Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
ShellyLynn3630
DIS Veteran

Very, Very disappointed with the pirate night party and buffet on the Dream

Very dissapointed in the pirate party and the "buffet" after the party last week. When we went on the Wonder in 2007 the pirate party ROCKED!!!! Not so on the Dream, and the buffet, are you serious? If you have never sailed before, you will having nothing to compare it to. But this buffet was a total joke compared to the dessert buffett on the Wonder in 2007. Disney really is cutting corners here. I was totally shocked at the offerings on the Dream compared to the astrinomically heavenly dessert buffet beyond belief on the Wonder. Thumbs down on this one Disney. Also, I really thought Disney might do a little somthing extra with the premier of POTC 4 on the 20th, nothing, nodda. Disney I do hope you see this.
ShellyLynn3630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
La2kw
DIS Veteran

Location: 90 miles from the happiest place on earth, and the original Disney park- Disneyland.

I think the pirate night is way over rated anyway, so I'll be glad if they tone it down on the Dream. I saw nothing impressive on our last one and in fact, we skipped the party and spent the evening in the adult pool area with the 18 and over crowd, listening to live music and snuggling under warm blankets and oversized pillows watching the fireworks. As far as the buffet, Disney's desserts are not that great anyway, and really neither is the food.
I've slept here: Disney Wonder, Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian, Paradise Pier Hotel, OKW, WL, WLV, AKV (Kidani and Jambo), BC, BCV, BWV, VBR, HHIR, Contemporary, SSR, POFQ, CBR, ASSports, ASMusic, ASMovies, Pop Century, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay Hotel

[/url]
La2kw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

We finished our wonderful dinner at Palo right before the pirate party on the Dream. It was very hard to move through the crowd, and I wasn't particularly interested in staying beyond the fireworks. I haven't stayed for any of DCL's dessert buffets, so I can't comment on that.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Cerberus9
Mouseketeer

I was on the Wonder recently (May 10). Pirate night sucked, and the buffet afterward sucked, so I don't think this problem is just on the Dream.
Cerberus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
roxy84
Mouseketeer

I really enjoyed the pirates party on the Dream compared to the older ships. I think splitting up the parties to have a kids one earlier was a good choice on disney's part. The later party with the fireworks was more mature and well done. Plus I like how the fireworks were more coordinated with the music and story (I felt like the fireworks on the older ships were just fireworks at random just for the sake of having fireworks at the show).

As for the Buffet - we always go late seating for dinner so by the time the party rolls around we are full anyways. We did get a bit of dessert last time but I wasn't overly impressed with it (on the magic).
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I can't speak to Pirate Night, but I can see where Disney might not be an expert on late night cruise buffets. They've never done them, and frankly, with good reason. Most Disney cruisers go to bed so darn early, a huge spread of food at Midnight on a Disney cruise would just sit there unused.

That was one thing that disappointed us on Disney, the lack of late night activity. . The year before our Disney cruise were cruised HAL and our kids just loved going to the buffet about 1 am after the 11:30 pm show, with all the food options, carving station, desserts, getting something to eat just before bed.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Tracykim
DIS Veteran

I tend to agree on Pirates night. We watched it from deck 12 on the 1st cruise and didn't think it was that great. We didn't go to the buffet that night. On our second cruise we didn't even go to the party but went to the movies instead. We DID go to the buffet this time and I got a turkey leg. DH was bummed that they didn't have an Currios. We took the turkey legs to the movie.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
moniqueelaine
Mouseketeer

I had a feeling this was a silly thing mostly for the kids, and I am guessing it is since I have never cruised before...I am, however, interested in the fireworks I love them so much and for them to be off a boat OMG I am so in..LOL cannot wait..... cue dancing bananas
Old 05-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
ChristineandLiv
Mouseketeer

I didn't even realize there was a desert buffet. Lol. Maybe because we had late dinner, we weren't looking for it? I have to remember to look for it next year!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Eeyore1928
Believer of Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Wishes on stars

Well I love Pirate night. I love the fireworks. I think a lot depends on who is sailing on any ship at any given time. People that really get into Pirate night really add to the atmosphere. The food is second thought to us..as all we ever get is crepes that late anyway.When DCL first started they did offer a late night buffet with steak and all. It did not last too long though. Then they did the dessert buffet late. Too many sweets right before bed. Plus now with the nightclub ( that is actually a nightclub) who needs food....finally great music and real dancing!!!!!! I did love the Captain Jack show at Pirate night though!

Cruising on the Dream January 2011 and September 2011!!!!

My Hubby just got me DVC!!!!!!

Eeyore1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
makaylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1928 View Post
The food is second thought to us..as all we ever get is crepes that late anyway.
There are crepes at the pirate buffet? We are always too full to bother with it as we always have late seating, but we may have to check it out this time.
Aug 7th 2010 DCL 11 Day Mediterranean
June 18th 2011 DCL 11 Day Mediterranean
makaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

We were never hungry by the time the pirate's buffet opened. I guess this was a good thing since it was always very crowded. You would think that people hadn't eaten all day. It used to look nice compared to the pictures I see on the Dream.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

Pirate buffet on the wonder last week was nasty. Tex mex - all kinds of taco fillings but no taco meat - I am not joking! I grabbed the shells and started to the next part - no taco meat. I ate shells with cheese and lettuce. LMAO.
Tortilla Chips, but no melted cheese - maybe salsa? I didn't notice because I don't eat it.

I had 2 crepes from the crepe bar -but man that was a long line at times!

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Cerberus9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Pirate buffet on the wonder last week was nasty. Tex mex - all kinds of taco fillings but no taco meat - I am not joking! I grabbed the shells and started to the next part - no taco meat. I ate shells with cheese and lettuce. LMAO.
Tortilla Chips, but no melted cheese - maybe salsa? I didn't notice because I don't eat it.

I had 2 crepes from the crepe bar -but man that was a long line at times!
Yeah, what was up with that??? I kept looking for the taco meat, but there was none to be found!!!! Was it some sort of sick Disney joke???
Cerberus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
ga9497
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyLynn3630 View Post
Very dissapointed in the pirate party and the "buffet" after the party last week. When we went on the Wonder in 2007 the pirate party ROCKED!!!! Not so on the Dream, and the buffet, are you serious? If you have never sailed before, you will having nothing to compare it to. But this buffet was a total joke compared to the dessert buffett on the Wonder in 2007. Disney really is cutting corners here. I was totally shocked at the offerings on the Dream compared to the astrinomically heavenly dessert buffet beyond belief on the Wonder. Thumbs down on this one Disney. Also, I really thought Disney might do a little somthing extra with the premier of POTC 4 on the 20th, nothing, nodda. Disney I do hope you see this.
I wasn't thrilled with the new pirate party itself on the Dream
On the Wonder and Magic we really didn't get much off the buffet during the party as it was mostly desserts and we aren't much into cakes and things especially that late at night. The most we ever got was fruit, ice cream and if we were hungry one turkey leg to share with the four of us.

I saw so much food get left on tables, thrown away, etc during the pirate party that I can understand why the food portion has been scaled down. Way too much waste. One cruise I counted about 10 turkey legs that weren't eaten and just left on the tray on top of the garbage cans. I am sure there were more that were just thrown out without being eaten

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: