Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #91
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Six Flags sounds like fun, I had no idea it was so expensive for other things, like parking and eating, though! I haven't been there in years, I'd like to go and ride the coasters, but I feel like I'd be disappointed after spending so much time in Disney lately!

Waterproof makeup is such a great idea for Disney! That dress is really cute, I don't think it looks too revealing! I can't find dresses anywhere, I just want a dress for our Artist Point night, nothing fancy, but there is just nothing around right now! Pretty soon fall clothes are going to be out!
Haha-- one of the friends that I went with did the College Program awhile back, so we pretty much compared it to Disney the whole day! I know-- I'm having trouble finding sundresses I like, too! The dress definitely doesn't look too revealing on the model, but I'm definitely "hanging out" more than she is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
I loooove makeup too. Especially the expensive brands. Sadly that's pretty much my taste in everything! Have you ever tried the Too Faced lash injection mascara? It's the best I've found so far. I completely understand wanting to look good in the pictures! I know some people don't do much (or any) makeup at Disney due to the heat, but I always wear a full face of it!
I'm right there with you on the expensive taste!! My taste is definitely a lot larger than my paycheck! I did try the Too Faced mascara on at Sephora and really loved it! I was actually stuck between that and the Stila, but I decided to go with the latter because I know I really like their eye-shadows, so I thought the mascara would be for me, too. I think I might try Too Faced when I run out (or in a month when I get the urge to buy make-up again haha)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Jasmine has the same problem as you Kylie, tiny but well endowed, she hates it when it comes to things fitting everywhere but there

Jasmine is planning a trip to the mall on Saturday to pick up some MAC makeup she has run out of and I think I'll join her...girl's day at the mall and then appetizers and cocktails on a patio...

I love the dress btw!!
It really is a problem-- I always see great priced dresses and tops online but have to be so careful about ordering because I don't know how they'll fit!
That sounds like the perfect day!! Have fun!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #92
klacey1
DIS Veteran

So, I need everyone's help! On our last trip, we skipped Animal Kingdom. Zach just wasn't interested and since we had limited time, that was fine by me. I have only been once and thought it was alright.
Unfortunately, two of the attractions I loved last time-- Primeval Whirl and It's Tough to be a Bug are-- are under refurb during our vacation! Pretty much the only things I want to do are Dinosaur, Everest, the petting zoo (no joke!), and possibly the Festival of the Lion King. Zach is not too crazy about any of those attractions, actually-- Everest is a little high for him (will probably convince him, though) and my accounts of the dinosaur leaping out at you have pretty much scared him (although, again, I'll probably be able to convince him!). He'll be fine with the petting zoo and see FOTLK if I really want to, but I don't want him to HAVE to. I want him to find things to LOVE about AK-- or at least like it enough to enjoy himself for a day! So, what do you guys love about AK?? What can I lure him in with?? For that matter-- what should I love about AK? There's got to be more than two rides, a show, and a zoo there for me!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #93
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I love the food! Flame Tree BBQ is great! I've also heard wonderful things about Tusker House.

Dinosaur is one of my favorite rides, so that's a priority for me. I like Everest, too.

We don't really get into the safari, but we do like walking the trails.

Safari Amber is a pretty good beer, if you're the kind of person that is into beer. On our last trip, I was eyeing the bar outside Tusker House; it looks like a great place to relax!

That being said, if you (or Zach) are not excited to go, it is ok to skip it again!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #94
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

My favorite thing about AK is FOTLK...I absolutely love that show and I weep everytime I see it...while I'm singing at the top of lungs much to Jasmine's dismay

We also love EE, KRR, KS...but honestly...that's it! We usually spend half a day and head back to the resort
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #95
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

We love AK! If they had just a few more attractions it could easily be our favorite park. Everest is a must for us. I hate roller coasters, and I love it, so I hope you can convince Zach! I think Dinosaur is a hilarious ride! I don't know what it is but something about it just cracks me up. That's always a must do for us. And we just love the safari. It is so peaceful out there. For some reason, I always think I'm going to be bored on it because it's the same spill over and over again, but it gets me every time. I just love it. Definitely see FOTLK! The bird show around Yak & Yeti is kind of neat too unless you're scared of birds. It's a kind of a one time thing, but I think it's worth it at least once! It was actually pretty funny. Speaking of Y&Y, I definitely recommend that for lunch, and the Tusker House lunch buffet is really good, too. It's got tons to choose from and it's a really good mixture of African-inspired cuisine and American favorites. One day I will get around to the trails and the Raffiki thing, but we're always too caught up in the other stuff.
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #96
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I love AK! Everest and the safari are must do's for us. I really enjoy walking the trails too, there are so may great details to see! If you go out to Rafiki's Planet Watch (petting zoo) go in the morning, you may have a chance to see the vets at work then. The shows are awesome, FOTLK is my favorite, but Nemo and Flights of Wonder are also great. Maybe my favorite thing to do though is to grab a Lost on Safari at the Dawa Bar and just sit at those tables and relax
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #97
jenny105
DIS Veteran

No safari? Kilamanjaro and Everest are the main reasons I go to AK. I usually only spend a half a day there. I don't feel like there's enough to do for an entire day.

You can always have a character breakfast at Tusker House too! It's cute!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #98
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I love the food! Flame Tree BBQ is great! I've also heard wonderful things about Tusker House.

Dinosaur is one of my favorite rides, so that's a priority for me. I like Everest, too.

We don't really get into the safari, but we do like walking the trails.

Safari Amber is a pretty good beer, if you're the kind of person that is into beer. On our last trip, I was eyeing the bar outside Tusker House; it looks like a great place to relax!

That being said, if you (or Zach) are not excited to go, it is ok to skip it again!
I love BBQ, but for some reason, Flame Tree's menu doesn't appeal to me. I wish it had more variety/sides. I do love Dinosaur, and think Zach will too, once he gets over the dino scaring him haha.
I am a huge beer lover (wow, that sounds bad!)-- what are some similar, more common beers to the Safari Amber??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
My favorite thing about AK is FOTLK...I absolutely love that show and I weep everytime I see it...while I'm singing at the top of lungs much to Jasmine's dismay

We also love EE, KRR, KS...but honestly...that's it! We usually spend half a day and head back to the resort
I have only heard good things about FOTLK! I didn't see it the last time I was there, but again, the reviews are just glowing! We'll probably make time for it. I KNOW I'll be singing along, too, haha!
I think it'll be a half day park for us, too...the last time I was there, my traveling party stayed for probably three hours (family reunion trip about five years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
We love AK! If they had just a few more attractions it could easily be our favorite park. Everest is a must for us. I hate roller coasters, and I love it, so I hope you can convince Zach! I think Dinosaur is a hilarious ride! I don't know what it is but something about it just cracks me up. That's always a must do for us. And we just love the safari. It is so peaceful out there. For some reason, I always think I'm going to be bored on it because it's the same spill over and over again, but it gets me every time. I just love it. Definitely see FOTLK! The bird show around Yak & Yeti is kind of neat too unless you're scared of birds. It's a kind of a one time thing, but I think it's worth it at least once! It was actually pretty funny. Speaking of Y&Y, I definitely recommend that for lunch, and the Tusker House lunch buffet is really good, too. It's got tons to choose from and it's a really good mixture of African-inspired cuisine and American favorites. One day I will get around to the trails and the Raffiki thing, but we're always too caught up in the other stuff.
Haha, I'm not afraid of birds. I sort of forgot about that show-- maybe we'll make time for that. I rode the Safari a few years ago and thought it was just okay...I don't know how Zach would enjoy it, though...As much as I hear people like you who love it, I just can't imagine him getting into seeing the animals! I guess I don't know until I get him on it, so maybe we'll try? I feel like I'm going to have to be even more lax about AK than I am with the other parks-- and I already feel like I play it by ear with the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I love AK! Everest and the safari are must do's for us. I really enjoy walking the trails too, there are so may great details to see! If you go out to Rafiki's Planet Watch (petting zoo) go in the morning, you may have a chance to see the vets at work then. The shows are awesome, FOTLK is my favorite, but Nemo and Flights of Wonder are also great. Maybe my favorite thing to do though is to grab a Lost on Safari at the Dawa Bar and just sit at those tables and relax
We live in the middle of horse country and love visiting farms, so the petting zoo and possibly seeing the vets at work really appeals to us! Thanks for the tip on the morning being the best time to possibly catch seeing the vets! I definitely like the idea of sitting with a drink and relaxing, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
No safari? Kilamanjaro and Everest are the main reasons I go to AK. I usually only spend a half a day there. I don't feel like there's enough to do for an entire day.

You can always have a character breakfast at Tusker House too! It's cute!
I think we're probably going to only do AK for a half day, too. When there's so many other things we love to do in WDW, why waste time doing something we're not that into?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #99
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
I love BBQ, but for some reason, Flame Tree's menu doesn't appeal to me. I wish it had more variety/sides. I do love Dinosaur, and think Zach will too, once he gets over the dino scaring him haha.
I am a huge beer lover (wow, that sounds bad!)-- what are some similar, more common beers to the Safari Amber??
Now that you mention it, Flame Tree has a pretty limited menu. But the BBQ chicken salad is what I always get and I love it!

Nothing wrong with being a beer lover! Safari Amber is brewed by Anheuser-Busch, so the beer snob in me doesn't want to recommend it too highly. It's pretty much like a Sam Adams, or maybe Yeungling lager. I was pleasantly surprised by it and think it's cool that it is only served at AK and AKL (I think- I could be wrong about that)
Mmmm, is 11:30am too early for a beer?
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #100
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love the Nemo show. I have seen that many more times than FOTLK. It is really a great show. Definitely worth seeing if you haven't already.

And the Safari - truly the best themed, most immersive attraction at all of Disney.

Heck - I love the AK in general. It is a photographer's dream. Take the walk behind the tree of life to see all the cool animal carvings.

Front seat of EE is EXCELLENT. The one thing I haven't done - EE in the dark. I want to do that sooooooooo bad.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #101
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I don't love AK. We usually do the Safari, FOTLK (my favorite show at Disney - and my children's favorite, too), maybe petting zoo, the AK version of Dumbo (you can certainly skip that since you don't have young kids!), Kali River Rapids, and that's about it. My family likes Rainforest Cafe but most people don't care for it at all. We'll probably try Expedition Everest this year (I didn't realize my 2 older ones are tall enough). It's really a half-day park for us. Maybe my kids are too young for us to take the time to appreciate the theming? Also, we're regulars at the Bronx Zoo (obviously not themed the way a Disney park is but still it's a pretty good place for seeing animals!) so maybe they're spoiled?

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #102
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Now that you mention it, Flame Tree has a pretty limited menu. But the BBQ chicken salad is what I always get and I love it!

Nothing wrong with being a beer lover! Safari Amber is brewed by Anheuser-Busch, so the beer snob in me doesn't want to recommend it too highly. It's pretty much like a Sam Adams, or maybe Yeungling lager. I was pleasantly surprised by it and think it's cool that it is only served at AK and AKL (I think- I could be wrong about that)
Mmmm, is 11:30am too early for a beer?
Hmmm, I like Sam well enough! I do tend to be an international snob, though haha. LOL- It's 1:30 here and I'm counting down until post-work happy hour! (So no, I don't think 11:30 is too early )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love the Nemo show. I have seen that many more times than FOTLK. It is really a great show. Definitely worth seeing if you haven't already.

And the Safari - truly the best themed, most immersive attraction at all of Disney.

Heck - I love the AK in general. It is a photographer's dream. Take the walk behind the tree of life to see all the cool animal carvings.

Front seat of EE is EXCELLENT. The one thing I haven't done - EE in the dark. I want to do that sooooooooo bad.
Nemo for us will probably be a "if we have time" sort of thing. Zach has never seen the movie (blasphemous!) and I don't know how much the show would do for him. He hated when we saw Avenue Q and you could see the puppeteers. He prefers Muppet/Sesame St. Style-- no visible puppeteers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I don't love AK. We usually do the Safari, FOTLK (my favorite show at Disney - and my children's favorite, too), maybe petting zoo, the AK version of Dumbo (you can certainly skip that since you don't have young kids!), Kali River Rapids, and that's about it. My family likes Rainforest Cafe but most people don't care for it at all. We'll probably try Expedition Everest this year (I didn't realize my 2 older ones are tall enough). It's really a half-day park for us. Maybe my kids are too young for us to take the time to appreciate the theming? Also, we're regulars at the Bronx Zoo (obviously not themed the way a Disney park is but still it's a pretty good place for seeing animals!) so maybe they're spoiled?

Amanda
See, maybe the Bronx Zoo is why the Safari doesn't interest us that much either. I grew up going to both that and the Safari at Six Flags. Even now, we try to hit the Bronx Zoo once a year. Even that, though, Zach just does for me. Ever since he encountered two bears on his street (in lower Putnam County!!), once when he was seven and once when he was in high school, animals have NOT been his thing. (Oh, and he saw his beloved cat ripped to shreds by a dog when he was eight. Annnnnnd a bee stung him in a male sensitive area and he had to go to the hospital when he was in middle school. Seeing a trend? Animals and Zach do NOT mix! )
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #103
klacey1
DIS Veteran

So, like many of you, even though I've been to Disney plenty of times, there are still many attractions I've never experienced. So, below is a list of "Never been on/see and plan to in August" and "Never been on/see and don't care to go on/see ever" for each park. I would love if everyone shared their thoughts with me! Something I want to see that's not really worth it? Something I don't care to see that you really think I'd be missing out on?? Please, enlighten me . Also, happy Friday, everyone!! Even with the shorter week, these past four days have been crazyy and I'm thrilled to get a chance to relax. Tonight, we're going to see Horrible Bosses, which looks really funny. Tomorrow, we might go to Lake Compounce, a pretty family-friendly amusement park in Connecticut with some friends of ours. They offer free Pepsi products all day!

Magic Kingdom
Never done and want to!
Liberty Belle Steamship: It just looks relaxing-- something nice to do after lunch when the lines can get a little crazy!
Tomorrowland Transit Authority: Same idea as Liberty Belle.
Snow White's Scary Adventures: This will definitely be closed the next time we get to Disney, so I want to make sure we ride it before it goes away forever!
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor: I am on the fence with this one. It looks like it could be funny (especially if Zach got on the big screen!), but also...maybe not.

Never done and don't care to!
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway: Zach and I drive real cars. I don't think this ride has much appeal beyond the under-10 set!
Dumbo: I know this is pretty sacrilege. Neither of us has the desire to wait more than two minutes for this one-- if we saw zero line, maybe, but otherwise...no interest!
Swiss Family Treehouse: I heard once there was a gigantic snake in here and they had to evacuate. No thank you.

Epcot
Never done and want to!
Journey into Imagination with Figment: Why not? It's a revamped classic. I actually know nothing about this ride...
Soarin: I've only ridden the (identical) version in CA. To be honest, I don't get the hype, but if the line isn't too long after we hit Test Track in the morning, I'd like Zach to experience it (even though his desire isn't that high).

Living with the Land: Neither of us are interested in plants. Plus, I'd probably get bummed out seeing the little alligators, and knowing what their fate was. (I am not a vegetarian, but I don't like seeing my food live before I eat it!)
Any of the WS movies (besides Norway or the American Adventure): We'd rather tour the shops and talk to the cast members. Plus, if I stand still in one place without walking, my knees tend to lock and I get lightheaded. I know, that's my problem and I need to learn to stand correctly!

Animal Kingdom
Of course, Zach's never been here, but I plan on simply repeating when I've already done (save the refurbed rides) and probably trying out FOTLK as a new experience.

Hollywood Studios
Never done and want to!
One Man's Dream: I may have quickly run through here, but we both want to spend a long time taking in everything this trip!

Animation Academy: This would be laughable-- neither of us is terribly artistic. I just know we wouldn't get into it.
Indy: No strong appeal...
LMA: Neither of us are "car" people. Zach likes some action movies, but not enough to want to sit on hot benches and watch this!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #104
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Liberty Belle Steamship is a nice breather. Just be careful where you stand. I stood to close to one of the steamers and it kept dripping hot water on me! TTA is also a relaxing ride.

I never wait in line for Dumbo. 60 minutes? For a ride that does nothing but go around in a circle? Nope. If I had kids, different story. I'm like you, no line I'll go on it.

I simply do not get the fascination with Living with the Land. I've read about it in so many people's TRs and What's the appeal? Someone enlighten me!

If you've seen LMA once, there's no need to see it again. I will see it in 2012 because Lightning McQueen is now part of the show. If you have time, give it a try. Indy's always funf or us but Kris is a huge Indy fan.

Give the Animation Academy a try! You might be surprised!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #105
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I agree with jenny105 - give the Animation Academy a chance, I didn't think we'd like it either, but after one time we were hooked!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: