Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Add my name to the roll as well. I've been doing NaNoWriMo, but I haven't polished any of those up enough to submit. I have submitted short works for contests and the like, but not anything recently.

I'll confess that the vast majority of my "writing" is on various and sundry forums, although I do maintain a hobby blog (not connected to writing, however).

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Thank you for the input! I was afraid that kids might not get some of the references and that some of the vocabulary might be over the heads of a younger audience.

You've inspired me. I will try to finish it...preferably before Halloween!
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Where do you guys get your inspiration from? I find that many of my ideas come to me on long car rides, in the shower and while mucking out the barn with my ipod on. Music is a really great (pardon the corny turn of phrase) muse. I'll hear a song and the tone will be just right for some scene I want to play out. Then it runs through my head like I'm watching a movie with the song as the soundtrack.

I never right characters based on people I know, though I usually have an image in my head of who would play each one if my book were a movie. Sometimes I'll see an actor/actress and think they'd fit right in with my little cast of characters and I might make a place for them in the story.

I wish I could outline better. I'm TERRIBLE at continuity! I'm always fudging dates, and places. I'm a bit disorganized with that. I think it's because I work "organically". The story evolves as I write. I know where I started and I know where it will end, but how my characters get from start to finish is totally an unknown and things just happen as I write them. But that often means plot holes that need filling and "oops, didn't you say that character A said that, not B?"

I think that's why I like editing best. Polish till it glows (and hurts!).
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
My DD, the movie star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Where do you guys get your inspiration from? I find that many of my ideas come to me on long car rides, in the shower and while mucking out the barn with my ipod on. Music is a really great (pardon the corny turn of phrase) muse. I'll hear a song and the tone will be just right for some scene I want to play out. Then it runs through my head like I'm watching a movie with the song as the soundtrack.

I never right characters based on people I know, though I usually have an image in my head of who would play each one if my book were a movie. Sometimes I'll see an actor/actress and think they'd fit right in with my little cast of characters and I might make a place for them in the story.

I wish I could outline better. I'm TERRIBLE at continuity! I'm always fudging dates, and places. I'm a bit disorganized with that. I think it's because I work "organically". The story evolves as I write. I know where I started and I know where it will end, but how my characters get from start to finish is totally an unknown and things just happen as I write them. But that often means plot holes that need filling and "oops, didn't you say that character A said that, not B?"

I think that's why I like editing best. Polish till it glows (and hurts!).
My inspirations come to me out of the blue. I have a small notebook where I write down my ideas. Because I like to write books for children, the ideas don't have to be large. For instance, I got an idea about a story of a sapling the other day while working in my yard. Go figure!

I do not plan my stories in advance. I have a general idea of where I want them to go, but I let them evolve on their own. I asked several published authors about this at my last writer's conference. It was a mixed bag. Some are adament that a detailed story arch be developed prior to beginning to write. Others do it the way we do.

I had an interesting discussion about this with Alex Flinn. She is the author of "Beastly" which will come out as a movie soon through Disney. She writes like I do. She has a general idea and lets the dialogue take her there.

In my novel, I write the dialogue first and, for the most part, fill in the description after the fact. I don't worry about using exactly the right words when I do my first draft. After the fact, I change words out to make things more interesting. Initially, I just want to get the idea down.

To me, writing is like watching a movie in my head. I just translate it to paper.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
My DD, the movie star

Quote:
Okay writers...who's doing some writing this weekend? DH is taking me to a matinee of X-Men: First Class, which should help rev up my writing mojo (my series is about superheroes), and then when we get home I've got my sights set on hitting the 60K mark this weekend. I just hit 53K yesterday.

I've been told (and I've noticed) that my style is fairly dialogue heavy, but when I am reading other works I find that that is the type of book I tend to enjoy most. When I hit a part in a novel where the prose turns purple, or there is a lot of navel gazing I tend to "fast forward" to where something is actually happening or characters are interacting. It's my short attention span.

For example, I was indulging a guilty pleasure and reading Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series #10 yesterday, and throughout ALL of her books I have found I could skip entire pages at a time where she is describing the same thing over and over in every book. Sookie waking up, making coffee, getting dressed, doing household chores, putting on makeup, running to the store. All these things that add word count but do nothing to move the story forward.

My father, OTOH LOVES long descriptions. Loves to really have the writer immerse him in every detail of the character's life and surroundings.

So yeah...my stuff tends to bit more dialogue and action heavy.

What kind of writer are you?
I am like you. I prefer dialogue and action. I do not care for books with pages of descriptive passages. For instance, I would rather die than try to get through a Mitchener novel. How anyone can devote pages to the description of a single flower is beyond me.

I want to get a feel for the setting, but I don't need every detail. Give me the essentials to set the mood and let me move on.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #21
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

My inspiration comes from all sorts of things. Music, places I've been, things I see while driving in my car, dreams. I always carry something to write with incase something pops into my head.

My characters do have some similarities to people I know. I don't envision them as any particular actor. It's more bits and pieces of people I know and whatever I think up.

I see the scenes in my head and then write them. It's always out of order and then I join them together to fit the story. Sometimes I can sit and write and the story just evolves. I thought I knew the outcome for my two main characters but it changed. It's almost like they were speaking to me and didn't want me to go in a particular direction with their story!
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
Big Cuddly Bear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I am like you. I prefer dialogue and action. I do not care for books with pages of descriptive passages. For instance, I would rather die than try to get through a Mitchener novel. How anyone can devote pages to the description of a single flower is beyond me.

I want to get a feel for the setting, but I don't need every detail. Give me the essentials to set the mood and let me move on.

I never read one, but I have one I bought used called Caribbean... If it is like that, I probably won't finish.
Big Cuddly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #23
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

I tend to be most inspired when I have spent time with creative people. Sometimes it is places of natural beauty or a song that inspires me too. Yet I can't overlook the times when my imagination has been sparked just hanging out at a coffee shop and observing patrons come and go.
Zippa D Doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Made it to 56K last night!

Feralpeg you SO have to finish that Halloween one. It's just too awesome to ignore!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

I'm in! I work at home full time as a travel writer. My speciality? Disney vacations.

I write for all sorts of online web content sites. I am also writing a book on my experiences in travel, both solo trips and with my hubby.

I write on whatever inspires me. Right now, it's travel and just life in general.

Anna
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

57K! Didn't hit my goal of 60K but it's all right. I DID finish a long chapter that I really wanted to get to. It's a pretty big turning point in the story and now that it's "on paper" I am jazzed to push forward.

In fact, I was up all night (stupid dog pooped on the bedroom rug and I couldn't fall back asleep) and I just lay there mulling over my whole story when the ending came to me in a big "ton-of-bricks" kind of way. Can't wait to get there!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #27
Desnik

Quote:
57K! Didn't hit my goal of 60K but it's all right. I DID finish a long chapter that I really wanted to get to. It's a pretty big turning point in the story and now that it's "on paper" I am jazzed to push forward.

In fact, I was up all night (stupid dog pooped on the bedroom rug and I couldn't fall back asleep) and I just lay there mulling over my whole story when the ending came to me in a big "ton-of-bricks" kind of way. Can't wait to get there!
That's fantastic, good for you!!!

For me I couldn't get any writting done this weekend, too much stuff going on. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to devote some time to my story.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
RainbowBrite
Mouseketeer

Count me in! I've been writing for as long as I can remember. Nothing published but I have notebooks full of stories I started writing then never finished. Lately I've noticed my inspiration comes to me in dreams. I've actually started to dream entire plots of books. I had a dream the other night that I think I could make into a short story, so we'll see. It's a thriller which isn't my usual style but I really feel I need to write it.

Like many of you, I have never been much for description. I notice my books tend to lean more heavily on the main character's thoughts.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #29
Desnik

Since this thread has been quiet for some time I thought I would post just to see how everyone is doing.

So, how's the writing going?

For me, things have been good and I am at about 58,500 words! I have been reading and rereading what I have and making small changes and corrections. I still have days when I hate it all and days when I love it

I have also started outlines for a few other ideas for books that I have. It's very exciting and I'm really enjoying writing so much.

I'm curious about those of you who plan to have your books published. Will you self publish or go the traditional route?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #30
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

Count me in, too!

I've done a few freelance pieces, and am working on a piece of non-fiction right now, aiming to be done in October.
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: