Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #46
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Hence the reason I am a DVC owner. I figured that was the only way I would get near a deluxe resort. I am just too cheap to pay the rates. Even with a discount it would be hard to keep paying deluxe prices as often as I like to go.

Exactly. I got that room with an AP rate and it was extraordinarily reasonable. I loved it and was sad I was only there for a night. I do think you will enjoy the resort. Not the YC, but a good comprimise. And the boat to DTD is such a plus.

He would probably run for the hills!

I really don't know about the refurb, but I guess its quite possible. In which case, even better!
I think that POFQ will be a nice experience! It does seem like a somewhat compromise between the moderates and the deluxes, given the size of the resort, the bus stop vs stops, etc.

I mentioned the possibility of a princess room to Wingnut, and he was pretty unenthusiastic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl427 View Post
Here's Su-Lynn's photos of the refurbished rooms that sold me:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=48

Honestly, I booked room only so I could figure out how much it was going to be since I'm paying for the entire trip in January. Its just nice to have a $ amount to play with.
Thanks for sharing that link! The rooms do look really nice. I love the colors they used. (And I have the same sparkly ears that they got! )

That's a good idea. It stinks not being able to really price things out! I've been randomly selecting dates to get an idea of prices, I can't wait until everything is up on the site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I really, really like POFQ. I like that it isn't huge, the grounds are really pretty, and there's a boat to DtD. Beignets are also mighty nifty to have close by!
Alright, everyone is really starting to sell me on POFQ! All of those things are definite plusses to me as well, I'm glad to hear those are aspects you enjoyed as well! Actually, we've never even tried the beignets! We're just intrigued by them (same concept with a Dole Whip (me) and a Mickey Bar (Wingnut) lol).
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #47
kmrein
Mouseketeer

I love POFQ! I stayed there once with my family as a kid and we are going back in December with my whole family and planning to stay there again! I am really excited about the refurbished rooms, the location, and the size-plus I love the boatride to Downtown Disney.

My husband and I go to Disney about once a year, and usually camp at Fort Wilderness. Well, last year, we splurged on the Poly and I had the same worries that I'd never be able to go back! But the more I plan our December trip and research POFQ, the more excited I am getting. I think it's going to be great!

1989-first trip (off-site); 1997/2011-Port Orleans FQ
2004/05/07/08/10-Fort Wilderness Campground
2010-Polynesian Resort

2012-Disneyland (Grand Californian/Paradise Pier)

"If your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme..."
kmrein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #48
OrangeJuice
Mouseketeer

Hello! I enjoyed your last TR and dining review. So I'll be following this PTR

OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #49
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrein View Post
I love POFQ! I stayed there once with my family as a kid and we are going back in December with my whole family and planning to stay there again! I am really excited about the refurbished rooms, the location, and the size-plus I love the boatride to Downtown Disney.

My husband and I go to Disney about once a year, and usually camp at Fort Wilderness. Well, last year, we splurged on the Poly and I had the same worries that I'd never be able to go back! But the more I plan our December trip and research POFQ, the more excited I am getting. I think it's going to be great!
POFQ definitely sounds great! Disney in December is lots of fun, you get to see all of the holiday decorations up!

I think that when switching between the resort levels, you just have to go into it appreciating what the resort has to offer, not comparing it to what other resorts have. (Hopefully that's as easy to do as it is to say! )

I'd loveeeee to stay at the Poly. There and the Boardwalk are the next resorts I really want to try. I agree, it's kind of easy to get excited about POFQ, it has a lot of fun aspects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
Hello! I enjoyed your last TR and dining review. So I'll be following this PTR
Thank you!! Welcome!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #50
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

ADR contemplations, the breakfast edition

Have I mentioned that Wingnut and I love to deliberate our dining schedule and plan? I think I did. For our December trip, I think our ADR's changed no less than 20 times (and if that is an exaggeration, it isn't by a lot ).

So the ADR's we are contemplating now are very very subject to change. But they've stayed the same for a week, which is actually pretty impressive! Admittedly, I'm the Great ADR Magician of our duo, swapping and switching things around while Wingnut haplessly inquires "we're still going to be eating at Kona Cafe, right?"

Yes, we are.

At this point.

So breakfast! The most important meal of the day! Wingnut and I enjoy having a sit-down breakfast before hitting the parks, we aren't really "grab CS at the resort" kind of people.

Early morning is my least tolerance for lines, you see.

So far we've got:

Kona Cafe

How can you go to Disney World and not get breakfast at Kona Cafe, I ask you? Unique offerings, great location to get to MK, and my favorite hot chocolate (at least, out of the ones I've tried )

Boma

This was one ADR that Wingnut was insistent on. I think this was his favorite breakfast of the trip, and I definitely enjoyed it as well.

(Goat cheese scrambled eggs = )

Kouzzina

This is one of my favorite breakfasts in Disney - the Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast. It's awesome.

Grand Floridian Cafe

Also tied for my favorite breakfast in Disney is the Steak and Eggs here. Seriously. Awesome. This is Wingnut with his beloved frozen cappuccino.

Crystal Palace

This one is new for us, but comes highly recommended from Wingnut's family. Anywhere that has chocolate Mickey waffles is good with me! We're not really character-seeking people, but they don't seem to be deterring Wingnut from this one .

We seem to be one breakfast ADR idea short of the days we will be staying...any suggestions??
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #51
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

ADR contemplations, the dinner edition

While it doesn't necessarily make more sense in real life to have dinner before lunch, I'm thinking it makes more sense to discuss our dinner plans before our lunch plans.

(It probably doesn't)

For our dinner ADRs, we are thinking about going to all new restaurants (for us), with one exception. With that said, this has the potential to be a pretty picture-light update.

Random and completely unrelated Disney pictures to the rescue!!!

Via Napoli

...where I am assuming they won't have Phineas and Ferb mac and cheese...

I've been intrigued by Via Napoli since it opened. I always say that I have very little interest in seeking out Italian food while away, since we have a plethora of fabulous Italian food nearby (especially if you count the nights that Wingnut cooks ).

However, this just seems intriguing. I want to try the prosciutto and melon pizza. Wingnut thinks melon on a pizza sounds weird.

Le Cellier

...where I'm pretty sure they won't have anything on the menu to turn Wingnut's tongue bright orange...

Alright, I've been to Le Cellier several times in the past, actually. But never with Wingnut, and not since it has risen to its lofty 2-credit status. I enjoyed Le Cellier, and am interested to see what has changed. And have some cheddar cheese soup.

That better not have changed.

Artist Point

...where I doubt that Irish step dancing would be on the entertainment schedule...

I had really really wanted to go to Artist Point on our last trip, but during the great ADR shuffle, it just kept being a reservation behind our must-do list. This time, I am set on going. I am especially looking forward to seeing the Wilderness Lodge, I've never been there but the pictures look absolutely gorgeous.

California Grill

...which, while it is on the 14th (I believe?) floor of the Contemporary, I don't believe we'll need spacesuits to be that high up...

This was actually on our ADR roster for quite some time last year. It got swapped in the very end for Narcoosees.

It seems like California Grill gets a lot of hype, and quite a bit of negative feedback too. I'm thinking that we will probably try to make our reservations around sunset, as I've heard one too many tales of the dining room being loud during the vicinity of Wishes.

Citricos

...and as much as I doubt these are on the menu, that is about how much I think that would entirely awesome...

Citricos was another restaurant I was rooting for last year, but didn't make the cut (it was victim to being decreed as "interesting appetizers and desserts, not-as-interesting entrees").

(And yes, as we will be dining in the Grand Floridian again, I am very much hoping for another one of these awesome treats again)

And for our one repeat...

...any guesses?

JIKO!

To say that we loved this meal is pretty much the biggest understatement of ever. Jiko was absolutely wonderful, and we definitely cannot wait to go back.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #52
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

*drool*
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #53
MEK
DIS Veteran

Awesomely good ADRs and your you tube video cracked me up. Seriously, I am just like that. I hate lines! Yeah - I would work the frie machine just to get things moving in McD's too.

That cappuccino looks amazing! I remember drooling over that once before. Thanks for the torture! And I can't believe I can see your pix. It must just photobucket I can't see.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #54
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great ADR choices! All the breakfast picks look good, I can't even suggest one because my 2 favorites are Boma and Crystal Palace, and you have both of those!

Your dinner choices look great too, and I love the unrelated pictures! I can't wait to try Artist Point, I think I'm most excited about that ADR!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #55
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Love the ADR list. We hardly ever do sit down breakfasts, but you've inspired me to try to add a few for our next trip!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #56
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
*drool*
Hahaha Disney food does that to me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Awesomely good ADRs and your you tube video cracked me up. Seriously, I am just like that. I hate lines! Yeah - I would work the frie machine just to get things moving in McD's too.

That cappuccino looks amazing! I remember drooling over that once before. Thanks for the torture! And I can't believe I can see your pix. It must just photobucket I can't see.
Thanks!!! (well hopefully we are able to get those! )

Hahaha I think John Pinette is hilarious. It's so true. I cannot deal with lines. I'm standing there like "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon WHY IS EVERYONE ELSE SO CALM?!?!?!"

I have problems seeing the Photobucket pics on certain computers - these are on Flickr - glad you're able to see them!! (no, not just so I can torment you with frozen Disney confections...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great ADR choices! All the breakfast picks look good, I can't even suggest one because my 2 favorites are Boma and Crystal Palace, and you have both of those!

Your dinner choices look great too, and I love the unrelated pictures! I can't wait to try Artist Point, I think I'm most excited about that ADR!
Thanks!!! Ooh I'm glad to hear you like CP! It looks like a fun buffet, and I am definitely hoping to get into the MK a little early!

Hahaha I figured that would break up a post filled with text. More unrelated pics to come with our potential lunch ADRs!

I SO SO SO cannot wait to go to Artist Point. It has intrigued me for too long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Love the ADR list. We hardly ever do sit down breakfasts, but you've inspired me to try to add a few for our next trip!
Thank you!!!!

I enjoy doing the sit-down breakfasts, food in the morning is pretty crucial to maintaining my personable demeanor, and a sit-down breakfast is a nice chance to sit, eat, and relax before a fun Disney day! I do see the appeal of getting up and grabbing a bagel or cinnamon roll and going though!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #57
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And for our one repeat...

...any guesses?

JIKO!

To say that we loved this meal is pretty much the biggest understatement of ever. Jiko was absolutely wonderful, and we definitely cannot wait to go back.
It's nice to have places like this. When Jill and I had our first steak at Kona, we immediately knew we had to bring the guys back there on the next trip. We couldn't wait to share it with them!

That big glass of ice cream in calling my name.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #58
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
It's nice to have places like this. When Jill and I had our first steak at Kona, we immediately knew we had to bring the guys back there on the next trip. We couldn't wait to share it with them!

That big glass of ice cream in calling my name.
I so agree. I'm really excited to try a bunch of new places, but returning to the ones you loved is a great feeling.

(I really should have tried the steak at Kona, I think. I still feel like I ordered wrong there, since so many people love it.)

Hahaha Wingnut will always find the most ice-creamy beverage on the menu, be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or anytime else!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #59
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Before I post our lunch ideas...

As I'm sure you've noticed, the 2012 packages have been released (early!!! ), so if you heard a shriek of excitement on Sunday, well, that was just me .

(Wingnut, to no one's surprise, did not shriek with excitement. )

I began pricing out POFQ, with the dining plan options (we are probably going to go with the deluxe dining plan again on this trip. Yes, I know it's a ton of food, but well...we eat a ton of food )

After those numbers were acquired, contemplations ensued again. Just for kicks, I priced out a couple more resort options (just to see how the prices compared), but told Wingnut I was pretty sure we'd be staying at POFQ nonetheless.

"Why do you say that?" he asked, checking out the resort I was mid-pricing.

"That's just what I thought the plan was" I replied, starting to get a bit excited.

"What's this one like?" Wingnut started looking at resort pictures online with me.

So friends, as you may or may not have anticipated (I didn't anticipate this at all, honestly!), another resort has entered Stringbean and Wingnut's vacation radar. It's one I've always been intrigued by, and we are definitely not set on it yet, but are still trying to decide whether it is worth it to try, or stick with POFQ.

Curious?

(a little bit of [probably unnecessary] anticipatory buildup)

Port Orleans French Quarter vs. Wilderness Lodge

Has anyone stayed there and have opinions. Really, even if you've stepped foot in the place, you've had more experience there than us! I would love to hear any thoughts!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #60
MeMom
DIS Veteran

We love Wilderness Lodge, but we pretty much love every Disney resort, so that could be of little help.

Maybe these pictures can give you an idea of whether you would feel at home there.

Walking from the boat dock up toward the Lodge.

The geyser.

The shopping place.

I have a lot more Mercantile pictures in other batches, too. There are clothes, toys, and the regular souvenir items, along with a small food selection.

If you throw a quarter in here and wish for a baby, amazing things happen!

The fireplace is done in the actual layers of the Grand Canyon.

There are so many sitting areas in this lobby, and there are more on the levels above - cozy little nooks to hang out and talk. I have pictures in another batch; I'll look for those later.

If you've never stayed at Wilderness Lodge, I'd go for it. It has a cozy feel to it, and I'm always in for trying new places when I can afford it.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: