Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #31
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Just popping in to show my new signature! Lol! It always makes me smile!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #32
YensidCamper
Mouseketeer

Suzy we made it to Epcot this evening for couple of rides on Test Track, one on Soarin, and one on Mission Space. We ate at the food court in the land. The chinese was very good. I hope your trip down was a good one, ours was as easy as its ever been. We are off to DHS tomorrow to see what the crazies are like on the last day Star Wars weekends. Hope you and the gang are having fun and had a safe trip.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #33
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Just popping in to show my new signature! Lol! It always makes me smile!
Great signature! I bet those three months fly by! When they aren't going painfully slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YensidCamper View Post
Suzy we made it to Epcot this evening for couple of rides on Test Track, one on Soarin, and one on Mission Space. We ate at the food court in the land. The chinese was very good. I hope your trip down was a good one, ours was as easy as its ever been. We are off to DHS tomorrow to see what the crazies are like on the last day Star Wars weekends. Hope you and the gang are having fun and had a safe trip.
We are having a great and safe trip! Glad to hear you guys are as well. Today is a morning off so taking the opportunity to check in to Disboards.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
estherhead
DIS Veteran

"Hello Humans!!!!!" Everybody scream!!!!

Ok, ok. So it is a full 6 months since we got back and I'm just now starting on this. But, don't forget, I did write the end of my March one. You can't expect a girl finishing up her year of Disney to have time to write 3 whole TR's and BONUS TR's in that amount of time, can you? Hmmmm????

But it's winter and things have settled a bit. And by settled down, I mean yes, I'm still working full time, still managing my dad's company. And yes, we're still having financial problems which Suzy and Mom are trying to dig us out of. And my dad is still struggling with his physical health and mental sharpness, though we did have good news that he is cancer free. But it's weird how when problems are new they are extremely stressful and when they are the problems you've lived with for awhile they are less stressful. Something about having a plan of action to deal with the problems makes it ok, even when nothing has changed at all.

And now it is time. It's time!!! I'm so excited. We had such a fabulous time and I can't wait to tell you all about it.

In addition to that, I'll also be telling you about Suzy & Milos' 20th anniversary cruise and one day at WDW!! coming up in the next week. I'm doing a little 4 hour treasure hunt for them from back here and if it goes well (fingers crossed!) I'll tell you all about it. I'm pretty excited to be a tiny part of their awesome, 20 years in the making, no kids along trip!!!

AND the Perla clan is planning a trip to DisneyLAND in early June. So we'll have some planning details on that. And it also, of course, gives me the deadline for finishing this. So stay tuned... as this will have to be done by late April so I can get going on our next trip.

Are you going to stick around? Well, are you? Are you a man or a muppet? That's the question of the week.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #35
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Let it BEGIN BEGIN BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!

So, from our March trip to our June trip many, many things had changed.

And I went from having a relatively simple job at my dad's company working about 16 hours a week to having multiple jobs at my dad's company working 60 hours a week.

So my normal uber-planned Disney trip had gotten shoved into such a dark and tiny corner it was hard to get excited about it. Emmy knew about our previous trips and had ordered herself tshirts and was expecting her 32 page color itinerary.

But guess what? I didn't really have much time to do such (this next part will be shocking!) unnecessary things. I know, I know. They seem so important. But the truth is, it is possible to go to WDW withOUT an itinerary and withOUT matching tshirts. And so, because there were other pressing things, I shoved them to the side.

But we all know, that I am me. Some days I wish I were some one else. But not all wishes come true and I'm always me. And being me, I discovered that you may shove unimportant things aside temporarily, but in the long run I must accomplish everything on my to do list, even the things that with a simple explanation could be left undone.

And so the days leading up to our trip found Suzy and I making tshirts and me staying up late making a 32 page color itinerary. And gathering all of our stuff and, and, and. That's right, there is almost nothing that I normally do for WDW trips that I gave up. I simply couldn't.

Which is why at 6:30 a.m. on Friday, the day we were to leave, I woke up not panicked at all. Because I knew I was done.

We were packed. Tshirts were made and organized into days. Itineraries were printed and made into books.

I got up, got dressed, and went to work. Just like that. No big whoop.

But that is where things went slightly awry. The guy I wanted to hand the management off to was going on vacation the second week of our vacation. Which meant I had to hand off and plan for two weeks to two different guys. Despite being uber-prepared and, yes, micromanaging, it was actually fairly difficult to teach two guys with different thought processes how to run a multi-million dollar company. Shocking, I know.

I knew we were perhaps in a bit of trouble when they couldn't figure out how to get onto the main computer program we use.

We had told Emmy, who knows us VERY well, to be at our house at 11:00 a.m. so we could get her stuff in our van for an 11:30 am departure. At 11:25 she texted me: "Am I at the right house? Did I get the very first directive wrong?"

Imagine her surprise when I called her and said, "Nope, you are right. But none of us can make it there on time." She was so confused.

So I sent her to the store and bank and asked Suzy and Milo to pick us up lunch. Sigh. I'm NEVER the one who makes us late. I'm like the opposite of late. But seriously. Passing off the company did not go smoothly.

I left work at 11:35, 5 minutes AFTER we should have been pulling out. I literally came home and RAN. RAN. This was the scene as I pulled in:

That's Suzy dividing up our lunch (no fancy Mickey empanadas this time.) I had a taco which I scarfed down.

And Donald making sure we got it together:

We started to pull out of our driveway a total of THREE times. That just shows you how frazzled I was. The third time we pulled back in I insisted that my entire car group get out and use the potty. Out we piled, back we piled.

At noon, we pulled out for the final time. Whew.

To say that we left our house trashed is an understatement.

Ok, by a show of thumbs, who cannot go on vacation with a messy house? Me! I cannot. However, in addition to the other insanities in my life at this time, my 22 year old neice had asked if she could move in with us. I told her she could move in while we were at WDW. And so. She did.

So as we pulled out I called her. And I said, "Hey, K. We left the house trashed. Absolutely trashed. Could you clean it for us?"

Well, she is a terrible cleaner. Just awful. But her sister also ended up living with us for 3 months. And she is an amazing cleaner! So we came home to a clean house despite us leaving it in shambles.

It took me a good hour of driving to get my heart back to a normal speed. And traffic was heavy so that didn't help. AND Suzy's DVD players weren't working so that was stressful for her.

About two hours in, Jack-Jack had to go potty. We just went to a gas station but the bathroom was spotless so we felt that was a score and everyone went. A few hours later, we stopped again. Buzz was about to die without a DVD player and Suzy wanted someone to kill her. I guess their car was a little more stressful than ours. Sadly, they way we were set-up was not really ideal for trading kids so they all had to deal with the lack of entertainment. Suzy was the true sufferer, despite Buzz's complaints, because to keep the whining down she let them play with HER entertainment. Leaving her bored to tears.

And a short hour after that, we were hungry. We eat fairly early and I'd only had a taco. So it was probably around 5.

For any of you who travel down 77, cell phone service in WV, VA, NC is very sketchy. So we had discussed where to stop but Suzy had caught a bit of 3G and was talking to her realtor (remember, they were buying/selling/etc houses) and missed the exit we got off. So they just texted to pick something and they'd deal with our decision.

But they weren't counting on us picking Bojangles

We had never eaten there and were all wanting to be a tiny bit adventurous. They were not really feeling all that adventurous. But they rolled with it.

You know what? It was delicious! We all loved our food. There were these yummy little chicken bites that were roasted chicken and not breaded like so many places. And the green beans were really peppery. I love me some green beans so this made me really happy. Oh, and the biscuits. I always get corn bread at KFC because I think their biscuits are yucky. But Bojangles biscuits: yum! So adventure had won out. But don't get used to it. We only like a little adventure. Otherwise, we like the travel the well beaten path.

Donald needed a break, so I took the steering wheel. I like to drive. Listening to music and Emmy and I chitchatting (she sat up front with me.) And the best part of driving is Donald has to deal with all of the kid's antics. I get a break from being Mom.

He entertained the kids with our old Disney videos. And time just simply flew by. Flew.

Donald had uploaded a BUNCH of cool Disney tunes to his iphone. Which is crazy that that is exciting since we all have a TON of Disney music. But it was totally different stuff than my stuff so we all thoroughly enjoyed that. Work called a couple times, despite it being Friday night. I'm pretty sure people weren't completely happy with our departure. But, again a perk of driving, Donald dealt with most of the calls since I was busy.

And we drove on. We stopped to gas up, our last stop of the day before our hotel, and Emmy was being seriously checked out by the class of men there. Let me just say, when we walked into the gas station there were muddy BAREfeet marks all over the floors. Ewww! Loud music was blasting from all the open truck windows. Emmy and I couldn't stop laughing as she always says the reason she doesn't have a man is the kind of men who appreciate her fabulousness are not really her kind of man. And from the barefooted, toothless wonders at this place, who were practically DROOLING when she walked by, I now understand.

Again, Ew! We could not fill up and leave fast enough.

To distract us from that (or maybe to stop our manic laughter) Donald got us started playing the license plate game in earnest. Emmy had never played before. Really? I had no idea other families didn't play this game. My family is practically obsessed with license plates. Just a few hours into playing Emmy was REALLY into it. She was frustrated that she could never get one we didn't have yet before us. But we are all skilled players.

So at some point, just before dark, she scared the whatever out of me by yelling, "IDAHO!!! IDAHO!!!!" Seriously. She was so excited.

I also talked to my mom for about a half hour or so. She called to thank me for all my hard work and told me that she felt as though a cloud had been lifted on her entire life.

Well, I don't know if that was true, since it's been a really rough 6 months since then, but it made for a nice conversation at the time.

Anyhow, at 10:20 p.m. we pulled into our hotel for the night. Thanks to my disastrous choice in March, we paid a little more money and got better digs. Or at least cleaner.

We got our little overnight bags and checked in. Sitting outside our room in the hallway all stretched out were two girls texting what seemed to be each other, though that doesn't make much sense. They sat there despite our big group of people kind of taking up the space. It was rather bizarre. I tell you about them, not because at the moment it was important, but because we ran into them again. And that was a memorable moment which led me to remember the weirdness of two girls sitting in a hotel hallway and not moving their legs despite an herd of people needing to get in a doorway. Odd.

And here is out room. Emmy slept on the pull out couch. The tv in the main room was so irritating you cannot really understand unless you were there. But I took a photo to show you.

See? It was maybe 6 inches away from the foot of the bed in the main exit/entrance to the bathroom. Stupid. If it hadn't been bolted down, I would have moved it. AND it had no remote. And we couldn't figure out how to change the channel on the actual tv. It was on Discovery so at least it wasn't bad. Needless to say, we just went to bed.

Emmy's digs:

And that, my friends, was our first day. It was a shaky start but a delightful drive. 11:00 p.m.: into bed. Night John-boy!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #36
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Are we a Disney World yet?

I slept great! Maybe because I was driving away from the stress. Maybe because the bed was comfy. Maybe because I was absolutely exhausted.

I slept great. I woke up at 6:00 a.m. Played on my iphone until 6:30 and then decided to get started. I went and got coffee and then got ready to get in the shower with Boo. It was then that I realized I had brought the wrong tshirts! In my mad dash I had put the wrong shirts for our day in our overnight bags. And I couldn't find my make-up. I realize this is not normal for me. But it had been stressful, remember. The important thing was, I was going to Disney World.

We got in the shower & just put on what we had temporarily. Emmy had gone run on the treadmill. She is dedicated! As I got everyone ready Donald turned on the tv, which as you recall was stuck on Discovery. And it just happened to be shark week. If you thought my life was stressful before you canNOT imagine the stress of getting ready to shark week. I hope this never happens to me again.

After we were remotely ready we headed down to the breakfast provided by the hotel. It was a very nice room and a nice spread. Really enjoyable. Donald and I sat in these relaxing chairs right under the flat screen tv which was on Fox News. Now, I do not want to get political on here. But it would be impossible for me to describe the scene in here without mentioning this. As it was the Weiner scandel. On Fox News. The room was packed. Packed! We had gotten the good spots right before they all came. Here is the room without the crowd:

But within moments, every chair in there was full. And everyone in there was LOVING the Fox News rendition of the Weiner scandal. And they HATED Obama. They were emotional and vocal about the whole thing. Being a person who is interested in politics but neutral in all of the opinions it was a little hard for me to take a room full of people believing 100% of everything said on tv. I may have even heard a few Hallelujah's which made me distinctly uncomfortable. Donald was thoroughly enjoying my squirming all around. It may have even been a highlight for him.

Suzy during all of this was eating McQueen's leftovers as usual. When there are so many choices he has to have them all and eat actually nothing. So Suzy just ate whatever.

I escaped the moment I was done eating to go dig out the tshirts which required me to actually get into the car top carrier. Ugh. But fortune was on my side and they were in the first suitcase I pulled out. And then I found my makeup easily.

Then I sat in the van for a little peace and quiet while I called in to work. We aren't open on Saturday but there still were questions from the Friday.

I took the shirts upstairs and we changed and finished packing. As the men were packing we redid the drawings on the vans. Emmy did some writing on Suzy & Milo's van which gave her great pleasure for the rest of the week.

I guess this is a SNL act. She and Donald were amused. The rest of us didn't really get it.

Our van also was confusing as it said something about princesses and a wicked stepmother. Donald wrote it on there. This confused people. And the thing is when you have writing all over your vehicle about Disney you are essentially asking people to ask you about it. I am the only extrovert in our vehicle. And I'm pretty obviously the mom. Which meant that at EVERY stop people said things like, "It's great of you to take your stepkids to Disney." And "Wow! You're a wonder woman to take on all those kids. Their dad must be one lucky guy."

The first few times I tried to explain that the back of our van in no way reflected our actual family situation and I was the real mom. This led to the most confused looks on these friendly stranger's faces. I asked Donald to change it. But he liked it and no one was saying anything weird to him.

So I came up with a new strategy which was to say, "Yeah, you have NO IDEA how lucky he is. I'm a total saint." This lead to knowing smiles and "uh-huh! You said it sister."

Our van art was definitely not our best work.

The other thing was those girls from our hallway were packing up at the same time as us. Their family actually WAS confusing. As one was black and one was white so the night before we thought they were best friends. But the morning brought out their parents and it was then obvious they were stepsisters and best friends. They were going on a cruise. And they were wearing cropped Hooters shirts and shorts that were so short you could see EVERYTHING. How old do you have to be to work at Hooters? Because these girls looked 14. But obviously not. And their mom was dressed the same! And she was not the right shape to be a Hooters girl.

Anyway, it was one of those things that was fascinating and we struggled to not stare.

I guess it was just going to be one of those days. Because later just south of Jacksonville we stopped at Subway for lunch and there was a line out the door. Emmy had accidentally worn into the Subway her pipe cleaner Mickey antennae she had been working on in the van to entertain Boo and I was making fun of her. But then we realized that in this particular Subway an adult wearing pipe cleaner antennae was perfectly normal. STRANGE people in very strange outfits.

Another interesting thing at this Subway was Mulan and Buzz struck up a conversation with a lovely elderly couple who had been to Disney forever and started telling us that they always stay off site and their favorite house was called Disneylicious. What? No way. That's where we are staying!

You can't see it in here. The weird people, I mean.

Trust me.

Next up:

We make it to Disney.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #37
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post

Our van also was confusing as it said something about princesses and a wicked stepmother. Donald wrote it on there. This confused people. And the thing is when you have writing all over your vehicle about Disney you are essentially asking people to ask you about it. I am the only extrovert in our vehicle. And I'm pretty obviously the mom. Which meant that at EVERY stop people said things like, "It's great of you to take your stepkids to Disney." And "Wow! You're a wonder woman to take on all those kids. Their dad must be one lucky guy."

The first few times I tried to explain that the back of our van in no way reflected our actual family situation and I was the real mom. This led to the most confused looks on these friendly stranger's faces. I asked Donald to change it. But he liked it and no one was saying anything weird to him.

So I came up with a new strategy which was to say, "Yeah, you have NO IDEA how lucky he is. I'm a total saint." This lead to knowing smiles and "uh-huh! You said it sister."

Our van art was definitely not our best work.

This had me LOL! Great to see you back!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #38
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Glad to see you back! Enjoying your travels and the laughs so far!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #39
Laura Loves Tigger
Earning My Ears

YAY! You are back! Can't wait to read all bout our trip.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #40
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
This had me LOL! Great to see you back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Glad to see you back! Enjoying your travels and the laughs so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Loves Tigger View Post
YAY! You are back! Can't wait to read all bout our trip.
Woohoo! So wonderful to be back with my friends!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #41
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

I was so excited when I saw you had posted

Looking very forward to hearing more about the June trip and any other tidbits you happen to throw in!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #42
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Glad to see you have started your third trip!!! Glad things are getting better on the work front and that your dad is doing okay.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #43
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
I was so excited when I saw you had posted

Looking very forward to hearing more about the June trip and any other tidbits you happen to throw in!
Hi! Thanks. We had a grand time and certainly did learn a few things to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Glad to see you have started your third trip!!! Glad things are getting better on the work front and that your dad is doing okay.
Thanks.

We just came home from the Muppets. Did you all see this? AWESOME! Love the Muppets. And the Disney castle.

Hopefully I can work on this soon. My parents wanted to have a little celebration trip but they didn't feel well and brave enough to go by themselves so they bought Donald and I tickets with them to Barcelona within the month! Can you imagine? So things went from a long, boring winter: to excitement! Love that kind of excitement.

I'm so excited to move to the TR board. Off we go: it's the weekend, time to write more TR!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #44
estherhead
DIS Veteran

We got done with our yummy food and off we went.

We were ahead of schedule! Woot woot!

But we were only ahead of the itinerary schedule, not the real secret schedule in Suzy and my heads. In the official itinerary we were to check into our hotel (Homewood Suites at Crossroads) at 3:00 p.m. But in the real schedule in our heads we wanted to be at Downtown Disney by 2:00 to get Emmy's ticket a little upgrade.

What she need was an extra day. I was really nervous that the free ticket I had wouldn't be right and we'd end up spending an arm and a leg. I felt it should only be $10.00. But who knows? We also had decided not to have her get park hoppers. It'd be almost $50.00 and we really thought she would at most hop one-two days. Not really worth the $50.00. So we were going to try to go without hopping and if we really wanted to, she would pay the extra money at that point.

But regardless, I wanted to be at DTD to see if this was really gonna cost us only $10.00 so I could relax at our first night at Disney.

So for the secret real schedule, we were right on time. But a little anxious we couldn't reach DTD by 2:00.

We hit the first billboard (very exciting new Star Tours billboard, thus my remembering) just after 1:00 and I got hopeful!!

In reality, it was closer to 2:30 when we got to DTD.

Look here!

I always want a great pic of this sign for my scrapbook and it's always dark or we're whizzing by, or for some reason or another, it's terrible.

But we dropped by the restaurant there on the corner (Burger King? Not sure) to use the potty (DTD is so annoying to have to pee at) and so I ran to the corner where I could stand and take a photo. Only to find to my annoyance that there were orange barrels there this year! Whatever. Guess we'll have to go back so I can get my picture next time.

And then we were off! We parked really close to the Lego store and Emmy couldn't believe how cool just DTD was. So we couldn't wait to show her the rest of the world! The new Lego displays were wonderful! So we took time to look at them all.

After Legos, we could wait no longer to see how much Emmy's ticket would be. Well, actually we could wait. Because the line ahead of us, which I really didn't think was bad, was naturally long. And as always at Disney ticket windows/areas it was a mixture of people who were more knowledgeable than the Disney CM's and a mixture of people who had NO IDEA what they were doing.

It took awhile. And I was getting more & more nervous that it wasn't just gonna be $10.00. Finally it's her turn & I kept silent, ready to pounce the moment the CM said anything other than $10.00. Emmy played it cool. And we got the verdict: $10.65. Thank Goodness!

We then headed to the World of Disney where much to my delight I got to spend some time alone. A-MAZE-ING.

Emmy found me looking at Disney hair stuff outside the BBB. Because, as you all know, we like to wear Mickey in our hair, on our nails, in our ears.

And Emmy found something way cooler than the pipe cleaner antennae she had worn into Subway:

These bad boys were VERY helpful as the week wore on. Not a lot of adult women in pink Mickey antennae even in Disney World.

I bought a pink Mickey sunhat that came in quite handy and I will be wearing to my summer events and Disney trips for years to come.

After this, we headed out of DTD. But not before losing Emmy. It was not to be the first loss of her. We had been together, but you KNOW how big that store is and how many check-outs and exits there are. It's just crazy.

We found her and she wanted to make sure we were coming back. Yeah, she was easy to convert to a Disney freak. Oh, by the way, she totally has a Mickey on HER car since this trip.

We then headed to check in to our hotel. It was only 3:20. We were just blasting through the Disney magic!!!

Next up: Our temporary hotel and & the Poly.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
taymaesmom
DIS Veteran

Yeah! I'm so excited to see the updates! Totally missed reading your trip reports, now you have to write a trip report for Barcelona too! Can't wait to read more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: