Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #76
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdink921 View Post
Converting my DH would be a major miracle ! What's he into ... Civil War artifact collecting, history stuff (we're going to Williamsburg, VA this summer, he'll be in heaven). He's not much into rides or heat for that matter. We always stay onsite b/c he always fizzles out and needs to go back to the room to nap, chill out which is fine with me. He can take Disney in small doses which is ok too. He really does love Epcot though, and we've never really spent alot of time in World Showcase, so that's a great option for him.
Have you been to Williamsburg before? We went a few summers ago and it was 106! So if he wilts in the heat, you may be surprised how little he enjoys Williamsburg.

I history. But as wonderful as Williamsburg was, I couldn't help wondering why on earth anyone had chosen to settle there. It's hot, humid, miserable. Only the water park saved us from being miserable.

That aside, if you buy the ticket that lets you in all the displays, the houses are air conditioned. Also, we did an evening dance program that was fantastic!

You could buy hoppers & do a few hours with him in the morning doing things you'll know he'll enjoy, then let him go back to "chill" and then spend every evening at World Showcase. Bet he'd start to be persuaded.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #77
bdink921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
Have you been to Williamsburg before? We went a few summers ago and it was 106! So if he wilts in the heat, you may be surprised how little he enjoys Williamsburg.

I history. But as wonderful as Williamsburg was, I couldn't help wondering why on earth anyone had chosen to settle there. It's hot, humid, miserable. Only the water park saved us from being miserable.

That aside, if you buy the ticket that lets you in all the displays, the houses are air conditioned. Also, we did an evening dance program that was fantastic!

You could buy hoppers & do a few hours with him in the morning doing things you'll know he'll enjoy, then let him go back to "chill" and then spend every evening at World Showcase. Bet he'd start to be persuaded.

We've never been to Williamsburg before, but walked all over DC last summer at around the same time -- end of June. Very hot but I loved DC . I think he'll suffer the heat for the history though -- he has such a passion for it, especially Civil War. We are getting the bounce pass so we'll have the water park to look forward to. I'm sure we'll be getting whatever ticket lets us into everything because he'll want to see as much as possible. It's just not as fun as a WDW trip to plan.

Park hoppers will definitely be a must for us this next trip. Resort is a huge choice too. He likes WL so we'll do maybe 2 nights there -- too pricey for a week. Then we're choosing between POR and Swan/Dolphin. I can get a nurse rate at S/D but am really not that crazy about the hotels themselves. Love the location though. There's just something about POR that I really like...decisions, decisions...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #78
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdink921 View Post
We've never been to Williamsburg before, but walked all over DC last summer at around the same time -- end of June. Very hot but I loved DC . I think he'll suffer the heat for the history though -- he has such a passion for it, especially Civil War. We are getting the bounce pass so we'll have the water park to look forward to. I'm sure we'll be getting whatever ticket lets us into everything because he'll want to see as much as possible. It's just not as fun as a WDW trip to plan.

Park hoppers will definitely be a must for us this next trip. Resort is a huge choice too. He likes WL so we'll do maybe 2 nights there -- too pricey for a week. Then we're choosing between POR and Swan/Dolphin. I can get a nurse rate at S/D but am really not that crazy about the hotels themselves. Love the location though. There's just something about POR that I really like...decisions, decisions...
Ah yes, decisions. The boat ride to Downtown Disney from POR is lovely, as is the resort. But getting to the parks isn't as convenient. Does your dh like Downtown Disney? The Swan & Dolphin are in a wonderful location, wonderful. And if a person like escaping from Disney, it's a good choice for them. I liked the Dolphin a lot and would stay there anytime. And Milo loved it. Donald & Suzy were not a huge fans of being slightly outside of the magic.

We loved Williamsburg. It really is very fun. But it was hotter than any place I've ever been in my entire life, so I'm slightly tainted by that.

If you need to fill the time since there isn't anything to plan for Williamsburg, you could educate yourself on the woman of the civil war. Then as you wander about all week say things like, "In this book I was reading there was this woman named Jenny Blake who (fill in the story)" Just bombard him with women/women/women empowerment stories from the war. That way you can seem as though you are taking an interest in his interests (reading up on the civil war) but secretly be ruining it for him by making it about how awesome women are.

Then you can go to WDW at will.

I'm in a bit of mood tonight, as you can see. Sharing my secret tactics.

Coming up is a chapter not about our TR at all but a quick dining review that I'm hoping Suzy will pipe in on from a boy point of view on things I might have missed.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #79
estherhead
DIS Veteran

My opinions on sit down restaurants

This is my opinions, park by park, sit down places only. And they are not shared by the majority of Disboarders, nor even by all of my family.

AK:

Rainforest Cafe: never eaten at the AK one, but Suzy has. I like this restaurant, you can get deals since it's not Disney owned, an it's kids friendly as long as you don't have a kid terrified of thunder (Mulan is 11 and I swear still scarred from our DTD RC experience when she was a toddler.)

Tusker House: We've only done breakfast and we LOVE it. Love this place. The breakfast is basic enough for kids, but interesting enough for adults. The character interaction is wonderful. It's conveniently located so you can ride Dinosaur & EE in the a.m. and then grab safari FP's on your way in to your 10:30 ADR. Then you won't need lunch, just a snack. Great place for kids.

Yak and Yeti: We've never done it.

DHS

50's PrimeTime Cafe: There is not a member of our family who likes this place. The wait staff is funny. But Donald, Suzy, and Milo don't really enjoy that. And the food is not my cup of tea. I'm really good at home cooking and could make this stuff in my sleep. Therefore, my family didn't enjoy it. Even the sundae, which was cool, we'd rather just have caramel corn at Germany in Epcot and ice cream from, well, anywhere. It is a good place for kids.

Brown Derby: Too expensive & not really for kids. Never done it.

Hollywood and Vine: Never done it. The food gets terrible reviews and though we do love characters, food is important to us.

Mama Melrose's: Never done it. Had ADR's there once for the Fantasmic package but cancelled.

Sci-Fi Dine In: The food isn't amazing. But it's not expensive and it's great for kids. All 11 of us love this place except Donald who got a milkshake dumped on him here and can't get over it. Also, he feels the mushroom burger is dry. But I really enjoy this place a lot for burgers and fries.

Epcot:

Coral Reef: The majority of tables aren't right at the aquariums. And the aquarium isn't a giant wall but windows. So it doesn't have a lot of impact on most of the tables. It was neutral on whether it was good or bad for kids. And the food was neutral as well.

Garden Grill: We always want to go here, but never do.

Akershus: This is quickly becoming my favorite place in Epcot. The characters are great, the atmosphere is pretty, and I love the food. I've actually asked for a recipe from here and made it more than once. But it is VERY princessy. I'm only allowed to go because Jack-Jack loves princesses too. Or when we are without the Suzy clan.

Biergarten: I've never been, but Suzy has. She wasn't a fan. Shared tables and subpar food.

Chefs de France: My family loves this place, Suzy's wasn't thrilled. So maybe it's a girl thing? It's loud and good for kids, but it has a feel of fancy. So probably good for girl kids. I feel the food is very good.

La Hacienda de San Angel: Never been.

Le Cellier: We all love the food here, but it's not really a great place for kids. My girls do ok now that they are not babies. And they love the food.

Nine Dragons: This is ok for kids, but the food isn't great. And the tables are kinda crammed together. But it was ok.

Restaurant Marrakesh: This is the most disappointing restaurant in Epcot. It's beautiful, great for kids, and the menu reads well. But the food is below neutral. It's boring in the extreme and almost yucky. They just need consistently cooked, flavorful food and we'd go again. But until we hear that's happened, we're done going.

Rose and Crown: This is a great place, Milo's favorite. But the flavors are too British for kids. None of the kids like the food. But we like it enough we still make them go about every third trip.

San Angel Inn: We love this place, it's good for kids. It's also romantic. Which seriously, when does that ever happen?

Teppan Edo: We love this place. It's great for kids. Love it.

Tutto Italia: Never eaten there.

Via Napoli: Suzy has eaten here. Good for kids and they liked it.

MK:

Cinderella's Royal Table: We did this long ago when Mulan and Ariel were preschoolers. We really, really loved it. But it was the only in park princess meal at the time. Ever since Akershus came on board, we've not been back.

Crystal Palace: Love this place. Long ago, Pooh and friends were not my favorites. They were too gentle and not splashy enough for me. But then we went to lunch at Crystal Palace. The food is lovely. And a big hug from Winnie the Pooh simply brightens a persons day. It's a great building in a great spot. Great for kids, great food. And reasonable.

Liberty Tree Tavern: See my post for Prime Time. No way I'm paying $30 for turkey dinner. I can make it for $25 for 10 people at my house and we love mine. I know we'd be disappointed so we've never been. They used to have characters and we'd considered it.

Plaza: Never been, but I would.

Tony's Town Square: We've been once and enjoyed it. But it never woos me back when Crystal Palace is just right over there. It is a romantic place (not as romantic as San Angel) and good for kids. Which again, doesn't happen all that often.

And that's it for In Park Sit Down meals. These are just our opinions based on the following:

Suzy & I are both good cooks. So it has to be better than ours.

Price. If we have a dining package things take on a different meaning. But some places we've paid for out of our own pockets. Sci-Fi, Crystal Palace, Akershus, San Angel, Via Napoli, Rose and Crown, Tusker House, and Rainforest. Those are all worth what they are priced based on food, location, atmosphere, and entertainment. Teppan Edo is so close to being on the list but it's too expensive for us if not on DDP.

Kids: The kids have to like the food too. And we have to not be sh-shing them through dinner.

Taste: And obviously, taste. We really like steak, mexican food, strong flavors.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #80
graysmommy
Mouseketeer

VERY useful info! can't wait to hear Suzy's thoughts as I am a Mom of boys only too
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #81
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysmommy View Post
VERY useful info! can't wait to hear Suzy's thoughts as I am a Mom of boys only too
Yes, her opinions are definitely slightly different than mine, especially once we get to DTD & resort meals, which I'll do later.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #82
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Our house:

I went into the check-in place to get the keys to Disneyliscious. If you go to vrbo, it's number 318549. Not sure I'm allowed to link to someone selling something. But if you are interested in this place, I wanted you to be able to look at the official thing.

Anyway, once we got there, it really was only about 5-6 miles from Disney to this place but as I pointed out, I was CRANKY! we got the keys I put down my security deposit and we were off. We ordered pizza on our way back. There is a Pizza Hut pretty close to Windsor Hills that we frequent. But at first I called the one on the other side of WDW near Crossroads & gave them my order. Then had the intelligence to ask them if they were on 192, which they weren't. So I cancelled that. And reordered from the right one. Which bizarrely was $15.00 cheaper for the exact same thing. I'm not sure if the guy gave us a coupon or what but I found it weird that two Pizza Huts right next to each other would have that different of pricing. But I was thrilled with the cheaper price!

And then....

We walked into the house.

As I went in, for the first time ever, I remembered to take pictures before we destroyed it & yelled at the everyone "Don't TOUCH ANYTHING for a minute." Donald & Milo put all the kids to work unloading the vans into the lobby while I ran around and quickly took pictures. In advance, you're welcome. I'll let the pictures tell the story:

Donald & my room, upper floor, to the right of the stairs:

Ensuite bathroom:

Our girl's room, to the left of the stairs upstairs:

The kid's rooms bathroom:

Charming & Buzz's room, aren't they lucky?

Jack-Jack & McQueen's bedroom:

The above rooms are at the top of the stairs, if you turn left and turn left again there is a long hall, but it's open to the stairs below so it doesn't have a long hall depressing feel. They are on the right side down that hall. Once you are past the stairs and turn left, you came to Suzy & Milo's room. This set-up worked perfectly since we are divided girls & boys we were able to pick our suites based on the boy/girl rooms. But it wouldn't have mattered because they both were amazing rooms.

Here's the hall & Suzy walking away from her room towards ours:

Suzy & Milo's (clearly luggage had arrived by this picture):

Their bathroom (ours was the nicer bath):

The front door & dining room:

Other than walking through, we hardly used this room. If we were doing puzzles or playing board games, it would have been great. If my parents had been here, we would have eaten a few meals around it. But our Disney trips are about Disney. We didn't do any of those things.

This is the room we lived in:

Behind me in this picture is a big tv & Emmy's room and bathroom. Her bathroom was the main area's bathroom as well. At first we were using it when we were downstairs but a day in, we made a rule the kids had to go upstairs to use the potty as it was not a good idea for 7 kids (4 are boys!) to use a single adult woman's bathroom.

There also was a great pool. We pretty much lived at (in this order) Disney World, the kitchen/family room, the pool. That's a vacation.

Someone (not me) went and got the pizza while I cleaned up the nail polish. The van had gotten so hot inside that many nail polish containers had melted/exploded, something. There was polish everywhere in that bin. It cleaned up pretty well and didn't get on anything but the plastic container but man did it smell up our van!

After that Suzy, Emmy, and I wrote our grocery lists. The pizza came & I gulped down a piece. I annoyingly could not find a pen so onto my iphone my list went. It was ok, but not as good as pen and paper for a big vacation grocery list.

It was getting way late so we decided to just go to Winn Dixie Marketplace near our house. But sadly, the grapes were $2.89 per lb and the bananas $.69 per lb. That's fine for a few things, but not if you're trying to feed 12 people for a week. So back into the van we piled and off we went to the Walmart. I'd say it's 7 miles away. Way too far when you've spent the day at Magic Kingdom.

I spent $200.00 which is typical since we buy convenience foods and other things (like spritzer fans and Mickey ears) find their way into our carts. Suzy spent a bit more on something but I can't remember what. Suzy, do you remember this? I just remember you buying something cool & perhaps big ticket-ish? Emmy bought a bathing suit! It was so cute and she was thrilled to find a bathing suit she liked at Walmart. She also bought the tiniest amount of strange groceries I ever saw.

We didn't get back to the house until 9:15 p.m. It was all hands on deck to unload the van. It was absolute grocery mayhem! Chaos. But once it was all put away, Suzy & I were really happy with what we had bought. It was wonderful food.

I fell into bed at 10:58 (but not before breaking into the peanut butter M&M's) so very, very exhausted. It had been such a long 8 weeks and that night as my eyes quickly drooped, I knew it was going to be a great vacation. Two weeks of bliss ahead of me with all my favorite people on earth (remember, our parents were joining us the second week.) I slept like a rock.

Last edited by estherhead; 03-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #83
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Found pictures of what I just described!

Looking from the kitchen towards the tv & Emmy's room.

The luggage not allowed in rooms while I was taking pictures. Thank goodness my Donald is as good at unpacking as packing, he unpacked and organized these into drawers while I grocery shopped.:

The table where I put my stuff for the parks so it was always ready to go. See? My purse is already there.

The great pool with no cranky people in it. Well no OTHER cranky people it other than us:

LOVED THESE! LOVED LOVED! Ever since I've been trying to talk Donald into Samsung washer & dryer and he keeps protesting that buying Samsung washer and dryer is weird.

The pizza, it got scarfed down:

Awwww.... looks like someone is enjoying vaca.

The grocery chaos:

Next up: Our first now that I'm settled and actually feel like I'm on vacation.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #84
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

We LOVED, LOVED this house. It was configured perfectly for us. Perla and I absolutely could not find one thing we didn't like about it. We all had our own "wings" and the common areas were big enough for all of us. We made the rule quickly that the kids were not to hang out in each other's bedrooms so that they could all have their own "space" when needed and things wouldn't be lost. And there was a game room downstairs with lots of toys and games where the kids could gather together. (although, this was an irritation to Perla and I, because Jack Jack and Boo would dump all the bins of toys in there, and it was ALWAYS needing picked up).

OK, sorry I'm late to getting around to my opinions about Perla's restaurant primer. I only have one thing that I feel different about. I think at Epcot, Rose and Crown is much more kid friendly then San Angel Inn. Perla's kids eat spicy mexican food regularly but if your kids do not then there isn't much for them at San Angel Inn. However, you can get mashed potatoes, sausage, macaroni at Rose and Crown. Both atmosphere's are fine with children. So check out the menus and then decide which your family would enjoy more.

Also, I think I would be willing to pay OOP for Teppan Edo while Perla said no. We enjoyed it that much, and with kids, an adult and kid could share pretty easily. I've only done it with free dining so far, but would definitely keep it on my list even if I was paying.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #85
estherhead
DIS Veteran

The first morning of the rest of my life

I slept so well, but at 5 am I had to go & groggily wandered into my gigantic bathroom. I thought I'd fall right back to sleep considering how exhausted I had been at 11 pm. But I was at Disney World and once even a tiny bit awake, I couldn't fall asleep. I read, hoping that would help, but it didn't. So at 6:15 I got up and started on my day.

Heart so full of love to wake up to these cuties:

I made coffee and then french braided my hair. It is indeed a good style for adults at WDW as well as kids. I have to say I believe the french braid or double french braid to be the perfect summer theme park hair do. It's cool, it stays done, it looks like you care what you look like, and it can lean against the back of rides unlike a pony tail or clip.

Donald was next awake of my clan and he helped me figure out how to turn the main tv on and clean up a bit. Then we had breakfast. I made myself an egg bagel, which is a great way to start the morning. Eggbeaters in a small bowl sprayed with canola & sprinkled with salt and pepper. Into the microwave for a minute while you toast your bagel. A slice of sandwich ham & cheese. Put the egg on & wrap in a paper towel till it's melty. Yum, protein & filling. And only takes 2 minutes. I made them for kids later once they were awake too.

After Donald & my leisurely breakfast, we went up to get dressed, awaken the girls and do their hair. I fed Boo her breakfast bite by bite so she wouldn't get messy and she would eat it and not pick it apart. She is SO gross. I packed my official park bag for my first official day (I know we'd already been here two days, but it feels official when I'm fully unpacked.)

I couldn't believe how fast 8 am came! And Emmy couldn't either! She was shocked when what seemed like total mayhem at 7:30 am became a put together, fed, sunblocked, in the vans team at 8:00. She knew she'd have to bring her A game.

We were at the bag check at Epcot at 8:20 am. Very easy bag check, not as easy as the day before, but easy nonetheless. And then we got in the LONG pre-gate line. Welcome to summer crowds.

McQueen was CRANKY this morning. He had gotten all my cranky bugs from the night before and was not feeling it here at Epcot.

Look at all those people!

It was hot this day too, despite being 8:20 am. And I knew we wouldn't look better than we looked right then. And we were standing around doing nothing, thus the above family photo of us. So I wanted the Suzy clan to have a photo too. But McQueen said, "No Way." He was not going to get in a photo.

So I had a brainstorm and told him to forget the family photo. I was only going to take a picture of him. Just him. Because he's my favorite subject. Well, he is a middle child after all, just craving attention. And in addition to this, he was born to be in movies. So if it was just HIM, he'd get out of the stroller for a photo.

I give you: Charming:

Just kidding. It's McQueen. NOT Prince Charming.

Loosening up a little bit:

Oh yeah, I am the MASTER at getting McQueen to do what I want. Look, LOOK, I even got a smile:

The rope dropped and we were OFF. Suzy went to get Soarin' FP's with half the crowd and we went with the other half.

But it took her a LONG time to get the Soarin' FP's and the kids were completely stressed out by watching 10 minutes worth of people dash ahead of us onto Test Track. So Milo was like, "Where on earth have you been?" Which was NOT the right thing to say to a woman who has braved a stampede, crossed a park, gone down steps, stood in line with other crazy people, gone back up the steps, and recrossed a park in 100% humidity and 90 degree weather. If looks could kill! She was drenched in sweat.

It was 9:11 when we went into Test Track. Sweet, sweet air conditioning.

This time nothing crazy happened, thank goodness.

What wasn't good, was when the doors flung open to speed outside, the heat hit you like a wall.

Victorious!

So, we'd conquered American highways, it was time to conquer Mars.

We split into Orange and Green teams, with Donald and Milo sitting out with Jack-Jack and Boo. We forgot to tell Emmy what the colors meant and after Suzy, McQueen, and I headed to green we realized we should have given her a heads up. Whoopsies! She went with Mulan, Ariel, and Charming. I don't ride this often because I always have little ones who can't ride and I don't love it enough to miss other things to ride it so I normally sacrifice and sit out with the kids. But it is really fun! I should make it a priority.

She survived:

The kids had gotten done first since less people choose orange and were well entrenched in games when we three came off. I'm all for kids playing around at Epcot, but it was hot outside and the dads and preschoolers were waiting. So no playing around in AC while others melt outside. We dragged them out.

Into the Universe of Energy. I was a little frightened for Boo and sure enough, she was a little frightened. I'm not that into to dinosaurs so this isn't a big attraction for me. But I get that little boys who love dinosaurs love this. And it's air conditioned and entertaining enough. I work in the energy business, and this attraction has almost no energy information. I find that a little disappointing.

After this we checked out Spaceship Earth. A 30 min wait!

It was almost 11:00 so we just decided to do Sunshine Seasons for lunch. I took this on the way:

I got noodles, Donald got a Caesar salad. We also got dessert despite not being on the DDP. Sunshine Seasons just has good dessert. Strawberry shortcake, key lime pie, berry cheesecake.

As ALWAYS, Boo had to go potty 1/4 of the way through our meal. So I said as I got up, "Do NOT throw away my food. Do NOT throw it away." Just like that. So they didn't. But they did EAT it. Sigh. I should have divided it on the plate and pointed at that and said, "DO NOT throw it away, eat it, or do anything bad to it." Instead, I just staked claim on the key lime pie & glaring at them all told them it was mine & I would not be sharing. Irritating Boo. I blame it all on her. WHY am I not skinnier?

See how many noodles were left?

Living with the Land had an actual line. And the FP machine was closed. Normally Living with the Land has no line and the FP machine is open. So this was kind of annoying as our original plan had been to get FP's before lunch. But instead we just kind of watched the line and when it seemed like it had died down, we pounced. But some of us (Emmy) didn't understand the assertive pouncing nature when you see a hole open up in a stream of people entering a queue. So we created a bit of a scene trying to get our whole team together. Normally in lines there is a little spot you can wait with your people for your other people who got separated from you when you were hopping in line and you're a group of 12 and other people hop in between you. But here there is no spot.

So a scene of people waiting and other people catching up and other people being annoyed when in fact you are wearing MATCHING tshirts so they really should have been able to tell you were a group.

It was only a 10 minute wait and since a lot of it was pouncing and hopping and wiggling, it seemed shorter.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #86
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Resort & DTD TS dining

I just noticed in the unloading groceries picture all the alcohol in the refrigerator door. We do like to enjoy ourselves.

OK. I'm going to do resorts & DTD TS dining. I know, I'm kind of overwhelming you all with chapters tonight but I have limited time in my weeks to write and I have the pressure of an every moving towards me trip to DisneyLAND. Oy! Where do the days go. So instead of being slowly fed Disney info, you are all going to starve and then get it slammed towards you all at once. Again, this is mainly just me & my opinions. I'll share Suzy's when I know them or they greatly vary from mine.

AKL

Boma:

We've only eaten here for breakfast. We really like it. When we are on DDP. It's fairly expensive for a breakfast buffet with no characters. But it's a good breakfast. A really good breakfast. That being said, it's pretty similar to Tusker House and Tusker House has characters and is in a really convenient part of AK itself. So I'm not sure we'll ever be back here unless we are staying at the AKL and then we will. It is good for kids (but Tusker House is better.)

Jiko:

Uhm, yes please! LOVE this place. The only kid we've taken here was Jack-Jack. And he mostly slept through it. But it's a pretty loud restaurant and I think kids would just fit in fine. People were more dressed up (just slightly) than in non-fancy places. But not as dressed up as Cali Grill. The feel of the food here is normal with interesting spices. I love that. And for a nice meal, it's worth the price. The food is very good and the service good and the feel is relaxing and romantic. But it doesn't really have any special pull for kids. Again, unless I was staying here I wouldn't take my kids. But I absolutely would do a date night here.

Sanaa Never eaten here.

Beach Club

Beaches and Cream

I've never eaten here and that is much to my annoyance. You can't make ADR's and for us, that makes it not kid friendly. Cause our kids don't like to wait 45 minutes to be seated. Someday I'm gonna time it right and eat here without a long wait.

Cape May Cafe

This place is kid friendly, delicious, conveniently located between Epcot and DHS on a gorgeous lake in a beautiful resort. There is nothing to not love but the $40.00 price tag. And even that, for the quality, is worth it. Unfortunately, kids at WDW start at 10 years old making it really expensive for us. Even with that, we'd probably still do it. But Mulan HATES fish so much it makes her vomit. No way I'm paying $40.00 for that. But she's 11 and eeking closer to being able to stay home when we go here. I see this as a place my family might break apart for. And if you have a whole family of shellfish eaters, $40.00 is totally worth it. On DDP, this is a no brainer. Go.

Boardwalk

Flying Fish

Suzy has been here more than once. I've been here once. I LOVED it. The decor is unique, the placement is beautiful, the service amazing. But, there was a kid in here, and I was glad I wasn't the parents. I don't think it's too kid friendly. This is better savored as a date night or a fun all adult meal. If you are a party of adults (why, exactly are you reading my TR? ) but you should go here. It's great!

ESPN Club

I loved this joint and will try to make it more of a priority. It also takes walk ups only but unlike Beaches and Cream, it's HUGE. It's fun, it's loud, and the food is great bar food. Kid friendly in all ways. And a little thank you to your DH for riding It's a Small World with his 5 year old daughter at 2:00 on a November Sunday afternoon.

Kouzzina

Suzy & I went here with my mom and Boo & Jack-Jack. And Suzy and I had very different feelings as Jack-Jack had only sugar this entire meal. Boo LOVED this place. She loved the open kitchen and the chefs yelling "OOmpa!" She still talks about it and she was little when we went. I loved my food. I loved the open kitchen. I'd go again for sure. The honey donuts: yum!

I haven't been to the other places here.

Contemporary

California Grill

Donald and I went here on a date night. We LOVED it. Especially if you make your ADR's 6 months in advance for a night when Wishes is on. We did take our kids back as it is kid friendly and there are always kids there. But, it isn't as kid friendly as we thought, and we didn't have nearly as much fun with the kids as without. But the did enjoy it. The food is great. And by splitting the steaks, we went here on our own dime and the bank wasn't broke.

Chef Mickey's

This is a fun, over the top Disney, experience. Monorail, Fab Five, MK out the window, a wall of candy 24 hours a day. What more do you want? The food? Yeah, it's not amazing. But it's ok. The money they charge is for the smiles you wear all day when you start out here for breakfast. And the Mickey waffles. The rest, if you can cook, you can make at home. But here, you don't have to cook or clean and you will be a photo shooting fool. Be a kid again here. That is what you came to WDW for, after all. It's not our favorite, but every third trip or so we're back. And Suzy goes more often.

Haven't been the other places here.

I haven't been to Coronado Springs nor Caribbean Beach nor the Dolphin.

Fort Wilderness

Trails End to go

We've only eaten the to go here and it was a great value. Obviously, it's kids friendly. We're big fans.

Grand Floridian

1900 Park Faire

Do you have a girl who is a fan of Cinderella? Eat here. The characters are phenomenal. It's loads of fun and just walking into the Grand Floridian makes a little girl feel like a princess. We were disappointed in two things: the volume of this place: it's LOUD. And the food was generic and bland. But, again, I love Akershus. And Cinderella is there too so my heart might just be at Akershus. We were seated in the loudest part of Park Faire. If you want an evening, no theme park, girl character meal: this is the ticket. And the characters, again, are very good and very funny.

Grand Floridian Cafe

This is a quiet, elegant restaurant with tasty American food. I feel it is a good value for a quiet break from MK. I plan on going again. It's kid friendly as the tables are in little sections so even if your kids are not being amazing, they are kind of in a private area. It's not an exciting place for boys. It's boring. But sometimes we parents of girls want quiet and boring so they can take a little break from stimulation. The service was great here.

We haven't done the other places.

Polynesian

Kona

I've eaten here twice now. It is kid friendly. And reasonable. And a nice atmosphere and good service. And the drinks and bread and desserts are fabulous. But twice my main course hasn't been the best of the week. More middle of the week. It's still on my list because I go to WDW a lot and this is a good "I want to eat at the Poly" choice. But if this is your first and possibly only trip, Kona is too generic.

O'hana

I really like this place. Not every bite of skewered meat is amazing, but that's pretty much how skewered meat is. And the good thing about this place is they keep bringing it around so you can keep asking for more meat till you get the perfect bites. The drinks, bread, sides, and dessert are all great. And if you break out of your comfort zone and go learn to hula with the kids, you won't be sorry. Wear a lei, for pete sake, you're on vacation. This place FEELS like vacation. You can almost feel Baby sitting in a corner in this place. And it is high on my list. Fun for kids, fun for adults. Worth the money.

Haven't eaten at Old Key West, Port Orleans, or Saratoga Springs, Shades of Green, or the Swan.

But at Port Orleans, Boatwrights looked good. A nice place to eat a meal if you are staying there and it is pouring or you are exhausted. Just cancel your park ADR's and eat here and go to bed early. I bet you won't be sorry.

Wilderness Lodge

Artist's Point

I loved this place. It's quite, gentle, romantic. I'd love to get engaged here. If I were single, of course. But it's not for kids. That's my opinion. But I stand by it.

Whispering Canyon Cafe

I think Suzy may have a different opinion of this place than me. I love it. It's very kid friendly and we like the food. It's a better deal on DDP than off. It's fun. But Suzy's family has almost no extroverts and they don't tease and harass their servers, which the interaction is the best part. And if you have kids and want a fun little side trip from MK to stop the stimulation madness, a boat ride to the Wilderness Lodge and a meal at the WCC and then back to MK for fireworks is just the ticket. Just don't take 4 balloons & 4 boys when you are just one Mom.

Yacht Club: Haven't eaten there.

Downtown Disney:

Rainforest Cafe

See my AK report.

T-Rex

This is owned by the Rainforest Cafe and has similar food. I really like the food and think it is worth the money. It is awesome and I can see it being on our must do list within the next year. We've wanted it to be on our must do list since it opened, but it is NOT for toddlers. It is too, too scary. If your kid looks terrified when Winnie the Pooh comes close, do NOT come here. There is a GIANT, terrifying dinosaur that roars and a meteor shower that blows things up. Other than that, it's totally safe. If you're kids are over the age of 6, especially if they are a boy, this needs to be on your list. Great for parents (yummy drinks and food) and great for kids.

Raglan Road

I've only been here with adults and I've LOVED it both times. My girls would enjoy it too. But I think Suzy's younger boys would be bored for another 2-3 years. Then everyone would love it. It's not that it's not kid friendly (it's large and loud), it's just got a bar/party feel that makes me not want to share it with my kids. I love the food and I love the drinks. I love the band and the dancer. I love the little booths, and the wide open space.

Wolfgang Puck Cafe

This was very nice, it is kid friendly. But it's just a normal restaurant. Good food. But like Kona, it's just middle.

I haven't eaten at the other places.

And that is that. And Suzy is right. I should have mentioned that my girls put RedHot on food regularly. I made cheese quesadillas and black bean soup tonight and Ariel got out the Redhot, cause that's what we do. I said, "Both of these things have Chipotle peppers in them, better taste first." They didn't add Redhot. Because it was hot. Boo does NOT like spicy currently. Her quesadilla had grilled chicken and cheese and she had no soup. But we're working on her.

So when I say "bland" you may think "perfect" if you would never consider putting Redhot on something or you order your wings Mild.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #87
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Wow, love love the pictures of the girls sleeping in the veiled beds! (or whatever those gauzy things are called!).

And I never noticed the alcohol in the fridge until you mentioned it!
And I wondered how much more was there that's not refrigerated? lol!
The Grocery mayhem pictures were hilarious!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #88
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Great update. The house you stayed in looks a-maz-ing! Wow! I also enjoyed reading your review of DW restaurants. Great info.

I wish we were heading back to DW this summer. Living in TN the heat and humidity doesn't bother me. But we are heading to the Smoky Mtns instead. If anyone has any Dollywood tips, I would be glad to hear them.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #89
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Wow, Disneylicious looked like an amazing house and perfect for you and your family. I have rented from vrbo several times and we were always very pleased. And I imagine it was cheaper than staying on property. I have to admit I noticed your alcohol stash in the fridge. I was thinking, these people are here to have some FUN !! Also, I loved your restaurant reviews. Very informative. Looking forward to reading more !!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #90
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Wow, love love the pictures of the girls sleeping in the veiled beds! (or whatever those gauzy things are called!).

And I never noticed the alcohol in the fridge until you mentioned it!
And I wondered how much more was there that's not refrigerated? lol!
The Grocery mayhem pictures were hilarious!
Not tooo much not refrigerated, but there is the beer & the like elsewhere in the fridge. We bought this & brought most of this from home (then no looking for a liquor store in Kissimmee, though I do know where a few are.) We had brought enough for both weeks: the Disney week and beach week, but then we remembered Dad couldn't drink alcohol so we tried to drink it all the first week. That didn't really work. So we just stored ours in our room & put it in coffee mugs at the beach. Milo did the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Great update. The house you stayed in looks a-maz-ing! Wow! I also enjoyed reading your review of DW restaurants. Great info.

I wish we were heading back to DW this summer. Living in TN the heat and humidity doesn't bother me. But we are heading to the Smoky Mtns instead. If anyone has any Dollywood tips, I would be glad to hear them.
It was AMAZING! More to come on how much loved it as this report continues.

As for Dollywood, sorry. We went to the Smoky Mountains on our honeymoon and are always discussing going back. But for some reason we just don't really want to. It's like we head south, we think WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Wow, Disneylicious looked like an amazing house and perfect for you and your family. I have rented from vrbo several times and we were always very pleased. And I imagine it was cheaper than staying on property. I have to admit I noticed your alcohol stash in the fridge. I was thinking, these people are here to have some FUN !! Also, I loved your restaurant reviews. Very informative. Looking forward to reading more !!
Thanks. I couldn't help but notice your ticker. A Disney cruise.... oh how sweet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: