Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Touring plan for Typhoon Lagoon

I will be taking DD8 and DD5 to TL the first week in November (weather permitting). We are planning to be there at opening and I am wondering if there is an ideal way to do the attractions, or if it's just personal preference.

I know we want to do the shark reef and the Crush 'n Gusher, the body slides, the raft ride, and the lazy river. We will not do Humunga Cowabunga. I also would kind of like to start slow as far as the slides go, to ease my 5 yo into it, but I'm not sure which slides would be the easiest. (I was thinking CnG since she could ride with me?)

Advice is much appreciated.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
ajcolorado
lots of pokey crumbs in my cleavage
I’m a mini-van mom

Are you a Tour Guide Mike (TGM) member? My subscription is not currently active but I do believe he had recommendations for touring the water parks. TouringPlans.com also has touring plans for the water parks. I think TGM is about $21 and TouringPlans is about $11 - both are excellent and well worth the money.
ajcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
wdw&sonny
DIS Veteran

The family raft ride is pretty tame and nice that all 3 of you (plus others) can ride together. Might be a good way to start and see how your 5yo does. Crush n gusher is a water coaster and a bit separated from many of the other attractions. I think just 2 go togther, so 1 of you would ride solo.

Other tube rides, Kehaul Falls, Mayday Falls, have 2 person and 1 person tubes.
wdw&sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
stevenpensacola
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...
I'm 43, married, with three kids, and I watch SpongeBob SquarePants
Someone has to die to get me to wear a tie

To be honest...your kids may find most of the slides at TL boring. The family raft ride is really a joke of a ride...the ride is very short, and moves very slow...got to remember that TL is a very old water park by today's standards...Most of the slides are short, slow, and rough as they are concrete coated with some sort of paint/coating. They are not the modern fiberglass slides found in a modern park.

There is a pretty nice "kiddy" area, but your youngest may be too old for that...depends on how brave they are...but would be a good starting point.

I think if it weren't for Crush N Gusher, TL would have a hard time staying open.

It is a very pretty park, but that's part of the parks problem...many of the old, out of date, coated concrete water slides are built into the landscaping, so there is no way to economically update them...so installing CnG was kind of a stop-gap measure to try and keep the park relevant.

Now, many will disagree with me...but anyone who has been to a modern water park has to agree with what I've said about the slides. So flame away...but the rides at TL just do not compare to what can be found at Six Flags Whitewater (Atlanta), the Busch Gardens Williamsburg water park...or even Big Kahuna's in Destin. They're from another era.
stevenpensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Crush N Gusher is a 48" height requirement, as is Humunga Cowabunga. Our DD was 47.5" and was not let on last October when she was 7. So, there's a good chance, unless your 5 year-old is really tall, she won't be going on those anyways.

I disagree immensensely with StevenPensacola that TL is boring. Yeah, the slides at BB are bigger, faster, and better, but the TL slides are far superior to most water parks. The wave pool is amazing. Since you are going in November (like us) the point is irrelevant, since BB will be closed for refurb.

We went there mid-October last year, and the crowds weren't bad at all. We tour like this:

0) If you want a locker, get there at least 20 minutes before opening to rent a locker and put your valuables in it. Be ready for rope drop. (It'll look super crowded at this stage, but once people spread through the park, you'll be fine.)

1) Get a good, shady spot as a base with a few chairs, placing your towels and bags. Our spot is to the left of the main wave pool (Left as you are entering the park) where there is a small cove and two small water slides (which aren't on the map). Alternately if you think your kids would prefer Ketchakiddie Creek - stake a spot there.

2) Leave your stuff and travel clockwise. Hit the raft rides, can't remember all the names, Keelhaul falls. there are 3 - hit the family one first as this is the one with the worst line. (Holds 3 or 4 per raft.) These are also the mildest of the big slides.

3) Continue clockwise behind the wave pool. Travel to the storm slides. These are the 3 body slides, and are wilder than the raft slides, but not bad. If someone in the group wants to try Humunga Cowabunga, now is the time.

3A) If someone in your group is super duper eager to do the Shark Reef, you can do it now, but I would wait.

4) Hop in the lazy river and float back to the front of the park. Get out and ride Crush N Gusher.

5) You've hit all the slides...now enjoy the wave pool, lazy river,Shark Reef and ketchakiddie creek. My advice, tag team with the kids, one parent relaxes while the other watches/plays. This is good park to relax (the surf music playing constantly helps).

6) Do NOT miss out on the fresh fried Donuts with Chocolate Dipping sauce...sold near the front entrance. These are one of the best treats in WDW. (In our family top 3!)

So, when we went in April 2010 and October 2010 we did this (or similar) and hit all the slides with no wait. I did one of the raft rides at about noon, and the wait was still under 10 minutes. In both those cases it was off-peak and there were both parks open, I don't know whether the crowds will be bigger in November with BB closed, however, I suspect no locals will be going to the waterparks in November and they will be pretty darn empty. If you hit all the slides you want before noon, then you will be good.

(Final Note: Understand that since you have kids - they will see the wave pool and want to go to it immediately. Rationalizing about wait times may be completely unsuccessful.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Thank you, Skier_Pete! That was exactly what I was looking for. I am definitely hoping the locals won't be a tough as we northerners in the fall. Will the lines at the shark reef stay pretty reasonable? I thought I read somewhere that you should go there first because it gets crowded. I would prefer to do the slides first, so I like your plan.

If the rides are tame, that is exactly what will work for us. Both my kids are waterslide chickens and I am trying to ease them into the game. I didn't realize they had to be that tall for Crush 'n Gusher, though. My DD5 is pretty tall, but not that tall. Is it that tall to ride alone or at all?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

P.S. Where do we get the donuts? They sound heavenly?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
Thank you, Skier_Pete! That was exactly what I was looking for. I am definitely hoping the locals won't be a tough as we northerners in the fall. Will the lines at the shark reef stay pretty reasonable? I thought I read somewhere that you should go there first because it gets crowded. I would prefer to do the slides first, so I like your plan.

If the rides are tame, that is exactly what will work for us. Both my kids are waterslide chickens and I am trying to ease them into the game. I didn't realize they had to be that tall for Crush 'n Gusher, though. My DD5 is pretty tall, but not that tall. Is it that tall to ride alone or at all?
Yeah, it's ride at all...our DD7 was 47.5 inches last fall, and they wouldn't let her on either Humunga Cowabunga or Crush n Gusher.

We've never seen the rides at the Shark Reef more than about 10 minutes, whereas I've seen crush n gusher get to 30-40 minutes. I would recommend hitting the slides first if you can. Shark Reef can wait a while unless the park is REALLY crowded. (Also, the water is much colder than the rest of the park...so you are better off going there when it is hotter in the day.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
P.S. Where do we get the donuts? They sound heavenly?
The donut stand is right on the left as you enter the main part of the park, not too far from where the lockers are (the lockers are on the right). They are GREAT. (They won't let you use a snack credit for them though if you are on the DDP.) I'm sure if you ask around, the CM will know where it is.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: