Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #106
bdink921
DIS Veteran

I love your report on the Sci-Fi Drive In -- we want to try that next time we go. There will be 7 of us though. Do the seats in the cars fit 3 across (3,9,6)? The kids will love the cars and the movies -- looks like a great place to cool off and take a break during the heat.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #107
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitster View Post
Your trip reports always brighten my day, but this one was especially awesome for me because, last May, my family and I were the newbies! The only difference between the average newcomer and I was that I did live on the disboards for a full year before our trip, so I was a (sort of) smart newbie - and the things I learned here saved me quite a few times!

I found myself getting teary as you described the emotions of a newbie seeing the castle for the first time. When we walked down Main Street on our first day at MK, my husband, who deeply appreciated my year of planning and researching, turned to me and said, "There it is honey - your castle." and I cried like a baby!

Should you ever find yourself in need of a good laugh at the expense of an overwhelmed WDW first timer, take a gander at my trip report blog. I'm too embarrassed to make an actual TR thread because we made so very many rookie mistakes and I don't want them on display on the dis. lol http://grammyandthegangwdw.wordpress.com of course, being a blog, you'd have to read from back to front.
Clearly I wasn't very interested in my budget as I just burned the last hour reading your blog. So you made some rookie mistakes. I'm sure you have beat yourself up over that more than you should have. I was sad with you looking at Crystal Palace, regret in your heart. No need to regret. You took your kids to WDW at the perfect age, despite having a baby. You did awesome. Super OOper DUPER better than all the parents who simply give up before even making it out their own front door.

Disney World is for real, dedicated parents. My mom says she likes to go because it restores her faith in dads. She says you hear on the news about dads leaving their kids with nothing, child abuse, mulitple affairs, molesting, and on and on. You can start to think that men are just losers. And then she goes to WDW and says, "Nope. There are a lot of amazing dads out there."

Sounds like your Kevin is a great dad. My mom would be proud.

Your biggest mistake, in my opinion was telling your kids about pins. Pin trading is not for newbies. As you clearly found out. Kids immediately take to it and you lose all control. Do NOT tell them about Vinylmations. Oy!

Bay Lake Tower sounded fantastic! I laughed right out loud at you walking into AKL to take the boat to MK. And I giggled for several minutes about Kevin getting his nipple bit. Almost read that outloud to Donald but it was gonna need too much of an explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdink921 View Post
I love your report on the Sci-Fi Drive In -- we want to try that next time we go. There will be 7 of us though. Do the seats in the cars fit 3 across (3,9,6)? The kids will love the cars and the movies -- looks like a great place to cool off and take a break during the heat.
Really, only two will fit. we tried three once and it led to the great milkshake spill of '08, never to be forgotten nor forgiven. But you can see a full car in my pictures. And sitting by yourself just won't matter here as it isn't about interaction, it's about no interaction. 7 will be no problem.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #108
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Ok, I can't stand it. I've been pondering your trip, knitster, and I do have some advice for your next trip. Hope this is ok and not too bossy as it seemed to me that more than anything else your mornings stressed you out. Maybe you followed these rules but I'll just put them down in case not.

How to get out the door in less than 3-4 hours in the morning:

1) On your arrival day, plan to be in your hotel room for the night by 8 pm. You'll need the time to get organized. (I know you didn't do this one. )
2) Bags & strollers & shoes should be packed up the night before and placed in a "staging zone."
3) Children are not allowed to take things from the staging zone.
4) Clothing is packed (including socks and undies and hair ties) in big Ziploc baggies. The night before the next day's clothing bag is sat out (so 5 baggies.) Yes, adults too, though I just do our tshirts. These should be labelled with the names so grammy or Kevin can help without destroying anything.
5) One person is the breakfast person. They get coffee for everyone before getting ready themselves. Yup, just go down looking all shabby with those refillable mugs cause everyone down there looks shabby too. Then they get ready and either they, or someone else, goes back down to get a tray full of breakfast and this is brought back to the room where the kids eat it while sitting on the bed watching cartoons in their jammies while the adults get ready. This gives the feel to the kids that there is a leisurely pace, when in reality you are controlling the time.

Here is the logic to keep in mind. Just like at Fountainview Cafe and the woman trying all the flavors, choices take a tremendous amount of time. All of kid's choices have to be made at home during the packing phase. Once at WDW, limit choices in the extreme. They are time suckers and actually stress kids out. You just tell them what is next. If they get their heart set on something they can see (like Stitch) then that is fine. It's not a decision, it's spontaneous. But the moment that it is done, you are directing them again to the next thing. This cuts down on fits in a HUGE way.

We also have a kid's choice day. This day is annoying for we adults as there are 7 kids and they never want to do one single thing the same. Kids choice day is when you hear me complaining about walking back across the park so Jack-Jack can do peter pan again or Donald and I being forced to split up and go to totally different parks because Mulan and Ariel can't even agree on which parks to visit on kid's choice day, let alone attractions. But knowing they can choose to do something on a set day gives you the total freedom to say no to any and every thing. Because when it is their day, they can decide how important that attraction is to them. 9 times out 10 they don't pick it on their choice. Generally they choose to re-do favorites they've already done.

That's the explanation of why between the hours of 7-9am my kids have absolutely no choices put in front of them. If they are awake I MIGHT ask them "Mickey waffle or eggs?" on my way to get breakfast, but not normally. Normally I just bring back a selection (and extra bacon, always extra bacon.)

You get what you get and you don't throw a Boma fit.

Hope that helps for next time!

Oh, and one more thing, I woulda just nursed the baby as I walked into 1900 Park Faire. Course, I'm the woman that got exposed at Nine Dragons while nursing, so clearly I have no shame.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #109
knitster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
Clearly I wasn't very interested in my budget as I just burned the last hour reading your blog. So you made some rookie mistakes. I'm sure you have beat yourself up over that more than you should have. I was sad with you looking at Crystal Palace, regret in your heart. No need to regret. You took your kids to WDW at the perfect age, despite having a baby. You did awesome. Super OOper DUPER better than all the parents who simply give up before even making it out their own front door.

Disney World is for real, dedicated parents. My mom says she likes to go because it restores her faith in dads. She says you hear on the news about dads leaving their kids with nothing, child abuse, mulitple affairs, molesting, and on and on. You can start to think that men are just losers. And then she goes to WDW and says, "Nope. There are a lot of amazing dads out there."

Sounds like your Kevin is a great dad. My mom would be proud.
Kevin is an amazing father, it's true. I couldn't ask for anything more for my kids

Quote:
Your biggest mistake, in my opinion was telling your kids about pins. Pin trading is not for newbies. As you clearly found out. Kids immediately take to it and you lose all control. Do NOT tell them about Vinylmations. Oy!
Oh the pins. The pins! I hated those pins from the moment the lanyards went around their necks. And they loooooooove them. They still take them out and look at them and talk about pin trading on our next trip. And now Kevin wants to pin trade, too! Noooooo!

Quote:
Bay Lake Tower sounded fantastic! I laughed right out loud at you walking into AKL to take the boat to MK. And I giggled for several minutes about Kevin getting his nipple bit. Almost read that outloud to Donald but it was gonna need too much of an explanation.
I cannot even tell you how stupid I felt in that moment. It was definitely the moment that I realized that all the planning in the world cannot truly make you familiar with a place that you've never stepped foot in.

And to this day, almost a year later, the nipple bite is brought up on at least a weekly basis. Possibly the funniest thing that happened the entire trip! HA!

Quote:
Ok, I can't stand it. I've been pondering your trip, knitster, and I do have some advice for your next trip. Hope this is ok and not too bossy as it seemed to me that more than anything else your mornings stressed you out. Maybe you followed these rules but I'll just put them down in case not.

How to get out the door in less than 3-4 hours in the morning:

1) On your arrival day, plan to be in your hotel room for the night by 8 pm. You'll need the time to get organized. (I know you didn't do this one. )
2) Bags & strollers & shoes should be packed up the night before and placed in a "staging zone."
3) Children are not allowed to take things from the staging zone.
4) Clothing is packed (including socks and undies and hair ties) in big Ziploc baggies. The night before the next day's clothing bag is sat out (so 5 baggies.) Yes, adults too, though I just do our tshirts. These should be labelled with the names so grammy or Kevin can help without destroying anything.
5) One person is the breakfast person. They get coffee for everyone before getting ready themselves. Yup, just go down looking all shabby with those refillable mugs cause everyone down there looks shabby too. Then they get ready and either they, or someone else, goes back down to get a tray full of breakfast and this is brought back to the room where the kids eat it while sitting on the bed watching cartoons in their jammies while the adults get ready. This gives the feel to the kids that there is a leisurely pace, when in reality you are controlling the time.

Here is the logic to keep in mind. Just like at Fountainview Cafe and the woman trying all the flavors, choices take a tremendous amount of time. All of kid's choices have to be made at home during the packing phase. Once at WDW, limit choices in the extreme. They are time suckers and actually stress kids out. You just tell them what is next. If they get their heart set on something they can see (like Stitch) then that is fine. It's not a decision, it's spontaneous. But the moment that it is done, you are directing them again to the next thing. This cuts down on fits in a HUGE way.

We also have a kid's choice day. This day is annoying for we adults as there are 7 kids and they never want to do one single thing the same. Kids choice day is when you hear me complaining about walking back across the park so Jack-Jack can do peter pan again or Donald and I being forced to split up and go to totally different parks because Mulan and Ariel can't even agree on which parks to visit on kid's choice day, let alone attractions. But knowing they can choose to do something on a set day gives you the total freedom to say no to any and every thing. Because when it is their day, they can decide how important that attraction is to them. 9 times out 10 they don't pick it on their choice. Generally they choose to re-do favorites they've already done.

That's the explanation of why between the hours of 7-9am my kids have absolutely no choices put in front of them. If they are awake I MIGHT ask them "Mickey waffle or eggs?" on my way to get breakfast, but not normally. Normally I just bring back a selection (and extra bacon, always extra bacon.)

You get what you get and you don't throw a Boma fit.

Hope that helps for next time!

Oh, and one more thing, I woulda just nursed the baby as I walked into 1900 Park Faire. Course, I'm the woman that got exposed at Nine Dragons while nursing, so clearly I have no shame.
Fantastic advice! I set out to adhere to 90% of those rules - except we had breakfast groceries, so we didn't plan on getting breakfast from the resort. Of course, as you saw, planning to adhere to rules and adhering to rules are two different things and all my rules went out the window really early on.

My biggest obstacles to getting things done in a timely and organized fashion were the other two adults that I had in tow. Kevin is just laid back - really laid back - so even when he thinks he's hurrying, he's not. I've never seen that man speed up to do anything, so though he was willing to do what I wanted him to do - he wasn't doing it quickly. My mom, on the other hand, is a major control freak and likes to get up and get out the door. But, for some reason, she became a totally different person on this trip. Maybe because I did 100% of the planning, so she didn't feel the pressure to get things done? I don't know, but whatever the case may be, she was paying for the trip, so I felt like I could only push so far without causing major tension amongst the adults. I didn't say it in my blog, because she reads that (obviously), but I would've never canceled our Crystal Palace reservation, I would've never rushed out of MK with fireworks going off behind us, I would've made it to every rope drop, if it hadn't been for her - she was making those decisions and I felt like my hands were tied.

I love the idea of having a kids choice day! We'll definitely do that next time, now that my kids are more familiar with the parks and they know what they like and what they don't like.

I think another one of my big mistakes was giving the kids too much information about the parks before we got there and making promises I couldn't keep - such as "We WILL get you into Jedi Training Academy - no question!" or "We WILL meet Jessie! I will make that happen!" I couldn't make those things happen, so that lead to disappointment that could've been avoided if my kids hadn't known about them in advance. Of course, I thought I *could* make those things happen, because I was extremely naive. lol

And I'm really surprised that I didn't nurse and walk into 1900 Park Fare, to be honest. I think what stopped me is that I just had too much to carry and I couldn't balance it all. But I nursed darn near everywhere else in all of WDW. Though I mention it a lot on the blog, I don't mention it nearly as many times as it actually happened. lol

Lastly, because I can't let the picture just sit there without this being said - I've lost 37lbs since that awful picture was taken in front of the Castle. That shirt I'm wearing in the picture is now a tent on me - thank you weight watchers!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #110
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My mom, on the other hand, is a major control freak and likes to get up and get out the door. But, for some reason, she became a totally different person on this trip. Maybe because I did 100% of the planning, so she didn't feel the pressure to get things done? I don't know, but whatever the case may be, she was paying for the trip, so I felt like I could only push so far without causing major tension amongst the adults. I didn't say it in my blog, because she reads that (obviously), but I would've never canceled our Crystal Palace reservation, I would've never rushed out of MK with fireworks going off behind us, I would've made it to every rope drop, if it hadn't been for her - she was making those decisions and I felt like my hands were tied.

I think another one of my big mistakes was giving the kids too much information about the parks before we got there and making promises I couldn't keep - such as "We WILL get you into Jedi Training Academy - no question!" or "We WILL meet Jessie! I will make that happen!" I couldn't make those things happen, so that lead to disappointment that could've been avoided if my kids hadn't known about them in advance. Of course, I thought I *could* make those things happen, because I was extremely naive. lol

Lastly, because I can't let the picture just sit there without this being said - I've lost 37lbs since that awful picture was taken in front of the Castle. That shirt I'm wearing in the picture is now a tent on me - thank you weight watchers!
Ah yes, we change EVERYTHING when our parents come. My father walks like a sloth (this is not an exaggeration, just ask Donald about Spain) and my mom insists that she doesn't like fake water and fake trees and that everything in WDW is fake and she just wants to take it easy. But then when we are there the gorgeous not fake gardens and the not fake sunshine and the not water inspires her and she really does want to just run around with the kids and see everything.

Parents complicate matters. But, they also pay for trips. So have been there. Now I understand better why Crystal Palace made you so sad. I would have been sad too.

As for Weight Watchers, I didn't think anything negative about your pictures, though I did ponder how comfortable I would be in that bright yellow shirt you were forced to buy. I'm so pale I cannot even imagine. I even pondered whether I'd more uncomfortable with a spaghetti sauced breast or in a bright yellow shirt and thought I might pick the red breast! But regardless: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I just rejoined last week and am pretty sure I'll have lost a pound at weigh-in Thursday. I Weight Watchers. I had not one, but TWO turkey dinners this weekend, with all the fixings, and I'm still confident I lost a pound. Such a workable plan.

Now I'll just wait for your next WDW trip. You'll feel great about yourself in the pictures, maybe you can go super budget like Suzy and be totally in control of your whole trip, and you will get to see The Lion King and Nemo and, and, and. Though if you are thinking the baby will be easier, fat chance if you go in the next 2 years. Believe it or not, nursing babies are easier at WDW than toddlers who can escape and screech and refuse in all ways to sit in that stroller. You'll wistfully remember the days when you sat around nursing instead of chasing around like a maniac. Oh well, activity points I guess.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #111
knitster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ah yes, we change EVERYTHING when our parents come. My father walks like a sloth (this is not an exaggeration, just ask Donald about Spain) and my mom insists that she doesn't like fake water and fake trees and that everything in WDW is fake and she just wants to take it easy. But then when we are there the gorgeous not fake gardens and the not fake sunshine and the not water inspires her and she really does want to just run around with the kids and see everything.

Parents complicate matters. But, they also pay for trips. So have been there. Now I understand better why Crystal Palace made you so sad. I would have been sad too.

As for Weight Watchers, I didn't think anything negative about your pictures, though I did ponder how comfortable I would be in that bright yellow shirt you were forced to buy. I'm so pale I cannot even imagine. I even pondered whether I'd more uncomfortable with a spaghetti sauced breast or in a bright yellow shirt and thought I might pick the red breast! But regardless: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I just rejoined last week and am pretty sure I'll have lost a pound at weigh-in Thursday. I Weight Watchers. I had not one, but TWO turkey dinners this weekend, with all the fixings, and I'm still confident I lost a pound. Such a workable plan.

Now I'll just wait for your next WDW trip. You'll feel great about yourself in the pictures, maybe you can go super budget like Suzy and be totally in control of your whole trip, and you will get to see The Lion King and Nemo and, and, and. Though if you are thinking the baby will be easier, fat chance if you go in the next 2 years. Believe it or not, nursing babies are easier at WDW than toddlers who can escape and screech and refuse in all ways to sit in that stroller. You'll wistfully remember the days when you sat around nursing instead of chasing around like a maniac. Oh well, activity points I guess.
Oh man that yellow shirt is so hideous - and even worse now that it's 2 sizes too big! It makes for a fantastic laze around the house and hope no one knocks on the door shirt, though - it's quite comfy.

We definitely won't be going in the next two years - I have no doubt that nursing, sleeping in the stroller baby is a million times easier than mobile, opinionated toddler! We're actually going to Disneyland in '14 - a couple of weeks before he turns 4 - I can't wait!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #112
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh man that yellow shirt is so hideous - and even worse now that it's 2 sizes too big! It makes for a fantastic laze around the house and hope no one knocks on the door shirt, though - it's quite comfy.

We definitely won't be going in the next two years - I have no doubt that nursing, sleeping in the stroller baby is a million times easier than mobile, opinionated toddler! We're actually going to Disneyland in '14 - a couple of weeks before he turns 4 - I can't wait!
Oooo, then you might want to follow me to the Disneyland boards once I get going on that trip. We leave May 22nd.

Carsland will not be open when we are there, it opens a week and a half later. Since we don't have boys, we decided to go before the crowds. We won't care, as this is our first real trip to Disneyland so the new stuff won't be important to us. Though it would be nice if Buena Vista Street would open up a little bit just so we can see it versus walking around walls all week. But either way, we're pretty excited. For you, however, a 4 year old boy in Carsland???? Sounds awesome.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #113
Torrance
Earning My Ears

Hi Perla! I'm getting caught up with your recent posts, and just wanted to say that I'm glad you're back! Your recommendations are so helpful, and I'm writing them down to remember for our upcoming trip (we visit DL often, but WDW will be a bit of a change for us ). So, THANKS for sharing all the advice!

Currently Planning: Jul '14 My Birthday Bash at DL, Jan '14 DL Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon,Dec '13 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Sep '13 "Girls Only" DL Trip, Dec '12 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Jun '12 Honeymoon at WDW! Sep '11 Married at DL! Jun '11 DL, Aug '10 DL, Jun '10 "Engagaversary" at DL! Pre-'10 Numerous Family DL Trips.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #114
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance View Post
Hi Perla! I'm getting caught up with your recent posts, and just wanted to say that I'm glad you're back! Your recommendations are so helpful, and I'm writing them down to remember for our upcoming trip (we visit DL often, but WDW will be a bit of a change for us ). So, THANKS for sharing all the advice!
Thanks! Any DL tips you can share back?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #115
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Sleep in Day!!! Really for us it's not a sleep in day. Once you're used to getting up at 5 or 6 am because you're so excited to be at Disney World, then sleeping in isn't very sleepy. For us, sleep in day is more about just taking a break from stimulation and calming down.

I was awake at 7am. Had my yummy almond croissant and coffee. Mmmmm. It was delish. I texted work, wrote my TR notes from the day before. The kids swam. Everyone showered. It was very leisurely. We had lunch and we played pool. It was lovely.

The most eventful thing that happened was we were all in the family room watching Gordon Ramsay and I switched to Made on Mtv. I don't remember what the Made was but it was about a teenager and was child appropriate. Well, I got distracted by some situation and left and everyone else evidently got up and left too. Suzy comes into the family room, perhaps 30 minutes later and only Charming was in there playing Civ on the computer. On the tv was a VERY not appropriate Mtv programming. You can imagine. Needless to say, I heard quite the earful about leaving the tv on Mtv and walking away with a houseful of kids. Oopsie.

We can only take so much relaxing, our family, when we are that close to Disney World. We had putzed. And we LOVE WDW. So we'd rather putz at WDW than putz at a rental house. So we left the house at 12:30.

As is our usual on our World Showcase day, the first hour or so some adult was fighting with Buzz about it not being Future World day. His Aspergers makes him screen (tv, video games, computers, etc) focused. And to walk past some of the coolest screens in the world to wander aimlessly through fake countries is not his cup of tea. But it's World Showcase day. Everyone gets their turn. And tonight is Milo's. Cooperate.

Despite our hard line (absolutely do NOT asking about Innovations again), Suzy and I decided to get secret FP's to one Future World attraction. Soarin' was on our short list, but it was for 8:40 so we got Test Track instead which was for 6:30.

I looked for Crocs but none were the right size. While I was getting the secret FP's and looking for Crocs (the Crocs were my cover) the rest of the group went into Club Cool. Gotta get Emmy into Club Cool, of course. I met up with them in Canada where they were in the store doing a scavenger hunt. We had perfect timing as we walked into O Canada. 60 seconds before the next show. 1:55 p.m. Not too shabby for a sleep in day.

I've seen it lots & since we were into chilling, I just sat down. I could still see some and I didn't mind not seeing every image. Boo sat with me.

Off Kilter was to start in 13 minutes. So Emmy and I headed off to France to get my must have drink of the trip: Grand Marnier smoothie.

While we were in line there was this super hot guy. But I'm not single, ya know, so I had not noticed and was in my own universe. But Emmy couldn't take it any more and punched me. That did get my attention and looked up slightly confused and THEN I noticed him. And, since I'm not really a subtle person, I said, "Well, hello." Which absolutely cracked her up.

Which laughing was good as it was SOOOO HOT on our walk back to Canada that without her giggling I may never have made it. I may have melted right there & then. The benches at Off Kilter were so hot they would burn your skin. Yikes! We finally found our own shade and settled to enjoy the show.

You can see here that Milo is sitting right at the edge of the shade where the seat becomes so hot, no one is sitting.

It was a lovely set. They did a Chuck Barry song. Which caused some confusion since clearly he's not Canadian with Emmy. But they just play rock in general in a folksie Canadian kind of way. Not just Canadian rock turned Canadian folk. With my drink and sitting and the shade, I was feeling pretty good.

So we headed into UK to meet Pooh and Tigger. There was no one in there so Emmy (who's AFRAID, don't forget, of characters) decided to just kind of hide behind me and watch from the other room. It was a good plan, in theory.

But what actually happened ended up being Donald's very favorite moment of the entire trip. And Emmy's least favorite. Here's the set-up of the moment. If you've never been in here, this is the toy store in UK. Off the back is the cute little room. The line is in the store part where there also is the Kidcot table. And then the little room has a door to the left, like a closet door, that you cannot see from the Kidcot room where you are in line. I was standing right between these two rooms and Emmy was behind me in the Kidcot room looking in. Which put the closet door out of her sight.

Pooh was the only character in there. And he really isn't very frightening at all, being a teddy bear and all. Even Boo when she was terrified of characters and would scream and scream, was almost interested in hugging Pooh. So Emmy thought this would be a good starting point for her phobia. A harmless Pooh. Boo went to hug him and Emmy admitted the specialness of the moment.

And then as I'm watching through my camera screen, Emmy screams behind me. Sincerely, it was a scream. An adult, I've just seen something terrifying scream, in a tiny little UK store. Here is is the terrifying scene that frightened her:

Yup. That caused a grown woman to scream. When I turned to look at her she said, through her fear, "Did you see that? Tigger just sprung out of nowhere! Did you see that?"

Well, you can imagine that this caused Donald and I to laugh a little bit.

Boo was oblivious to the beginning of commotion that was happening in the Kidcot area and was just excited to show Tigger her Figment.

While the above three harmless photos were being taken, the good looking foreign guy who was running the meet and greet (not British by look or accent but perhaps had come to America via Britain? Not sure how that worked) thought Emmy to be intriguing and her scream had gotten his attention even more. So he asked her to come in and told her he'd personally take her photo with Pooh. She said, quietly, "They make me nervous."

The girl running the Kidcot station then said, "Now you've done it, you shouldn't have told him that. Now you'll never escape." Do that in your best cockney, as she was very British.

And true to her word, he had no intention of letting Emmy get away unscathed.

The little door Tigger came out of & he and Pooh trying to decide if they were going to attack Emmy.

While this conversation was going on, Jack-Jack had arrived and took his opportunity to get some hugs:

Really, Pooh and Tigger speak more than you think characters who can't speak will be able to speak.

And Boo was behind me working on the Kidcot project:

As soon as the hugs were done and Jack and Buzz moved on, Tigger had thought it over and decided that he agreed and Emmy must be pursued. Her hand was grabbed (by the good looking guy) and she was dragged this far into the room and Tigger, according to her version of this story, attacked her.

Buzz gives her a little shove to make sure she is good and hugged, and Pooh looks on approvingly, or is it disapprovingly? It's hard to tell.

She's laughing, but you can see she's still trying to escape.

Kinda posed for Photopass photographer, but also not really.

Tigger kissed her hand as an acknowledgement that she had been a good sport:

After the trauma of Tigger, Pooh was nothing:

After seeing the photos, she admitted it was almost, kind of OK. But not really. And she also was horrified by how sweaty and nasty she was. So we agreed to pursue some air conditioning next. It was HOT!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #116
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Hilarious. Absolutely Hilarious. Poor Emmy. But seriously funny
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #117
Torrance
Earning My Ears

Oh, poor Emmy! She looks quite scared -- but I'm glad she toughed it out. Those pictures were too funny (especially Pooh and Tigger's "excitement" at meeting Emmy... Pooh did look a bit smug in some of them ). The little kids look like they're having a great time saying hello to Pooh and Tigger though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead
Thanks! Any DL tips you can share back?
With kids it's different than just adults (as we found out last September when our niece and nephew were with us for part of our trip ), so I might not be too helpful. We'll often skip the things that aren't our favorites, or have what we think is too long of a wait (lines for characters being one of those), since we're usually able to make it back for the attractions that we missed later in the trip or on our next annual trip. So, with that disclaimer about our touring "style," one thing that we try to do at least once on each trip is head immediately to Adventureland right at park opening. We're often able to get quite a bit done - usually either a walk-on or very short wait for Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain (or just FPs immediately for it so that we can get Space Mountain FPs asap that morning too), then head to Big Thunder Mountain - just as folks finishing up with Fantasyland are headed into Adventureland/Frontierland. We'll usually do a Fantasyland EMH morning the first day, then an Adventureland morning the second day, etc.

There's a lot of great advice over on the DL boards that I know you're already checking out, but I'll try to think of more things that always seem to work for us at DL too if you'd like.

Looking forward to more updates!

Currently Planning: Jul '14 My Birthday Bash at DL, Jan '14 DL Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon,Dec '13 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Sep '13 "Girls Only" DL Trip, Dec '12 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Jun '12 Honeymoon at WDW! Sep '11 Married at DL! Jun '11 DL, Aug '10 DL, Jun '10 "Engagaversary" at DL! Pre-'10 Numerous Family DL Trips.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #118
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Hilarious. Absolutely Hilarious. Poor Emmy. But seriously funny
It might be mean spirited, but it was REALLY funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance View Post
Oh, poor Emmy! She looks quite scared -- but I'm glad she toughed it out. Those pictures were too funny (especially Pooh and Tigger's "excitement" at meeting Emmy... Pooh did look a bit smug in some of them ). The little kids look like they're having a great time saying hello to Pooh and Tigger though!

With kids it's different than just adults (as we found out last September when our niece and nephew were with us for part of our trip ), so I might not be too helpful. We'll often skip the things that aren't our favorites, or have what we think is too long of a wait (lines for characters being one of those), since we're usually able to make it back for the attractions that we missed later in the trip or on our next annual trip. So, with that disclaimer about our touring "style," one thing that we try to do at least once on each trip is head immediately to Adventureland right at park opening. We're often able to get quite a bit done - usually either a walk-on or very short wait for Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain (or just FPs immediately for it so that we can get Space Mountain FPs asap that morning too), then head to Big Thunder Mountain - just as folks finishing up with Fantasyland are headed into Adventureland/Frontierland. We'll usually do a Fantasyland EMH morning the first day, then an Adventureland morning the second day, etc.

There's a lot of great advice over on the DL boards that I know you're already checking out, but I'll try to think of more things that always seem to work for us at DL too if you'd like.

Looking forward to more updates!
That's good advice, do Adventureland first one day and Fantasyland first another.

I think I'm going to get Ridemax, but I'm waiting until a bit closer to the trip once May hours, shows, and parades are officially released.

We are also really hoping for a soft opening of Matterhorn. I'm telling my kids it will be 100% closed so there won't be disappointing. It officially opens June 15th so I'm not sure if 3 weeks out is way too much to ask. But it's such a DL icon and this will be the only time we take our girls to DL. They'll have to do it as adults if it isn't open this trip. Donald and I did it 2 years ago. It's not that it's the most amazing ride, it's that it feels like DL. Oh well.

And yes, we're checking out the DL board and their suggestions of other boards. But it's not the same as a friend giving you advice.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #119
knitster
DIS Veteran

Was the CM really tall with brown hair? I'm almost positive he's the same CM that we met in that same store who had a full on sword fight with my kids that ended with him sprawled out on the ground in that teeny, tiny store. He's from Canada but works in the UK pavilion and he explained to me why that was, but now I don't remember. I bet that was him, though, he was hilarious - and cute!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #120
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Was the CM really tall with brown hair? I'm almost positive he's the same CM that we met in that same store who had a full on sword fight with my kids that ended with him sprawled out on the ground in that teeny, tiny store. He's from Canada but works in the UK pavilion and he explained to me why that was, but now I don't remember. I bet that was him, though, he was hilarious - and cute!
He definitely had brown hair, but I don't really remember. I probably wouldn't have noticed him looks wise alone, but him not having a British accent & then his engaging personality made him stick out. I thought I'd have a picture of him since he was so involved in this moment, but somehow he didn't make it in any shots.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: