Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #31
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Future teacher, destined to touch young hearts and minds
Aced her PPSTs

day 21... a needed reminder from wide awake and glitterbags... THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide awake View Post
Don't beat yourself up "just doing walking". Exercise doesn't work if you have to MAKE yourself do it. You're looking at changing your life, and your life should be enjoyable. If you really like to walk, than take a daily walk and call it good. Much better to make that a lifetime habit than forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy. I'm a size four and walking is the backbone of my fitness program. After about 12 years I added yoga and a little bit of exercise bike, but 90% of my exercise time is spent walking. People are too hard on themselves, they try to diet w/ not enough food, they make themselves do exercises they hate...and it isn't successful. Read some of the WISH journals and you'll see. Think longterm, not short term. If you get into the mindset of being a certain weight for WDW or whatever, you will most likely not get there, or if you do it won't last. Concentrate on making good choices everyday that you can live w/, and the weight will come off and stay off. No it won't be fast, but each day you'll be a tiny bit thinner and more fit than you were the previous day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterbags View Post
Just as life has its ups and downs, like a roller coaster ride, your exercise regimen with your goal set in mind may at times falter. Our daily activities be at home or at work, is an exercise itself, if you have not exercised at home because you were tired from work, then don't. Do it at your own pace. Don't exercise if you are tired, for everyone has its own limits.
Have a nice weekend. Let's live life to the fullest, enjoying every moment of it.
Wow, you both are very intuitive. I get so involved with making a "plan" regarding how best to tackle the weight, I am an "all or nothing" kind of planner and you both made alot of sense why this is not OK.

I struggled with getting up and exercising. Spent the morning on the couch watching tv, had some chips and relaxing, but all the while struggling with "I should be's...". Then in the afternoon I took a walk with DH and DD. I LOVED it! So thank you to wide awake for telling me about your walking being such a strong part of your routine. I think since I enjoy it so much that it is OK for it to be a main part for my routine. Also, you are so right about the mindset of the numbers. Last week I thought to myself I should loose another 3# to get to the next 10's number. In the end I put pressure on myself to get it done, and then faltered this week from my own pressure. I should have done what I had been doing the first 2 weeks... just focusing on healthy... the weightloss will follow.

And thank you to glitterbags, you are so right, I need to cut myself some slack about enjoying life, take into account what is happening during the day, and not to beat myself up about it, but yet make it work around my own schedule. I am looking forward to our trip out west and I was watching some youtube videos about the hike to delicate arch. It scared me a bit, I want to do that hike so bad, I got into panic mode thinking I need to work out super hard to be able to do it. BUT, paying attention to what you wrote about living life to the fullest, I know I will be able to do that hike, I just will have to take more rest breaks than others. It is OK, because I am sure that there will be a lot of scenery in the mean time to really look at, perhaps people watch, and just enjoy the fact that I still can.

I mentioned it in the begining of the journal, and didn't really elaborate, I almost died last August. It is true, after emergency surgery for blood clots in my arm, and ending up on the ventilator because of massive blood clots in my lungs, I am truly lucky to be alive. I need to remember that a bit more clearly and to stop focusing on the "panic" mode of losing weight but rather enjoying this journey of self discover and losing weight, and more importantly to enjoy the journey of life. I am thankful for each and every day. Thank you to both of you wide awake and glitterbags for helping me to refocus on what is important... the journey, slow and steady to get healthy!
Oct. '07 DD woke up Tinkerbelle
Oct. '07 Won Dream Fastpasses
Oct. '08 First Family at Epcot Character Meet and Greet
Oct. '08 Magical Family ~ Opened MK
Aug. '09 Magical Family ~ Opened Disneyland Park
PRINCESS VIJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #32
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

Day 22. Who knew bratwurst could be made with strawberries?

I have been really enjoying writing in this journal every day. I am so surprised to see how quickly the time is going. I did great for the first 2 weeks and then faltered a bit on the third. So I really want to focus on the next 3 weeks of healthy choices, and not to focus on the scale. So I will avoid the scale for 3 weeks and really focus on doing good things for my health.

Today we went to the Strawberry festival. It was a lot of fun, but VERY crowded. We had some treats, even tried the strawbery bratwurst! Who knew that bratwurst could have strawberries in it, they also had a strawberry sauce to go with it, that was just OK, but the brat was great! I had strawberry cheesecake rangoon... OMG that was yummy! I was careful with my snacking today, and went for a long walk with DH this morning. Some pretty good choices for today. Glad to know that I can enjoy a festival, make good choices and not feel guilty.

I would love to start reading other journals on WISH, what are some of your favorites?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #33
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

day 23. I get sucked into the TV too much!

I find myself doing this way too much. I have to find the courage to just say "no" sometimes. Do you get that way too? While I was off of work, I became a Today show junkie. Now I DVR it every day and although I fast forward through alot of it, I find myself watching too much tv, then after I've watched the today show I see what else is on... and so on... and so on...

I think I should just stop recording it. and just avoid the couch after work. I've got a lot of projects to get done, it is summer, and I shouldn't be inside watching tv.

Perhaps it would be best to make a goal of not watching TV until after I've gotten my exercise in for the day.

Now if I could just stop DVR'ing the Today show.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #34
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I am home for the summer. I am trying to very hard to keep the tv off during the day. My sewing room is in the basement and there is no cable there but tv with a dvd player attatched to it. Yesterday I went down to sew and I kept it off and used my computer to play music.

Good luck. Exercise is the next thing I really have to get into.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #35
DisneyKim68
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great year Vija! I'm enjoying your journal and look forward to sharing the rest of your journey with you. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
mmacg78
Earning My Ears

Glad to see you are trying to start this and stick to it but it seems like you are definitely struggling. It may be time to start thinking of things differently.

You talked about how you looked at when your trip was and that you would have to lose 4 pounds a week to make your goal weight by your trip. You automatically found that number to be overbearing and let it stress you out. Take it as a challenge, something that can be accomplished (because it can be), but it will require work, hard work, and dedication.

You find time to DVR and watch the Today show everyday right? And that is definitely something you enjoy...don't deprive yourself of it, just make it beneficial. Take the time to watch the show but exercise during the commercials (instead of fast forwarding through them). Jumping jacks, jogging in place, push ups and sit ups could fill those 2 minute breaks.

Your biggest challenge (and what will ultimately yield you the biggest reward) is getting your snacking/binging under control. You have to ditch the chips, McDonalds, ice cream, etc. Give yourself 2 weeks and MAKE yourself go without them. Give yourself a reward for making it through those 2 weeks (don't make it food related). Your cravings will start to disappear if you can make that initial sacrifice. Find replacement snacks/foods to eat when you have a craving. Fruits, vegetables, yogurt, etc, would all fill in nicely.

You said you watched the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss show and it inspired you. That's great, now look at what those people do. They stop working, exercise 5 hours a day and completely change their diets. They have incredible will power and determination. You can have that as well. I can tell you have the desire.

You find comfort in your TV shows and eating. Wait until you find comfort in your health and how you feel every day. It's the best feeling in the world and something you can definitely have. You know you want this, now go get it
mmacg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #37
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

Day 24. Got our weight set together!

So, we are saving all of our pennies for our upcoming trips that are extravaganzas! A few weeks ago at a rummage sale we picked up weights, bar bells and dumbbells. We wanted to pick up a bench at a store to complete the set, but really don't have the money for it. Well, today I went for a walk, and went a way I haven't been in a while and came across a bench that was FREE!!!! Just sitting on the curb, with a sign saying "free"! We brought it home and it is like a home gym, you can do leg exercises, lat pull downs, fly's and of course the bar for bench presses. I am so happy. Walking today was beneficial in more ways than one.

donac, disneykim68, mmacg78: Thanks for joining my journey! It makes the ride so much more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I am home for the summer. I am trying to very hard to keep the tv off during the day. My sewing room is in the basement and there is no cable there but tv with a dvd player attatched to it. Yesterday I went down to sew and I kept it off and used my computer to play music.

Good luck. Exercise is the next thing I really have to get into.
I like the idea of you playing music, I think that is a great idea. Every so often when I clean I put on the old 80's tunes and it brightens my day. I think I will have to do that when scrapbooking, keep my hands away from the snacks and my mood in a happy place. I hope you have a great summer, I remember you had some struggles last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKim68 View Post
Sounds like you are well on your way to a great year Vija! I'm enjoying your journal and look forward to sharing the rest of your journey with you. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I see you just started your journal, and I'll be supporting you too! I haven't had time to look at the journals today, but I will do that tomorrow. have to run and am wanting to make sure I log in today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacg78 View Post
Glad to see you are trying to start this and stick to it but it seems like you are definitely struggling. It may be time to start thinking of things differently.

You talked about how you looked at when your trip was and that you would have to lose 4 pounds a week to make your goal weight by your trip. You automatically found that number to be overbearing and let it stress you out. Take it as a challenge, something that can be accomplished (because it can be), but it will require work, hard work, and dedication.

You find time to DVR and watch the Today show everyday right? And that is definitely something you enjoy...don't deprive yourself of it, just make it beneficial. Take the time to watch the show but exercise during the commercials (instead of fast forwarding through them). Jumping jacks, jogging in place, push ups and sit ups could fill those 2 minute breaks.

Your biggest challenge (and what will ultimately yield you the biggest reward) is getting your snacking/binging under control. You have to ditch the chips, McDonalds, ice cream, etc. Give yourself 2 weeks and MAKE yourself go without them. Give yourself a reward for making it through those 2 weeks (don't make it food related). Your cravings will start to disappear if you can make that initial sacrifice. Find replacement snacks/foods to eat when you have a craving. Fruits, vegetables, yogurt, etc, would all fill in nicely.

You said you watched the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss show and it inspired you. That's great, now look at what those people do. They stop working, exercise 5 hours a day and completely change their diets. They have incredible will power and determination. You can have that as well. I can tell you have the desire.

You find comfort in your TV shows and eating. Wait until you find comfort in your health and how you feel every day. It's the best feeling in the world and something you can definitely have. You know you want this, now go get it
You are so right in everything you wrote. Some days I am doing great, others are challenging and my willpower (or there lack of) really struggles. You are so right about the Today show, I really do like it. I think you are on to something about the exercising while watching it. I have a few of the extreme makeovers DVR'd but haven't watched them yet, I think I will have to watch those to see again what can be done in a year with determination. I like how you ended your response. "It's the best feeling in the world and something you can definitely have. You know you want this, now go get it". I think I may just have to copy that and put in on the fridge, the mirror and anywhere else I want a little extra motivation.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #38
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

day 25. 3 mile walk and No McDonalds!

So there was a post on the CB about someone who lost lots of weight by just walking 3 miles a day. I decided to add that to my exercise repetoire. So today DH and I went off on a walk that we had previously measured. Felt great. No Mcdonalds too! I did have 5 chips only. Which is an amazing feat, I know I can do better, but that was pretty good. After we came home I wasn't even really hungry, just thirsty, so I didn't snack after dinner either.

Love the waks with DH. We spend the time just talking. I LOVE that time together. solid uninterupted time to chat, catch up on things going on, and dream of future vacations! Walking together like this has so many benefits, not just health, but it brings us closer to each other too. LOVE THAT!

I also went back and reread that post that I made after I got out of the hospital. It brought back lots of fears, anxieties, but mostly gratitude for having the opportunity to continue to experience life. I thank God for this second chance. I sat here in tears rereading everything. I am so lucky, and I really don't want to waste any more time being overweight and letting that rule my life. I am so glad I am finally getting this journey underway. 25 days! I am so proud and pleased.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #39
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I am glad that you are still here also.

I read that on the CB also and am thinking of trying it. I might also have to take the dog.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #40
BabyTigger99
The most beautiful words in the world?
Complete Remission!!!!

I love that song!!!! But it just drips of gouda!!!

Keep up the great work Vija!! You are doing awesome!!!
BabyTigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #41
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

day 26. Another 3 mile walk, BUT WHERE IS THE NEAREST BATHROOM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I am glad that you are still here also.

I read that on the CB also and am thinking of trying it. I might also have to take the dog.
I'm working on doing it every night. Have you looked at the walk jog run website? I LOVE it! you can create routes to walk and it will tell you how far it is. We mapped it and then drove it with a car to double check and it is pretty accurate. This way I know in advace how far I need to walk to make it a 3 mile walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTigger99 View Post
Keep up the great work Vija!! You are doing awesome!!!
Thank you so much! I love reading all of the supportive comments. It really does make a difference!

So today I worked a bit later than I had been, but I was still determined to get in a walk. the problem started at work... I wanted to finish my water bottle, (second one for the day) and drank 3/4 of the water bottle right as I was leaving work. Got home, dinner on the table thanks to a wonderful DH and I had my dinner with more liquids to drink.... (See where this is going???) So we rest just a few minutes and off we go for our walk. We are 1 mile in and I look at DH and ask that very critical question... WHERE IS THE NEAREST BATHROOM???? And I really needed to go!!! We really didn't have a lot of choices, so we walked back to the park and thankfully the bathroom was open. But as we were getting closer, I was walking ever so carefulll! So many lessons learned here! Not to chug lots of water shortly before walking 3 miles, and make sure to plan in at least a bathroom nearby just in case. I've never had an issue like that before!

Lots of healthy choices today. For work I didn't want chips at lunch so I made a cauliflower salad, and also I noticed that I hadn't been bringing fruit to lunch, so today I had an apple and really enjoyed it. got my walk in, obviously lots of water, and no McDonalds. I did have chips at night, but portioned it into a bowl and enjoyed it slowly.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #42
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

day 27. I hate swimsuit shopping

We were out shopping for DD's new swimsuit. I thought I might try some on as well, as my old one is worn out. I do have a back up, but thought it might be nice for a new one...

Oh, I tried some on, and they looked ridiculous! HORRIBLY ridiculous. What was I thinking ridicuous???!!!! I guess even though I feel better for going 27 days now, this made me realize how long of a road I have. At least I have taken 27 steps in the right direction. In the past I might have just binged on food, but not today! We came home and went for a walk. It is actually 3.1 miles long. It felt a little easier today. Even with a heat advisory. It wasn't even that hot, so I don't know what the fuss was about. 3 days now we have done 3 miles. I am so excited.

Oh, and no Mcdonad's!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #43
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

Day 28. It's working!

I weighed myself in the middle of the week just before we started this 3 mile daily walking plan and I was up 1# from my weigh in on the weekend. Sooooo, I am down 4.4 from my highpoint this week, down 3.4# total for the week!!!!
AND I am down 11.4 total so far since I started this journal 4 weeks ago!!!!!

I am sooo happy! I even had to weigh in 1 day early because we won't be home tomorrow morning, so this is outstanding.

I am in 1 month and this makes me realize just truly how fast time is going, and it is so important to seize the moment now to get healthy. Otherwise I am sure that I would have spent the last 4 weeks gaining more weight.

wide awake If you are reading this, thank you so much for your words of wisdom about walking being OK. Between you and the post on the CB I have found something that is REALLY working for me!

DH and I got up early this morning and did our walk early. It was very nice. I am only concerned because doing it at night is a very good snack deterrent. I don't feel like snacking. Today we will be up north and I know we will have a campfire with smores and hot dogs. LOVE that, and haven't had it in a long time. I do want them, so knowing that in advance I will do my best to eat wisely all day long so I can enjoy it guilt free tonight. I just hope I don't over indulge. I will have to keep my goal in mind...

I don't think I have shared that yet with you. We are going on the Disney Fantasy cruise next year and for formal night I want to wear a long, beautiful dress and look "foxy"! I have more goals for sure, but that is one I am really looking forward to.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #44
wide awake
Nuts are good
I think vacation planning is the best therapy in the world
I do have cute tennis shoes

You sound as if you are doing great! Don't let the swimsuit try on get you down. Nobody enjoys that, unless they're a 15yr old gymnast. I'm glad you've decided to do what YOU like and can do, and not what others say you should do. It sounds as if you're making good choices w/ your food too. If I really like something I let myself have it, I plan for it, just as you've started to do. It makes it more enjoyable too, if you're really hungry for it and you know you don't have to feel guilty while you're eating it. From what I've read you've also added in more fruits and veggies. That is perfect! Your goal sounds reasonable, by the time the cruise comes up you'll have your choice of sexy black dresses. 11.4 pounds is incredible for one month.
wide awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #45
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Aced her PPSTs

Day 29. Great time up north!

We went up to my parent's cabin over night, and we had a great time! Yes, I did have the smores and hot dog, they were soooo yummy! The smore was amazing, my DD bought the new HUGE marshmallows, Have you had these yet? they are huge! I did pull back on my eating at lunch and dinner, and had the treats.

Some highlights:
I helped mow the lawn (extra exercise!)
We went swimming yesterday and today (my Dad jumped in too, and our dog went crazy, loving being in the water
We went geocaching
We went for a 3 mile walk up there (DS joined us, so that was really fun)
went for a mile walk last night
watched the stars come out
watched the sunset on the pier
watched fireworks go off all the way around the lake. At one point I counted 12 different firework areas.
Did a little shopping
spent time chatting with Mom and Dad
Did some reading
enjoyed the campfire
My mom made her traditional "up north breakfast crepes"

it was a great relaxing time!

wide awake: You really made me laugh with the 15 yr old gymnast comment! I guess that is very true. We did go shopping, and I got shorts and 1 set of capris, I was very happy that they fit easier, so that wasn't so traumatic. I have been wanting more veggies, and ***GASP*** without dip! that is another milestone for me. I would always have dip with my veggies, now I just take a few of the variety of veggies, and eat them plain, and they taste good!

So excited to start week 5. I had to go back and think, but it really has been 4 weeks so far, This journey is amazing, time is flying, and I am feeling better!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: