Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #76
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Sara, can you believe I just canceled my Disney vacation? My FIL is doing poorly and he was to have come with us in January 2012. Everything is in limbo so that we can figure out what's ailing him.

So it sounds like you and Wingnut are leaning towards POR then? Decisions, decisions!
Oh Molly, I'm so sorry to hear this!! I hope your FIL gets some answers and is feeling better soon!

Most likely, maybe, we'll see...lol. I think we're going to wait until JetBlue releases its schedule, then we'll definitely (maybe) see where we're at.
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #77
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Do you know that I've never been to AKL AT ALL?!? Not to sleep, not to eat, nothing. But you always amaze me with your dedication to find a way to eat there (and eat here again. and again.).

We've never been to Le Cellier, but DH and I have a dinner ressie there for September. I've been reading that whole "salty" business lately, too. Now, I love me some salty foods, but I'm kind of getting scared...is it THAT overwhelming? Should I change our date night ADR? AHHHH!!!

I haven't mentioned this elsewhere, but my younger daughter (age 3) is in the middle of billions of GI tests right now to figure out what is going on with her digestive tract. We know it's not wheat. We know it's not CF. Might just be milk or other allergies making her intestines inflamed. If it's milk, I'm SO HAPPY that I know about those dairy-less malts because of your TR/PTR.

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #78
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

ADR contemplations, the lunch edition

First off, thank you again to everyone for your fantastic resort input!!!

I'll admit, Wilderness Lodge does have me very interested, however, at this point we are most likely going to book POFQ. (Unless a super-awesome discount is released...)

Anyways, we're waiting to book until JetBlue extends their schedule - right now you're only able to book flights through 1/3/12 - and supposedly that should happen around the end of this month, so I'll be obsessively checking their site several times a day until then.

Oh, and the park hours, them too. Is it asking too much of Disney for me to be able to plan out my ADR's before the booking window opens? I think they like driving me nuts on purpose.

Speaking of ADR's, here are some of the places we are considering for lunch...

Liberty Tree Tavern

Wingnut nor I have ever been here, but it seems like a nice lunch stop in the MK. I'm intrigued by the Tavern Fried Cheese, but Wingnut seems perturbed by the cheddar curds .

Sanaa

Inevitably, our trips turn into "how many times can we travel to Animal Kingdom Lodge for meals while visiting Animal Kingdom as few times as possible?" . Last trip was 3, and if we go to Sanaa, this will be 3 as well. Wingnut has definitely been wanting to go to Sanaa, and since I continue to deny his requests to eat at Restaurant Marrakesh, I figure I'll throw him this dining bone.

Beaches and Cream

This was the first meal of our previous trip, and we both loved it here. The atmosphere is so adorable and charming, and they have enough non-dairy options to make this lactose intolerant girl quite thrilled.

This is a non-dairy malt. I had no idea that was even possible.

(Yes, there is whipped cream on that, which has dairy. Small doses are okay with whatever part of my body loathes the lactose, and I prioritize those bits into the important dairy facets such as whipped cream.)

We don't have a lot of lunches planned out, partly because breakfasts and dinners are bigger dining priorities, and partly because we're good with counter service for lunches where we end up. I'd love to give Columbia Harbour House a try this trip (we missed it last time).

I'm beginning to contemplate switching out our Le Cellier for a different dinner. People haven't seemed wonderfully impressed with it lately, and "salty" is a description I've heard more than several times. I'd definitely rather eat somewhere not unimpressive or overly salty, given the choice.

Potentials on our ADR list right now are two repeats: Rose and Crown and La Hacienda. Perhaps one of these two can take the place of Le Cellier, and we'd then have an extra credit to use towards a lunch.

This would all be quite a bit easier to work out given some park hours...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #79
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
Do you know that I've never been to AKL AT ALL?!? Not to sleep, not to eat, nothing. But you always amaze me with your dedication to find a way to eat there (and eat here again. and again.).

We've never been to Le Cellier, but DH and I have a dinner ressie there for September. I've been reading that whole "salty" business lately, too. Now, I love me some salty foods, but I'm kind of getting scared...is it THAT overwhelming? Should I change our date night ADR? AHHHH!!!

I haven't mentioned this elsewhere, but my younger daughter (age 3) is in the middle of billions of GI tests right now to figure out what is going on with her digestive tract. We know it's not wheat. We know it's not CF. Might just be milk or other allergies making her intestines inflamed. If it's milk, I'm SO HAPPY that I know about those dairy-less malts because of your TR/PTR.
I don't know how I'd feel about actually staying at AKL - we do love the restaurants there, but it seems a bit distant from the parks we enjoy visiting. But Boma and Jiko are so great, we especially love Boma's breakfast and Jiko for dinner. Actually, I suggest Jiko for a date night ADR! (If you do decide to cancel Le Cellier.) The atmosphere there is wonderful, and the food is fantastic.

It really is too bad about what I've been reading from Le Cellier lately. I remember loving that Cheddar Cheese soup, but I'm not sure if it's worth it! Nothing like reading dining reviews to totally make you doubt all of your ADRs!

Oh man, allergy testing stinks! I hope the answer is figured out soon and your daughter is able to eat what she wants (or at least a good substitute!). I will say, if it is milk, there are SO many options out there for substitutes (not just in Disney!). In Disney, there are so many places with soy milk and other options - if milk does end up being the culprit, please let me know! I have a whole list of places in the parks that have milk substitutes (and non-dairy ice cream too!)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #80
MEK
DIS Veteran

Sanaa I loved that meal and the customer service was absolutely superb. Plus the restaurant is so freakin cool inside. I vote for that.

I also love LTT for lunch. I just made a lunch ADR there for December.

Interestingly I could not make a R&C ADR because they must have it all blocked out for the candlelight processional packages. I plan to check back.

I think in January you might have a good chance of getting a nice package at WL. Do you book through Disney or use a TA. I know I really good AAA TA who will automatically rebook your package when a code is released. She is awesome.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #81
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your Top 7 Must Do's definitely sound great! Although, yes, you did assess Wingnut and I correctly in that we are not runners (pretty much the only thing we run regularly is the dishwasher ). But I wouldn't mind a lovely stroll!
I just read this. Too funny. I will post you some pix from my trip to the roof. But it has to wait because I am actually getting for a run now and then I have to take the two cats to the vet. Such fun!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #82
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Liberty Tree Tavern is awesome for lunch! We're trying it for dinner in October, and I'm excited, but I wish we were going for lunch instead! The pot roast is SO good! (I have some weird obsession with pot roast...if it's on a menu, I order it, I don't know why! )

I personally LOVE Le Cellier, I've never found it to be salty, but that's just me. I think people expect WAY too much from Le Cellier and get some weird enjoyment from bashing it after they eat there. They expect to have some religious experience there or something and when they don't, they get mad. I love it, I'm eating there twice in October, and I'm really excited! We're going for lunch, though, because they still have the cream cheese mashed potatoes and chocolate "moose" on the lunch menu, and I can't part with either of those things!

I'd like to try Sanaa someday, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #83
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Just joining in now!

I have never stayed at POFQ or WL so I am really no help there lol If you get a good discount pin though, I would pick WL. I have been there a few times to eat and just to look around, and it really is beautiful!

You have some great ADR choices too - it makes me hungry just reading about them lol

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #84
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Sanaa I loved that meal and the customer service was absolutely superb. Plus the restaurant is so freakin cool inside. I vote for that.

I also love LTT for lunch. I just made a lunch ADR there for December.

Interestingly I could not make a R&C ADR because they must have it all blocked out for the candlelight processional packages. I plan to check back.

I think in January you might have a good chance of getting a nice package at WL. Do you book through Disney or use a TA. I know I really good AAA TA who will automatically rebook your package when a code is released. She is awesome.
Sanaa and LTT do look great, I'm really looking forward to going there! That is interesting about R&C - hopefully there are openings!

I'm hoping so too!!!! I generally book through Disney - that's great that the TA rebooks the package for you! She sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I just read this. Too funny. I will post you some pix from my trip to the roof. But it has to wait because I am actually getting for a run now and then I have to take the two cats to the vet. Such fun!
Thanks!!! I'm excited to see them!

Enjoy your run - I hope your cats are alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Liberty Tree Tavern is awesome for lunch! We're trying it for dinner in October, and I'm excited, but I wish we were going for lunch instead! The pot roast is SO good! (I have some weird obsession with pot roast...if it's on a menu, I order it, I don't know why! )

I personally LOVE Le Cellier, I've never found it to be salty, but that's just me. I think people expect WAY too much from Le Cellier and get some weird enjoyment from bashing it after they eat there. They expect to have some religious experience there or something and when they don't, they get mad. I love it, I'm eating there twice in October, and I'm really excited! We're going for lunch, though, because they still have the cream cheese mashed potatoes and chocolate "moose" on the lunch menu, and I can't part with either of those things!

I'd like to try Sanaa someday, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough!
Hahaha well pot roast is a good thing to be obsessed with! That was one of the dishes I was looking at on the menus there, the pictures of it always look so good!

I must admit, the thought of a religious experience at Le Cellier definitely has me laughing. I've eaten there several times before (including back when it was cafeteria-style!), and do have an idea of what I'm getting into. I definitely think Le Cellier became grossly overrated, which was why I was intrigued when it turned to 2 credits, but I still remember really enjoying my meals there.

Do you know I've never ever had the chocolate moose?? I know, I feel like I can't even call myself a true Disney fan (that, and I have the "not seeing Wishes" thing working against me too ) . I'm usually too enchanted by the creme brulee.

Going back to the Le Cellier of yesteryear for one more moment, did you ever go there when they had the chocolate dessert in the form of the Spaceship Earth ball? I think it was for the Millennium. Here it is! Here it is! This was probably the coolest thing in my mind when my parents and I had that!

Oh, Wingnut is the brave eater of our dining duo! I probably wouldn't consider Sanaa on my own, but he's so interested in it, he's making me interested as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Just joining in now!

I have never stayed at POFQ or WL so I am really no help there lol If you get a good discount pin though, I would pick WL. I have been there a few times to eat and just to look around, and it really is beautiful!

You have some great ADR choices too - it makes me hungry just reading about them lol
Welcome!!!

Hahaha that's alright, I've never stayed at either too! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for a code, but POFQ doesn't seem like it will be a bad choice either!

Thanks! Hahaha I get hungry while Disney planning too!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #85
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

A story...

So this past winter, my parents went to Disney as well, a little before Wingnut and I went. Before they had left on their trip, my mom and I began to scheme.

(I had had plenty of time to sit around and scheme that year )

I had seen the numbers for the phone booths in the U.K. (World Showcase edition) posted on the Dis, and got the idea to call my dad while he just happened to be in or around the phone booth (my mom was in charge of plot setup).

According to plan, while my parents strolled around the World Showcase, my mom suggested she take a picture of my dad in one of the phone booths. He agreed, and posed by the phone booth while she stalled for time.

"Dad's in the middle phone booth!!!" the text message read.

Instantly I raced to make the call, hoping he wasn't on to our plot.

The phone rang.

"The phone's ringing..." my dad apparently said, a bit surprised.

"Answer it!!!"

"Hello?"

"HI DAD!!!!!!!!!!"

"Sara?!?!?!?!?" he was completely surprised (and happy too ), and my mom and I were entirely thrilled that our Disney plot worked.

Happy Father's day Dad!!!! I love you!

(And for anyone else that would like to give their friends or family or random strangers a call:

Left phone booth: 407-827-9862
Center phone booth: 407-827-9863
Right phone booth:407-827-9861 (Although I think this phone is part of the Kim Possible game and doesn't actually work) )

Happy Fathers day!!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #86
kmrein
Mouseketeer

Oh my gosh, what a cool story (especially for Father's Day)! How sweet. There is something about a dad in Disney World....I am beyond excited that my Dad will be with us on our next trip.

Thanks for sharing, what a cute idea!

1989-first trip (off-site); 1997/2011-Port Orleans FQ
2004/05/07/08/10-Fort Wilderness Campground
2010-Polynesian Resort

2012-Disneyland (Grand Californian/Paradise Pier)

"If your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme..."
kmrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #87
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

That is a GREAT story!! Thanks for those numbers, too! I love the UK pavilion. I spent three summers in London and miss it very much, and this is the closest I'll get for a while since I now have three little kids. Less than three months...

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #88
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Cute Father's Day story!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #90
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love that you called your dad in Epcot! That is priceless!!!!! He looks so shocked to hear from you. Great timing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: