Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #31
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
Since this thread has been quiet for some time I thought I would post just to see how everyone is doing.

So, how's the writing going?

For me, things have been good and I am at about 58,500 words! I have been reading and rereading what I have and making small changes and corrections. I still have days when I hate it all and days when I love it

I have also started outlines for a few other ideas for books that I have. It's very exciting and I'm really enjoying writing so much.

I'm curious about those of you who plan to have your books published. Will you self publish or go the traditional route?
Good for you! I must admit that I have been very lazy recently. We are to busy trying to prepare my daughter for her year in England. Once she leaves in September, I am putting myself on a deadline to finish a couple of different pieces.

I've started laying out plans for another piece. It will be an historical piece aimed at young adults. I've been doing the research and am pretty comfortable with the info I've gathered. Now, I need to decide how I'm going to do this. I've thought about doing it from a first person POV, but am not sure that will work the best. Still planning.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #32
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

WOOHOO!!! Glad I found this thread! I'm working through a contract for my first full length novel. Working on my edits right now for my publisher. Man, she's brutal. lol

Anyway, I write historical/medieval romance, and contemporary romance. My pub said my current WIP is bornderline erotica. (oh boy!)

I also freelance, crit, and read, A LOT. glad to meet you all!
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
surfergirl602

First question: Have y'all ever been reading something and think to yourself.... "If THIS can published... then I have no problems!" lol

Just wanted to share my author blog with you guys: http://www.melissamckinnon.wordpress.com

Ocassionaly I think of something brilliant - and I post it here. You can also find me on facebook: facebook.com/melissamackinnon602
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #34
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
WOOHOO!!! Glad I found this thread! I'm working through a contract for my first full length novel. Working on my edits right now for my publisher. Man, she's brutal. lol

Anyway, I write historical/medieval romance, and contemporary romance. My pub said my current WIP is bornderline erotica. (oh boy!)

I also freelance, crit, and read, A LOT. glad to meet you all!
Wow that is awesome good for you! It must be so exciting to have a publisher!!! Contemporary romance that's borderline erotica is right up my alley! I'd love to read your book when it's published!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
Desnik

Quote:
First question: Have y'all ever been reading something and think to yourself.... "If THIS can published... then I have no problems!" /
Absolutely!!! And sometimes I think there is no way anyone edited this book because so many times I read something that has so many spelling errors or paragraphs that make no sense to the story it just amazes me!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #36
surfergirl602

Quote:
Wow that is awesome good for you! It must be so exciting to have a publisher!!! Contemporary romance that's borderline erotica is right up my alley! I'd love to read your book when it's published!
I'll be sure to keep you updated. Need to get my edits done by August 15th. I am sooooo far behind.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #37
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

I don't write but my Dad just published a book. Anyway, I have been introduced to a lot of new authors through E-books. If you follow the "what are you reading" threads, you will see that others have as well. Offering your first book at a low price or free as an e-book might be a great way to get your name out there. I found one author that way-offered book one in a series of 8 free, I bought the rest of her books.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #38
surfergirl602

Quote:
Absolutely!!! And sometimes I think there is no way anyone edited this book because so many times I read something that has so many spelling errors or paragraphs that make no sense to the story it just amazes me!
YES!!! There have been times that I haven't even finished reading a book because of it. lol

And I grammatically fix everything in my head. LOL

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #39
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't write but my Dad just published a book. Anyway, I have been introduced to a lot of new authors through E-books. If you follow the "what are you reading" threads, you will see that others have as well. Offering your first book at a low price or free as an e-book might be a great way to get your name out there. I found one author that way-offered book one in a series of 8 free, I bought the rest of her books.
The price of your book is dictated by your publisher, as are promotions.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #40
golfgal
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
The price of your book is dictated by your publisher, as are promotions.
Not if you self publish...
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #41
surfergirl602

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not if you self publish...
True, but not the route for me.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
Desnik

That is what I am seriously leaning towrds, self publishing. I'd love to hear others thoughts on self publishing.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #43
surfergirl602

Quote:
That is what I am seriously leaning towrds, self publishing. I'd love to hear others thoughts on self publishing.
It's very hard to self-publish your very first, so you need to find some connections (via twiter or facebook) that have btdt.

I am friends with a few authors that have self-pubbed successfully on twitter - I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you out. 90% of my tweeps are published authors, feel free to pick their brains. (they love the attention.)

M_MacKinnon on twitter.

My Author Blog!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #44
golfgal
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
My Dad self-published. It was a lot of work, did most of his own editing, etc. He did both paper books and e-books and has done a few book signings. He is part of a writers club and has gotten help that way too. He used CreateSpace and also uploaded to both Amazon and Barnes/Noble.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #45
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
I've done some research into self-publishing. The problem is promotion. Bookstores like Barnes & Noble will not stock self-published authors. So, how do you sell your work? You can sell on Amazon, but how do you let people know you are there? You can send out postcards. You can do signings and readings if you can find a location. You can create your own Facebook page and website. There are a few websites that allow you to post and sell. Again, how to promote?

Self-publishing is not easy and it is not cheap. If you can get a traditional publisher to sign you, that is by far the best IMHO. Unfortunately, the number of books they select a year to publish is small in relation to the number of manuscripts they receive. So, self-publishing may be the only way to go to get started.

I am still trying the traditional publisher route, but there may come a time when I will have to try self-publishing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: