Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #91
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
So what you're saying is next time I should drink a second for you??
Absolutely!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #92
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

I'm with you on the shock of little kids in bars at Disney. On their cruise ships they have so many Adult Only places and are so strict on it and it just seems to me they could do the same in the parks - not everywhere but certainly in the Tequila bar!
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #93
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I don't really like Tequila but even I could be tempted by the Blood Orange Margarita - it looks delicious. DH would probably like the pomegranate one.

I don't like children in bars either - I always think of bars (or pubs) as adult places, not the place to have todllers/small children roaming around.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #94
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I agree that a bar is not someplace for kids. (Although I've taken mine to the River Roost Lounge at POR a couple of times to see Yeehaa Bob. ) But it wouldn't surprise me a bit that someone would walk into the Cave with their kids. They probably didn't even read the name of the place...they just figured this is Disney, so it must be family-friendly.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #95
Euphoria027
Mouseketeer

Lol, those people with the toddlers sound... annoying. I know it's Disney and it's kid heaven, but like you said... TEQUILA. Not exactly Chef Mickeys.
Euphoria027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #96
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Absolutely!
Well, if you insist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
I'm with you on the shock of little kids in bars at Disney. On their cruise ships they have so many Adult Only places and are so strict on it and it just seems to me they could do the same in the parks - not everywhere but certainly in the Tequila bar!
You would think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I don't really like Tequila but even I could be tempted by the Blood Orange Margarita - it looks delicious. DH would probably like the pomegranate one.

I don't like children in bars either - I always think of bars (or pubs) as adult places, not the place to have todllers/small children roaming around.
The pomegranate one that Geoff had might be more up your ally. You can definitely taste the tequila in the Blood Orange, but his was much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I agree that a bar is not someplace for kids. (Although I've taken mine to the River Roost Lounge at POR a couple of times to see Yeehaa Bob. ) But it wouldn't surprise me a bit that someone would walk into the Cave with their kids. They probably didn't even read the name of the place...they just figured this is Disney, so it must be family-friendly.
Correct me if I'm wrong though, Yeehaa Bob does 2 shows each night, with the first being more "family friendly" than the second, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria027 View Post
Lol, those people with the toddlers sound... annoying. I know it's Disney and it's kid heaven, but like you said... TEQUILA. Not exactly Chef Mickeys.
I guess that's the part that just flabbergasts me, I mean, the place has TEQUILA in it's name. What part of that makes you go, "hmm, this is a GREAT place to bring my 3 year old, they'll obviously have a great kids menu!"

Okay, enough about questionable parents, on with the show!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #97
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Flying Fish

Prior to tonight, Geoff's only Signature experience at WDW was at Jiko last October...and it was a total flop. I was really hoping that the Flying Fish (which I haven't been at in years because I thought it out priced itself) would make up for it. He has eaten at Napa Rose, and to date, it's been the best Disney Dining Experience I've ever had, so Flying Fish had a lot to live up to.

We arrived and they had the check-in desk outside. I get that they do this to alleviate how many people are standing inside the small lobby of the restaurant, but it was hot out. And we were all looking pretty. And there was a woman there who had 3 large parties, she checked in for all 3, but only 2 were actually there. And the CM's were trying to sort it out as she kept coming up and interrupting me as I was trying to check in. Obnoxious, no? But the CM was trying to be as gracious as possible and eventually we got checked in and were told to go directly inside, our table was ready.

When we got inside, there was more drama with the obnoxious lady and we were ignored for a while. I finally realized that there was a miscommunication from outside to inside, so I spoke up and let them know that we were here and told to come inside. More drama with the obnoxious lady (seriously, it was getting ridiculous.) And finally the one CM looked at the other and said, "I'm going to seat this group, if she comes back with her group, I'll be right back." And we finally got seated (it only took about 5 or 6 minutes, it was just annoying to be pushed to the side because this lady wanted to be the center of the universe and was disorganized.) And once we were seated, she chased down the CM that was seating us with her group to tell her they were all there, and they stood over our table like we stole it....they had more people than we had seats. I don't know what her deal was, but this wasn't starting off great for the Flying Fish. Luckily, they sat that group far far away from us!!

Anyway, once that was straightened out, things improved drastically!

We had an excellent waiter who came over without hesitation to introduce himself. He was from Brazil. When my Dad was in the Navy, he spent a year in Brazil, which got the waiter talking.

The first order of business was obviously deciding on what to drink.

I decided to have a wine flight. We were heading out to Jellyrolls after this, so I thought this would be a great way linger over wine throughout the meal.

My recent obsession with wine is Chenin Blanc. I love dry, crisp, fruity white wines (a la Pinot Grigio, Pinto Gris, Savingion Blanc, etc) so this was a lot of fun for me to try a bunch of new Chenin Blancs! When the wine is brought out to you, you get a card to remind you what wines you're drinking:

And the Wine Flight itself:

Geoff decided to follow my lead, but he decided to go with his recent obsession, Pinot Noir. I can't drink reds (migraines) so whenever we're out, he tends to get red wine.

I didn't take a picture of his.

Both my Mom & Dad got martinis to start off. Both very dry, my Mom's with Blue Cheese stuffed olives, my Dad's with normal olives. I just took a picture of my Mom's

With drinks settled, we turned our attention to the menus. I noticed this printed on the bottom, which I thought was a nice touch for Memorial Day weekend:

For appetizers, Geoff, my Dad, & I split the cheese plate. Which I promptly forgot to take a picture of, my bad! But I remembered half way through, sorry for the half-eaten appetizer pictures coming up!

Cheeses on my plate:

I had the stinky cheese all to myself Neither Geoff or my Dad like stinky cheese, so I win there! I thought the assortment of cheese was nice, it was good to split since we all had our favorites. We all like cheese straight up with just a cracker and not the sides of fig, honey, etc, so those are a little lost on us...oh well.

My Mom had the buffalo mozzarella and tomato salad:

She loves these kinds of salads, but no one else in the family is wild about tomatoes, so she likes to get them when she sees it on the menu. She loved the flavor on it, but thought it was a little salty. She did mention that she hardly ever uses salt, so that could be why. She also said that the balsamic flavor was outstanding and she thinks it could have been the salt. All in all, she really liked it and was glad she got it.

A quick picture of the ceiling of the restaurant before we move on to the main courses:

And now time for our entrees!

My Mom's dish (All Ear's Menu descriptions after the pictures!)

Our Signature Flying Fish Café "Potato-wrapped Red Snapper" - Leek Fondue with a Veal Glace, Red Wine, and Cassis Butter $36.00

She gets this everytime they go, she really loves it. That night was no exception!

My Dad's dish:

Oak-grilled Loch Duart Scottis Salmon - Farmer Lee's Winter Crop Root Vegetables and Wilted Greens, and Truffled Florida Citrus and Vermon Butter Emulsion $36.00

I didn't get his take on it, but his plate was clear, so I think he liked it!

Geoff's Dish:

Citrus, Sesame, and Szechuan Pepper-crusted Yellowfin Tuna - Bok Choy, Tiny Carrots, Lotus Root, Snap Peas, and Honshemeji Mushrooms with an Herbaceous, Coconut, Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime, Butter, and Ginger-laced Broth $37.00

Geoff liked his dish as well. He's not big into seafood, so he wasn't wild about going here (I told him he could get the steak, but he got tuna instead...) It was cooked perfectly.

And I got the chef's special that night:

I thought it was fantastic. I had never really had bass before, so I was branching out a bit, but it was moist and delicious. I really can't fault this dish at all.

Lastly it was time for dessert:

Nothing really was jumping out at me, so I skipped dessert. I really wanted chocolate ice cream, but they only had vanilla (I almost went next door, but then decided chocolate ice cream and booze at Jellyrolls wasn't a good combination...)

Geoff got the thai-chili dessert:

Our waiter was funny. He warned him that it was spicy. And Geoff was like, "well yeah, it has thai-chili in it." Apparently people send it back because it's spicy. ....it's SPICY. Geoff was even surprised at how spicy it was. He loved it though!

My Dad went the safe route and got the sorbet:

All in all we had a fantastic meal. The service was fantastic and the food was wonderful. Besides the incident at the beginning (which was more the fault of the crazy lady and not Flying Fish) we had a perfect meal. I will say Napa Rose still holds the number 1 spot, but I've at least convinced Geoff that dining at Disney can be fantastic and there's a reason I rave about certain restaurants
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #98
Rox.jea
Mouseketeer

When I first booked our ADRs, I had booked just Geoff & I for lunch at Brown Derby. But the more I read and stalked the menu, the more I wasn't feeling it.

I just wanna say LMAO!!!! Love it! I can understand, I have been checking the boards & getting so into it! hahaha!!! Guess it's easy if you love thinking about vacation, like us!!!!!!!!!
The cobb salad is the only thing that draws me to Brown Derby by the way. It does look good. But, I think, expensive for a salad.
Great Review!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #99
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I really want to try that crossiant bread pudding, I keep hearing good things about it. I have Kouzzina for breakfast on my Epcot morning, but maybe I'll get that for my morning snack.

That chili dessert at Flying Fish is beautiful. How can people not know that something with chili in it would be at least a little bit spicy? I've had chocolate desserts with chili before, which have been good, but definatly have a bite to them.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #100
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

cheese boards are the best - especially with a familly where everyone has different likes and dislikes!
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #101
Euphoria027
Mouseketeer

Mmmmmmm, everything about your Flying Fish review makes me want to try it SO BADLY. Except for the obnoxious lady. This is like, the main reason I don't work at Disney and just go there and have fun. I would get fired in 2 seconds for snapping at someone like that. I'm glad she didn't ruin your experience though!
Euphoria027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #102
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong though, Yeehaa Bob does 2 shows each night, with the first being more "family friendly" than the second, right?
Yes, he does two shows, but I can't compare them -- I've never been able to stay up late enough to see the second one! The first is definitely very family friendly.

Quote:
Luckily, they sat that group far far away from us!!
That sounds just like a quote from "Fiddler on the Roof". Someone asked the village rabbi if there was a proper prayer for the Tsar, and he replied, "May God bless and keep the Tsar......far away from us!"

I'm glad your meal at the Flying Fish was so good!

What was with that obnoxious lady? Why would she expect to be seated if not everyone was there yet?
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #103
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've never been to Flying Fish (we keep being encouraged by a "certain DISer" to give it a whirl). I think my DH would like the snapper (I'll have to show him the pics tonight).
Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #104
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox.jea View Post
When I first booked our ADRs, I had booked just Geoff & I for lunch at Brown Derby. But the more I read and stalked the menu, the more I wasn't feeling it.

I just wanna say LMAO!!!! Love it! I can understand, I have been checking the boards & getting so into it! hahaha!!! Guess it's easy if you love thinking about vacation, like us!!!!!!!!!
The cobb salad is the only thing that draws me to Brown Derby by the way. It does look good. But, I think, expensive for a salad.
Great Review!!!
Yeah...and now I'm rethinking my ADR's for my September trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
I really want to try that crossiant bread pudding, I keep hearing good things about it. I have Kouzzina for breakfast on my Epcot morning, but maybe I'll get that for my morning snack.

That chili dessert at Flying Fish is beautiful. How can people not know that something with chili in it would be at least a little bit spicy? I've had chocolate desserts with chili before, which have been good, but definatly have a bite to them.
Most people are dense, that's why The croissant pudding would be great for a mid-morning snack, it's not very heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
cheese boards are the best - especially with a familly where everyone has different likes and dislikes!
And where I can steal all the stink cheese!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria027 View Post
Mmmmmmm, everything about your Flying Fish review makes me want to try it SO BADLY. Except for the obnoxious lady. This is like, the main reason I don't work at Disney and just go there and have fun. I would get fired in 2 seconds for snapping at someone like that. I'm glad she didn't ruin your experience though!
Hah,I hear you !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Yes, he does two shows, but I can't compare them -- I've never been able to stay up late enough to see the second one! The first is definitely very family friendly.

That sounds just like a quote from "Fiddler on the Roof". Someone asked the village rabbi if there was a proper prayer for the Tsar, and he replied, "May God bless and keep the Tsar......far away from us!"

I'm glad your meal at the Flying Fish was so good!

What was with that obnoxious lady? Why would she expect to be seated if not everyone was there yet?
I don't know, the thing is, she had 3 different groups and two of the groups were there in full. I don't know why you would check in the third group when not one person from that group was there. Doesn't make any sense to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
We've never been to Flying Fish (we keep being encouraged by a "certain DISer" to give it a whirl). I think my DH would like the snapper (I'll have to show him the pics tonight).
You should definitely try it!!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #105
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

September Trip

For those of you who don't know, I'm going down and doing a solo trip in September...I'm stealing the idea from Norybell to escape wedding planning for WDW

It's only a short little weekend trip, Friday through Sunday. Right now I have Bistro booked on Friday with just me and California Grill on Saturday night, with my parents driving up to join me.

I'm getting the itch to change the reservations....I also don't leave until 5pm on Sunday and I was thinking of either doing a breakfast or the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

So the thing with Bistro de Paris is that Epcot has EMH that evening. I was thinking of doing the tasting menu with the wine pairings (totally blowing my pre-wedding diet!) But as I mentioned in the FF post, I can't have red wine, so I'd ask them to pair just whites...A) Do you think they'd do it and B) Do you think it's worth it? The ADR is at 730, so I should be able to catch Illuminations from the restaurant, though it'd be nice to have a margarita and watch it from somewhere around the World Showcase, right? (I'm staying at BLT, so drinking = not a problem as I'm right on the monorail.) So do I keep my ADR for back-up, I mean I can always cancel it the day of if I change my mind right?

And then Cali Grill...I'm not terribly fond of this place to be honest. I think it's noisy and I've never had an outstanding meal here. I'm in no rush to return (it's been a few years!) but figure since I'm staying right there, it'd be the perfect time to give it a try, right? This one is at 730 too, no fireworks that night to my knowledge. The MK closes at 7 for Night of Joy.

*sigh...what do you all think??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: