Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Is it worth the money to be at a monorail resort?

Our last trip to Disney was when our DS was almost 3 and our DD was 8 months. We stayed in a cabin at the Fort Wilderness campground. We had a fabulous time but the worse part was just too many buses and getting on and off with a stroller and having to fold it up each time. I know you can rent strollers but that is additional money and then you have to carry the kids the whole time until you get to the park in addition to a diaper bag, etc.

So we are considering staying at a Deluxe resort on the monorail for the next trip but man are they expensive! We now have a 5 yo DS, 3 yo DD, and 10 month old DS. Looking at going back either summer 2012, spring break 2013, or summer 2013.

Would it be worth it? Or are there other parks that are fairly easy to get to without being on the monorail?
3littlecuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

I think you are going to get various answers to your question. I think your best bet is to sit down and figure out what is going to be important to you and what you are willing to pay for. Is it worth it to have a shorter trip and stay on the monorail or a longer trip and deal with buses? You might need to think how much you pack in the diaper bag and if you are going to use all your pack mules, I mean DH and oldest child to help out. Are you going to need a stroller and a diaper bag? Or can you get by with lots of breaks and just you and DH carring a bag If you need a stroller can you use just an umbrella stoller, those fold quick and easy.
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

We have always done Riverside in the past which I consider a beautiful resort. I love alot of things about it.

But with all that said, YES!!!

We stayed at the Grand Floridian last week and it was awesome. I dread the bus system. It was actually decent this time around but I will take a monorail or boat anytime over the buses.
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
tink15823
DIS Veteran

I am so glad you posted this we are so unsure. I am stuck on Contemporary , Beach Club , Polly, Port Orleans and Art Of Animation next year September 2012. All our friends keep telling us its so far away but not when you think about. Sorry I was no help but I can't wait to see the replies.

ASMU 1996 ASMO 2005 2008 2010 Art of Animation 2012
tink15823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Yes and no. with such young kids and with the amount of time you will probably spend at MK I would say Yes. I think it would be awesome to simply plop the strollers in the monorail at the end of the day to go back home vs having to wake everyone up and putting them in the car of bus. we have never done it but I can tell you how heartbreaking it is to see your child sleep and having to wake them up not only to put them in the car/bus but then again when you get to the resort. I think the monorail would be so easy, Simply stroll to your room and only have to wake them up to get them to bed.

that being said, I have never been able to justify the cost of deluxe hotel. I prefer going to Disney every year to POR vs going every every 2 years deluxe. Plus we spend very little time in our room other then to sleep and shower. I prefer spend the money elsewhere KWIM. That being said, we are planning on going to Poly next year for our anniversary.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

The Monorail Resorts are great if you plan to spend a lot of time at the Magic Kingdom. Now in my opnion the best one would be the Contemporary since you can use the walkway to the Magic Kingdom and they are the only one which has that. Plus their rates are the least expensive among the Monorail Resorts and their rooms are among the biggest.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

The thing is, everyone's money is differently valued to them. When I think back 10 years ago when money was much tighter, an extra, say, $1000 for a trip would be an impossibility. It would have made the difference between going, and not going. Staying at a monorail resort would never have been worth the money for us back then, because that extra money would have really hurt. But now, we have a little breathing room, and we find it 100% worth it to stay on the monorail. We have done so the past two trips and will be doing so the next trip, as well. Ironically, back whe our kids were in strollers and we needed the monorail most was when we could not afford it. In your case, you will certainly benefit from the monorail in many ways so if the money won't leave too much of a dent, I say go for it!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
andrea1978
Earning My Ears

For me, it's worth the extra cost. My kids are 2 and 4 and it is such a convenience to hop on the monorail and go back to our hotel for a couple of hours to rest and hop back on to go back to the MK.
Plus, in the monrnings we are just 1 or 2 stops from the MK instead of having to deal with buses.
Our main thing to see right now is MK but when the kids are older I'm sure we'll stay at AKL or Pop or another resort...
Kristina
Polynesian 2009
Coronado Springs 2010
Disney Cruise Dream February 2011
Grand Floridian December 2011
andrea1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlecuties View Post
Our last trip to Disney was when our DS was almost 3 and our DD was 8 months. We stayed in a cabin at the Fort Wilderness campground. We had a fabulous time but the worse part was just too many buses and getting on and off with a stroller and having to fold it up each time. I know you can rent strollers but that is additional money and then you have to carry the kids the whole time until you get to the park in addition to a diaper bag, etc.

So we are considering staying at a Deluxe resort on the monorail for the next trip but man are they expensive! We now have a 5 yo DS, 3 yo DD, and 10 month old DS. Looking at going back either summer 2012, spring break 2013, or summer 2013.

Would it be worth it? Or are there other parks that are fairly easy to get to without being on the monorail?
Yes they are expensive but you can wait and see what type of discounts they offer as the date gets closer. We stayed at the CR for $174/nt earlier this year. The main reason I chose the CR the last time was that we wanted to spend most of your time at MK and it being able to walk there and not have to worry about waiting for a bus was well worth it.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
livinintexas
Mouseketeer

We are at CSR right now and the location is great to all 4 parks. It is less than a 5 minute drive to DHS, Ep, and AK. MK is less than 15 minutes. 4 quick bus stops within the resort. We have stayed at WL and BWV and CSR has been my favorite. If you are only going to MK, then yes, monorail resorts are nice but they are further away from everything else too.
livinintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Why not rent a car? You can get one for less than the cost difference between monorail deluxes and moderates.

Or, stay at Wilderness Lodge so you have the boat to/from MK, and rent a car so you can easily get to other resorts. We rented a car our last trip and it was great. You do have to deal with the little trams in the parking lot, though...not sure how that is with a stroller.

The monorail seems totally worth it with young kids.

Last edited by Belle83; 06-05-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

The monorail resorts are a great place to be when you have little ones. If you are using a stroller, you can leave your child in it and just wheel onto the monorail. Using the busses you have to unload everything and fold up the stroller.

And if you plan on spending a lot of time in MK, you can't be the location of the monorail resorts. From the Poly it is a 5 minute walk to the TTC and you can hop the monorail to MK or Epcot. From the Contemporary the Magic Kingdom is an easy stroll. And that is really great at night, no waiting for a bus to take you back to your resort. A short walk and you are back!

I think with 3 little ones, driving would be a hassle. You have to park, gather up all your stuff, and haul it onto the tram with you. All the while trying to wrangle 3 kids and get them up and seated. No thanks!

If you have the money to do a monorail resort, go for it!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
gatormom2tots
Mouseketeer

For us it is worth it....But everybody is different.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Definately worth it if you can do it! So much easier AND convenient!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

It really depends on how long your stay will be and if you plan on going back to your room often. I think it is defanitely worth the money. We like to take afternoon breaks and go swimming, or relax and watch tv and have some snacks for about 2 hrs before heading back to the parks and our dinner ADRS

We always stayed values b/c I looked at it as, hey we are going to be in the parks or maybe even swimming more than in the room, then last yr my DH made my Poly dream come true and now I cant imagine doing it any other way! I want to try CR and GF as well!
Now we have a quick weekend trip 11 days and we are staying CBR for a pirate room for a little boys first WDW visit but darn Im gonna HATE looking across the lagoon and seeing the POLY! LOL
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012

bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: