Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

"Is This A Ride"? Our Disney Honeymoon Adventure 5/16-5/24

Hello there! Welcome to my first ever TR. My pre-trip report is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2624751

To start out, let me introduce my family.

Here is a picture of Josh and I.

We are 20-years-old. We live in Washington State with our cat, leopard gecko, corn snake, king snake, pacman frog, mice, african clawed frogs, and pacific giant salamanders. It sounds like a full house but most of our pets live in 10 gallon cages on a shelving unit in our office room. They all live in cages except for the cat. He rules our apartment . Here are some pictures of our animals.

Josh is my husband. He is the internet director at the local Jeep dealership. He wants to be a herpetologist. He is currently working on a study for Fish and Wildlife (although he is not being paid for it). We got married on May 15th, 2011 (I will post pictures of the wedding soon) and left for our disneymoon at 3am on May 16th. This was his first trip to a Disney park. I am happy to report that he loved Disney World and can't wait to go back

I am currently in between colleges. I just received my AA degree and I am waiting for spring semester to start at WSU. At WSU, I plan to major in animal sciences and then (hopefully) move on to vet school. I am currently working as a kennel attendant at a local vet's office. I basically take care of the animals in the morning (4:30 am to be exact). I feed and water the animals, take the dogs out, clean cages, do laundry, and so on.

I have lots of photos to share. We brought two cameras and a video recorder with us. We also pre-ordered a photopass CD (already on its way to our apartment). I don't have any of the wedding photos yet. My wedding photographer is working on it but she says it can take up to 12 weeks for her to finish editing everything. My sister-in-law took lots of pictures of me getting ready, but she is also working on editing them (she wants to be a professional someday).

So that is my little intro. I will try to update often and I will try not to bore you too much . Thanks for reading!

Table of Contents

The Wedding (Also Known As D-Day)
Day 1, Part 1: Let the Memories Begin!
Day 1, Part 2: Monsters and Mutated Turkey Legs
Day 2, Part 1: Heavy on the Rope Drop, Light on the Ceremony
Day 2, Part 2: Terrible Tour Groups
Day 3, Part 1: A Proper Duck
Day 3, Part 2: Is This a Ride?
Day 4: Best Pixie Dust Ever!

Links coming soon

Last edited by DisneyKira; 07-06-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
dilligaf212
Mouseketeer

looking forward to reading your TR your animals are cute except the snake of course

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf212 View Post
looking forward to reading your TR your animals are cute except the snake of course
and thank you! If you can't tell, we are huge animal lovers
Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Here I am!!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm here too, and can't wait to see pictures and hear all about your trip and wedding.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I'm here too, and can't wait to see pictures and hear all about your trip and wedding.
. I don't have any pictures of the wedding yet, but here is a link to a few pictures that my mom posted:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....631151&page=29

My mom's friend's daughter turned my wedding into a photography project, so here is the link to that: http://prezi.com/nfwz1mpi7xl7/photog...nment-wedding/. I am hoping to get these pictures from here soon. They are so good!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
dilligaf212
Mouseketeer

The pictures are very nice

Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

"Is This A Ride?": How the title came to be.

So here is a little backstory before I begin the trip report. This video is the reason for my TR title.

Someone in my family found this video on youtube (I can't remember who) and showed Josh and I. Josh had never been to a Disney Park at the time he was shown the video, but he still found it hilarious. When we went on our honeymoon, the video was still very amusing to us both. And so, my husband (who loves quoting things he finds funny), would ask me "Is this a ride"? when we were about to visit a Disney attraction.

In retrospect, maybe showing my husband this video before our trip wasn't such a good idea. I thought it was funny the first few times, but then he started to ask me "Is this a ride" before every single ride . I think I asked him to tone it down by the second day.

So there you have it. That is where my TR title came from
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf212 View Post
The pictures are very nice
Thanks . I can't wait to see the ones from my sister-in-law, my friend, and the professional photographer! I will get a CD from the professional photographer (and I have shared rights on all of those pictures), so I will post them as soon as I get them.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKira View Post

In retrospect, maybe showing my husband this video before our trip wasn't such a good idea. I thought it was funny the first few times, but then he started to ask me "Is this a ride" before every single ride . I think I asked him to tone it down by the second day.

So there you have it. That is where my TR title came from
OMG... I can just see him doing that.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
shocky5
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Congratulations on your wedding! Saw some of the pictures on your mom's thread - beautiful! Glad you both had a great trip and was happy to hear from your mom that the 'disney chip' has been successfully implanted in your DH's head!

The Last of the OCD Type A Planners to get her TR started - December 2011 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post43707322

Feb'15*PHM*AKL*May'14*AOA Vacation*Dec'11*Poly Xmas*May'09*Poly Vacation*June'07*Poly Vacation*Feb'89*MK-EP*offsite*June'88*Disneyland*offsite*February'88* EP*offsite
Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky5 View Post
Joining in! Congratulations on your wedding! Saw some of the pictures on your mom's thread - beautiful! Glad you both had a great trip and was happy to hear from your mom that the 'disney chip' has been successfully implanted in your DH's head!
Thank you and . Yes...the "Disney Chip" has been implanted. He can't wait to go back. He told me that next time, he wants to visit the water parks
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
DisneyKira
Mouseketeer

The Wedding (Also known as D-day)

So I had intended on journaling every day to make writing my trp report easier. In reality, I ended up journaling about the wedding day and the first day only . Here is a little bit about the wedding. UPDATE: I added photos!

I went to bed at about 1 am on May 15th and got up at 7:30 am. My sister-in-law had spent the night at my apartment while Josh slept in the hotel room that his parents had got for the weekend. She showered, then I showered, then her mom came over to do her hair up in curls. For those of you that read my PTR, you might remember that the lady doing my hair took three hours for the trial run. I was extremely nervous about this, as she was only coming over to do my hair three hours before the wedding . I was late for my bridal shower (the day we did the trial) and I did not want to be late for my wedding! Part of what took her so long was that she was having trouble curling my hair. I took one look at the wonderful job that my mother-in-law was doing with my sister-in-law's hair and decided that curling my hair before the hair lady came would save us some time. My father-in-law brought over some bagels. He was pretty much the sole reason I ate anything that weekend. He made food for our rehearsal dinner on Friday (he made tri tip, a corn side with yummy mexican cheese, and a tequila chicken) and there was so much left over that he turned it into sandwiches and salad for the next day.

I managed to eat half a bagel before the hair lady showed up. And she brought her baby with her again. This time he had a terrible cold. I have a little bit of a confession to make: I turn into a germaphobe the week before a trip. I hate getting sick before a vacation. It only made me even more nervous to see this lady's baby sneezing and blowing snot all over my apartment . Fortunately, she let my awesome bridesmaids take care of the baby while she was doing my hair (last time she insisted that she wear the baby on her back). Unfortunately, this meant that my poor bridesmaids did not have time to get ready while the hair lady was doing my hair. Ugggg. If she hadn't done such a good job on my hair, I would have been very, very angry with her. Curling my hair beforehand seemed to be a good idea. I was completely done with my hair by 11am!

Josh's family friend came over to do my eye make-up. I was done getting ready before all of the bridesmaids, so I could relax a little and just hang out until we were supposed to head over to the chalet (about noonish).

And then Josh called his sister. The night before, I asked him if he had his checkbook so he could write the checks for our officiant and photographer. He said yes. He was lying. So my poor sister-in-law and I had to look around the apartment for the checkbook. When we couldn't find it, she hid me in the bathroom and allowed him to come up and get his checks. I had just enough time to tell my future husband "You're a butthead" before all of my bridesmaids screamed, "You're not supposed to talk to him!"

We gathered up our stuff and headed over to the theater at about 12:15 am. We got dressed there. By the time I was in my dress, it was already 1pm! The ceremony was nice. Everyone loved our vows, which were funny. Josh promised "not to scream like a little girl on TOT" and the officiant surprised us by saying, "That's a tall order. I have been on TOT" and made me promise to forgive him if he did scream

After the ceremony, we posed for pictures. Unfortunately, the lighting in the theater sucked and we had to take our pictures outside. It was pouring rain, but the entryway of the theater was under shelter. The pictures took about an hour. We had so much fun! We posed in the theater like we were watching a movie. We also posed in the rain with an umbrella that matched the wedding colors. Those pictures are later on in the TR.

When we were done with pictures, we went to the reception. The guests were very antsy. Apparently, the waiters had brought the food out when the guests first started to arrive and the guests didn't want to eat until we arrived! Well no one told us that our guests were being tortured by food they couldn't eat. I thought the food was going to be brought out later. Oops. If only someone had explained to me what was going on. Josh and I would have made an appearance, then left to finish the pictures while the guests were eating. Here are some pictures of the food:

It was yummy, even though some of it was a little cold.

The guests ate the relatively cold mexican food and most of them left right after. I was not happy. We made it as obvious as possible that we weren't serving a full meal (we told guests we were serving "light refreshments") and we had the wedding in the early afternoon, so that it didn't conflict with regular meal times. Still, guests were acting like they were starving. Go figure. At least there was enough food to go around. People went back for seconds, and we still had leftovers

A few guests asked us to cut the cake so they could leave, so we did. 75 % of the guests left after that (less than 2 hours into the reception) and didn't stay for the toast or first dance (first dance and toasts are supposed to come first I think, but everyone seemed so eager to leave). Speaking of first dances, here are some pictures of our first dance:

Overall, the wedding was nice. Besides the issue with the food being a little cold and a torturing device for our guests, people seemed to enjoy themselves.

We served mini salted caramel cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, and coconut cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake (although we ordered a half-sheet cake in case there weren't enough cupcakes). The cupcakes were a hit but we did not need to break into the cake. Here is a picture of the cupcake tier and the candy buffet (the photo of the candy buffet was taken after the guests had gotten to it. A lot of things are missing from it, like the yogurt pretzels)

We did do a bouquet and garter toss. The bouquet toss made quite a few people angry. One of my gay friends decided to join in the bouquet toss. He "caught" the bouquet. He actually picked the bouquet off of the ground because I am a dork and the flowers hit the ceiling when I threw them Here are some photos of the bouquet and garter toss:

Our very empty reception venue

To make things worse, Josh had to toss the garter three times for our photographer. The poor guy got confused when the photographer tried to direct him. 2/4 of his groomsmen had left, so there were only a few guys there. It was very awkward. Oh, and Josh's best man (the guy who caught the dang thing) left it at the reception when he took off early (just a few short moments later). I was not happy with 3/4 of Josh's groomsmen. Why on earth couldn't they take the day off and stay the whole time? More importantly, none of them said goodbye to me. They just disappeared. Totally rude! I guess I was lucky that they even showed up at all. I guess most young guys can't be as reliable as my husband

My bridesmaids, on the other hand, were awesome. They were the only ones (along with my flower girl) who danced. We had a blast doing the chicken dance, chacha slide, ect. They stayed until the very end, and helped clean up. Yay for awesome friends .

This is our silly picture. Aren't my bridesmaids adorable?

After the wedding, Josh and I headed home to change. His family visited our apartment on their way out of town. They picked up Josh's tux for us and left. We then opened some presents, went to subway for dinner, and headed over to my parent's house. I wanted to cut my hair so badly after the wedding (I had grown it out so it could be put in an up-do), but all of the shops in town were closed on Sunday. My mom brought out the scissors and chopped off my hair until it was the length I wanted it. After that we headed back to the apartment and packed until 1 am. We were supposed to leave for our flight at 3am

Last edited by DisneyKira; 07-07-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added Wedding Photos
Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
flamestarrdust
DIS Veteran

I'm here, too. I am a DIS friend of your mom. I read your PTR but didn't have a lot of time to post. From seeing pics on your mom's PTR, your wedding was very beautiful. Congrats! Can't wait to hear all about your Disneymoon!

AUGUST 2010 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post38036065
AUGUST 2010 PTR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36865082
JULY 4th 2006 Cali Grill Event! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157941[/SIZE][[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

See, this is why I wanted you to do a TR... I miss so much. I didn't realize the drama with the check book! I am glad it all worked out.

BTW, the guests were not told they could not eat.... they were just waiting for the two of you. I urged them to eat some trail mix as they all waited. Remember, I didn't sit but once during the reception... so like the mad fool I was I rushed and got trail mix and passed it out to the guests. I am so glad I won't be doing that again any time soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: