Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Jealous of your location! We had a bit of a walk to Old Port Royale! Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the resort!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #47
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Day 1- The Day of Multiple Transportation Methods. Part 3. Wet Pirates.

Cont. from earlier... we were arriving at our Room, Jamaica, Caribbean Beach

Our room was as expected. We had previously stayed in a deluxe so we knew we were downgrading. Although not the newest accommodations, the room was clean enough and spacious enough for us and all our belongings. A few pictures were in order before we officially destroyed the room.

bathroom sink

closet (more or less)

Arrival artwork

I was soon interrupted by a bed jumping duo...

iphone moving pic

I never did get back to those pictures...

But don't fret- I won't leave you hanging

I borrowed these pictures from here on WDW Info and from disney carribean beach .com (THANKS!)

view from door

view towards door

privacy curtain in front of bathroom

See the table next to the tv & dresser- it was perfect for unloading a suitcase on. We stashed the empties next to it.

a different viewpoint of the view towards door.

Our room was set up the same way as this one. See the little wall area near the connecting door? It actually was a little larger than it looks here. We stashed James' bed here and it didn't interfere with getting in the door or with getting into bed.

Ok, enough of the housekeeping...

James finally gets a clothing change, and Maya gets some Tylenol. Then we headed off to Old Port Royale for lunch. The walk across Caribbean Cay seemed a bit long this first time- but only because of its unfamiliarity. Just a few steps into our walk we notice some turtles on the water bank. Another pair of guests saw an opportunity.

"Bob, look over there, is that the alligator?"

"Why yes, yes I think it is."

Maya decided right then and there it was her mission to warn all others about the risk of swimming.

We took our time crossing, checking out all the little side paths on the bridge. There was a playground, and a few secluded hammick spots nestled behind the trees. The feature pool looked amazing, and we couldn't wait to check it out in a while. But first we must eat.

I did take a few pictures inside on a later date. I'm going to save them for another installment. This time, i neglected to bring my camera.

The Old Port Royale building is bright and colorful inside. After scanning our choices we decide on the large pepperoni pizza combo. It is only 2 counter service credits and comes with 2 drinks and 2 desserts from a grab and go area. (i don't have the reciept with me, but the pizza would have been $15, and the drinks/ desserts about $2.50 each) I chose a large m&m cookie- the size of a dessert plate- and a chocolate muffin. Chris and I got our mugs- black and of course pink! (about $29.00) And we got the kids Sprite with the cups that came with the meal. Pizza, sprite, and cookie- the kids were in heaven!

The pizza was a good size and pretty tasty too! We all ate and had two pieces left. On a starving day we could have probably finished it all but it was plenty for us at Disney. We all shared the cookie and took the muffin back to the room for breakfast the next morning.

On our way back, I started thinking of our carryon I had packed like a weekend bag. We each had swimsuits, clothes for dinner, clothes for the park the next day, pajamas- everything we needed for the first 24 hours in Florida.

Except suntan lotion.

I had packed it in the checked luggage. Whoops. Silly airline liquid rules. Kind of important when we all were still sporting the I've been stuck inside while its rained almost daily for the last six weeks look.

We were almost to our room when we heard a little rustling in the bushes. A small lizard! It blended so well we had trouble finding it. We saw tons of these over our stay, but I was never able to get a picture.

Not 5 minutes after we returned to our room, bell services arrived with our luggage! (about 3-4 hours after we landed) Piles of sunscreen were applied, then we were off to play in a pirate ship.

taken later in the week

borrowed from same site to get you a better perspective.

Some time had passed since our kids had been in a pool, so we wanted to let them get acclimated. The kiddie feature pool is a great place to do so. It's a large circular zero entry area, surrounded by chairs and a fence. The play structure is themed like a pirate ship, with a couple of small slides. And if you heard a bell, then watch out! The bell signaled that the buckets were about to spill over and pour water on whatever pirates were unlucky (or lucky) enough to be standing below.

Maya practiced a little on the kiddie slides, then decided she was ready for the big guns. James and Chris were happy where they were, so we left our things there and went in search of a life jacket. I'd like to suggest that you wear your shoes when you do this. The ground had these little decorative grooves in it and we had to go to a bin on the far side of the pool to find one. Not comfy on your bare feet!

picture taken later in the week

feature pool, pic taken later in the week

borrowed to get you a better perspective; view of slide from zero entry area

borrowed from same site; view of other slide from same zero entry area

Swimming knowledge is a very good investment. Two years ago, when Maya had her first set of lessons, she did very well. Then we spent months away from a pool. Last year, she had developed a fear of the getting her head under water. She refused to even get in the pool at one point. Let's just say she and her instructor really butted heads and it quickly became a battle of will.

the area Maya and I started in.

Once again, it had been a while since Maya had been swimming. I was certain that she would back out of the slides. It certainly surprised me that she changed her mind about getting in the pool. She put one foot on the first step and stopped. I started to coax her in.

"Maya, come on, you don't have to get your head wet, I promise you can stand up here."

"Mamn, let her be, she'll come in on her own time. The prodding tends to make it worse."

Maya was happy to have someone on her side, and told me so with her take that look. She quickly buddied up with that lifeguard and began sharing her life story.

"Hi, I'm Maya, I'm 5 & 3/4. I'll be in kindergarten soon. I have 5 cousins and the names are..."

It was now my time to use the take that look. That'll teach you to butt in with my child (even if you were right)

Maya is one very stubborn person, but she is also very prideful. It didn't take long for her to talk herself into getting into the pool and even trying both slides. I picked up a phrase that has since been used daily. "I'm not going to force you to do anything, you can do it if you want" It's amazing how much a strong willed child will do if it was "her own idea"

Chris and James join soon join us, and we splash around for a while. Maya seems to remember some of her swimming skills, but definitely needs more lessons. We definitely need to hold the life jackets for the week.

Soon its time to go back to the room and get cleaned up. I was expecting to have to carry kicking screaming children. But they each complied, and they did so quietly!

There wasn't much wiggle room in our schedule at this point. We really should have left earlier, but the water felt so good! Quickly we dried off and changed, and before long we were on our way to the bus stop for our dinner ADR.

Or were we?.....

May 2011 CBR TR. October 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR.
Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015

Last edited by lbuzz52; 06-16-2011 at 01:55 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #48
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=LeeLee'sMom;41376375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post

Yes we are lucky, the Kindergarten start date is September 15th..
The going rate is ridiculous... Let's just put it this way, she ended up with $25.00 That will not happen for anymore teeth That was more than I received for an entire mouth full of teeth. Everything now is I am a big girl, I can do it, I even lost a tooth... Loving your TR...so nice to know I have other neurotics out there...
Oh my, that is an expensive tooth! i think i'll keep that one to myself. I was thinking more along the lines of $5, mayye $10 for the first tooth. And probably $2-$3 afterwards.

you are right though, it really does signal some sort of big girl phemomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
What a great convenient location! I'm glad you got all your requests.

I remember years ago picking up relatives at the guest house and driving them to Jamaica where we proceeded for a very long time to wind around looking for room numbers. We kept going and going. I see the signage hasn't changed, lol. It's very confusing.

It's a shame your daughter was sick. I hope she got better quickly!
its almost as if they put the sign in front of the wrong building. it would make perfect sense if it was in front of building 45.

Other than our immediate area, i never did really get the lay of the land; then again, i only left our area on a park bus.

Thanks, she'll be better soon, i promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Sounds like you got a great location!
I really liked our location; for some parks, we were the first bus stop; and others in the middle. Definitely helped with obtaining seats!

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #49
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Jealous of your location! We had a bit of a walk to Old Port Royale! Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the resort!
i spent a lot of time thinking about where we wanted to stay. I am so greatful that we were in our requested area AND that we didn't have to climb steps with a stroller. i really think that the location made a difference in our overall opinions. i dont want to get too far into it now though, dont want to make it seems redundant through the trip report. if you get too curious you can always PM me though

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #50
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

I hope you didnt have bus trouble...
Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #51
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

The pool looks really nice!

I would have been annoyed at the lifeguard, it is not like you were trying to drag her kicking and screaming into the pool.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #52
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

The pool looks so inviting!

Was it really as deep at the water slide as it looked? I didn't think it was that deep at CSR when I caught ds down the slide.

You mentioned holding life jackets for the week. Did you have to arrange to reserve them? I remember we had to do this years ago at POR, but recently at both Pop(May) and CSR(March) there as a box of lifejackets at the pool to borrow and return.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #53
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Okay, let me get this straight ...

A couple seriously mistook turtles for alligators? (Or were they joking?)

And a lifeguard seriously intervened with you and your child??

No offense to the lifeguard, but you do know your child best, and its not their place to give you parenting advice. (Sorry, I was given "parenting advice" by a family on my arrival day, and I'm still not thrilled with them butting in. )

Hands down, I think CBR has the BEST themed pool for little ones. DD (8 at the time) still had a blast playing on the boat. She loved the slide as well. (Well, I vote it as BEST I've seen, but can't vouch for all the pools - yet. )

I'm glad you didn't have to wait long before your luggage (with the sunscreen) arrived!

Sounds like you've had a good day so far, can't wait to hear more!

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #54
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Oh, does that pool look good right about now (considering it's 92 right now!)

And the pirate ship looks so fun... my girls would LOVE that!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #55
LeeLee'sMom
Mouseketeer

I will have to make note of your location at CBR... sounds like a good area for us
Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #56
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Oh, does that pool look good right about now (considering it's 92 right now!)

And the pirate ship looks so fun... my girls would LOVE that!
the pirate ship was fun! and it was nice to be able to walk around it and have your feet wet to cool you down. its hot here today too, i think 99 again. but the humidity has dropped to 45% so its WAY better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
Okay, let me get this straight ...

A couple seriously mistook turtles for alligators? (Or were they joking?)

And a lifeguard seriously intervened with you and your child??

No offense to the lifeguard, but you do know your child best, and its not their place to give you parenting advice. (Sorry, I was given "parenting advice" by a family on my arrival day, and I'm still not thrilled with them butting in. )

Hands down, I think CBR has the BEST themed pool for little ones. DD (8 at the time) still had a blast playing on the boat. She loved the slide as well. (Well, I vote it as BEST I've seen, but can't vouch for all the pools - yet. )

I'm glad you didn't have to wait long before your luggage (with the sunscreen) arrived!

Sounds like you've had a good day so far, can't wait to hear more!

i really think they were just joking... i mean, if they truly thought they were alligators i hope they weren't driving anytime soon. but we couldn't convince Maya they were joking.

yep, he intervened. he was very matter of fact about it, like yep, i see it all the time... that sort of attitude. Maya was on cloud nine about it though- its not like she gets to hear her momma is wrong very often

seriously though, i believe that there are two reasons you should intervene in someone elses parenting . 1) the other kids is about to hurt your child again. as in, you told the kids to stop and they didn't listen so they had a fair shot 2) that other kid is about to run in front of a car/ climb into a burning biilding/ jump off a cliff- whatever dangerous thing the parent is not aware of.

i can't speak for enough of the other pools, but i will say it was enough fun that i was willing to trek over there when there was a perfectly good pool around the corner from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
The pool looks so inviting!

Was it really as deep at the water slide as it looked? I didn't think it was that deep at CSR when I caught ds down the slide.

You mentioned holding life jackets for the week. Did you have to arrange to reserve them? I remember we had to do this years ago at POR, but recently at both Pop(May) and CSR(March) there as a box of lifejackets at the pool to borrow and return.
if i remember correctly, the water was around 4 ft something at the bottom fo the slide areas. one seemed a little deeper. the water was pulling a bit more though at the "deeper" one, so maybe that was it? i'm 5'5", and i could at least tippytoe touch in all parts of the pool.

There were a couple boxes of lifejackets here too. i didn't reserve them. i had read on here somewhere that you could take them to your room. When we first went to the feature pool, there were plenty available, but very few small enough for James. we decided to take them so he would be sure to have one. I didn't ask- but i figured they would stop us if they didn't want us to- or that Mousekeeping would have taken them from the room. Now i'm hoping i wasn't in the wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
The pool looks really nice!

I would have been annoyed at the lifeguard, it is not like you were trying to drag her kicking and screaming into the pool.
i agree, i wasn't forcing her. it really wasn't any of his business as long as i wasn't harming her. i just blew it off though. now when it is someone i know it really eats me up. (i'd tell stories but i'd get all worked up LOL)

the pool was great. and it was never overly busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
I hope you didnt have bus trouble...
no, we really didn't have any troubles. we were pretty lucky i guess.

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #57
AKL LOVER
Are we there yet??

Great pics. The pool does look great I can't believe you got them to leave when you did. And quietly. You must share your tricks with me
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #58
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee'sMom View Post
I will have to make note of your location at CBR... sounds like a good area for us
i'd recommend it... building 44 near building 45.

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #59
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL LOVER View Post
Great pics. The pool does look great I can't believe you got them to leave when you did. And quietly. You must share your tricks with me
i think we were posting at the same time!

it was absolutely pure luck. i wish i had the tricks. i would have used them later in the week....
and when they were younger. i used to avoid the playground because i would have to carry maya sideways kicking and screaming when it was time to leave.

Oct/Nov 09 TR

Old 06-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #60
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
i really think they were just joking... i mean, if they truly thought they were alligators i hope they weren't driving anytime soon. but we couldn't convince Maya they were joking.

yep, he intervened. he was very matter of fact about it, like yep, i see it all the time... that sort of attitude. Maya was on cloud nine about it though- its not like she gets to hear her momma is wrong very often

seriously though, i believe that there are two reasons you should intervene in someone elses parenting . 1) the other kids is about to hurt your child again. as in, you told the kids to stop and they didn't listen so they had a fair shot 2) that other kid is about to run in front of a car/ climb into a burning biilding/ jump off a cliff- whatever dangerous thing the parent is not aware of.

i can't speak for enough of the other pools, but i will say it was enough fun that i was willing to trek over there when there was a perfectly good pool around the corner from us!

See, that's just wrong. The only time someone should intervene is if someone is going to get hurt (verbal, mental, physical - whatever). That wasn't the case and he shouldn't have been a tool about it. Sounds like he needs to see his supervisor for some customer service training. Lifeguard or not, he's not there to parent anyone. He's just there to make sure no one gets hurt or drowns, make sure pool rules are followed, etc. Parenting is certainly not in his job description.

Now that I think more about it, I really think I would have noted his name and reported him. Not to be mean towards him, but he really needs to know that its not okay to interfere with parenting.

Some kids just need a bit more coaxing from mom/dad before they're ready for something. And I truly believe that sometimes, its not okay to drop the topic and come back later. You know your kids best, and you know when its time to drop the subject and when its okay to keep pressing.

If she was doubled over in hysterics and you were yelling at her trying to force her in, sure, he could intervene then. But not trying to talk her into something.

Okay, someone needs to take this soap box away from me. My fingers don't know when to stop.

DS asked repeatedly to visit the pirate pool this year, but he loved the slide at CSR, so it was a good trade off.

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: