Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

So Mater is the star of Cars2?

I don't think I can stomach that much Mater.

I also hear the plot is fairly imcomprehensible for kids.

Anyone see it yet?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

I have.

Mater isn't so much the "star" as he has a significant subplot. The story is still about a world-wide grande prix type race that Lightning McQueen is trying to win for the gang back home, but there's a whole "spy vs. spy" subplot that's really pretty entertaining.

The kids I was with (ages 5 and 9) had no trouble figuring out what was going on. As is normal for Pixar films, there were jokes that went over their heads and were aimed more at older kids or adults, but for the most part, it was totally kid-friendly. And the film really uses the 3-D technology to its advantage. There are some very striking race scenes, and some of the "scenery" is spectacular.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

It doesn't bother me, but you might want to put a spolier warning in the title so if someone doesn't want to know what it is about they won't open the thread.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
lucas
°o°

I can't take too much of Tow Mater, either.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

I LOVE Tow Mater
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Florida Dreamin'
Mouseketeer

If he is, I would think it's a good thing. He adds the much needed humor to the movies.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

250+ WDW Day Trips | 5 Disney Cruises | Disney Dream & Fantasy Pre- Inaugural
Florida Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
andrews_dad
DIS Veteran

Scary? My 3 year old was nearly needed a trauma counselor after seeing some of the end sequnce of TS3. And Big Baby .. wow. It was like a horror movie for him.
And that was a rental in the safety of our home. He is a Cars FREAK, but I see explosions in teh ads. Any death or big time scary things going on? To gauge we can't do Bruce in Nemo, we can't do TS3 once Lotso gets mean in Sunnyside, we can't do Incredibles when it gets action-packed, we can't do stampede in Lion King or when scar gets nasty, we can't do Beauty and Beast... you get the idea. Diz films are mostly pretty violent when you think of it. Cars is one of the few with a very safe story line for easily spooked young kids....
andrews_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Ali
DIS Veteran

Lots of gun shots, very action packed, the bad guys want to kill lightning McQueen, kind of like an animated James bond movie. If these were humans the movie would probably have a pg13 rating.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Supermom3
DIS Veteran

What about Doc Hudson? I've heard to be prepared to explain what happend to Doc, and that there is some type of tribute to him/Paul Newman. I don't know how prepared I need to be to answer questions or if it's something that might go over the heads of the younger ones. Thanks!
Supermom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Josh'sDad1974
Mouseketeer

Just got back from seeing Cars 2 while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Got to say, my 4 year old loved it. The Deadliest Catch fan in me was pretty surprise to see the Northwestern & Sig Hansen's voice in one of the opening scenes.
Josh'sDad1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews_dad View Post
Scary? My 3 year old was nearly needed a trauma counselor after seeing some of the end sequnce of TS3. And Big Baby .. wow. It was like a horror movie for him.
And that was a rental in the safety of our home. He is a Cars FREAK, but I see explosions in teh ads. Any death or big time scary things going on? To gauge we can't do Bruce in Nemo, we can't do TS3 once Lotso gets mean in Sunnyside, we can't do Incredibles when it gets action-packed, we can't do stampede in Lion King or when scar gets nasty, we can't do Beauty and Beast... you get the idea. Diz films are mostly pretty violent when you think of it. Cars is one of the few with a very safe story line for easily spooked young kids....
Wow, so sorry to hear this. I must consider our family lucky, as our 3 year old doesn't seem to be affected by any of these sequences.

notnothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
andrews_dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Lots of gun shots, very action packed, the bad guys want to kill lightning McQueen, kind of like an animated James bond movie. If these were humans the movie would probably have a pg13 rating.
Just as I feared. Thanks. Was hoping for another solid movie good for all ages like Cars 1, but I know they want to appeal to the bigger audience including teens and adults not just 2-3 year olds. Oh well.
andrews_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews_dad View Post
My DS6 turns TS3 off before it gets to the end everytime. Last time we went to Disney we had plans to watch a movie on the beach at the BC and my son said ok but if it is TS3 we are leaving before its over.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

We enjoyed the movie, though it leaned more toward action/adventure than an emotional mood when compared to other recent Pixar films such as Up and TS3. I can see the appeal this movie would have for kids who love action scenes. The story line was easy to follow (pretty much it's good guys vs. bad guys), and without giving away the plot I'll say that Mator does have a lot of screen time.

A nice tribute was paid to Doc Hudson at the beginning of the movie.

We looks for the Pizza Planet truck, but didn't see it. I'm sure it must have been shown sometime in the movie.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
jjsdad
DIS Veteran

THis one sounds right up my ds3's alley. He loves lightning but the first movie was way to slow for him in certain parts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: