Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
GailT
I'm ba-ack!!!!
I'm so bad I'm good
Loves pea soup

Grand Floridian

For the people that have stayed in a room with theme park view what do you see when looking out your door/window? Just curious if it is worth if or is the garden view just has nice? Thanks for the help
Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

It all depends on what room they put you in and what level you are at. For instance, on our honeymoon, my wife and I had a great view of the marina and the castle straight ahead from a club level room in the main building.
We had friends who stayed a year later with a "theme park view" and had a view of the bay and part of space mountain.
Sadly, TPV does not always mean a castle view.
We are going back in 21 days and I am really hoping for a good castle view from one of the outer buildings.
Sparrow624 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
sjaakie
DIS Veteran

If i was you I would use Google Earth and you can really walk through the resort,look around and see what buildings have theme park view.
sjaakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
baler31
DIS Veteran

I have stayed in RPC (main building) in theme park view and standard and I personally don't think the view alone at GF is worth the extra $$$. I would much prefer to pay for club level over view, now at the Contemporary we will pay for theme park view every time but I like being close to the park rather than a distant view.
baler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Disney Fool

The name says it all

I think the garden views are just as nice, IMHO. The GF has lovely grounds, very well cared for. Unless you plan to sit in your room with the curtains open every evening and watch the castle, garden views are a very good choice. you can get a couple of great shots of the castle on GF property, right outside Gasparilla's, and at the boat dock. Theme park view is great, but if you're trying to make a $$$ choice, go with the garden, and be happy you chose the GF!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Whenever asked about the worth of a TPV room, I usually give the same response. If you are going for your first trip, or the first in a long while, and have young children, a TPV room is wonderful. Having the curtains open at night, and being able to see the castle change colors is so magical.

On the other hand, if you have been many times and won't spend a lot of time in the room, I would go with garden view. There are so few bad views at the GF, you are not likely to get one, and the majority of garden view rooms have a very pretty view of the courtyard or marina. There are rooms on the back side of Sago Cay that overlook a grassy, landscaped area with the monorail - that is a lot of fun for kids as well.

Regarding the TPV rooms: I know the official position is that you are paying for "Theme Park View" - not "Castle View" - but if you get a room that does not have at least a sideways view of the castle, I would politely ask to be moved. You may have to wait until the next day, but usually, they will accommodate a move request. Those rooms are sooo expensive, it's a shame for anyone to be unhappy with the view.

Good luck, and have a Grand vacation.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
britfish
DIS Veteran

will the RPC theme park view room guarantee a castle view?
britfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

We went last Sept and booked a garden view room. Honestly, it didn't matter to me what building we were in because from what everyone on the GF thread said, it was just gorgeous. And you know what ? they're right. It's SPECTACULAR.

that being said, we were sooooooo very lucky to have gotten an upgrade when we checked in. They put us in Big Pine Key with a view of the Castle. It was AMAZING. Our first night we watched the electric water parade and the fireworks from our balcony. When we stepped out on our balcony, straight ahead was the little island in 7 Seas Lagoon, past that was the Contemporary.... to the left was MK and to the right was the Poly. It was truly magnificent. I sat out there every day and read while our DD4 had her nap. At night, I'd sneak out on the balcony about 3-4 am and watch them putting the Christmas lights on the castle. It was magical... by 5 am, all the colors that were lit for the Christmas lights were turned off and it was all back to normal. It was like me and the Castle had a little secret. (although one night I did wake my DD to see it... it was so beautiful).

Now, as gorgeous as it was, I doubt we'd select a theme park view and pay the extra $$ for that. Because truly, you can sit on the beach and watch the parade and fireworks or down by Narcoosee's. There's really no where at the GF that you're going to get a bad view, and you're certainly not going to get an ugly view for sure. When we go in 2013, we're going to request a garden view again. I put our room selection in Disney's hands..... where ever we are, it's going to be at the Grand and it's going to be wonderful.

We debated going to the YC for our next trip....but the hubs said no....he's hooked on the GF !! You're going to have SUCH a magical time there !!!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baler31 View Post
I have stayed in RPC (main building) in theme park view and standard and I personally don't think the view alone at GF is worth the extra $$$. I would much prefer to pay for club level over view.
I agree. It's too far away to be impressive enough to pay for it.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: