Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #376
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Marrakesh and the old sit down restaurant in Japan. Marrakesh was just so so and the Japanese restaurant left us longing for the one back home. At that time, we got the feeling that the people running it were far superior to the rest of us, plus food was sub par to other WDW restaurants.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #377
solobel
Earning My Ears

Cinderella's Royal Table by far. 2TS credits for that pitiful breakfast is highway robbery. I can't even imagine people paying OOP for that garbage.

Read my first ever PTR- A Short and Sweet PTR!!

solobel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #378
Doofenshmirtz513
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKollector View Post
I have a question for the diners who have been unhappy.

First is a general question. Are you still supposed to tip 18% at the buffets when the servers don't do much?

If you have bad service, either at a buffet or served meal, do let that reflect on the tip or do you tip the standard anyways?

If I am out somewhere and the food is bad, I will tell the manager but not take it out on the wait staff. If I get horrid service, I let them know via my tip. If I have outstanding service, I let them know via tip. I have tipped $12 on a $28 bill and $10 on a $50 meal.

I would like to know what diners do at Disney. Please.
Here's my take:

Q1) If the server did a really good job with prompt drinks, efficient plate clearing, and a friendly attitude, I will still tip well.

Q2/3) With bad service, we try to differentiate between what may be the server's fault and someone else's fault based on our experiences waiting tables. Not refilling drinks, bringing requested items promptly, or addressing concerns is the server's problem. Bad tasting food is not, as you note. Generally, the best way to get a problem addressed is to talk to the manager, whether bad food or bad service. If your service was so bad that you are leaving a bad tip, talk to a manager about it, just as you would if the food was bad - the manager should be concerned with the total experience.

I've never sought a manager out at Disney for bad service, but I would be willing to if it seemed necessary. I have sought one out for good service, though. We try to do good things for the good servers we encounter.
Doofenshmirtz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #379
Mason's Mom
Mouseketeer

I have 2 that are really close.

Chef Mickey's....the food was super bad! We will never go back!

Wolf Gang Puck The Cafe.....My dinner was right out of the fridge. It was so cold. They only things good I have to say about WGP was the carrot cake and the artichoke dip we got as an app.
Pop Sept 10-15 2011 Free Dining
CSR Sept 24-29 2010 Free Dining
All Star Movies Sept 12-18 2009 Free Dining
All Star Music Sept 20-26 2008 Free Dining
Pop Feb 2007 Free Dining
ME DH DS
Mason's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #380
Boo :)
Oh, so they have the Internet on computers now!

Hollywood and Vine
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #381
nejjie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo :) View Post
Hollywood and Vine
2nd this one.. it was the worst meal
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #382
Disneynut5
Mouseketeer

WOW! I am so surprised at these answers! We did deluxe dining in Spet 09 and did not have one bad meal. We had like 18 reservations and only missed one - Chef Mickey's.

I guess the "worst" meal we had was 1900 Park Fare but I would do that again because my kids loved it and laughed so hard at the step sisters!

I love WDW dining!
December 2011 - POR
Disneynut5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #383
jenandkam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCollette View Post
And why?

for us Hollywood and Vine (nuff said)
I second this. We had the lunch buffet at Hollywood and Vine when JoJo's Circus were the characters (it's been awhile - not sure who is there now), but the food was atrocious. Absolutely horrible.... I wasn't expecting a character buffet in an amusement park to have gourmet food, but this was barely edible. Whew - glad I got that off my chest!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #384
speakerchad
Earning My Ears

Its been mentioned several times, but I'll add one more for ABC Commissary as having the worst food, hands down. Other than that, I haven't really had any bad meals that I can recall.

I'm surprised and not surprised about the reactions to Marakesh. When my DW and I first ate there it was extremely good. We weren't even sure what we ordered for an appetizer (it was a sampler); all I know is we ate every last bit of it. You have to be a bit more open to new things. The last time we ate there, my parents were with us. Big mistake. They just weren't willing to try anything and ended up splitting something they didn't enjoy.

Again, California Grill. Same thing. The menu is a bit esoteric, but the food, atmosphere and service were excellent. We ate there 2 years ago and we had a semi-private room with a few other tables. Nice and quiet and before dessert came, the waiter made sure we new that the MK fireworks were about to go off and he would just hold stuff until we came back.

We also tend to skip the character buffets, although we have done several of them at one point or another. The food is usually not that great but you go for the characters. Walked by 1900 once and the place looked like a nightmare; won't ever go near it again.

Another key to decent meals: if a particular restaurant specializes in sushi, don't order the steak. It probably won't be what you are expecting.

speakerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #385
FloridaDreaming
Mouseketeer

So, it looks like every WDW restaurant has been listed here as someone's regret!

I don't have any WDW dining regrets. It's a harsh word, I think, for a first timer to a restaurant to regret it. It's a learning experience. If you eat somewhere, don't like it and return there then, sure, regret it!

Restaurants that I'm not in a hurry to get back to...
Tony's. It was okay. Nothing fabulous.
Big River Grille. None of the food had any flavor to us.
Chefs de France. This is completely my fault because I don't care for ham and cheese sandwiches or french onion soup anywhere else so why would I have felt differently about it there?!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #386
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

I've honestly never regretted eating anywhere at WDW. Some meals are better than others but never bad. Of course we always purchase a dining plan so that may make a difference.
dansyr2514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #387
deschneider
Earning My Ears

DH and DS3 had a terrible experience at the Coral Reef two years ago. Service was very slow. They had to leave before they could eat.

I also regret taking DS6, DS3, and DS3 to Sanaa. The adults enjoyed the food, but it is not a place a for 3 little boys. We spent the whole meal trying to control our kids
Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #388
notsosnowwhite
Mouseketeer

Crystal Palace dinner. We've tried it three times over the years and have never left feeling remotely good about the experience. We didn't enjoy the character interaction and although the food looked appetizing, we felt most things had strange flavors / after tastes. We also have not been happy with the layout / service of the restaurant. Never a good experience.

notsosnowwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #389
FortWildernessLoopy
WDW Vet since birth

Akershus Royal banquet Hall (well before character dining). OMG.... eeeeewwwww. The entire buffet was just disgusting. My cousin wanted to go there on a whim one day so i didn't do any research on it. I ended up trying to choke down a salad and I think some dessert. I'm sure (I hope) it's gotten better in the last 13 years but danged if I'm willing to spend any money to find out :D
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #390
dazednconfused
DIS Veteran

ABC Commissary and Garden Grill.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: