Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
phabric
DIS Veteran

Passport expires 2 months after trip to USA?

We will be flying from Toronto to Las Vegas at Christmas time. Our passports expiry in Feb. Will we have any problems crossing and returning to Canada. Someone mentioned the passports have to be good for 6 months after you enter or is it only some countries. I don't want to get new passports until Feb.
phabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I've heard that "six month" rule before too. I did have a friend that got held up over the issue but that was coming back in to the US with a Canadian passport, traveling internationally. That might be one of those rules that's open to interpretation with the border officials and you'll never get a definite answer. I can see why an expiring passport might be a red flag to someone planning on staying in the country illegally.

Personally I think you're better off just going ahead and getting your renewals done before your trip and then you don't have to think/worry about it.
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
tgropp
DIS Veteran

I would get a new passporteven though it has the 2 months. I remember travelling in the states a few years back and we had 9 months left till renewal and the customs agent in Fort lauderdale told us that we had to replace it when we got home. Sounds stupid but I would hate to get held up at the border.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
ccudmore
DIS Veteran

You do indeed need to have a passport that is valid for 6 months from the date you go across the border in order to get across. The reason is that, when you go across the border, they are granting you a 6 month tourist visa regardless of how long you say you're staying. 6 months is the maximum you're allowed to stay in the U.S. without getting a different kind of visa. If they actually stamp your passport the stamp would say something to the effect that they are granting you 6 months in the country without working.

So they can't grant you a visa that goes beyond the expiry date of the passport. Expect to be turned back at the border if the passport isn't good for 6 months.
ccudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

Why not simply check the Canadian Government web site for passport rules. You will have the correct answer rather than peoples guesses. Travel between Canada and the USA is much easier than to other countries...

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=110

Does my passport need to be valid for a specified length of time prior to the date of entry into the United States?

No, as long as the passport is valid the day you return to Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!

This was my question a couple months back. Here is what happened. Went to Arizona at the beginning of March. My passport expired May 15th.

Going down US security said when are you coming back? I told him when and he said you do realize your passport expires in May? I replied yes is that a problem? Both CDN and US security said if its good going down and coming back your fine. I said what about the six month rule? He said that rule only applies for International travel outside of the US. I asked CDN security coming back and they said we will take you even if your passport expires while away coming home because you are a CDN citizen entering your own country. Of course I would not recommend that but that was what I was told.
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

You are fine with your current passport. The 6 month rule only applies to some countries - Canada is exempt.
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...n_04162008.pdf

I actually printed this out and took it with me on our last trip when my passport had only 3 months left, just in case I had a problem, but it was fine.
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
aristocat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

We were at the World in Feb/March and my 4 year old's passport expired in April. We were allowed there and back and no one even mentioned it. I was kind of surprised to find this thread and am happy I did not have any issues crossing the border, especially since we were driving and could have been seen as a larger risk to try to stay illegally.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

I have crossed the border back into Canada several times in the last 2 years where I was not asked for a passport. In my experience it is always leaving the Country going to the US that is the issue. I would rather give the US border patrol my dna and a thumb print to relax when I cross the border.
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

My DD lives and works in New York City...she was home for the Memorial day weekend and returned last nite to NYC. The US Immigration officer told her that 'should' she come home for Christmas (which of course she will) she better renew her passport then because it expires in April 2012 and she will be refused entry back into the U.S after the holidays. Meanwhile..her home is there...her employer is there. Now, he may just be having a lousy day..but does one want to take that chance?

I think the issue would never be coming back into Canada but the U.S guys....sometimessss they are just plain difficult.
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

THe 6 month rules does not apply to Canadians, Checked it a while back on the US Consulate site.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
tone.def
My Mommy told me I look pretty all the time - even when I'm stressed!!!
Last trip I brought little "moose droppings"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanospops View Post
We were at the World in Feb/March and my 4 year old's passport expired in April. We were allowed there and back and no one even mentioned it. I was kind of surprised to find this thread and am happy I did not have any issues crossing the border, especially since we were driving and could have been seen as a larger risk to try to stay illegally.
Children under 16 can still drive through with birth certificates.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/ls-tm-eng.html

MAY 2013 - ART OF ANIMATION RESORT
DECEMBER 2011 - CORONADO SPRINGS & 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic & ALL STAR MUSIC RESORT
FEBRUARY 2011 - ALL STAR MOVIES RESORT
MARCH 2010 - ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
JANUARY 2010 - BEACH CLUB RESORT
JUNE 2008 - ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
DECEMBER 2007 - DOLPHIN
DECEMBER 2005 - POLYNESIAN RESORT
FEBRUARY 2004 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
DECEMBER 1992 - DIXIE LANDINGS (now PO)

I don't list the times spent offsite, because to me it doesn't count as a real Disney trip
tone.def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

They will infact take an expired passport, as long as it's within a year of the expirary date.

I also have an enhanced drivers licence, which allows for crossing without a passport (which I no longer have, and NEEEEEEED to get) but they will take that up until the day it actually expires.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #14
Northstar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
My DD lives and works in New York City...she was home for the Memorial day weekend and returned last nite to NYC. The US Immigration officer told her that 'should' she come home for Christmas (which of course she will) she better renew her passport then because it expires in April 2012 and she will be refused entry back into the U.S after the holidays. Meanwhile..her home is there...her employer is there. Now, he may just be having a lousy day..but does one want to take that chance?

I think the issue would never be coming back into Canada but the U.S guys....sometimessss they are just plain difficult.
Your daughter's situation is different because she is not in the U.S. as a visitor. She is a U.S. resident. The border guys would not be "being difficult" in turning her back at the border in December, because her projected length of stay in the US WOULD go beyond her passport validity.

Why would you think the US border guard was "having a bad day" or "being difficult" in warning your daughter about a possible problem she might encounter if she goes home at Christmas? I think he was being nice and going beyond the call of duty.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I see your point...but they read her the riot act about it to the point that she missed her flight! By all means remind her of the problems she could encounter but lets not go overboard! They do not like that she lives and works stateside--it's obvious. She has a visa authorized by U.S Immigration but every single time she re-enters--there's grief of some sort. Same thing this past Monday when she returned..always sent into secondary despite her paperwork being intact...

Frustrating..

That said..not the case when crossing by car, only at Pearson.
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: