Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #61
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberbeauty View Post
Hi everyone. I'm so glad to find this thread. I love to write, but haven't in a few years. I really want to get back into it. It's taken me a long time to decide exactly what genre I want to fall into. I finally realized that what I want to write doesn't exist (or I just haven't read it yet) and that I'm going to do it anyway! I want to write Christian Romantic Comedies.

As for me, I also love to write dialogue and hate to write (or read) lengthy descriptions. My inspiration comes from everywhere; dreams, movies, songs, snippets of conversation, etc.

I look forward to being a part of the DIS writing group!
HI! I just found this thread today myself. Glad I've got a place to go where people know what I'm talking about.

I love dialog. description is a necessary evil. I really don't care for long ones either... The OUTLANDER series is a great example of that. Love the story, but skip over the seven pages of how she swept the floor.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #62
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

So writers, if you've got a completely finished MS. All done and polished and sent off to you publisher/agent/editor or even just to some betas....how much stock do you put into their suggestions (or demands) for changes? Have you ever gone back and made huge overhauls after their suggestions, or just minor tweaking, or have you ever just said "Nope...it is what it is."

I have been super fortunate to have some outstanding betas who have given me some terrific feedback (positive and negative) and it has allowed me to make some changes to my MS that I think has made them stronger. However I don't know what I'd do if an agent or publisher wanted some monumental changes made that would require major restructuring or rewrites.
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #63
Octoberbeauty
Always in our hearts and in our prayers
Out of the ashes... special memories to cherish forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
So writers, if you've got a completely finished MS. All done and polished and sent off to you publisher/agent/editor or even just to some betas....how much stock do you put into their suggestions (or demands) for changes? Have you ever gone back and made huge overhauls after their suggestions, or just minor tweaking, or have you ever just said "Nope...it is what it is."

I have been super fortunate to have some outstanding betas who have given me some terrific feedback (positive and negative) and it has allowed me to make some changes to my MS that I think has made them stronger. However I don't know what I'd do if an agent or publisher wanted some monumental changes made that would require major restructuring or rewrites.
See, this is where I would prefer self publishing because it's my story and I want it told my way. I think I would have a big problem with them wanting a major rewrite. I let my mother in law read a short story of mine before and she put so much red ink on it that I couldn't read anything I had written. She had re-written the entire thing in her voice and style! Umm, no!! Haven't let her read anything since.

Octoberbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #64
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post

I have two under contract right now. If the changes are just minor edits, then fine, I will agree with my editor on that. If its a structural change - a major rewrite, then I will let them know that I don't feel my MS is a right fir for them and take it elsewhere. I won't rewrite the entire thing and I will keep the integrity of the piece, the way its meant to me.

Being difficult to work with will put a bad taste in their mouths for sure, and you can count on that being put in your file. I know first hand the repercussions of that. One of the ladies I used to crit for went all diva on them with demands, refusing to take their advice, etc. and now she's having a hard time just getting someone to accept her submissions anywhere.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #65
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberbeauty View Post
See, this is where I would prefer self publishing because it's my story and I want it told my way. I think I would have a big problem with them wanting a major rewrite. I let my mother in law read a short story of mine before and she put so much red ink on it that I couldn't read anything I had written. She had re-written the entire thing in her voice and style! Umm, no!! Haven't let her read anything since.

If someone wants you to do a major rewrite of you MS, then you take it somewhere else until you find the right fit for you.

A really, really good piece of advice that was given to me that I will share with you: never, ever let close friends or family critique your work. They can never be brutal or objective enough without trying to change something (i.e plot)

Here's a blog post from my own crit partner.
http://sarahballance.wordpress.com/2...-crit-partner/

My Author Blog!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #66
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Hey, is this a private party or can I join?

I'm Anna and I am a travel writer. I specialize in Disney. I've been published online on various travel sites and also on web content sites like Demand Studios Helium, and Examiner.

I am writing my first book about my travel experiences. I am looking to self publish, but am open to ideas. I am contacting publishers for more information and am sending my MS in.

Anna
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #67
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post
Hey, is this a private party or can I join?

I'm Anna and I am a travel writer. I specialize in Disney. I've been published online on various travel sites and also on web content sites like Demand Studios Helium, and Examiner.

I am writing my first book about my travel experiences. I am looking to self publish, but am open to ideas. I am contacting publishers for more information and am sending my MS in.

Anna
Hi, Anna! ::

I would love to be a travel writer for Disney. .

What are your travel experiences?? I love to travel.

My Author Blog!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #68
surfergirl602

Just wanted to see what everyone was up to!

My Author Blog!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #69
surfergirl602

Am I a thread killer?

I'm just finishing up a query letter and a synopsis for a submission on Monday. Haven't had to write them before but they are required for this pub. I'm nervous!

My Author Blog!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #70
surfergirl602

Am I a thread killer?

I'm just finishing up a query letter and a synopsis for a submission on Monday. Haven't had to write them before but they are required for this pub. I'm nervous!

My Author Blog!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #71
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Nah you didn't kill it. My momentum just petered out and I haven't touched my WiP in weeks. I'm hoping the time away will help me recharge. At last count, the word count was around 63K (of my planned 90K) so I'm not terribly far off from the finish line.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #72
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I'm still working, but slowly. Getting my daughter ready to move to England is taking so much of my time.

I'm trying to finish my Halloween piece and I've started a new song. I've met a lady who composes music, but has trouble with lyrics. I'm writing lyrics and she is going to try to put them to music. It should be interesting.

Hang in there everyone. The summer is almost over. Time to get back to work!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #73
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

I am still at around 60,500 words of my planned 85,000. My writting is now at a stand still. Right now DH is on strike (he works for Verizon) so it's been stressful for us. We leave for Disney in a few days, then when we come back a day later we have to fly out for DBIL wedding in Fl. and then the kids start school soon. So, I have been busy and haven't had the time to focus on writting. Hopefully I will be able to focus once Sept. rolls around!
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #74
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Hey. Been busy getting ready for our trip!!!!
We leave Wednesday Aug. 17th for D-land!!!!

My travel experiences include: Las Vegas, Disneyland, Eureka Springs, Bahamas, WDW, and Branson. Something ineviatably goes wrong everytime when I go. I expect it to. lol. Ah well....makes for good reading.

We are staying at Ramada Convention Ctr Aug. 17-20.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #75
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

I've been sitting on two manuscripts for a long time. Was searching for an agent diligently for quite some time than gave up. Received a few rejects and many never got back to me at all. Where is a list of publishers? I thought sending it directly to them was a waste of time. How would you figure out which ones would give you the time of day?

Oh... sorry.... add me to the list.

Have a few more manuscripts that need some polishing and rewrites. Haven't been working on any of them lately. Have some problems I have been dealing with lately.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: