Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Thumbs up

Hugs to both of you and to all.

I was reading down thru, thinking, I'd say yes to a Disney offer from you guys in a heartbeat! I could belong with you lot:

I like to/want to camp, I value my family & parents, I believe OCD means something about On-Control Disney!
I eat somewhat healthy (except this week, when I realllllly needed cream cheese icing by the spoonful), I'd run with you, I think group shirts are a great idea, esp at Disney. (but when you travel alone, somehow it's not the same....., people don't realize your whole group is dressed alike...., lol)

And I read on: it's been a roller coaster month for all of you, you've cried, but you've laughed and cried some more...... I've cried a lot this month, and expect to cry alot in June......And if I don't get out for a run, a drink won't be going astray.... hoping it won't mess up my newly minted Weightwatchers's Lifetime status!

Anyway, here's to you guys and another trip planning event/trip report! Bring it on!
Where do you keep your pixie dust?!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance View Post
Hi! Just wanted to say that I'm sorry May has been such a stressful month. I'm glad that things have gotten a little better recently for you. And lol about your client "schooling" you on Disney... That's really sweet about his granddaughter meeting Cinderella for the first time.

I'm looking forward to reading about your next trip
Awww... Thanks. You guys are all so nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Hugs to both of you and to all.

I was reading down thru, thinking, I'd say yes to a Disney offer from you guys in a heartbeat! I could belong with you lot:

I like to/want to camp, I value my family & parents, I believe OCD means something about On-Control Disney!
I eat somewhat healthy (except this week, when I realllllly needed cream cheese icing by the spoonful), I'd run with you, I think group shirts are a great idea, esp at Disney. (but when you travel alone, somehow it's not the same....., people don't realize your whole group is dressed alike...., lol)

And I read on: it's been a roller coaster month for all of you, you've cried, but you've laughed and cried some more...... I've cried a lot this month, and expect to cry alot in June......And if I don't get out for a run, a drink won't be going astray.... hoping it won't mess up my newly minted Weightwatchers's Lifetime status!

Anyway, here's to you guys and another trip planning event/trip report! Bring it on!
Where do you keep your pixie dust?!!!!
See??? I knew it shouldn't have been that hard! You were there all along.

I'm SUPER sorry you're crying. I lost 3 lbs in May due to stress and gained them all back this week, also due to stress. Crying DEFINITELY affects eating patterns.

But more than anything else I want to say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE my lifetime WW friends. I was able to keep up my running through a lot of May but lost it due to the insanity. ANd now have a trip to get ready for in 8 days! So I'm unsure if I can make it a priority. I think my current plan is to start again on Daytona Beach with my actual program instead of the random informal thing I've been doing the past few weeks. Like a little kick-off party to the rest of my life!

I clearly don't know what's going on in your life but as a (very part time now) WW leader I have to give you the generic advice I give myself and members: BE selfish when you have to be. If you give everything of yourself, you'll have nothing left to give. You're worth it!!!

And as a new motto for all of us:
"Always keep your pixie dust in your underpants!" Good motto to live by.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
knitster
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to let you know that, partly due to your glowing recommendations, I joined Weight Watchers today! No one in my family struggles with weight at all, so they don't understand how huge this is for me, but I had to tell *someone* and I knew a lifetime WW member and leader would care!

Now back to you regularly scheduled pre-trip reporting...

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitster View Post
I just wanted to let you know that, partly due to your glowing recommendations, I joined Weight Watchers today! No one in my family struggles with weight at all, so they don't understand how huge this is for me, but I had to tell *someone* and I knew a lifetime WW member and leader would care!

Now back to you regularly scheduled pre-trip reporting...

Woohoo! Suzy, Walkinginthefog, and I can be you secret support team!

Little advice: fruit, fruit, fruit! Laughing cow cheese, Hormel turkey pepperoni (slices and sticks!), Special K sour cream and onion cracker chips, Pringles chedder sticks...

I could go on & on. It's all about surrounding yourself with stuff you love so you don't feel deprived. Never eat something you don't like. Never. If you get a bite that isn't great, spit that bad boy right out!

For dinner tonight I had pork tenderloin & zucchini, onions, red potatoes on the grill, little bit of rosemary and garlic. Yum! And easy!

OK, getting off my ww soap box.

Suzy and I are getting together tomorrow to finalize some Disney stuff. Naturally, I'll tell you all about it tomorrow night.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Laura Loves Tigger
Earning My Ears

I'm in! So sorry that your May has been so difficult. Can I just say how impressed I am that you all work together AND vacation together! Family is so important and it's great that you all love each other so much!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #21
LovesBelle
Earning My Ears

I am trying my own hand at a trip report because I have enjoyed yours so much! (I also changed my profile name from mshadel so it won't be so obvious to anyone who I am, in case anyone I know stumbles upon it). I can't post a link to it since it won't let me post links or images yet until I've got 10 posts under my new user name, but if you find it you will see that I have copied some of you naming conventions...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Loves Tigger View Post
I'm in! So sorry that your May has been so difficult. Can I just say how impressed I am that you all work together AND vacation together! Family is so important and it's great that you all love each other so much!
Thanks. It took awhile for us to all merge and bond fully but Donald and I have been married 16 years and Suzy and Milo for 19. Somewhere in the course of all that we all became best friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBelle View Post
I am trying my own hand at a trip report because I have enjoyed yours so much! (I also changed my profile name from mshadel so it won't be so obvious to anyone who I am, in case anyone I know stumbles upon it). I can't post a link to it since it won't let me post links or images yet until I've got 10 posts under my new user name, but if you find it you will see that I have copied some of you naming conventions...
Congrats! I'm off to check it out...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Ahhhh!!!!!

One week. That's right, folks. We are well into single digits and I haven't slowed down to breathe yet!

As I already mentioned, our business is tied to the weather. So last week and this week, the first steady, 90 degree weeks, our entire team of technicians and their support and our sales staff (including Donald & Milo) will all pull in 60-80 hours worth of on job time. That's right, 80. During the main 5 days many work 13 hour days. And our emergency service technicians will work through the weekends as well.

We wait and we wait for these two weeks. We love them. But NORMALLY they come in May. And by mid-June it is the perfect time for us to take a vacation as the work is steady but not crazy. So the timing of this now makes everything off.

Not that we're changing anything, mind you. I just am pointing out that chaos is ruling Suzy & my lives currently.

Also, my two adult nieces (who I love), had a bit of trouble with the house they rented and moved in with us last night. Along with their 2 dogs and 2 bunnies.

And Suzy has an open house this weekend which means not only does her house have to be immaculate, her closets, pantry, office, and garage do too.

Can you imagine?

In spite of all that, she and I took some time to go shopping yesterday and had a grand time buying bathing suits & accessories. We had so much fun, we went back and picked up Mulan & Ariel and made them go back out with us and shopped until 10!

I also bought a super great canopy for the beach portion of our trip. I'm using it tomorrow at a fishing derby (yeah, we live in the sticks. I know.) So I'll post pictures of us under it on Sunday.

We booked our hotel for the way down and for our first night in Orlando as well. And we wrote our itinerary and bought our white t-shirts for our American Idol shirts.

So we accomplished a TON! Now I just have to do the work and figure out food. And then make my itinerary books.

Also, my check on the final payment for the house hasn't cleared yet so that is stressing me a little. I sent it on May 17th to Canada. Here's hoping it'll clear before we leave!

OK, gotta go. I typed as fast as I could but still barely scratched the surface of what I'd like to convey.

I'll post more when I do more!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #24
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Thursday
10:00 p.m. All luggage for car top carrier need to be at Perla's

Friday
11:30 a.m. Gas tanks filled, Leave.
12:00 noon Eat our packed lunch
5:00 p.m. Fast Food dinner
10:00 p.m. Arrive at Hotel, Savannah, Ga
610.98 miles driven

Saturday
8:30 a.m. Hotel breakfast
9:00 a.m. On the road
Noon Fast Food lunch
3:00 p.m. Arrive at Homewood Suites at Crossroads
281.63 miles travelled
5:30 p.m. Kona Cafť, Polynesian Hotel
Take beach toys, bug spray, & an extra change of clothes for Boo & Jack-Jack (don't worry, we don't use the pools)
Enjoy drinks and hammocks on Poly beach.
10:00 p.m. Wishes from Poly beach.

Sunday
7:00 a.m. Hotel breakfast
8:00 a.m. In vehicles
9:00 a.m. MK Rope drop (get Splash FP)
Fantasyland (not Philharmagic nor Peter Pan) (Get BTMMR FP), Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, Tea Cups, Carrousel, Small World
Haunted Mansion (Get Peter Pan FP)
Adventureland (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Aladdin) (Get Space Mt. FP)
Eat lunch at Pecos Billís or Tortuga Tavern (at 11:30, where ever this falls in our doing rides)
Then do Splash Mt & Big Thunder
Do Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Space Mt., Buzz, Laugh Floor (If possible, get Buzz FP as soon as Space is up)
4:00 p.m. Check in to house.
Quickly empty the vehicles and Suzy, Mulan, Charming, Emmy grocery shop while everyone else unpacks
6:00 p.m. Grocery shopping people bring dinner home with them
Those who wish to go to DHS Star Wars weekend may. DHS is open until midnight. MK is open till 11:00
All else can stay in our new home and swim/relax

Monday
8:00 a.m. Leave house
9:00 a.m. Epcot Rope Drop
Test Track (Get Soariní FP), Mission:Space, Universe of Energy, Spaceship Earth
Nemo & Crush, Captain E.O., Imagination
The Land Pavilion
Eat lunch at Sunshine Seasons (eat at 11:30 when ever that falls in our doing rides.)
Coke spot so Emmy can try them all (and I can get a great pic of her trying Beverly )
World Showcase (Big kids can choose Innovations or Kim Possible)
4:00 p.m. Eat dinner at CS in Mexico
5:00 p.m. Get in line for Hotel California (5:45 p.m. show)

Tuesday
7:45 a.m. Leave for DHS
9:00 a.m. DHS for Toy Story Mania March
Star Tours. FP & ride
10:00-10:30 a.m. Charming & Esmerelda audition for American Idol
Great Movie Ride (FP RnR)
11:30 a.m. Indiana Jones (FP ToT)
Noon Lunch at Backlot Express
Through afternoon: Watch Emmy & Charming in AI, Animation Studios, Beauty & Beast, use our FPís
7:30 p.m. No matter what happens with AI, we should be able to leave park by 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday
11:30 a.m. Ready to go to DHS
12:40 p.m. Sci-Fi Dine In (Star Tours FP)
Mermaid, RnR, ToT, Animation Studios, anything else we want or missed
3:00 p.m. Pixar Parade
8:00 p.m. Get Fantasmic seats
9:00 p.m. Fantasmic

Thursday
1:00 p.m. Leave for Epcot
2:00 p.m. Whatever we want
5:30 p.m. San Angel
9:00 p.m. Illuminations

Friday
8:30 am Ready to go
9:00 am Animal Kingdom Rope Drop
Dinosaur (EE FP), Triceratop Spin, Expedition Everest
9:55 a.m. Meet Characters (Emmy is TERRIFIED of characters so I'm not sure what she'll do) (KS FP)
Itís Tough to Be a Bug
11:00 a.m. Festival of the Lion King
Lunch (maybe packed?)
1:00 p.m. Finding Nemo
Safari and any other animal viewing desired
3:00 p.m. Home
7:00 p.m. Adults to Raglan Road

Saturday
7:00 a.m. Pack up the house
10:00 a.m. Magic Kingdom (or as soon as we can get there)
Do whatever we wish
When done: BEACH!

We'll be meeting my parents here who will get in on Friday and be anxious for us to arrive. So the question is, at the end of this trip it is the end of our year of Disney. Will the lure of a week on the beach doing nothing make it so I am anxious to leave MK? Or will I want to linger and cry that I won't be back for a long while?

I just don't know. Guess that's my biggest cliffhanger. Will I be happy and content with our amazing year or will I be sad?

I know for some the above itinerary looks exhausting and impractically full. But the reality is, if you follow all our tips you actually can do what we do and still have plenty of relaxing times.

We are not taking middle-day breaks. I realize this seems a mistake but we prefer to push hard from rope drop to dinner and then leave for the night. And then do our night time shows on nights where we don't do rope drop. For us, this strategy generally works.

If you do your big rides during the early morning hours, you can spend the hottest part of the day in air conditioning. There are exceptions and I'm dreading them. Kiliminjaro safari will be done when it is hot. And there is no way in summer to avoid Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast in the heat. Indiana is BRUTAL and if I can avoid having to go, I will. I'm imagining myself taking a little a/c break then.

I'm also anticipating Jungle Cruise will be a bit warm. And, of course, the Pixar Parade. But, ya know, June at Disney is what it is: hot. Maybe people will agree to let me shop a tiny bit more than normal.

Tip TIME! As you walk down Main Street, walk on the sidewalks, not the street. The air conditioning from the stores pours out onto the sidewalks and it is MUCH cooler than the center of the street.

Also, never do the weird walkway from Test Track to Mexico in summer unless you MUST. It is at least 20 degrees warmer than other place on earth. I swear. Ok, at least it FEELS that way.

If you get overheated at DHS, duck into Animation Studios. There are lots of things to do in here and you can get all the way cooled down before you are done.

And at AK my tip is: don't go in June!

Ugh, I have no tips for staying cool at AK. It's completely brutal and horrific. You will sweat at 7:30 a.m. and you will get heat stroke by noon. Drink water, drink water, drink water. But seriously, my stay cool strategy is: I have us doing Lion King, lunch, and Nemo from 11:00 to 2:00. Air conditioning! Then we'll do the safari and get OUT OF THERE! Back to the house to swim. Cause people, it's gonna be hot.

That's it for now. More soon!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Whoops, decided I had one more thing to say: there are often pop up showers in the heat of the day in Florida. We never let these stop us. We put our ponchos on and slosh through it. It would stop us from riding such things as Dumbo but since we do those rides first thing anyway it has never been any issue.

Only if the rain is continuing on for some time and we are all getting very cranky about it, or if it is lightening in a dangerous way (or the tornado warning issued once), will rain chase us away. If it starts raining, by the time we walk to the front, get on a tram or bus, and walk to our room or cars, it has already stopped raining.

Don't bother. Just stay and enjoy an cooled off, empty park!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #26
DisDreamz
Mouseketeer

Your itinerary looks great! Lots of fun things to do

Interestingly, our trips overlap (we leave Tuesday 6/7 and get back Friday 6/17) and the only day we'll be at the same park is possibly Thursday, June 16 when we're scheduled for Epcot. However, this may change since on our last visit we did a "Best of..." and park hopped from park to park going on our favorite rides. The kids loved it.

We're back from the World!
A Graduation, A Birthday, and A Teenager?! Trip Report (6/7 - 6/17)

June 7-17, 2011 - Offsite, April 3-8, 2011 - FIRST SOLO TRIP - POP, Jan 4-10, 2009 - POP, Nov 2001 - POR, Nov 2000 - CB, mid-70s to February 2011 - Hundreds of DL Trips
Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDreamz View Post
Your itinerary looks great! Lots of fun things to do

Interestingly, our trips overlap (we leave Tuesday 6/7 and get back Friday 6/17) and the only day we'll be at the same park is possibly Thursday, June 16 when we're scheduled for Epcot. However, this may change since on our last visit we did a "Best of..." and park hopped from park to park going on our favorite rides. The kids loved it.
We don't overlap because there is so much to do! Disney.

We've discussed doing a best of or a game that takes you to all the parks. But ultimately, I think, that is best left until there are no strollers. For me currently it sounds exhausting but I know if all the kids could walk in their own shoes (which they put on completely by themselves) it would be fun. For a future trip!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #28
LovesBelle
Earning My Ears

That itinerary is very helpful. Thanks for posting it! We're skipping AK altogether this time--it was too hot for us last June.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #29
YensidCamper
Mouseketeer

Very sorry to hear about your recent stresses, continue to hang in there and keep the glass half full

Okay Perla just curious how you picked which days to visit which parks? We are there the exact same days and i chose differently. Wednesday we may be going to IOA HP World. We were avoiding parks with Early EMH since we are off property. AP's don't get you in early do they? We are starting our trip by taking our youngest, Simba, to DHS for the last Day of Star Wars.

I posted a message for you and Suzy on your previous TR. Hope to see the Famous clan from OH. Enjoy your trip and a drink, you've earned it.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #30
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBelle View Post
That itinerary is very helpful. Thanks for posting it! We're skipping AK altogether this time--it was too hot for us last June.
This is me in the heat. Or maybe I need a melted puddle smilie. But tigers and Expedition Everest are a huge part of our WDW experience, so we have to go. I really do love AK. I just love it better in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YensidCamper View Post
Very sorry to hear about your recent stresses, continue to hang in there and keep the glass half full

Okay Perla just curious how you picked which days to visit which parks? We are there the exact same days and i chose differently. Wednesday we may be going to IOA HP World. We were avoiding parks with Early EMH since we are off property. AP's don't get you in early do they? We are starting our trip by taking our youngest, Simba, to DHS for the last Day of Star Wars.

I posted a message for you and Suzy on your previous TR. Hope to see the Famous clan from OH. Enjoy your trip and a drink, you've earned it.
Half full for sure! We are busy, busy, but I feel very hopeful for the future. I think our hard, hard work in May will pay off.

We pick based on Touring Plans. We choose green or neutral days. We do avoid EMH as AP's don't get you in early. We also almost always start touring on Sunday and do MK first. We also like to end with MK. It's not an absolute, but it has become a tradition. This week is a bit backwards from our normal route as DHS has an extra Fantasmic. Plus, we wanted Emmy and Charming to try out for Americal Idol early in the week in case they don't get in they can have a second try later. Though I struggle to believe they won't get in. Emmy was practicing at our house Sunday and just her first go round at the song (she was reading the words off youtube while the video played) she did better than I've ever heard anyone at DHS.

Our family is interested in Star Wars Weekends but Suzy & I are avoiding at all costs. They can go if they choose. That's why you can see we have DHS solidly in the middle.

Also, we make ADRs at 180 days. But we only plan our itinerary about 6 weeks out. So when making our plan we take into account where we made ADRs. Some ADR's we cancel, but the ones we'd like to keep that we can work around, we work around.

My next chapter will be about food. But I probably won't get to it today.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: