Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #61
MeMom
DIS Veteran

From a Thanksgiving trip.

From another trip, looking from the balcony toward the pool.
Wave at Jill and a baby Brooklynn down there.

From Summer 2010.

I'll stop now. Just thought it might help you picture yourself there, or you might not like that rustic feel. We do, so it works for us, but some people don't care for that theme.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.

Last edited by MeMom; 06-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #62
tankgirl427
DIS Veteran

Sorry can't help since about the where to stay. We have a few breakfast and dinner places picked out the same! After doing an early morning CP I now have to do it every trip. It was just so peaceful and quite to have the street to the small group of people there. Most people were in a rush to get straight to breakfast, but we took the time to walk the street and get PP photos done. One turned out to be our holiday card.

Maybe some of our days and meals will match up!

"You held me down, but I got up, Get ready cause I’ve had enough."

PHM 2015-In Pursuit of Cupcakes While Running in Glass Slippers

Pre 2006 doesn't count, 2006: Dolphin, 2006: 16 hours of MK & EP, 2009: DL, 2010: PC with DDP, 2011: Off-site with friends & PC, 2012: AKL & BLT, POFQ, 2013: POP, POP, DL, POP
tankgirl427 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #63
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Okay, I lied, I have a few more.

If you will look up over the lighted reindeer over the door, that's where those out of the way sitting areas are.

If you go past the Mercantile and out the doors on the left, the arcade is on the right, and the walkway leads to the Villas.

Looking down on Artist Pointe.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to spend a little while sitting here reading or daydreaming?

Now, I think I'm done. Not that that is all of my WL pictures, but it gace you a good idea of what it's like.

Oh, wait!
I haven't shown you room pictures.

I'll find those in a little bit.

Be back later...
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #64
MeMom
DIS Veteran

The entrance.

Out on our porch. We had connecting rooms on the ground floor right over by the walkway to the beach and Villas.

Movie on the beach.

EWP from the beach.

Our wonderful waiter, Raphael, made himself at home with my family.

The rooms.

I wasn't crazy about the bedsreads, but to be honest, I don't think Disney World does a very good job on any of their bedspreads.

Out the sliding glass door to the left was the beach, bike rentals, and the Villas.

From our rooms to the beach.

In the back of the Mercantile.

Now I am possibly done.
Really.
Truly.
Hope that helped.
Like I said, the rustic feel may not be for you guys, but it is our style, and we felt very much at home there.

Last edited by MeMom; 06-14-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #65
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

WOO-HOO!! A PTR! I'm working on my first PTR as well (3 months and 3 days left!), and I hope to do a great TR just like you did. I lurked on both the TR and dining report and I'm so excited to read more from the two of you!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #66
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

OMG!!! Stay in the Wilderness Lodge, you will love it! It's my favorite Disney resort (I mean, I've only stayed in 4-ASMu, POR, BC and WL-but WL is special to me!)!! It's so beautiful, and peaceful, and I love the boat ride to MK, I love being in the MK area, which is weird, because I'm an Epcot girl, but Epcot is just a monorail ride away! I'm sure you guys would like POFQ, but I think you would love WL! I didn't want to repeat any resorts until we tried them all, and we're already going back to WL, that's how much we love it!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #67
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
As I'm sure you've noticed, the 2012 packages have been released (early!!! ), so if you heard a shriek of excitement on Sunday, well, that was just me .

(Wingnut, to no one's surprise, did not shriek with excitement. )

I began pricing out POFQ, with the dining plan options (we are probably going to go with the deluxe dining plan again on this trip. Yes, I know it's a ton of food, but well...we eat a ton of food )

After those numbers were acquired, contemplations ensued again. Just for kicks, I priced out a couple more resort options (just to see how the prices compared), but told Wingnut I was pretty sure we'd be staying at POFQ nonetheless.

"Why do you say that?" he asked, checking out the resort I was mid-pricing.

"That's just what I thought the plan was" I replied, starting to get a bit excited.

"What's this one like?" Wingnut started looking at resort pictures online with me.

So friends, as you may or may not have anticipated (I didn't anticipate this at all, honestly!), another resort has entered Stringbean and Wingnut's vacation radar. It's one I've always been intrigued by, and we are definitely not set on it yet, but are still trying to decide whether it is worth it to try, or stick with POFQ.

Curious?

(a little bit of [probably unnecessary] anticipatory buildup)

Port Orleans French Quarter vs. Wilderness Lodge

Has anyone stayed there and have opinions. Really, even if you've stepped foot in the place, you've had more experience there than us! I would love to hear any thoughts!!!
I know! I saw that too, that the packages were out EARLY! I can only hope and dream that it means come discounts will soon follow...

Oh girl, if you're debating between POFQ and WL, go with the WL! I've always, always, always wanted to stay there but alas, it's not designed for families of five or more (unless we want a suite). DH drools whenever we enter that grand foyer, it's like the mother ship calling him home!

Also, I don't think the DxDP is too much food, particularly if you do some signatures. Hey, it's all about the food (and Epcot obviously ). Your ADR choices look great, I'm considering Kouzzina now after your stellar reviews.

Things are looking good Sara! Thanks goodness Wingnut was peering over your shoulder during your resort pricing.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #68
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
We love Wilderness Lodge, but we pretty much love every Disney resort, so that could be of little help.

Maybe these pictures can give you an idea of whether you would feel at home there.

Now I am possibly done.
Really.
Truly.
Hope that helped.
Like I said, the rustic feel may not be for you guys, but it is our style, and we felt very much at home there.
WOW MeMom!!!! Thank you for the awesome virtual tour of WL!!!! I love seeing your pics, the resort looks gorgeous! I can definitely see why you love staying there!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #69
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
Sorry can't help since about the where to stay. We have a few breakfast and dinner places picked out the same! After doing an early morning CP I now have to do it every trip. It was just so peaceful and quite to have the street to the small group of people there. Most people were in a rush to get straight to breakfast, but we took the time to walk the street and get PP photos done. One turned out to be our holiday card.

Maybe some of our days and meals will match up!
That would be so fun if some of our plans matched up! I definitely want to do the early morning CP, it sounds like such a cool experience! I was wondering if PP photographers are out then before the park is actually open, you just answered my question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
WOO-HOO!! A PTR! I'm working on my first PTR as well (3 months and 3 days left!), and I hope to do a great TR just like you did. I lurked on both the TR and dining report and I'm so excited to read more from the two of you!
Thank you so much!!! Welcome, I'm glad to have you on board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
OMG!!! Stay in the Wilderness Lodge, you will love it! It's my favorite Disney resort (I mean, I've only stayed in 4-ASMu, POR, BC and WL-but WL is special to me!)!! It's so beautiful, and peaceful, and I love the boat ride to MK, I love being in the MK area, which is weird, because I'm an Epcot girl, but Epcot is just a monorail ride away! I'm sure you guys would like POFQ, but I think you would love WL! I didn't want to repeat any resorts until we tried them all, and we're already going back to WL, that's how much we love it!
Hahaha sounds like you definitely love it there! It really does look beautiful and peaceful, but still pretty close to everything. And I saw that there's a boat to the Contemporary too? That might make getting to the monorail easy too, right?

I especially liked hearing that you love Epcot and enjoy staying there. I definitely always want to be within easy access to my favorite Worlds - Showcase and Future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
I know! I saw that too, that the packages were out EARLY! I can only hope and dream that it means come discounts will soon follow...

Oh girl, if you're debating between POFQ and WL, go with the WL! I've always, always, always wanted to stay there but alas, it's not designed for families of five or more (unless we want a suite). DH drools whenever we enter that grand foyer, it's like the mother ship calling him home!

Also, I don't think the DxDP is too much food, particularly if you do some signatures. Hey, it's all about the food (and Epcot obviously ). Your ADR choices look great, I'm considering Kouzzina now after your stellar reviews.

Things are looking good Sara! Thanks goodness Wingnut was peering over your shoulder during your resort pricing.
Oh I am DEFINITELY hoping the same thing about the discounts too!!! Fingers crossed...(when are they generally released????)

Boo that stinks that the room size isn't accommodating for you guys! Would you consider one of the villas at all? I feel like a "real-world-ish" sort of setup with a kitchen and laundry right there would take away the vacation vibe just a teensy bit. But I'm sure that's really convenient too!

We definitely have enjoyed doing the signature meals, and really want to do more, so the DDxP does make sense for us. But looking at it all at once does make me feel like a bit of a piggy!!!

You should SO try Kouzzina!! Are you thinking breakfast or dinner? I've loved both there, with a slight favor towards breakfast. And I just asked Wingnut, and he said that he enjoyed the dinner slightly more, but said that the restaurant is great for both .

Hahaha hopefully we make a decision soon...I'm so excited to book it!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #70
3prettyprincesses

Quote:
Oh I am DEFINITELY hoping the same thing about the discounts too!!! Fingers crossed...(when are they generally released????)
I'm not entirely sure, my TA said that there's been a nice room discount (35-40% deluxes) historically every year for the last seven years. I think Mousesavers has something that addresses discount releases in past years. Do you get that newsletter?

Quote:
Boo that stinks that the room size isn't accommodating for you guys! Would you consider one of the villas at all? I feel like a "real-world-ish" sort of setup with a kitchen and laundry right there would take away the vacation vibe just a teensy bit. But I'm sure that's really convenient too!
Ya, I'm kind of anti-villa for the very reason you mentioned! A kitchen area would make it feel like home and then I'd feel like I have to clean up and well, no good can come of that!

Quote:
We definitely have enjoyed doing the signature meals, and really want to do more, so the DDxP does make sense for us. But looking at it all at once does make me feel like a bit of a piggy!!!
We love signature meals too! This next trip were hitting California Grill, Narcoossee's, Le Cellier, and the Hollywood Brown Derby. Of course all of this is dependant on me actually getting an ADR first!

Quote:
You should SO try Kouzzina!! Are you thinking breakfast or dinner? I've loved both there, with a slight favor towards breakfast. And I just asked Wingnut, and he said that he enjoyed the dinner slightly more, but said that the restaurant is great for both .
I'm soooo tempted to try it! I like new places and it seems they handle food allergies well here too. Breakfast is actually my favorite meal of the day so maybe that would be a good choice.

Quote:
Hahaha hopefully we make a decision soon...I'm so excited to book it!
Soooo, did you decide on the WL then?? It's probably smart that you waited to book. I went ahead and booked two weeks ago, a room only reservation. Then the new packages came out EARLY so I had to cancel that ressie and rebook a package. So dumb because they have to refund me my original deposit which takes a couple of weeks but then they charge my new deposit right away. Ok, that was much too wordy!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #71
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure, my TA said that there's been a nice room discount (35-40% deluxes) historically every year for the last seven years. I think Mousesavers has something that addresses discount releases in past years. Do you get that newsletter?
That is a nice room discount! Is that for January, or just overall historically? I've been on the moussavers site, but didn't know they had a newsletter! More Disney info to read!!!

Quote:
Ya, I'm kind of anti-villa for the very reason you mentioned! A kitchen area would make it feel like home and then I'd feel like I have to clean up and well, no good can come of that!
Hahaha yeah, I like to be as detached as possible from real world stuff like a dishwasher and laundry machines when at Disney.

Quote:
We love signature meals too! This next trip were hitting California Grill, Narcoossee's, Le Cellier, and the Hollywood Brown Derby. Of course all of this is dependant on me actually getting an ADR first!
Hahaha I know, I'm over here going "we're going to Artist Point, and California Grill...". No. We just WANT to go to those places at this point! If I visualize the ADR's, does that mean that they'll come true? Are you doing the DDxP too?

Quote:
I'm soooo tempted to try it! I like new places and it seems they handle food allergies well here too. Breakfast is actually my favorite meal of the day so maybe that would be a good choice.
Kouzzina has definitely been great with my food allergies, I'm sure that they'll be wonderful with you as well! It's nice there for breakfast, they have some basic things, but some more unique items as well. I like menus like that. Like you can be all awesome and adventurous, but if you're just really feeling pancakes, they're there too

Quote:
Soooo, did you decide on the WL then?? It's probably smart that you waited to book. I went ahead and booked two weeks ago, a room only reservation. Then the new packages came out EARLY so I had to cancel that ressie and rebook a package. So dumb because they have to refund me my original deposit which takes a couple of weeks but then they charge my new deposit right away. Ok, that was much too wordy!
Argh, no definite final decision yet! But it's starting to lean back in the direction of POFQ, at least until we're able to see what discounts and codes are offered (not just theorizing about them!). We'll see though. I'm like a metronome when it comes to making decisions .

So you changed your room-only to a package now? Just when we think we've got Disney all figured out, they go and switch things up, right? Are you all set now?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #72
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I've been to both resorts but only stayed at WL. I have to say, I loved it there. Like MeMom said, if you like that rustic, log cabin feel, its fantastic. You have to boat launch to MK (I know you guys are Epcot people but the TTC is not to far away either! I didn't care too much for POFQ because I don't really like that New Orleans/Mardi Gras feel but thats just me. The theming there is great too though!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #73
MEK
DIS Veteran

I would love to post some pictures of WL now, but I obviously can't. VWL is one of my home resorts, so clearly I am fond of the place. I have only stayed in the villas.

I have to admit that its a little strange to stay someplace that's not beachy while in Florida, but this resort has some wonderful assests.

1. The boat ride - lovely
2. The grounds and the geyser - so unique.
4. The pools - again - really cool.
5. Ranger Joe - my favorite. He is awesome and if you do nothing else you must take the lodge tour with him. It's offered most days at 0900 and is so interesting and informative.
6. Artist Point - one of my favorite all around dining experiences. Going back in December.
7. Running around the lake and to Fort Wilderness - OK - I know you guys don't run, but I really enjoyed this.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #74
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
I've been to both resorts but only stayed at WL. I have to say, I loved it there. Like MeMom said, if you like that rustic, log cabin feel, its fantastic. You have to boat launch to MK (I know you guys are Epcot people but the TTC is not to far away either! I didn't care too much for POFQ because I don't really like that New Orleans/Mardi Gras feel but thats just me. The theming there is great too though!
Both themes definitely look like fun! Hahaha, don't worry, I already looked into being able to easily get to Epcot!! (Priorities are in order!)

I think the only part of the theme at POFQ that would bug me are the giant masks leering down at you in Sassagoula Floatworks. I'd feel like I was being watched .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I would love to post some pictures of WL now, but I obviously can't. VWL is one of my home resorts, so clearly I am fond of the place. I have only stayed in the villas.

I have to admit that its a little strange to stay someplace that's not beachy while in Florida, but this resort has some wonderful assests.

1. The boat ride - lovely
2. The grounds and the geyser - so unique.
4. The pools - again - really cool.
5. Ranger Joe - my favorite. He is awesome and if you do nothing else you must take the lodge tour with him. It's offered most days at 0900 and is so interesting and informative.
6. Artist Point - one of my favorite all around dining experiences. Going back in December.
7. Running around the lake and to Fort Wilderness - OK - I know you guys don't run, but I really enjoyed this.
I'd love to see your pics of WL! I think part of the resort that intrigues me is that it isn't all beachy, it seems like such a fun departure from the Floridian norm!

Your Top 7 Must Do's definitely sound great! Although, yes, you did assess Wingnut and I correctly in that we are not runners (pretty much the only thing we run regularly is the dishwasher ). But I wouldn't mind a lovely stroll!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #75
3prettyprincesses

Quote:
So you changed your room-only to a package now? Just when we think we've got Disney all figured out, they go and switch things up, right? Are you all set now?
Sara, can you believe I just canceled my Disney vacation? My FIL is doing poorly and he was to have come with us in January 2012. Everything is in limbo so that we can figure out what's ailing him.

So it sounds like you and Wingnut are leaning towards POR then? Decisions, decisions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: