Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #91
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Day 6: Happy Birthday Joe! part 5

After dinner we did some shopping inside. Such nice clothing in the Poly gift shop – Katie bought a new Hawaiian print dress, and Joe found a Hawaiian shirt made in Hawaii. I didn’t find anything that didn’t look like a mu mu on me so I just enjoyed their shopping finds.

Katie had to go into the restroom and change into her new dress right away.

Shopping and wardrobe change complete, we strolled to the Transportation Center from Poly. Nice walk. We considered going mini golfing (still have never done this!) but in the end decided to take the ferry over to the MK.

my photos are rather blurry. sorry!

When we saw the huge lines to get into MK for the evening, we decided to take the ferry to the WLR and relax for the evening. No pictures here, we went up & changed into swimsuits & headed down to the pool with our mugs filled (and rum in hand!) to relax and play for a bit. Kate and I made our way over to the beach to watch Nemo, and Joe followed soon behind. Once again, I fell asleep on the beach so when I realized it, we headed up to our room for the night.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #92
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Wow, sounds like Joe had an excellent birthday!

The VIP seats at Light, Motors, Action were a nice treat and how fun that they worked Joe into the show.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #93
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Your LMA experience sounds spectacular! How cool to go and meet everyone afterwords!

The movie and mommy drink and nap on the beach is a perfect ending to your day!

We did chef mickeys breakfast once and I enjoyed it. I hvent heard too many good things about the other meals though.

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #94
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Your special treatment at LMA sounds awesome. What a very special birthday for Joe.

I have to say in all of your pictures at the Poly, you guys just look like you belong there.With all the issues you had with your room at WL, I can see a Poly stay in your future. Joe might even agree b/c you all look great in hawaiin print.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #95
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Wow, sounds like Joe had an excellent birthday!

The VIP seats at Light, Motors, Action were a nice treat and how fun that they worked Joe into the show.
It was a really fun day, easy paced. Just right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
Your LMA experience sounds spectacular! How cool to go and meet everyone afterwords!

The movie and mommy drink and nap on the beach is a perfect ending to your day!

We did chef mickeys breakfast once and I enjoyed it. I hvent heard too many good things about the other meals though.
I wholeheartedly recommend bringing your own favorite grown up mixer - whatever you mix with soda at home. We moved to rum & cokes back when we started wt watchers - much lower in calories than the mojito buckets we had been enjoying on our camping trips. then you just fill your refillable cup at the QS spot and you are good to go. We did it last time with kahlua & then filled up with half and half at the QS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Your special treatment at LMA sounds awesome. What a very special birthday for Joe.

I have to say in all of your pictures at the Poly, you guys just look like you belong there.With all the issues you had with your room at WL, I can see a Poly stay in your future. Joe might even agree b/c you all look great in hawaiin print.
Funny you should say that because I was pricing trips for next year at Poly, CSR, and CBR. Does Poly have a club level? Next year is our 20th anniversary. At this point he is saying Nova Scotia but I am still trying to work WDW back into the picture - 5 days, 4 night, just he and I.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #96
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

OK...so sorry I missed this until now! But I just read the whole thing and am really enjoying myself. I totally understand having a husband who seems to lack all those fun memories of childhood; my husband's experience is very similar! Your daughter is beautiful, too. I am really just enjoying watching the trip unfold through your eyes. It looks like you had a truly amazing time! And you worked so hard to bring so many special touches to your trip. Nice job!

I also have to thank you for the tip about Picasa. I HATE uploading to and using Photobucket, but thought it was the only way to post pics on here. I so prefer Picasa, so YAY!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #97
lizzyshakuntala
Earning My Ears

The best seats in the house + having a personalized script just for your family read out What a special treat you guys had at LMA!

I've never seen any pictures of the Spirits of Aloha Show, nor have I read any reviews of them (Maybe because I never looked for it)... But it looks like a lot of fun! I don't think we'll be going to any dinner shows though, we'll save that for when we're taking the kids someday ~~Yes, DH and I still have months to go until we get to WDW, but we're already planning on going back! ~~

When I was around Katie's age my mom got me a Hawaiian dress thingy that looks very much like Katie's, but with a blue color scheme. I like that black one better

DH36 Me29 3 y/o twins DS-M DS-D

*07/1988 GF*
*03/1994 Disneyland Hotel at DLP*
*07/1996 Disneyland Hotel at DLP*
*12/2009, 07/2010, 03/2011 Hong Kong Disneyland*
*11/2011 POR and WL*
*01/2013 Disney's Hollywood Hotel at HKDL*

Old 06-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #98
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
OK...so sorry I missed this until now! But I just read the whole thing and am really enjoying myself. I totally understand having a husband who seems to lack all those fun memories of childhood; my husband's experience is very similar! Your daughter is beautiful, too. I am really just enjoying watching the trip unfold through your eyes. It looks like you had a truly amazing time! And you worked so hard to bring so many special touches to your trip. Nice job!

I also have to thank you for the tip about Picasa. I HATE uploading to and using Photobucket, but thought it was the only way to post pics on here. I so prefer Picasa, so YAY!
I'm glad you found Picasa - I am finding it very easy to use.

Katie and I will rave about our trip forever. Grumpy is still not over the room mix up at the beginning...which is killing me because I REALLY want to celebrate our 20th anniversary next year just him and I at WDW and I won't be able to if he hasn't found the magic again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyshakuntala View Post
The best seats in the house + having a personalized script just for your family read out What a special treat you guys had at LMA!

I've never seen any pictures of the Spirits of Aloha Show, nor have I read any reviews of them (Maybe because I never looked for it)... But it looks like a lot of fun! I don't think we'll be going to any dinner shows though, we'll save that for when we're taking the kids someday ~~Yes, DH and I still have months to go until we get to WDW, but we're already planning on going back! ~~

When I was around Katie's age my mom got me a Hawaiian dress thingy that looks very much like Katie's, but with a blue color scheme. I like that black one better
The Spirit of Aloha show was very cool, we really enjoyed it. That said, for little kids, I think that HDDR is better - more fun and loud and fun for young kids. I don't think Katie would have enjoyed SoA at 5.

My little diva picked out the dress herself. she is so fussy/funny with what she will wear, so unless its ridiculously inappropriate, I let her go with it. Makes life easier!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #99
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Poly does have CL and that would be a perfect way to celebrate 20 years

Next time we go back I would like to do 2 days at Poly before we move over to AKL, but I priced out a weekend in 2012 in Oct. and it is like $1200 for 2 nights. Don't think so. We'll see if any discounts are available in a few years but if they don't have any we will never pay that much to stay in a room.

Good luck getting Joe to agree to going back. I know DH will never agree for us to go back alone again. I have a hard enough time convincing him we need to go back for Caitlin.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #100
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Next time we go back I would like to do 2 days at Poly before we move over to AKL, but I priced out a weekend in 2012 in Oct. and it is like $1200 for 2 nights. Don't think so. We'll see if any discounts are available in a few years but if they don't have any we will never pay that much to stay in a room.

Good luck getting Joe to agree to going back. I know DH will never agree for us to go back alone again. I have a hard enough time convincing him we need to go back for Caitlin.
I priced out a couple nights at the Poly too- my eyes popped out so far they needed their own sound effect. I think I'd have an easier time talking DH into a trip if it was just he and I. Sure we would
spend our mornings on Splash and our evenings drinking through Epcot- but hey, whatever it takes, right?

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #101
Moira222

Planting the seeds

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
I priced out a couple nights at the Poly too- my eyes popped out so far they needed their own sound effect. I think I'd have an easier time talking DH into a trip if it was just he and I. Sure we would
spend our mornings on Splash and our evenings drinking through Epcot- but hey, whatever it takes, right?
We have been so busy the last two weeks - vacation bible school at night, camping out at a baseball game, and enjoying a few evenings out on the deck loving the mild weather.

You ladies would be so proud of me...I have been planting the seeds of a June 12 adults only trip.

Last week my prints arrived from Snapfish....all 273 of them. so of course DH has to look through them, we all do! Then a few days later my photo book arrives - its a hard bound book containing the photos I selected along with the captions I wrote. I got a free one from mycokerewards.com and knew it would be a perfect Disney book. anyway, DH has looked through it on a few different occasions, and has heard me telling our friends about how much fun we had at the parks. It didn't take too much for him to admit that we really did have fun in the parks.

Naturally I have already been playing with saved trips for next year (is anyone else amazed that next years rates are already available?) so the other night (over a glass of wine of course) when he admitted that he really enjoyed himself outside of the resort mix up, I sort of "threw out there" what I would plan if we were to do a trip next June for our anniversary. Hypothetically speaking of course. Oh I had him. He was laughing at me of course, but I got him thinking. YEAH Then....he does it....he pictures himself there in June. Suggests asking our friends if they'd like to go to (my BFF who could not do this fall and her hubby) and imagining "hypotheticals" like what he & his friend would do if we parted ways in the parks for a bit. I am that good! I thought it would be harder than this...Not that my work is done but I have layed a very good foundation for my little seed. Hopefully I'll have a new ticker soon!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #102
Moira222

Day 7: Pool Party

Thursday was a rush free enjoy ourselves day. Joe got up to run, and I enjoyed some quiet time on the balcony while Katie slept in. When she woke up, Katie had some homework to do before hitting the pool. Breakfast was peanut butter, jelly & a banana for me, Joe had a big muffin from Roaring forks, and Katie had a cherry Danish from RF as well after she finished her homework-- Home work took quite a long while. (I think she had a banana and yogurt while doing her homework)

Finally done with homework, Katie and I headed down to the beach – she with a bucket, me with a book! We saw a few families come through, a few kids came to play ( I was really hoping to run into Diane here!) and a few people were using bikes (another thing that just didn’t make it into our days).

We lost Joe for a little while – I think we just kept missing each other. Finally Katie and I were having a snack (maybe this is when she had her Danish) on the outside patio when I looked up and saw him on our balcony. LOL

(I have to apologize here because my father in law pointed out that we did not have a single “at the pool” photo, even though we had bought a water proof camera. DOH! Joe apparently took video….of Katie and I coming down the slide. Can’t wait to see that!)

We hit the pool for a while, finally having time to use the slide quite a bit – until now most of our pool time had happened at night when the slide was closed off. The pool was fun! We swam for a little while but I was getting antsy. I really wanted to hit Downtown Disney and Wolfgang puck express!
It took some coaxing to get Katie dressed and on a bus. but I had a mission. We were hungry, and we knew exactly where we wanted to eat lunch.

As soon as we got off the bus we found Wolfgang Puck Express, and it was

…..CLOSED! NOOOOOOO! We were so disappointed! and we were seriously hungry. If you read my PTR you know that TRex was so NOT an option for us for lunch, and we had already done Rainforest Cafe so we were not going to repeat it....that left the only place around -- Earl of Sandwich.

We did not enjoy this a lot in the past and had no intentions of going there. Curse you Wolfgang Puck Express!!! (read that with a quazi German Deufenschmirtz accent)

We waited in a long long long line and found the whole ordering process to be very confusing. No clear markings for the DDP and paying OOP was a lot! We did use DDP – but if we had to pay for it, I noted that it was $6 for a small sandwich with no sides. I had a greek salad – which was fine but they were heavy on the dressing which was NOT a greek dressing but some creamy dressing more like a caesar but not so peppery. confused? me too.

I totally forget what Joe and Katie ordered, and remember only that Katie had a huge brownie for dessert.

We walked around a bit – it was hot. Really hot. And there is hardly any shade at DTD We stopped in to check out the Lego Store and the amazing lego builds outside.

We were still looking for that pipe, and Joe had seen a smoke shop/cigar bar on the map in Pleasure Island so we headed down to see if we could find one. While Joe went into the cigar bar to ask, Katie and I headed to the Harley Davidson shop. We are not motorcycle riders, nor are we Harley folks. Well, some of the stuff is just cool to look at…mostly we were just amazingly hot and it looked like a good place to cool off. And it was! Katie loved hopping on the bikes and looking like a big girl.

We wandered around for a little bit in DTD and into Pleasure Island. While we enjoy adult beverages with friends, we don't go to bars or clubs--never did outside of the first year I was legally allowed to go in them. so not PI was not a whole lot appealing us here. and it was hot. Did I mention the shadeless areas of DTD where you wander with the sun beating down on your head? ugh.

I remembered the never before used $15 voucher for Planet Hollywood so we decided to head in for a treat.

I thought we were just getting something cold and yummy – Joe had picked a humongous appetizer assortment. man was it big! tasty…. but big!

Katie had some fruity frozen concoction, Joe and I stuck to diet coke so as to not dehydrate.

Thought this was cool bathroom décor:

We headed back out into the heat and headed back toward the main shopping area (I’m sure it has a name but I don’t know it) and did some window shopping and a little real shopping.

funny store about the Little MissMatched store - if you don't know it, it sells mismatched socks, which is apparently a popular thing with little girls. Katie, however, has serious sock issues - she hates them. she hates wearing them, hates the sock seams rubbing her toes or her foot anywhere. BUT she thought this store was neat so in we went. She found a pack of little ankle socks that seemed comfy to her - all black with different colored top edges, three socks in a pack. What do you think Katie did?

Bought two packs of the same mismatched set so that she would have three pair of matched socks! silly girl.

I loved the Arribas store there. A little nerve wracking with Katie in there, she just wants to touch everything. Happily I left having to buy no broken items and a few cute kid shots.

My FB friends were bugging me about posting a photo of all of us, you know, to prove that DH and I are really with DD. DH however is quite adamant about not having his photo on FB. (actually he is grumbly about this TR too but I sort of told him to deal with it) So we took this new “Family photo”… you know, for inquiring minds.

I put a call in to Feisty Fairy who was planning to be in DTD as well, but, well, her DH answered the cell and had no idea who I was, why I was calling, or what in the world I was talking about. OOPS! Oh well, that didn’t work out so well! We had 6 pm ADR at Raglan Road but really we were totally stuffed, and hot, and could not imagine either being hungry again in 2 hours or wanting to stay in or return to DTD in 2 hours. So we decided to head back to WLR and try our luck elsewhere.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #103
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Hope you have a new ticker soon, too, but it sounds like you will! I know once I've got my husband actually talking "hypotheticals" that its just a matter of time before he agrees!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #104
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MaryEllen, I love the Hawaiian dress Katie picked out -- she looks so cute.

Great photos at DTD. That's a cool looking Katie on the motorcycle in her shades; and Joe has every reason to be hiding his eyes...it's heck when your kids get their license.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #105
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Hope you have a new ticker soon, too, but it sounds like you will! I know once I've got my husband actually talking "hypotheticals" that its just a matter of time before he agrees!
I love how that works! I think I hooked him with first returning to the Coronado Springs and then with talking about doing some of the back stage tours that we just can't do with Katie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
MaryEllen, I love the Hawaiian dress Katie picked out -- she looks so cute.

Great photos at DTD. That's a cool looking Katie on the motorcycle in her shades; and Joe has every reason to be hiding his eyes...it's heck when your kids get their license.
Thanks Kathy, of course I am partial to thinking she always looks cute but i do love that dress. I tried to find one that looked as nice on me but couldn't find anything I'd be willing to leave the dressing room in.

I can totally wait the 8 more years till she has a real drivers license - a Mickey License and sitting on a motorcycle is enough for me!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: