Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
descovy
DIS Veteran

Taking a Caribbean cruise w/o passports

We're taking our very first cruise in December. It is the NCL Spirit out of New Orleans to the Western Caribbean (Belieze, Cozumel, Coasta Maya, Roatan)

The deal is we are a family of 5 and do not have passports. I have read that on a closed-loop cruise (leaving and entering the same port) that you can cruise with just a photo ID (adults) and embossed, official birth certificates.

My question is, has anybody here ever cruised with just the birth certificates? Did it create any hassle when you got off the ship?

I am leaning toward not getting passports because of the shear cost ($500) for them... and then the kids' passports are only good for 5 years. We have a modest vacation budget in that we only vacay once a year, and it is usually by car. And we live 2200 mi from "home" where the rest of the grandparents/family are from, so every other year the vacation budget is blown on a trip home. So I just don't see us getting a lot of use out of $500 worth of passports in the next 5 years. I'd rather wait until we NEED the passports, and if we don't NEED them for the cruise, I don't want to spend the $$ for what may very well be a one-time use.

The ports I am not crazy about. Again, I had to be talked into this cruise, but what did it for me was 7 days of pure relaxation. I might get off the ship to go to the beach, but as far as excursions ($100/pp x 5!) I am not so interested in being crammed into a tour bus like cattle, and seeing tourist-traps. So "missing the boat" is highly unlikely.
descovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Kimberle
WL Vet

I someone gets sick, hurt, or for someother reason you need to fly home, you will have an extremely hard time. Also, your birth certificated need to be the official, embrossed ones, or you won't be able to board the ship.

JMHO, I'd never leave the country without a passport. It's just not worth the risk.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

The big issues with not having passports is if you get sick and need to go home early you need a passport, if you miss the ship on a shore excursion, you need a passport. I would at LEAST get passports for the adults in the group.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
gracie1
DIS Veteran

I had a friend book a cruise last year out of ft. lauderdale. They wouldn't even allow them to board without a passport.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
taitai
DIS Veteran

An official, original birth certificate might be okay on a closed loop to allow you back into the US. However, don't you need a passport to enter Honduras, Belize and Mexico? If you don't plan on leaving the boat you should be okay. However, I would guess you would need a passport to actually enter the countries you are cruising to.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
czycropper
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't risk it. You don't have to take the excursions but may just want to go explore on your own and without the passports you won't be able to get off the ship.

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
DrCavin
DIS Veteran

As long as NCL doesn't have an issue with it you will be fine. I have read some cruise lines require passports even though they are not required by the Govt, not sure which cruise line(s) they were.

You can get off the ship at all those stops without a passport. Always a debate on taking your PP with you when you leave the ship or just taking a copy.

Yes you will have some delays IF for some reason you need to not complete your cruise, but that is probably a very small chance & your decision if it is worth $500.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
LIDisneyFan
Older, yet for some reason not much wiser
I get by with a little help from my friends

Read the cruise lines FAQs for the minimum requirement. But as an avid cruiser, I agree that it is worth the $$$ in the event something happened.

Also-the ports you are going to are AMAZING (OK, Belieze is a little sleepy unless you do an excursion). In Costa Maya, wear your bathing suit, shop around and spend a day at the big 'cruise pool' in the center of town (complete with swim up bars). Cozumel is great for strolling around and souvenier shopping. Roatan is small, but if you can swing it-go zip lining (you can easily arrange this on your own through a company call zip and clip (or is it clip and zip).

Enjoy!

We leave on an Eastern Caribbean cruise Sunday!
LIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

It's not something I would do.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
ShuisFan584
Bowler & Softball player!
STAR pitcher!
Alright already, get Sheridan and Luis back together or fuggedaboutit!

I've never heard anything like that before. We had to have passports on the Caribbean cruises I've been on. I can't imagine not having one.

ShuisFan584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
dzorn
DIS Addict

I would not travel without them. I consider it part of the cost of a cruise.

Denise in MI
VWL January 2015, Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

While passports are currently not required on closed loop cruises, I would never leave the US without a passport.

We took our passports with us on our closed loop cruise. It gave peace of mind in case an emergency would have happened.

We got them for our children, too, even though they didn't go on the cruise. As they become adults, it will make it easier for them to just re-new a passport instead of applying for their first one. Passports are the gold standard for ID.

It also makes jumping on that plane last minute to Paris a bit easier.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I cruise every year with a group; lots of them don't have passports.

It's not a big deal.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
shirleyb
I'm a lot funnier in real life.

I got a passport last year for a cruise I took. I too questioned why I needed it, but everyone else in my group insisted we did.

The strange thing to me, is that when you get off the ship for an excursion, they tell you to keep it looked in your room safe. Then why do I need a passport? If I miss the ship, that passport isn't helping me at all.

It's not the rain that matters, it's how you dance in it.
shirleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
JLTraveling
DIS Veteran

The very fact that you say you don't want to do official shore excursions makes it crucial to get passports, IMO. The ship will wait for those who are delayed on an official, booked through the cruise line, shore excursion. If you lose track of time on the beach, get stuck with a bad cabbie, or are otherwise delayed when you are on your own, the ship will NOT wait and you will have to fly to the next destination to meet the ship. Without passports, that could be difficult or impossible.

As others have pointed out, if anyone in your family gets sick or injured, or if God forbid anything bad happens back home, and you need to end the cruise early, you will need a passport to fly back into the U.S.

We would never dream of cruising without passports. Would you rather budget $500 now or take the gamble of needing twice that if an emergency should arise?

ETA: shirleyb, it's helping you by existing. The background checks, etc that are required for a passport take time. Once you're in the system, though, reissuing a valid passport is significantly less time-consuming. You're supposed to carry a copy of your passport when you leave the ship, or at least write down the number, and preferably leave a copy with someone at home. That way, if anything happens, you take a copy to the Embassy and they reissue the passport.

That said, we never leave the ship without our physical passports. It's required in some countries (not in the Caribbean), so we're used to being very careful with them. It's a personal choice though.
JLTraveling is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: