Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
love2disney
DIS Veteran

Weight loss surgery

Has anyone here had it? Would you recommend it? My sister wants to do it. She has a BMI of 42 with diabetes. She wants to have gastric sleeve.

Any opinions appreciated?
love2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2disney View Post
Has anyone here had it? Would you recommend it? My sister wants to do it. She has a BMI of 42 with diabetes. She wants to have gastric sleeve.

My best friend just had surgery in February (bypass) and is down 68 lbs already. She looks amazing but she really only eats a small selection of food that is allowed - no more alcohol either - and TMI ALERT - has very bad bowel movements and often throws up during meals. It truly was a life altering surgery. I know she's happy with the results, but it's been a long 3 months for her.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Out of the group of 5 of us at work (we take breaks and lunch together) 2 have had the sleeve, one had GB and I'm just chubby and the other one isn't.

Of the sleeve ladies (one had hers in May '13), one has lost 91 lbs. The other had hers in April of this year and has def lost weight (she hasn't said how much and I won't ask). The former really is careful with what she eats and I never hear her complain she got sick or doesn't feel good....the latter, not so much but she is getting better.
The GB one is a pain...I get tired of hearing "I really shouldn't eat this but I'm going to anyway" and "I'm gonna be so sick after I eat this" blah blah. She had her surgery 3 or 4 yrs ago and has kept the weight off.

I would like to have it done but I think I have other complications where I won't be able to.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
love2disney
DIS Veteran

So it definitely works? Anyone with first hand experience?
love2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

With a BMI that high, yes, she should have the surgery. The issues are: can she stick the different way she will have to eat? One can actually gain weight after weight loss surgery if they still eat junk food.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Goofydiane
DIS Veteran

Something that needs to be asked, answered, asked again, answered again and the person needs to be serious about their answer....Are they ready to put down the food and follow a food plan. Eating protein first, no alcohol, giving up pop, truly watching labels and pay attention to what you are eating. Learning to be satisfied on a few bites to start out with. And getting out of a chair and exercising daily.

Any weight loss surgery is only a tool for the person to work towards a healthy lifestyle only if they are willing to make the changes in their life. I have heard it said that the surgery is the easy part and life after surgery is the hard part. I agree with that 100%. Surgery will fix your stomach, but it does nothing to fix your head and the thoughts of wanting to eat.

It is a personal decision, that needs to be researched thoroughly prior to making a decision. All of us on the board can provide our thoughts and opinions, and that will include stories from people who have had surgery, including me. I had surgery on March 24 and have yet to experience any issues. Now I'm following my doctors directions in addition to the nutritionists directions which cover what food to eat, when to take the vitamins and exercising every day. Will I be able to do it every day? I'm not sure, but I only have to worry about doing it today and address tomorrow, tomorrow.

Just my .02 on the subject.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

Um yeah. You have to follow the basic rules and not drink milkshakes everyday. Kind if a given

I know a handful of people who had he sleeve and all are doing great. None of them vomit. 1 lapband friend is having hers removed due to a port problem. One is doing great. But they both puke all the time but say it isn't like puking.

All have lost a lot and are keeping it off. The lb friends are about 7 hears out give or take. The sleeve friends have been over the last 5 years.

I'm not big in surgery but I've seen awesome results with these and would definitely look further into them.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
So it definitely works? Anyone with first hand experience?
No, it does not definitely work. You can put weight back on even with weight loss surgery. Has your friend attempted weight loss before? If so, why did they fail? You have to follow a VERY strict diet with the surgery. Your friend will also most likely be put on a diet before being allowed surgery to make sure she can stick with it.

There can be complications. You can get very VERY ill if you don't follow the diet correctly. You can even die. It comes down to if the dangers of surgery are less then the dangers of doing weight loss the old fashioned way.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
No, it does not definitely work. You can put weight back on even with weight loss surgery. Has your friend attempted weight loss before? If so, why did they fail? You have to follow a VERY strict diet with the surgery. Your friend will also most likely be put on a diet before being allowed surgery to make sure she can stick with it.

There can be complications. You can get very VERY ill if you don't follow the diet correctly. You can even die. It comes down to if the dangers of surgery are less then the dangers of doing weight loss the old fashioned way.
I am a RN who gets to see the complications. Not pretty. I also get to see patients come back to have surgery to have excess skin removed after they have lost 100 lbs or more. It is such a big life changer. You have to really know and accept what you are getting yourself into when you choose bariatric surgery.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

This is just a small warning for weight loss and diabetes. Before she begins the process for weight loss surgery or other weight loss methods, she needs to get into the habit of testing her blood glucose frequently and knows how to treat hypoglycemia. Weight loss, even as small as five pounds, can increase insulin sensitivity. As a result, the risks of hypoglycemia -low blood glucose- also increase until medication/insulin dosages are adjusted.
acebatonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I do know people that have had surgeries and gained back their weight because they did not stick to dieting.

Another person I know who wanted the surgery was required to lose some weight prior to getting the surgery and did not so she was not allowed to get the surgery.

Also I do know of someone who my mother knew who had the surgery and ate food she was not supposed to and she died as a result. This was before they did careful screening of people.

It can be very successful however it does alter your life. I do wish your sister well.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Wanderlust
Earning My Ears

I'm almost 2 years out with the sleeve. Best decisions I could have made for me and I'm extremely happy with my decision. That said, it's not for everyone and you need to do your research. While my BMI was not extremely high (36), I had multiple comorbidities and an endocrine disorder that made it difficult to lose weight and keep it off. Increasing health issues secured my decision and my main goal was not weight loss but to get off my meds which I did successfully within in months of my surgery.

It's not an easy way out, it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. It's a total lifestyle change, not just diet and you need to be committed to it for life. That said, I followed a fairly strict diet pre surgery for years due to my endocrine disorder and it was still hard. Portion sizes have been the most difficult for me. I haven't had any issues. The only I have problems eating now are spicy foods (gives me heartburn) and I no longer crave sweets (total win). I also joined a gym (instead of exercising on my own) and see a trainer weekly. It doesn't mean you can't ever have a treat or anything but it's like anything...make smart decisions. Weight can come back on if you choose not follow with a healthy eating plan and exercise.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just had the bypass surgery end of February this year and have lost 60 lbs so far. It's an adjustment but I'm getting used to the portion sizes, etc.

The things to look out for are:

Sugar - very little or you have dumping issues. This only happened once for me.

Caffine (sp?) - no issue with me. I drink regular coffee but only have maybe 2 cups a day.

Wine - Yes I've had wine. A glass does not bother me and I've even had 2 in one evening. I haven't had any hard liquor but I never drank it anyway. The procedure does not forbid you to not drink, just that you need to be careful as the alchol gets into your bloodstream quicker than before and because its very caloric, you should be frugal with how often you do drink.

Meats - I can only tolerate 2 - 3 bites of chicken, beef and fish. After, I am full.

Fats - minimize as much as possible. This will cause gastric issues.

Fried foods - I was never a fried food eater (except french fries on occasion). I have had these since the surgery but only 2 - 3 in a sitting.

Vegtables - Gassy vegtables like brussel sprouts, broccholi and beans. This causes me issues, so I just avoid them. So far the other vegtables I've eaten are fine.

One thing that I do know, is that the old saying, "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach" is absolutely true at this stage. Take you time eating and pay attention to when your full. The throwing up is, a lot of times, due to the fact someone eats too quickly or eats too much. This has only happened to me twice.

Weight loss surgery is a tool - NOT A CURE. When I went for my last appointment a month ago, they basically opened up the menu to almost anything except for those things mentioned above.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

My sister had gastric bypass 7 years ago. She stuck to the rules laid out by the dr and lost 160 lbs. She is careful on what she eats. At family functions, we make sure to have a sugar free desert so she doesn't feel left out.

She looks fabulous now and is so much happier. My nephew was 2 when she had it and doesn't remember her being fat.

It wasn't an easy fix for her, she had tried many diets and failed. She said the change in her appetite and what she can eat has been a big help to her.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
*pixie*dust*
DIS Veteran

My dear friend's mother had WL surgery and, as a complication of the surgery, ended up in a coma for malnutrition and nearly died. She survived, but lost her eye sight. Now she is legally blind and disabled as a result.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: