Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 2,987

Lightbulb Announcement: Special Father's Day Podcast

Hey everyone. We're going to record a special Father's Day Podcast, for release on Father's Day. For this podcast, we want EVERYONE'S input. We're going to collect two kinds of stories from our fellow DIS Dads: 1) A story about your own Father; or 2) A story about being a Father to your child - both preferably involving Walt Disney World (or at least Disney in some way). Please keep your stories brief - 60 seconds or less, and it would be great if you could start the story by introducing yourself. We'll edit the stories together, along with a couple of interview pieces (I'm working on a special surprise on that front, but I don't know if it will happen for sure, so I don't want to announce that part yet).

You can participate in either of two ways. You can call (816) 348-3939 and record your message. If you don't have free long distance service, you can just click on the Father's Day Podcast Project link in the right margin on the disdads.com website, and our Google Voice account will call you. In our testing, recording quality was slightly better when the call came in on a wired line vs. a cell phone, but don't let the need to use a cell phone stop you from participating. Our sound magician Josh will make it work.

We're not setting a hard cut-off date for recordings yet, partially because we're not sure how long it will take Josh to put this all together. But please submit your stories as soon as possible - the sooner the better. Thanks in advance for your participation. We think this is going to help us create something really special for Father's Day.
__________________
Aaron (45), Wife DW, The Bug DD (11), Bubba J DS (7)
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!


AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here
 
prattpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Hey everyone. We're going to record a special Father's Day Podcast, for release on Father's Day. For this podcast, we want EVERYONE'S input. We're going to collect two kinds of stories from our fellow DIS Dads: 1) A story about your own Father; or 2) A story about being a Father to your child - both preferably involving Walt Disney World (or at least Disney in some way). Please keep your stories brief - 60 seconds or less, and it would be great if you could start the story by introducing yourself. We'll edit the stories together, along with a couple of interview pieces (I'm working on a special surprise on that front, but I don't know if it will happen for sure, so I don't want to announce that part yet).

You can participate in either of two ways. You can call (816) 348-3939 and record your message. If you don't have free long distance service, you can just click on the Father's Day Podcast Project link in the right margin on the disdads.com website, and our Google Voice account will call you. In our testing, recording quality was slightly better when the call came in on a wired line vs. a cell phone, but don't let the need to use a cell phone stop you from participating. Our sound magician Josh will make it work.

We're not setting a hard cut-off date for recordings yet, partially because we're not sure how long it will take Josh to put this all together. But please submit your stories as soon as possible - the sooner the better. Thanks in advance for your participation. We think this is going to help us create something really special for Father's Day.
Guys when we were planning this I had goosebumps from the beginning and Ive got them now. This could turn out really cool! Please help us out on this one and Josh and the rest of the podcast crew will try to work the behind the scenes magic. HINT: write out what you want to say, then read it to time it. It is important that we keep to the time of 60 seconds or less. Doesnt sound like a lot of time but it is. This way we dont have to CHOOSE what goes on the podcast and what doesnt. All your messages are equally important to us. Also a ton of you have expressed interest in being ON that podcast as well. We will be contacting you when we get all the ducks in a row.
Aaron thank you sir for making this a reality. This is going to be SWEET!!!!
__________________
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?

Last edited by prattpak; 05-11-2011 at 08:04 AM.
prattpak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
jason4024
DIS Dad #541
I am sure you will get your fill of man things to do around these parts
 
jason4024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coaldale, PA - 1,068 miles north of the happiest place on Earth
Posts: 714

Someone mark the time of this next statement.

I AGREE WITH MARK!

Aaron, this is an awesome idea. If it weren't for our fathers, we wouldnt have become who we are today. I miss my dad dearly each and every day, but know he is always with me. I already wrote mine and had my wife, and mother in tears when I read it to them.
__________________

Last edited by jason4024; 05-11-2011 at 08:37 AM.
jason4024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here
 
prattpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4024 View Post
Someone mark the time of this next statement.

I AGREE WITH MARK!
Aaron, this is an awesome idea. If it weren't for our fathers, we wouldnt have become who we are today. I miss my dad dearly each and every day, but know he is always with me. I already wrote mine and had my wife, and mother in tears when I read it to them.
*clutches chest and collaspes*
__________________
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
prattpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here
 
prattpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 1,644

bump
__________________
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
prattpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 2,987

I just got an Email with preliminary confirmation from our surprise special guest that he will participate in an interview. Now, we just have to work out scheduling. I'm really excited about this podcast, but it's only going to work if people participate! (And don't worry too much about the 60-second limit. Just understand that, if they're too long, we'll have to edit. And we want to include as many of these stories as possible, so keeping it brief keeps us from having a two-hour podcast).
__________________
Aaron (45), Wife DW, The Bug DD (11), Bubba J DS (7)
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!


AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,984

For better quality, is it OK if we record locally to an MP3 file, then email it you?
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here
 
prattpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
For better quality, is it OK if we record locally to an MP3 file, then email it you?
YES that will work too. email them to me and I can get them to Josh. prattpak1@gmail.com
__________________
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
prattpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave
 
theduck619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 8,926

Thanks guys for doing this!! It will be awesome I am sure
__________________
(me - David) (DW) DS 9 & = 9 (twins) DS 8 DD 7 DD 4

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room
 
Turkey Lurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Hoth
Posts: 837

For frame of reference, a full page of normal sized font, double spaced, is roughly 60 seconds. Read it a few times out loud to get used to how it sounds before your actual recording. Your natural inclination is to rush though it, but the faster you go, you lose enunciation. Take your time and you should do fine.


I will be submitting something, I just don't know what quite yet!


TL
__________________
Indolence capable of energies.
(Me), (DW), (DD6), (DD1)
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 2,987

Just bumping this thread up as a reminder. It really will be a HUGE help if people submit their memory recordings sooner rather than later. This is the most technically complex podcast we've put together yet, and we could use the time. This is your chance to share your thoughts about what it really means to be a Dis Dad!
__________________
Aaron (45), Wife DW, The Bug DD (11), Bubba J DS (7)
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!


AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly
 
RodBelding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mass.
Posts: 6,151

Wow this is a great idea! I can't wait to hear it. I'll be contributing, I just need to think of what to say (and hold myself to 60 seconds, I tend to ramble sometimes...)
__________________
_______________________________________________
Me (Paul) DW DD DS
RodBelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room
 
Turkey Lurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Hoth
Posts: 837

Say, could you guys use some fake commercials to give you a break/fill up time on your podcasts? If so, I might be persuaded to throw a few together for you....


TL
__________________
Indolence capable of energies.
(Me), (DW), (DD6), (DD1)
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 2,987

While I appreciate the humor value of fake commercials, because the podcast provides real information, often about real commercial products, I'm a little uncomfortable about mixing in parody. I know that WE'RE smart enough to know the difference, but I'm not always sure that the general listening public is . . .
__________________
Aaron (45), Wife DW, The Bug DD (11), Bubba J DS (7)
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!


AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room
 
Turkey Lurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Hoth
Posts: 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
While I appreciate the humor value of fake commercials, because the podcast provides real information, often about real commercial products, I'm a little uncomfortable about mixing in parody. I know that WE'RE smart enough to know the difference, but I'm not always sure that the general listening public is . . .
I know that feeling all too well.


TL
__________________
Indolence capable of energies.
(Me), (DW), (DD6), (DD1)
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.