Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #46
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I've done some research into self-publishing. The problem is promotion. Bookstores like Barnes & Noble will not stock self-published authors. So, how do you sell your work? You can sell on Amazon, but how do you let people know you are there? You can send out postcards. You can do signings and readings if you can find a location. You can create your own Facebook page and website. There are a few websites that allow you to post and sell. Again, how to promote?

Self-publishing is not easy and it is not cheap. If you can get a traditional publisher to sign you, that is by far the best IMHO. Unfortunately, the number of books they select a year to publish is small in relation to the number of manuscripts they receive. So, self-publishing may be the only way to go to get started.

I am still trying the traditional publisher route, but there may come a time when I will have to try self-publishing.
My Dad did a lot of writing at his local BN, did a book signing there even and they did carry his books because they know him. He has focused on small book stores, basically getting recommendations from friends and family for book stores in their areas and contacting them. He has a blog and has done a lot of self-promotion through that, emails, etc. This is part of why I posted about offering your book for free or cheap on the e-book sites. It's an easy way for you to get your name out there. Ideally the traditional publisher is the way to go--but your book does have to get their attention too.

If self-publishing was an option 20 years ago-want to be JK Rowling would have gone that route .
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #47
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

If you are serious about becoming an authoer, the best piece of advice ever given to me that I will give to you, is to promote. Send it to everyone. SOMEONE will pick it up, if its good enough. They will hook you up with an editor to make it even better.

KEEP TRYING.

Find a yahoo crit site, or something similar and find people to crit your work. Self-pubbing as a beginner is VERY hard, and damn near impossible to make a profeit from. The marketing just isn't there. Once you've established a base, its much easier to self pub.

I've got a great link - let me find it.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #48
surfergirl602

Getting back to us writers.....

Do you have a writing goal?

Do you want to write 5 books in a year?
Just one?
Go on book tour?
Write a piece that earns you awatds?
Published in a wellknown magazine?
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #49
surfergirl602

Here is a great link to ponder for some inspiration: http://dearauthor.com/features/inter...th-maya-banks/

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #50
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

There are a couple of reasons I have been thinking that self publishing would be best for me. I plan on writing ebooks only. The genre I write (paranormal romance that's borderline erotica) tends to sell better in e format. My DH is a web designer, so I can get a great website for free . I can use a blog, Twitter, and Facebook to promote and offer my book for cheap when it is first available to hopefully boost sales. DH is also an artist and has already come up with a terrific cover for me. My sister is in college, an English major and is fantastic at editing so she is helping me with that. I am writing under a pen name and do not want my face associated with my books at all. Also the stuff I write is a popular genre now and self publishing could get my book out there quicker than going the traditional route. Am I way off base to be thinking this way? Those of you "in the know" will know better than me and I welcome any advice.

Personally I'm not looking to get rich or even make a living off my writing. I started out doing it just for me so the way I look at it if I sell a few copies I'm happy I'm not looking to win awards or anything like that just hopefully write a story that others might enjoy. To be serious I do hope that others find my book worthy of purchasing and it would be such a proud moment to have my book for sale.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #51
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
There are a couple of reasons I have been thinking that self publishing would be best for me. I plan on writing ebooks only. The genre I write (paranormal romance that's borderline erotica) tends to sell better in e format. My DH is a web designer, so I can get a great website for free . I can use a blog, Twitter, and Facebook to promote and offer my book for cheap when it is first available to hopefully boost sales. DH is also an artist and has already come up with a terrific cover for me. My sister is in college, an English major and is fantastic at editing so she is helping me with that. I am writing under a pen name and do not want my face associated with my books at all. Also the stuff I write is a popular genre now and self publishing could get my book out there quicker than going the traditional route. Am I way off base to be thinking this way? Those of you "in the know" will know better than me and I welcome any advice.

Personally I'm not looking to get rich or even make a living off my writing. I started out doing it just for me so the way I look at it if I sell a few copies I'm happy I'm not looking to win awards or anything like that just hopefully write a story that others might enjoy. To be serious I do hope that others find my book worthy of purchasing and it would be such a proud moment to have my book for sale.
Well, here are my reasons for going with a publisher. lol I'm not willing to give up or sell out quality for cash. I don't care how good you are ... you are BETTER with a professional behind you (at least the overwhelming majority are). Moreover, I don't want to get involved with the legal aspects, nor do I want to pay for the ISBN/AISN and other stuff the publisher covers. For my first few releases, I want THEM to handle the distribution. Right now my contract (still debating it) is for ebook and print. I get cover art by a professional. *swoon* Many people berate those that self-publish, and its silly really, with a "I'm better than you" mentality.

You can always try the self pub route, and if it doesn't work for you, you can always sub it! I'm not trying to get rich either, but why aspire for next door when you could possibly make Beverly Hills? lol

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #52
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Hey gang. Glad to see you all! I'm back at writing after taking a few weeks off for the big trip to Greece. I'm at 63,000+ words and the chapter I just finished kicked my butt hard. After such a lengthy break, it was hard to get back into a groove and stay motivated, especially when the spot I'd left off was a bit of a slower paced spot. But I got through it and I'm zooming along again.

As for the publishing route, just a reminder that you shouldn't be looking for a publisher. You are looking for a literary agent. THAT person will then shop your manuscript around to potential publishers. There are precious few publishers that will even look at an unrep'd manuscript.

Just about every literary agent has a website that outlines their submission guidelines for getting your work to them. Almost all are looking for a query letter (and this is the part of the submission process that kills me). Some will accept sample pages, and some will not. Some will not accept email queries and some only take email queries.

it's a jungle out there!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #53
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Hey gang. Glad to see you all! I'm back at writing after taking a few weeks off for the big trip to Greece. I'm at 63,000+ words and the chapter I just finished kicked my butt hard. After such a lengthy break, it was hard to get back into a groove and stay motivated, especially when the spot I'd left off was a bit of a slower paced spot. But I got through it and I'm zooming along again.

As for the publishing route, just a reminder that you shouldn't be looking for a publisher. You are looking for a literary agent. THAT person will then shop your manuscript around to potential publishers. There are precious few publishers that will even look at an unrep'd manuscript.

Just about every literary agent has a website that outlines their submission guidelines for getting your work to them. Almost all are looking for a query letter (and this is the part of the submission process that kills me). Some will accept sample pages, and some will not. Some will not accept email queries and some only take email queries.

it's a jungle out there!

This isn't exactly completely true. Every publisher that I've been in contact with has submission guidelines and an email address to send it to. Many of my published friends do not have an agent, and most of them have 10 to 12 books published already. They are assigned an editor, and it goes from there. Once they find one they mesh well with, they tend to stick with that person.

I don't have one. If I did, I'd probably send them my ms and let them sub it. I will probably explore that option before I push for a NY house (and if I do get a NY contract, my butt will find an agent before I sign it), but IMO to do regular small press / epub stuff you don't need one. You just need to read the contract, which tends to be simple. NY or big houses have so many clauses and legal things in there you really need a professional unless you want to take chances. Me, that's where I draw the line.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #54
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
This isn't exactly completely true. Every publisher that I've been in contact with has submission guidelines and an email address to send it to. Many of my published friends do not have an agent, and most of them have 10 to 12 books published already. They are assigned an editor, and it goes from there. Once they find one they mesh well with, they tend to stick with that person.

I don't have one. If I did, I'd probably send them my ms and let them sub it. I will probably explore that option before I push for a NY house (and if I do get a NY contract, my butt will find an agent before I sign it), but IMO to do regular small press / epub stuff you don't need one. You just need to read the contract, which tends to be simple. NY or big houses have so many clauses and legal things in there you really need a professional unless you want to take chances. Me, that's where I draw the line.
That's reason enough to go with an agent. Need someone to navigate the legal mumbo-jumbo and get you the best deal possible from the publishing houses. Many lit agents also handle publicity and management etc as well as things like film rights and merchandising etc.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #55
surfergirl602

Quote:
That's reason enough to go with an agent. Need someone to navigate the legal mumbo-jumbo and get you the best deal possible from the publishing houses. Many lit agents also handle publicity and management etc as well as things like film rights and merchandising etc.
Agents charge 15% on average, and no beginning author can seriously afford that, especially when most epubs are going for 3.00 or less. An agent really isn't needed until you're looking at big houses.

Anyway, moving on.... Best place to look is agentquery, which has a free searchable database. If you find one there you like, ALWAYS go to their websites and double check their guidelines and preferences. Something may have changed since AQ was last updated.

And don't forget about duotrope. Great place to find publishers. Also free and searchable.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #56
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Agents charge 15% on average, and no beginning author can seriously afford that, especially when most epubs are going for 3.00 or less. An agent really isn't needed until you're looking at big houses.

Anyway, moving on.... Best place to look is agentquery, which has a free searchable database. If you find one there you like, ALWAYS go to their websites and double check their guidelines and preferences. Something may have changed since AQ was last updated.

And don't forget about duotrope. Great place to find publishers. Also free and searchable.
LOVE agentquery...have also used querytracker. I'm not worried about percentage...I don't write for a living and really have no expectation of anything in particular. If I get pubbed some day, well that'd be nice, if not...well I had fun and my betas enjoyed reading my work.

Somebody asked upthread if I'd ever read something and thought "if THAT got published, then I could too." Sure! Twilight anyone? Eragon? Maximum Ride (how does James Patterson keep getting paid??).
Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #57
surfergirl602

Quote:
LOVE agentquery...have also used querytracker. I'm not worried about percentage...I don't write for a living and really have no expectation of anything in particular. If I get pubbed some day, well that'd be nice, if not...well I had fun and my betas enjoyed reading my work.

Somebody asked upthread if I'd ever read something and thought "if THAT got published, then I could too." Sure! Twilight anyone? Eragon? Maximum Ride (how does James Patterson keep getting paid??).

I am the one that wrote that.

Twilight is the perfect example. Why set your limits so low? If THAT can get published, and you feel your work is a heck of a lot better, then why not go for it? She's cashed in on fluff, there's no reason why we can't. lol

And Rob keeps getting paid because he's hot.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #58
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
I am the one that wrote that.

Twilight is the perfect example. Why set your limits so low? If THAT can get published, and you feel your work is a heck of a lot better, then why not go for it? She's cashed in on fluff, there's no reason why we can't. lol

And Rob keeps getting paid because he's hot.

Yeah...total heartthrob.

That's JAMES Patterson (author)...not Robert Pattinson.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #59
surfergirl602

Quote:

Yeah...total heartthrob.

That's JAMES Patterson (author)...not Robert Pattinson.
LMAO!!! I read twilight and immediately flicked on the ROB switch. I loved him in Remember Me. I didn't even finish reading what you wrote.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #60
Octoberbeauty
Always in our hearts and in our prayers
Out of the ashes... special memories to cherish forever

Hi everyone. I'm so glad to find this thread. I love to write, but haven't in a few years. I really want to get back into it. It's taken me a long time to decide exactly what genre I want to fall into. I finally realized that what I want to write doesn't exist (or I just haven't read it yet) and that I'm going to do it anyway! I want to write Christian Romantic Comedies.

As for me, I also love to write dialogue and hate to write (or read) lengthy descriptions. My inspiration comes from everywhere; dreams, movies, songs, snippets of conversation, etc.

I look forward to being a part of the DIS writing group!

Octoberbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: