Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
4 The Love Of Disney
Pro-Planner

I love to Plan the Disney trips

Hi there - I (DD - 40 ), my DW (40), DS ( 9), DD (7), and DS (3) go to Disney World pretty much every year. And pretty much every year I look forward to the planning of the whole trip - from the activities, to the park visits, to the dining etc... I thrive on it so much that I usually start planning a year in advance and was able to justify the purchase of my iPad 2 to my DW in saying that I need it to plan and maintain all my info in one medium. Is it just me or are there other Disdads that enjoy planning Disney trips//

Watch out Mickey, here we come!

2014 - Disney Fantasy and POR
2013 - Disney Dream, POR & runDisney weekend
2011 - POR, Disney Dream, Boardwalk Inn
2010 - POR
2009 - All Star Movies - Toy Story bldg
2008 - All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies
2006 - Animal Kingdom
2005 - Offsite
4 The Love Of Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 The Love Of Disney View Post
Hi there - I (DD - 40 ), my DW (40), DS ( 9), DD (7), and DS (3) go to Disney World pretty much every year. And pretty much every year I look forward to the planning of the whole trip - from the activities, to the park visits, to the dining etc... I thrive on it so much that I usually start planning a year in advance and was able to justify the purchase of my iPad 2 to my DW in saying that I need it to plan and maintain all my info in one medium. Is it just me or are there other Disdads that enjoy planning Disney trips//
I'm pretty sure all of us fit that qualification. Our wifes run the gamut from barely caring about Disney to being just as excited as any of us for our next trip.

When is your next trip?

And don't forget to pop on over to the main DDC X thread to introduce yourself!
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Yes, it is a common disease. I plan trips even when I can't go, and am more than happy to help others plan. I actually had a friend who went to Disney World last spring for a work related conference at the Swan/Dolphin. He got out of meetings mid-afternoon and then would head to the parks. He didn't have enough time to do everything and was asking me to recommend some highlights to hit. We were communicating by text message and I was suggesting where he should go next and the quickest way to get there and then he'd send a pic message once in a while. Living vicariously is the next best thing to being there I guess. The good news is that he had fun and we're still friends.
afwdwfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

My wife probably loves going to Disney even more than I do, but she leaves all the planning to me. Of course, she didn't have a choice the first time, as it was a surprise honeymoon. I must have done well enough for that one that she trusted me with our last one and our next one.

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here

My wife and I are equally as crazy at the planning stage. I get a little more obsessed when it comes to Disney in general. We try to go every year as well so we ALWAYS have a trip to plan for (keeps us sane). Once the trip is over we set our dates for the next one and make the deposit. We try to make the deposit a year in advance if possible to be able to make the payments throughout the year. This makes it so we arent completely broke when the trip comes. Im on the phone at 530mst at 180 to go to make those ADR's that we really really want. The others we play with and adjust to the opening/closing or special occasions. We also have a big water jug with a small hole in the lid that we save our pocket change in year long. We had over $600 in spending money just from doing that simple task.
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
prattpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

I'm the master planner for my family...we all love Disney...but they leave it up to me to plan everything.

Not like I could Beverly it up too bad.

As long as DW gets some shopping time...DS1 gets Epcot...DS2 get Animal Kingdom...I'm golden.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

I'm the family vacation planner. DW has said more than once that she loves the fact that she doesn't even need to think about vacation details. She told me that whenever she starts thinking she's getting annoyed by my WDW obsession, she remembers that leaving me to my devices ends up leading to a flawless trip. :D For her, the "relaxation" part of a Disney vacation comes from not having to sweat details. And I'd rather not waste time relaxing on vacation, so I'm happy with the planner/"cruise director" role.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
4 The Love Of Disney
Pro-Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I'm pretty sure all of us fit that qualification. Our wifes run the gamut from barely caring about Disney to being just as excited as any of us for our next trip.

When is your next trip?

And don't forget to pop on over to the main DDC X thread to introduce yourself!

LOL - we head to POR for a week in August, then our first - a 4 night cruise on the Dream, and then a couple of nights at the Boardwalk Inn before we head home.

Watch out Mickey, here we come!

2014 - Disney Fantasy and POR
2013 - Disney Dream, POR & runDisney weekend
2011 - POR, Disney Dream, Boardwalk Inn
2010 - POR
2009 - All Star Movies - Toy Story bldg
2008 - All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies
2006 - Animal Kingdom
2005 - Offsite
4 The Love Of Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

LOL.. I love to plan them too... but then my wife comes in and changes 90% of my plans! unfortunately, hers are usually better...
Old 05-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

I caught the bug when I planned our first trip to WDW. I stumbled upon the DIS and began to read everything I could on the subject. I obsessed of the smallest of things and planned one of the best vacations my wife had ever been on. After that it became a matter of personal pride for me. I'm now starting to branch out and work on non-Disney trips. That's been a bit harder because I've found there's no DIS for Germany.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
5stljayhawks
Rock Chawk Jayhawk

My excel planning sheet is better than yours!!!

dudes..... my wife had no clue what a disney freak i could become.... I have planning fever something bad. In fact I pretty much run a year around weekend excel sheet. this covers opening trout day march 1st, march weekend with the boy fishing if weekend is nice, turkey hunting, memorial day, fathers days, 4th of july, labor day.. sept 15 AKA opening archery deer season, every weekend from first of oct to dec, Nov 15th+/- is firearm deer season time to get the kids in the woods.

Pack up the camper for a few month for spring fishing and repeat.

So every now and then I get in a WDW trip. Three with the kids the last 6 years and two with just the wife and me. OK it was really her work, but still had to plan golf and fishing!!!!!!! I planned from 10/2008 for our 12/1210 trip. Yep 2 plus years. I am a planning dork!!!!!

who has the most tricked out excell spread sheet?????????
2/07 - CSR Valentines with the Wife
10/08 – FW Halloween D 5, S 2.99yrs, D 9 mths
2/10 – CSR (Wife works and I Fish/Golf) 12/10 – FW Christmas D7.83,S5,D2.99.
10/12 - Halloween/MMNSSP Art of Anim & Poly DD9.51,DS6.96,DD4.79
3/14 Wife & Daughter work@ CSR 6/14 Family @ FW DD11,DS8.23DD6.45
Next trip - Unknown (:-( Hopefully soon, got the bug..!
[/SIZE]
5stljayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

We aren't over planners, like the type that schedule tings down to the minute. But I do come up with the main itinerary, which parks on each day and where we are eating. Afterwards, we pretty much play it all by ear. My wife loves the meet and greet things, so she pretty much runs the actual times inside the parks.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
T Morrows Child
Dis Dads #596
He's the wildcard in the mix

The planning is such a fun part of all WDW trips . . . especially when crowd levels are at a 10. Then it's a challenge to get some really great dining and really short waits despite the really tough crowds!

And, like most of you, I'm the itinerary planner for many of my friends and co-workers. Which is cool, since they get more excited when they see how really excited I get about their trips!

What tools do you guys use? I'm a devotee of the Unofficial Guide and touringplans.com for my basic framework. I like how touringplans allows you to customize plans and print them - works out handy to share.
Dis Dads #596
T Morrows Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Wadecool
DIS Veteran

I am also the master planner of our family and enjoy putting it all together. I used a combination of the Disboards and the Unofficial Guide to plan our trip. DW said that I was a little OCD about the planning prior to our trip, but she thanked me when we had great ADR's and never had to wait in line more than 10 minutes.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

I'm definitely the travel planner of the family (both Disney and not). As I was reading this thread I thought about our/my planning style and wanted to ask the group to see how we each plan.

Typically the way I plan a trip is as follows:

- Pick time of year that we can go
- Figure out the best days to visit parks during out time (using multiple resources such as TGM and TP)
- Figure out ADRs that would fit into this schedule
- Build the spreadsheet that includes Park planned to visit, ADR & confirm #s, EMH & park hours for each park and the crowd level / crowd color based on previously mentioned reference.

Once we get to the World, we try to take a much more relaxed approach, but I always have my reference chart to verify that if we want to call an audible that it would line up with plans.

Let me know your planning techniques and methods.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (7)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: