Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #136
estherhead
DIS Veteran

On our way home from AK I had got the shopping bug as this was our last night in WDW and I hadn't crossed anything off my list. So I made Donald stop at the souvenir shop between AK and Windsor Hills. For some reason, and maybe it is because my body DOES think it will get too old for roller coasters, my neck had slowly slipped out of place on this trip. I was in a car accident when Mulan was a baby and had bad whiplash. For the most part it doesn't bother me, but I carry most of my tension in my neck. While shopping in AK I could FEEL it slipping out.

Anyway, there were a lot of speed bumps on this short journey home and they were KILLING me!

But the actual shopping was fairly enjoyable. I found this adorable headband for my niece that she still wears all the time. And a few other things that weren't too expensive.

Once home I did a trick a chiropractor taught me long ago which is to roll up a hand towel in a certain way and lay on the floor with it behind my neck for 15 minutes. If I start doing it a few times a day when I feel my neck go out, I usually can get it to go back in on its own and don't need a chiro. Saved me a bundle over the years in both money and hassles.

But we had big plans for the night as the adults were to go to Raglan Road and we had an ADR for 7 p.m. So it was hard to lay there patiently. Once my long 15 minutes were up, I took ibuprofen and ordered Flippers pizza for the kids. It's SO delicious I had a really hard time not eating it. 5 pm is way more my normal dinner time and I was hungry and it's great! But other than a little taste, I avoided it. I had yummy dinner awaiting me.

We adults showered and tried to look more decent than we had been looking. Emmy was really excited as we live in a small college town and there just isn't a lot of fun going out with adults to a real place for her here. So to go out to a real "bar" like place with adults and have dinner and drinks and live music was really exciting.

And let's be honest, it doesn't happen all that often for we married with a bunch of kids couples either. And my last date night at WDW had been marred by Mulan puking. It's just exciting in general to have Charming and Mulan be big enough to babysit.

Because we had to leave the following morning we were supposed to be packing. But none of us felt like it and we all agreed we'd just get ready early the next morning and do it then. My neck still hurt so instead of packing both Mulan and Donald massaged my neck and it hurt so bad I was nauseous. I refuse to give up EE just for a little pain, people. It was so worth the pain.

Because DTD is far away from Windsor Hills, we left around 6:30. It was raining and I didn't want to wear my white pants so I decided to wear my bathing suit cover up. I wish I had a picture of me but I don't. It really did look a lot like a dress and though I was certainly not fashionable, I did look resort casual. Good enough.

We parked near Pleasure Island and were very quickly in Raglan Road. We got seated almost immediately and got put in an intimate little room with 4 tables in it. You couldn't see the band or the dancer from it but it was quiet which was perfect for adult conversation. And you could still hear the band just fine.

Here is what we started with:

One of the reasons there aren't any pictures of us is every picture seemed to be of one of us taking a drink and Milo pointed out about halfway through that if you have a picture of you holding a beer or drink you almost always look drunk, even if you haven't even had a single bit of it yet. After looking at the photos, we all agreed and opted to delete them. You never know when a photo of you holding a drink and therefore looking drunk will find itself on Facebook (or a Disboards TR). It sounds like an inane conversation, and indeed it was. But isn't that what going out without kids for dinner and drinks is all about? Having adult stupid conversations instead of kid stupid conversations?

Not the full band like last time:

Everyone loved what they got.

Including me. I had loved what I got last time so much, I just got it over again.

After this we went into the Disney Store briefly and promptly lost Emmy which turned out to be not so brief. Once she was found, we headed to Super Target to get a few things we'd need to pack up in the morning.

I had two major things on my list: One was a coffee mug. My Mickey mug that I loved had seen better days. I had looked in every store and hadn't found one I liked as much. I did find one at Target that I loved and it was only $5.00 but you get what you pay for and this was junk. So when we go to Disneyland I will continue my search.

Second, I needed a cooler. We had been camping with friends in the spring and I had been jealous of their super awesome gigantic cooler with big wheels, a pull handle, and cup holders. And here at Super Duper Target, they had it! So we bought it and the next morning were able to transfer our cold stuff from our Windsor Hills house to our beach house. And in addition to that, we took it to the beach several times. I LOVE this cooler and it was a great purchase. Thanks Target!

And with that our day was done.

One more short WDW day, and our year of Disney would be over.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #137
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

I'm sad that your Year of Disney is almost over. I've really enjoyed reading about your family's trips. But there is your DL trip to read about when you come back. Thanks for sharing all of your great tips and tricks.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #138
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
I'm sad that your Year of Disney is almost over. I've really enjoyed reading about your family's trips. But there is your DL trip to read about when you come back. Thanks for sharing all of your great tips and tricks.
You are welcome. It was a truly amazing year.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #139
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

I've enjoyed your trip reports, too! I can't wait to hear all about Disneyland - it is on our list!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #140
AwkwardTurtle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
I know, right??? I'm still waiting for the DL times and then I'll see if we are going to do two shows in one night there. We are staying at the HOJO and I sprung for a DL view. So I'm hoping to watch fireworks from there too. I've read that there were palm trees obstructing the views but that they've cut some down now. So we're hopeful.
Hi! I'm a major lurker on your Trip Reports, I LOVE them. In response to this, if you're going to do two shows in one night at Disneyland, I highly recommend watching fireworks and then catching the second Fantasmic! showing. I've done this a zillion times, and it has never failed me as a strategy. Let me know if you want some specifics.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #141
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Hi there! Just got caught up on your adventures

Even with bumps along the way it seemed that everyone still had a great time and you were somewhat able to put the stress of work behind you, if not the work itself I was very glad to hear that your Dad is doing so much better.

One of the things that struck me as I was reading was how wonderful it is that Boo now loves the characters and runs to greet them, I remember your earlier TRs when you felt lucky if you could manage to sneak her into a picture with a character!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of this trip and your upcoming DL trip
Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #142
Lisa0620
Mouseketeer

I'm getting caught up too, really enjoying it as always.

A special shout out to Suzy re: Buzz's love of all screens. Maybe you already went on your budget trip, but if not I wanted to mention how much my Buzz (10) loved the new Sorcerer thing at MK. I kind of dragged my feet on signing up for it b/c none of us had enjoyed the Kimmunicator thing at Epcot, but we finally did it the last day and it was just a huge hit with both him and our NT 7 yo. We signed up behind the Christmas Shoppe which was way less busy than at the front of the park. Such a great time filler and I loved that the kids could cast their spells at the same time (no fighting!) I wished we had done it our first MK day too.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #143
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa0620 View Post
I'm getting caught up too, really enjoying it as always.

A special shout out to Suzy re: Buzz's love of all screens. Maybe you already went on your budget trip, but if not I wanted to mention how much my Buzz (10) loved the new Sorcerer thing at MK. I kind of dragged my feet on signing up for it b/c none of us had enjoyed the Kimmunicator thing at Epcot, but we finally did it the last day and it was just a huge hit with both him and our NT 7 yo. We signed up behind the Christmas Shoppe which was way less busy than at the front of the park. Such a great time filler and I loved that the kids could cast their spells at the same time (no fighting!) I wished we had done it our first MK day too.
Thanks for the tip! Our trip is planned for August 4th through 11th. Sorcerer's is on my list of must do's primarily because I know that Buzz will LOVE it. I'm glad to hear your endorsement because, to me, it sounds kind of one dimensional, standing in place holding up cards. But for him it will be a hit. He likes Pokemon(ish) stuff and reads Kingdom Keepers, and it kind of sounds like a mixture. I will definitely sign up in Liberty Square if it means standing in a shorter line. Do you know if they open that location at park opening?

We're trying to keep this trip a surprise for the boys (everyone but Charming). We're going to surprise them with a treasure hunt the day before we take off. They don't think we can afford to go until 2013 because we've had to carry two houses this year. But we've sold our house and I've been able to swing a very affordable trip, so SURPRISE!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #144
Lisa0620
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseful of boys View Post
Do you know if they open that location at park opening?
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know. We did all the rides first on an 8 am opening day and got there around 10 am, there was one person ahead of us. We had tried to sign up at the front of the park on our previous MK day in the afternoon and there was a line 10 deep. (One of those 'lots of CMs standing around but nothing's really happening' kind of lines... ugh.) One of their training screens was apparently down. There's almost nothing to the "training;" basically hold up the key card first so it reads who you are and where you are in the experience and then you hold up the spell cards when it tells you to cast them. A few times (the first one?) it doesn't ask you to cast a spell which was a little unexpected/disappointing. They were encouraging people to go to the Liberty location, but there were no takers because it was really hot. I don't know what the line is like in the front at rope drop.

The CM gives you as many card packs as you have tickets but they encourage you to get only packs for the kids. (We went along with this, but next time we will get 4 packs...) There are key cards in each pack, but we used one key card so the kids were playing together. It's random, so the experience can start in any Land; you could keep trying key cards until you got the Land you wanted to start in.

You're right, there isn't much to it and honestly DH and I only enjoyed it because it made the kids so happy. They liked finding the locations and the slapstick humor in the mini-movies. (If you cast a spell with Flynn's frying pan, a pan hits the villain on the head - hilarious apparently .) It's really well designed, the map and cards are great souvenirs. We saw people (WAY too many single adults...) playing with fancy binders full of cards. Several families had large stacks of cards and asked to trade duplicates with us. We were fortunate that our son didn't get "stuck" on finishing each Land and we were able to leave when the park got too crowded. Most locations are outside and the lines are mostly in full sun. I hope your kids enjoy it!

Edited to add: SO FUN about the surprise trip! I can't watch trip reveal videos on youtube without bawling. Something so extra magical about a surprise trip, I hope you do a TR!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #145
LovesBelle
Earning My Ears

Your trip reports are so terrific! I was feeling blue about not being able to get to Disney this year, but reading this let me imagine that I was there again--it was like a mini vacation. Thanks for taking the time to write all this.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #146
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
I've enjoyed your trip reports, too! I can't wait to hear all about Disneyland - it is on our list!
It's hard to believe but our DL trip is less than 2 weeks away!!! I've come on here to finish this up because the pressure's on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardTurtle View Post
Hi! I'm a major lurker on your Trip Reports, I LOVE them. In response to this, if you're going to do two shows in one night at Disneyland, I highly recommend watching fireworks and then catching the second Fantasmic! showing. I've done this a zillion times, and it has never failed me as a strategy. Let me know if you want some specifics.
Thanks for the love. I want the specifics, even if I don't use them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
Hi there! Just got caught up on your adventures

Even with bumps along the way it seemed that everyone still had a great time and you were somewhat able to put the stress of work behind you, if not the work itself I was very glad to hear that your Dad is doing so much better.

One of the things that struck me as I was reading was how wonderful it is that Boo now loves the characters and runs to greet them, I remember your earlier TRs when you felt lucky if you could manage to sneak her into a picture with a character!

Looking forward to reading about the rest of this trip and your upcoming DL trip
Yes, Boo has come a long way. She's now transferred her obsessive fear to spiders. I guess she's the kind of person who can only have one obsessive fear at a time. She and the characters truly make my trips. They are so cute together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBelle View Post
Your trip reports are so terrific! I was feeling blue about not being able to get to Disney this year, but reading this let me imagine that I was there again--it was like a mini vacation. Thanks for taking the time to write all this.
Our last day was my favorite. Stay tuned.....
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #147
estherhead
DIS Veteran

The last day of our Year of Magic:

I set my alarm the night before for 6 am. But my internal clock is bizarrely accurate and my eyes popped wide open at 5:59. So I just shut it off. I sincerely cannot remember the last time I used a snooze button. There is no need as my body just awakens at the proper time. Even if I'm really tired.

My shoulder & neck felt much, much better and I was glad I had endured the massages and neck roll the night before.

It was time to pack. The year was over.

I went into the bathroom and got ready and then went into the giant walkin closet to pack. I got myself 100% packed and started on the laundry. I figured there wouldn't be much since I'd done a load every day. I was wrong. Donald has this thing on vacation of hoarding his laundry. I ask every day as I throw a load in if he wants anything washed and he always says no or just throws in one or two things. Then there it all is in a giant stinky pile awaiting me when we pack. No matter my complaints on the subject and that it isn't like the laundry does itself when we get home, the giant pile awaits me at the end of every trip.

It filled up a full sized garbage bag.

By 7:00 I had us all packed (I snuck into the girl's room while they were still sleeping and grabbed their stuff) and coffee was made and mine, at least, was drunk. So I started in on the kitchen. For some reason the kitchen normally falls on my shoulders on trips. In general I don't mind. I'm an early riser, a quick packer, and have a good working knowledge of food safety. But this morning every time I lifted anything I wanted to yelp in pain.

But I couldn't quit. Because every second we took to pack, was a second sucked out of our last day at Magic Kingdom. And I knew the chances were I wouldn't see my castle for another 2 years. So there was NO WAY I was just sitting down and waiting till others had the time.

Instead, I made all of the children help me. I just stood in the middle next to the cooler and bags and barked orders. It actually ended up looking a lot like us putting away the groceries 6 days earlier. They were very motivated kids. Complain or stop, you don't get to re-ride your choice at MK today. That's right people, I know how to motivate.

Within 30 minutes we had that done and Donald had everything packed as well. So I laid down again on my towels hoping to reset my shoulder and neck again. Milo and Suzy were done by 8:00 and it was all men on deck to get those bags and food and people into the vans. I felt like we did amazing. We were pulling out of our delightful Disney house by 8:20.

Because we were spending the next week on the beach, we had bought double groceries at the store. Lots more to go in the van when we were leaving than came down originally.

Is it me or did Jack-Jack JUST wake up in this picture?

I called to checkout while Donald and Milo filled up at the 7-11. So expensive! Total rip-off.

We did not make rope drop. But this photo was taken at 8:59. Not too shabby, not too shabby at all.

And this one at 9:07:

Awwww...

Happy, happy people!

9:19 am:

Oh yeah! Let the party begin. Well, ok, the party has clearly already been going for several days. But, let THIS day's party begin.

My beautiful castle, how I will miss you:

Right down the middle of Main Street USA:

Yeah, we got here early enough, I'd say.

I don't have any notes on this part of the day. But I don't need notes to tell you that someone, generally Suzy or I, went and got FP's to something. That I know for certain.

I'm going to guess to Space Mountain. But, see, I didn't spend much of this day with the family. Boo and I had our own things to do. So we only hung out at the first three rides. Buzz Lightyear:

Monsters Inc (you aren't allowed photos. I snuck this one cause we got on TV):

And yes, you better believe we danced like crazy.

It's a Great Big, Beautiful Tomorrow.

Oh, that's not what it's called? Are you sure? Ok, Carrousel of Progress.

And, yes, we sing. 11 of our 12 know every single word. And we've tried to get on American Idol where good singing is always allowed. Except when it isn't. Which is always. So we sing at CoP. We know all the words and we are all on key. It makes us happy. And our happiness is just as important as other people's happiness. Where is the sticking out your tongue smiley?

And that is where Boo and Mommy left everyone. To be honest, I don't know what they did. And I don't care. Because Boo and I had a FABULOUS hour just the two of us. Sigh of delight.

We started with a turn on another carousel:

You can draw your own conclusions of our mood from the following smile:

The stepsisters were out and about wreaking havoc on Fantasyland.

They don't have a handler since they are well able to take care of themselves. Boo has a great relationship with them already and made herself comfortable as they made their way over to their little photo corner. We were first (and kind of only to begin with) and it was really nice.

She's explaining their meal together from our March trip:

And here I have no idea. But clearly Boo is explaining something about Fantasyland to them:

Even when she's with the ugly stepsisters, Boo has the princess pose DOWN flat:

I fixed Boo's hair while we were in the super short line for It's a Small World:

And then it was about 11:30 am and I was feeling a bit hungry. What should we eat? It's our last day at Disney World and I want it to be super memorable and special for my little angel.

What would you have gotten?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #148
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Yup, a strawberry and chocolate sundae for two. Was there really any other choice? That bad boy is YUMMY!

And then I decided to do another thing that I've only done once but loved: the barber shop. It always has a line. But I pondered since the crowds seemed to be on the low side this day and it was nearly noon that perhaps the line would be really short.

So we decided to risk the short walk over there to at least check out the line.

And that was when I had one of the HIGHLIGHTS of my year.

There was NO LINE and in fact there was these guys:

A barber shop quartet IN a barbershop IN Disney World. Could anything be cuter? They took Boo right away and the quartet sang to her while the barber got started on her hair. It was amazing. Just AMAZING!

Red gel streaks and pixie dust:

Look at that face!

I mean COME ON!

As we were exiting, my family arrived. They headed to the potty and then look what greeted us:

As we were watching the little parade, Team Suzy arrived.

And then that was it. Mickey and Donald waved goodbye from their float and we floated out, high on a year of magic.

I'm just glad we didn't go home.

And so were they.

Clearly, some people are still in serious vacation mode:

We actually were kind of just hanging out for a minute as we caught the first tram, and the Suzy clan did not.

Our drive to the coast was uneventful except for two things.

One, we were hungry for real food and so stopped at a McDonalds thanks to Bing. It was the only thing on this one exit except for a high security very scary prison. It was a VERY nice McDonald's. But we still high tailed it out of there pretty quick.

Two, Boo started singing Zip-a-dee-do-da in a really really funny voice. We started video taping her and she pretty much sang that song like Bing Crosby all the way to the coast.

And that's it. Unless, of course, you want a small chapter on Daytona Beach......
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #149
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And that's it. Unless, of course, you want a small chapter on Daytona Beach......
Yes, Yes! I hoped you were going to add the beach portion to your report. I understand if you don't have time - but I'd love to hear about it!

We're going to add a beach portion onto our next trip.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #150
Riviera510
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Apr1985 ~ Daytrip to Magic Kingdom
Apr1986 ~ Daytrip to Epcot
Nov2010 ~ First Family (Road)Trip to POR
Nov2012 ~ Another Roadtrip to POR. I can't wait!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: