Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where are you most likely to be attacked by Birds at WDW
Magic Kingdom 1 6.25%
Animal Kingdom 8 50.00%
Epcot 3 18.75%
Hollywood Studios 0 0%
Waterparks 0 0%
Downtown Disney 1 6.25%
your resort 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #31
shellbelle
DIS Veteran

What a great report! I am really enjoying reading it.

Thanks for posting it.
June 2009 to celebrate DD11s and my birthday at POLY, BEACH CLUB AND POR!!!
POP - July 2007
WL - Dec 2006 / ASMo - Dec 2006
CSR - May 2006 /AS Sp - May 2006
POP - Oct 2005 Birthday trip
POP - June 2004 Birthday trip
ASMU - Sept 1996
Hyatt - Aug 1992
Sheraton - July 1987 ( Honeymoon)

AUGUST 2007 BASKET WINNER FROM FERALPEG
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #32
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Another two week safari

After lunch we used our fastpass for Kilimanjaro Safari.

fine but we did use a fastpass

We had never done the safari ride twice in one day and had never done it any time other than in the morning. I was curious if there would be much difference. This time, DSis didn’t follow people into the wrong vehicle and we weren’t stopped forever waiting for a crane to cross the road. This time no cheetahs but the male lion was sleeping and we got a good look at his cute face.

sable antelope and proof that every game drive is different!

ten points if you know which giraffe this is

each animal is tagged for ID

grand finale

I killed some time in the gift shop as DSis used the restroom and when we headed over to Asia we came on DeVine! Actually if about 50 people hadn’t been standing there I might not have noticed her! What a talent!

the items they display around the store - not for sale - are really exactly what you find in shops in Kenya!

back out in the busy streets
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #33
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbelle View Post
What a great report! I am really enjoying reading it.

Thanks for posting it.
Oh my gosh! I didn't know anyone else was reading it! Thank you! I'm so glad you are enjoying it - I'm having so much fun reliving it all! Even if I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to formating photos and doing hyperlinks!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #34
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Well, Shellbell and CindyIsMyFav

Are you ready for a snack credit? I am... (Sorry for the typo Shellbelle!)

By this time it was so crowded and so hot that we needed a snack break. We headed to Dawalla Drink stand for frozen Cokes.

I was so distracted by the details in the place that I could hardly order – the CMs got a kick out of my appreciation for their workspace though.

We sat in this cute little hut behind the drink stand, with a view of the water and shaded. It was the most refreshing Slurpee of my life!

Kali Rapids was still closed for Technical Difficulties still, so we headed to the bus back to CBR.

We had planned to have dinner at Downtown Disney tonight, but we were so tired we decided just to stay at the resort that evening. We had also thought about renting bikes, but the boat and bike rentals are only open from 11am to 5pm and we couldn’t get rested from the park in time to rent bikes. Plus it was incredibly hot in the afternoon. Would have been better in the evening.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #35
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Another Saturday night...

We went swimming at Aruba Village pool and it was actually a little cool with the breeze – when you were first out of the water…

That evening at Old Port Royal we stopped at the ticket counter to pick up day passes for Typhoon Lagoon. While we waited the CMs started line dancing.

For dinner we sat at “our table” on the porch watching the water.

We didn’t even have energy to stay out to see the fireworks. This night we went to the room and I worked on downloading photos from my camera and starting to take notes on all that we did!

On the way to the room I saw this...

Seriously was beginning to get a little tired of animals! No, that's not possible! Poop and all it was a good day.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-15-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #36
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

Ok, so it looks like a reticulated giraffe on pg. 3 here . . . but it's been too long since we had 'em at our zoo here!

I LOVE the gibbons! We got some great pics not this trip, but our one 2 years ago. Including a baby!

I am highly impressed with your FP management at AK! That's still the park I'm least familiar with of the four and is the one we skip on very short trips . . . Everest is such a fantastic ride though! Have you ever sat in the front? We rode 3 times in March and sat up front twice. It's a really nice view when the track is torn up and then you get a great feeling for the backwards part.

Mammoth races! This is one of my favorites! I do not care if I am competing against children though. Once I won maybe a 5 or 6 player race and got a pretty big purple turtle. I even make DH play with me so we have 2 shots at winning! Now, in your particular scenario, I would have felt just as bad not knowing there was 1 kid on the other side. But in a big crowd, every man, woman or child for themselves!

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #37
speedo
Mouseketeer

Thanks DSis for posting the great TR! Can't wait for you to post more!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #38
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyIsMyFave View Post
I am highly impressed with your FP management at AK! That's still the park I'm least familiar with of the four and is the one we skip on very short trips . . . Everest is such a fantastic ride though! Have you ever sat in the front? We rode 3 times in March and sat up front twice. It's a really nice view when the track is torn up and then you get a great feeling for the backwards part.
I love all of the parks but there is something about Animal Kingdom that makes it one of my favorite parks. I actually may like it more than Magic Kingdom Well on second thought maybe not but it is definitely right up there in my mind with Magic Kingdom. It is funny because I was so against the idea of it when they first built it but now I am a big fan!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #39
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

mystery giraffe

I think he's a Maasai Giraffe because I always think the Reticulated have a pattern like rectangular bricks. There's also a species called Rothschild's that are smallest. I wish they had those!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #40
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day Four! Family of the Day!

So fanny pack, tennis shoes and Mickey t-shirt on I’m ready to head to Magic Kingdom (no breakfast bounty today). We leave for the bus at 8am to be at the park one hour before rope drop. I don’t remember seeing the opening ceremony before – at least I’m sure I haven’t seen it in the past decade.

We are the first through the turnstiles and sit down on the planter bench directly in front of the train station. People are clustering at either entrance but we are here for the show. We were approached by a CM to answer some questions about our visit.

family, but not of the day

About 20 minutes later a group of two families traveling together with young children sat next to us on the planter bench and not long after they were approached by a couple CMs and invited to open the park. The dads and one of the mom’s stayed back – so excited – and the kids and one mom went with the cast members. They got all the characters signatures and were joking that they were set for the day!

Seems to me to be the family of the day – go early and stand back by the planter bench center of the entry area. And have cute kids.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #41
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Not the best idea ever...

We came up with this great plan of me taking the Keys to the World Card and walking as fast as possible to the Splash Mountain Fastpass. And DSis would get us breakfast at Main Street Bakery. Technical Difficulty – Dsis needed the Key to the World to charge the snack credits!

Unfortunately I never realized this but she did and took her time walking up Main Street.

DSis stops to take a photo of the time. She's got plenty of it while she waits for me back at Main Street.

I almost stopped my Splash Mountain dash to get a picture with him, but instead snapped a shot as I trotted by.

Frontierland was empty!

I hobbled back to the bakery – I had managed to get cramps in both calf muscles! I felt like I had just run an 8K – should have been stretching during that hour wait at rope drop!

Had yummy hot cinnamon roll and DSis had a chocolate croissant. I had read on DIS that the cinnamon rolls weren’t as good anymore from MSB. I had never had one before so I can’t compare – but this was warm, gooey, sweet, and HUGE! The chocolate croissant was flaky with dark chocolate.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Fantasyland - still a lot to offer even with construction!

After breakfast we strolled through the castle and we were immediately greeted by Cinderella’s stepsisters and stepmother.

We got in line to ride Snow White in Fantasyland followed by going in to watch Philharmagic – I had never seen it before and I was blown away – the musical numbers are terrific. It’s really an attraction adults will enjoy as much as children – the quintessential Disney attraction.

I went over to Tomorrowland to pick up fastpasses for Buzz Lightyear and DSis met me at Pirates of the Caribbean.

Along the way, I saw Push and this

and this

and I wasn't the only one headed this way

making good time

I got there just as Capt’n Jack Sparrow was coming out to amuse his fans.

We had back to back cruises – there were so few people in Adventureland that we walked on first the left line and then decided to do the right line.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-16-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #43
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

We then cashed in our Splash Mountain fast pass – the stand by was already 50 minutes and our wait was 5! The new lap bar isn’t a big deal – it goes across both passengers.

And we didn’t get as wet as we have in the recent past – the jets that used to get you when another log came down while you were rounding the bend, no longer hits your log.

When the CM asked us her survey questions one was what attractions we considered “must do” and we said Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise at night (just what came to my mind – Dsis was sorry she forgot to mention Snow White). When asked why Splash Mountain I said I love the story of Brer Rabbit – I remember the songs and stories so well from my childhood and the theme is so great in the ride. It’s the truth…

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #44
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Great TR. I love your photos and details. It really stinks that they didn't pick you guys to be the family of the day. You are family too. Oh well. I guess they just like the idea of little kids. Thanks for the great pictures. It makes leaving in one week that much more exciting.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #45
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Since we were over in Frontierland and we already ate at Columbia Harbour House – we ate at Pecos Bill.

By the time we stepped out of Pecos Bill, Frontierland was packed. We fought the crowds and headed to Tomorrowland to use the fastpass on Buzzlight year. I had hoped to redeem myself, but nearly to the end of the game/attraction DSis was 20,000 ahead of me but then we had one last shot as the photos go off and I found my Z. I managed to come from behind to be 15,000 ahead of DSis in the end! When we got out of the ride we stopped to check out the photo – we hadn’t bought any photos yet and this one we could not pass up…

Even the CM had a hard time not laughing.

We took the Peoplemover for a spin – no line this time – and laughed and laughed at the look on DSis’ face in the Buzz photo.

We walked back through Fantasyland and stopped to read the walls advertising the future attractions there and blocking the construction. The new castle seems cool!

On the way to pick up Peterpan Fastpasses for tonight we passed Pinocchio and I kept thinking that ride was also here – but guess that is just at Disneyland!

Before heading out for the afternoon we stopped on Main Street to enjoy the Dapper Dans (different Dans then the other day). And of course stopped by the confectionery for candy – definitely the most stressful part of the day was deciding what to buy with the snack credits. We planned to get a snack each to take back to the resort.

We then headed to the bus will all our goodies and three fastpasses each to use tonight.

Since I don’t have a pool or beach at home – I threw on my suit and headed to the pool and then dried off in a hammock on the beach before showering and changing for dinner.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-16-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Tags
cbr, qsdp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: