Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking Our Indiana Home-Grown, Corn-Fed, White-Bread Disney Wedding Cake Pics NEW! 8/3 Here

Our Indiana Home-Grown, Corn-Fed, White-Bread Disney Wedding

About a year ago, Kelly and I (Jared, chefmickey123 on the boards) decided to get married. I was in Canada at church camp, and we had to get some family jewelry reworked for the ring, so we got formally engaged in the early fall of 2010.

The planning however started in July of 2010. Kelly wanted to get married in her grandmother’s Lutheran Church. I, being a Lutheran seminary student, had no objection. The church, however, is all that remains of a small farming community near Brownstown, Indiana. So, the choices for reception venue are limited and we had to act fast. We wanted to have alcohol at our wedding, and a fairly large one at that, so the very lovely church fellowship hall across the street was out. It is a great building and we will be getting dressed there.

With a limited selection of venues we acted quickly and snagged a June 4, 2011 opening at Pewter Hall. Through a series of phone calls and emails over dial-up (rural Manitoba is not known for high speed internet) we were able to sew up the theme. I could espouse our fondness for all things Disney at this time, but I think that our fondness is obvious.

After a quick conversation, we decided on a Disney-themed reception. While a fabulous, Disney Fairy Tale Wedding complete with Franck, coachmen, and fireworks was a great idea, for us, it just was impractical for many reasons.
So, we had to do it on our own. My future in-laws, Dad & Stepmom and Mom have been great about covering the expenses. My background (over 500 receptions catered under my belt) allowed us to get the best deals when we want them and not sacrifice too much.

The food for the reception is good, solid, home cookin’, simple buffet fare to please most palates. We are having hot hors d’oeuvres (meatballs, Reuben dip, etc…) and some cheese & crackers. Dinner is a hot buffet with Pork,
Chicken and Beef plus lots of sides. It is what this place is known for and we are not going to mess with it by giving them a bunch of special requests. The price is right and the people are nice. Once of the owners even used to ride the school bus with my future father-in law.

Now that the preliminaries are out of the way, on with the Disney Magic (Not the big boat, though)…

Kelly and I decided we wanted a wedding with a Disney theme that did not look like a kid’s birthday party. She had her colors picked out since she was 12 years old (Black, Silver and Purple, with some ivory thrown in for good measure) so we had that to work with too. Also, we are traditional church folks and so, with very subtle exception (bridesmaids have Mickey necklaces from Arriba Bros.), Mickey and friends will not be part of the church service.

We began amassing our Disney horde of reception items in October at the Hobby Lobby 50% off wedding clearance sale. There we found plastic “glass slippers” for our table favors. They are stuffed with Disney wedding mix M&M’s and some other personalized M&M’s with our names on them. The candy is tied up in tulle with ribbon. They are done and in a box ready to go to Brownstown next week. (Tonight’s project is rice bags).
We also acquired a Disney punch and a star punch from Hobby Lobby as well as fancy paper in the wedding colors. There is a lot of confetti made already and a lot to go. This will get scattered on the dinner tables.

Also from Hobby Lobby-An homage to the Seven Dwarfs-in a mine-in a mine-where a million diamonds shine: Diamonds-lots and lots of diamonds (plastic ones, of course) for scattering on the table. We also got a runner for the church and a unity candle dirt cheap at the Hobby Lobby sale.

Zee Caahk (The Cake) is being made, coincidentally by a lady named Miki. The cake will be four layers- 3 chocolate and one white with strawberry filling. It will have a fountain in the bottom, a Mickey and Minnie cake topper in the middle, and a Fairy Tale Castle from Wilton Cake topper on top. A running model Monorail will go around the cake. The groom’s cake is going to be in the shape of Pooh-the Winnie kind, not the fecal variety. Pooh will be red velvet cake (I tried to get an armadillo red velvet cake like in Steel Magnolias but was overruled by my sister, who pointed out that it was not very Disney).
Also on the cake table-a very generous gift from friends-Cinderella and Prince Charming Arriba Brothers etched glass champagne flutes we picked up from Disney World in November when we were there.

There are many more details and I will get some installments done as we go. But basically, Kelly’s Mom’s sewing room looks like Franck Eggelhoffer and Mickey Mouse threw up all over it (in a good way).
7 days left until our Happily Ever After…

Last edited by ChefMickey123; 08-03-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: News Update
ChefMickey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

welcome!!! your plans look great!! i always love your dining reviews!! wow... brownstown, indiana--i've been there quite a few times!! it's only about a 2 hour drive for me from florence, ky. my friends race dirt-track and some of them actually live there, but i normally go up when a national circuit is in town!! small world!!

i love the colors... so elegant!! can't wait to hear more!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
DoomBuggy0922
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, I just had to say that I am STILL giggling from reading "ze cahk"!!!!! I LOVE FATHER OF THE BRIDE!!!

Yup, that's my immature statement. Anyway, your wedding sounds fabulous--- and, mostly, I can't wait to see pictures in a week!!!

'96[POFQ] '97 [POR]; '99[POFQ] '02[OKW] '03[gparents condo] '04[gparents condo & DCL] '05[condo] '06[PC] '07[SSR] 3/08[condo] 9/08[PC] 6/09[POFQ]; 12/09[PC] '10[AKL&PC] 3/11[SSR] 8/11[PC] 01/12:BCV, GF, and BLT (Weddingmoon!!!); 05/12:AKL-KV; 12/12: SSR; 2/13: OKW; 4/13: BWV & OKW; 07/13: VWL & BCV; 09/13: BWV & YC; 11/13: PC and BWI

Next Trip: Christmas at SSR and BCV!

DFTW PJ and Honeymoon TR Memorial Day Weekend TR
DoomBuggy0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
wendyiam
Be Kind to Cast Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMickey123 View Post

A running model Monorail will go around the cake.
Amazing! I think that's a great excuse for a grown woman (me) to finally buy my monorail! lol
Best of luck,
The best magic is homade
wendyiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
trudy88
Mouseketeer

Smile

Your plans sound great, can't wait to hear more!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking Zee Dress.

Yes DISers our pictures are back. Just a note from the photographer-we have rights to share 'em with you, please, just don't sell them.

Now that it is all out of the way I'm starting with the dress because that seems to be what brides care about a lot. My bride ( LutheranChick1982 ) certainly did.

It is almost Beauty and the Beast-esque with its swaggy, bowiness (I am a guy who does not know the term for such things.

From the back:

Other Dress Pictures:

Note, the wand from Cinderella's Royal Table at the MK...

Hope you enjoy-We'll See Ya Real Soon!

Tune in next time when we show off Zee Caahk!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Tinker Bell Fan
DIS Veteran

Oh I just love weddings! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Congrats!!
Me (Michelle) Hubby (Steve) dog (Muffy) cat (RIP - Kaht - 1990-2011) DVC members since 2006 (SSR) Trips: 1976 (off-sight); 1994 (Coronado); 1990 (off-site); 2006 (FW cabin; SSR); 2007 (SSR); 2008 (SSR); 2009 (SSR); 2011 (BWV; SSR); 2012 (BWV)
Tinker Bell Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking Zee Caahk! (The Cake)

Zee Caahk.

“Becooz zee Caahk more offen determines vaaht kind of vedding thaaht yu end up haffing”

For those of you who don’t speak Eggelhofferese:
Because the cake more often determines what kind of wedding that you end up having.

Well, we always knew what kind of wedding we were having-a Disney one.
When we spoke with the cake lady, whose name, incidentally, is Mickey-we looked through her books, found one we liked, told her the colors and embellished it with some Disney touches.

It was a mostly chocolate cake with one vanilla layer. It had strawberry jam filling. The frosting was buttercream (fondant is pretty, but tastes pretty bad, is expensive, and ends up in the trash). The cake was delicious. It cut easily, and the leftovers lasted a long time.
The groom’s cake was chocolate too.
We got the Mickey-Minnie Cake topper from a second party seller and the Castle topper is from Wilton. My only regret with the castle is that it lights up, and it was not lit. It looked nice anyway.

We picked up the monorail in November at Downtown Disney, and some extra track, which we needed two straight pieces of to get it to sit on the table correctly. Our Contemporary hotel model did not fit. It would have hung over the table, so we will have to keep that under the Christmas tree.

The fountain with the purple water and the greenery was from the cake lady.

Our cake cutting implements were from Hobby Lobby.

I almost knocked it over here.

I was also a bad boy.

The cake was fabulous, and we really enjoyed it.
Tune in next time, when we show pictures of our tables and decorations.

Last edited by ChefMickey123; 08-03-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: forgot a picture
Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
PrincessTinker11
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your wedding, it looked wonderful!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2465405 Our Disney Cruise Line Castaway Cay Wedding! (Our PJ)
PrincessTinker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking Decorations

We did our own Disney Decorations as well. The Mickey Confetti was punched out by hand with cutter from Hobby Lobby. Table Diamonds from Hobby Lobby. My Mom was the florist. I got the tapestry/blanket of the castle behind us for $15 at the Main Street Emporium in 2009 with a minimum purchase (which is easy to do at Disney World). Stuffed Characters we bought at the big World of Disney store at DTD. Champagne flutes were from Arribas Bros in DTD as well.

We hope you enjoy. Thanks so much for looking and for your kind comments and PM's.

-Jared & Kelly

Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTinker11 View Post
Congratulations on your wedding, it looked wonderful!
Thank you, it was!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Oh wow! What an amazing looking wedding. Congratulations.

Love the cake, it looks brilliant, great idea with the monorail. x
Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

your pictures are fantastic!! your cake is just wonderful--how creative!! i love all your disney touches!! hope you get to go back real soon!! i need a to read another dining report!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
Lulu83
Mouseketeer

Wow!! Congratulations, your wedding was gorgeous! I have to say you are a very lucky man as your wife looked stunning, truly like a Princess (I did have a little giggle at your description of the dress though!). I really love the characters at each table, the Winne the Pooh ones look so soft and cuddly

It's nice to see some photos of a non-DFTW Disney wedding, I'm getting some ideas for our at home reception now!

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos

January 2011, Disneyland ~ October 2012, married at WDW ~ December 2012, Disneyland
Lulu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
DisneyFairytale
DIS Veteran

That was such a beautiful wedding! breath taking! love it!
DisneyFairytale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney reception, disney wedding, diy, home

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: