this past New Years Eve to fill a boat where a DISser was proposing to his gf. Wonder if I could find people to fill a boat here on the DIS ...

Totally jealous of your sandwiching a stay between 2 cruises. If we could afford to do more than 1 cruise a year I'd hop onto any DCL ship as much as I could!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Hey, since you mentioned your PTR on our 12/12 thread, I thought I would stop by. Glad you have your resorts reserved. Looks like you are in great shape. If you take a peek at my previous TR, you will see I am a former SoCal girl now living in FL. So I traded home parks, though DL will always be the one that first had my heart!

We will be at WDW the same time as you....during that 2nd week at least. This is my first time being at WDW during the holidays. (I had been to DL YEARS ago at Christmas time.) If you have any questions, I am happy to help or add my two cents. I will be following your thread here. I hope to start one myself in the near future.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #24
taaren

So I think I've narrowed down our dining choices:

Week 1: Arrival night T-Rex, Dec 2 - ?, Dec 3 - Le Cellier or Chefs de France for lunch, Dec 4 - Whispering Canyon lunch, Dec 5 - ?.
Somewhere in there not on Dec 3 or 4 we'll be having a character meal, probably dinner at Chef Mickeys since its conveniently at the Contemporary, but possibly Garden Grill ... Katie's favorite characters are Chip & Dale while I just want as many of the Fab Five as I can get.

Week 2: Dec 9 - Chefs de France or Yatchsman. Also this week would like to hit Coral Reef to eat by the tank (as close as they'll let us get), Donald's Safari Breakfast (on whatever day we decide to return to AK), Kouzzina, and whatever didn't get hit on the birthdays (Le Cellier/Yatchsman). And Wolfgang Puck Express and Fairfax Faire, but I won't need ADRs for those so I'm going to put that on a shelf for now, figure we can go to those when we're at the correct place and the mood is right.

Really trying to avoid "island-style" food, including Asian food and anything California style because we're so used to the authentic stuff I think we'd be disappointed by the Florida version.
Only going to plan one breakfast out, as we aren't usually rope droppers in California, and with the time change we will be even less inclined.

That being said, we're going to try to avoid the morning EMH's and maximize use of the evening EMH's. September is up right now, which is 7 months out. Does that mean December's won't be up until May, when I'm going to have to make my ADRs 6 months out? How do you people do this? BTW, is there an ADR date calculator somewhere like the DVC "this is the date you can make your reservation" calculator?Not sure if I should be calling on June 1 (6 months before the first reservation) or 10 days prior to that? Or 5 days prior to that since our first villa stay is 5 nights long?

We'd like to plan a Pirate's League appointment for the two boys and possibly the one girl on our MK day. Also leaning towards an Illuminations cruise on either Dec 3 or 4, either leaving the kids in the room with a babysitter or possibly at the Beach Club kids club.

Atm I'm thinking we'll do breakfast most days in the room, pick a park for the morning, hopefully have a late lunch ADR in that park, after lunch go back to the room to nap/rest, then head to whatever late EMH there is or show we want to see that night, then do a quick cheap dinner either CS on the way out or pizza/something quick in the room. Really hard to figure this out without knowing where the EMHs are though. Leaning towards week one having 2 days Epcot, 1 each of the other three since a lot of the MK attractions are repeats of DLR. Week two we'll hopefully know what we liked and want to go back for more, but probably 2 days Epcot, 1.5 DH, 1.5 AK, 1 MK.

Last edited by taaren; 02-15-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #25
taaren

Also good to know, when I listed the average plate prices and totaled everything up for just me, DH, and DS5 if we got the new DVC TIW for $100 we would break even but not really save anything. It would probably be a great help to the rest of our party but not sure if they would want to pitch in for it. So it looks like we're definitely going cash for meals ... just have to figure out if there's any other way to get any kind of a dining discount. So used to our Annual Pass discounts at DLR even just the 10% makes us spoiled!

On the other hand, it looks like all of our Dream Reward Dollars will be going towards the 8-9 table service meals we have planned (~$500 already!), so we're going to have to budget another few hundred for counter service meals and grocery. Wow this is much harder to stay on a budget than DLR!

Last edited by taaren; 02-15-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #26
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

ADR Calculator: http://pscalculator.net/pscalc.php

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #27
Zarabear
Mouseketeer

I'm subscribing to your thread. We will also be traveling to the world at this time, and coincidentally... I went to high school with your DH!

Will read back and post more pertinent information later. My sleep schedule is all wacky from staying up 24 hours for Leap Day at DL.

~Zara
Zarabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
taaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabear View Post
I'm subscribing to your thread. We will also be traveling to the world at this time, and coincidentally... I went to high school with your DH!
Will read back and post more pertinent information later. My sleep schedule is all wacky from staying up 24 hours for Leap Day at DL.
~Zara
What a small world this is! I guess Vacaville-ians are everywhere though.

Very jealous that you got to go for Leap Day. I was hoping to have an excuse to be on the mainland for it since we have APs but as it turns out I had to travel to California 3 weeks before and a week after, so shoehorning another trip in wasn't going to happen. I heard it was a madhouse with 66,000 AP holders and another 40,000 non-AP holders. The sheer spectacle of it must have been amazing, though it does make me afraid of what opening weekend of Carsland will look like. We have a reservation at VGC for that weekend that we made a long time ago based on what DH's boss said he would give him for time off, had no idea we might run into opening weekend itself.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
taaren

And MYW 10-day Park Hoppers are bought! Had some extra income this month, so went ahead and took the plunge on Undercover Tourist through the Mousesavers link. Even though we only saved $14 per ticket, I figure for the three of us that's still a meal or maybe an few extras one evening at the World.

Vacation fund has not been dipped into yet, and lodging and tickets are paid for. Which is good since our airline tickets getting from Hawaii to the West Coast will probably take up most of the vacation fund, with a little leftover for dining/souvenirs. As soon as I file our taxes and get the refund, paying off the cruise will be taken care of, and as soon as Southwest Airlines releases the December dates we'll be able to book it on points ... C'mon Southwest! Release those dates!

Its becoming more real now ...
Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
taaren

So Katie and I have hammered out a rough schedule for the first week, mostly around what we would like to do for our ADR's. If we have to move parks or days to avoid morning Extra Magic Hours or catch evening EMH's we'll be okay with that.

Their family will probably be taking a red-eye in and arriving early Saturday morning. I'm still waiting to see about Southwest fare differences between Friday and Saturday to see whether we'll fly in Friday night and stay at an airport hotel or leave California Saturday morning and arrive at 4p Saturday, Dec 1. We'll find out May 21 when Southwest releases their December fares!

Sat Dec 1 - possible no park, or if we get there early enough Animal Kingdom, DTD and T-Rex Cafe for dinner around 7p.

Sun Dec 2 - Magic Kingdom in the morning, nap and lunch in the villa, then Epcot in the evening (or possibly AK if we didn't get to it the day before) and have counter service dinner in the World Showcase somewhere.

Mon Dec 3 - Epcot in the morning, Chefs de France for Michael's b-day lunch. Back to villa for a nap, then go to DHS. Or if we're feeling up to it head straight to DHS without a nap.

Tues Dec 4 - DHS in the morning, get all the rough rides in, then Sci-Fi for Brian's birthday lunch. He asked for a really good burger. Then back to the villa for a rest, then MK for the evening, barring CP happening this night. Reservation at Whispering Canyon for appetizers and desserts around 8p, and if we make it great, if not we're okay with that too.

Wed Dec 5 - Character breakfast at Tusker House, then head to Animal Kingdom. In the evening, we're hoping to book a cruise to watch Illuminations and leave the kids either in the room or at the Beach Clubhouse and spend an evening in Epcot.

Thurs Dec 6 - We head for the cruise!

Now I just have to figure out what we're doing the second week. And wait for the December schedule and May 21 for flights, and June 4 for ADRs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: