Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #76
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

I just realized we were at MK on Katies day. I didn't put any time stamps on my notes but we did the mountains before lunch, pirates and the carpets after lunch, and ate at CHH that day. I'll have to look through my pics for blue streaks!

May 2011 CBR TR. October 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR.
Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #77
KatMark
DIS Veteran

First, Happy Father's Day to Joe.

I don't know how i missed two updates.

Love your AK and MK days. Katie's new haircut is absolutely adorable (although she was adorable prior to that).

I'm sorry you missed Joe's reaction when he got his gift, but it sure looks as if he liked it.
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #78
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Oh no, I can't believe you missed Joe's reaction to his gift. It looks like he really likes it though. I still think it was a perfect gift.

Katie looks so cute with her new haircut. Caitlin asked yesterday to cut her hair short. I think she would look cute, but DH doesn't like short hair on girls so she needs to convince him. I am planning to cut my hair quite a bit next week and I know once she sees that she will be all over DH until he agrees.

Poor Joe having to eat Pixie dust

CHH looks very good. I always have it on my list but we always have ts meals planned. Next time,really.

I haven't done the treehouse since I was a kid. I always think about it and decide it is a waste of time. Was it worth the time?

I can't believe the amount of trip reports where people have issues at parades. Why do people think it is acceptable to show up late and then try to sit in front of you when you have been waiting
We laughed a bit at Joe "eating my dust" but he definitely rode in front of me after that!

I think the tree house was nice and if you have time (and energy to kill) go for it but I don't think I'd make an effort to do it again.
CHH however I would definitely do again. yumm

I don't understand people in general who think they are above the rules of courtesy whether its a parade or anywhere else. Joe and I always try to make space for kids of course but there were a few instances where other people thought they could just shove in front of us for stuff. by the end of the week I just decided to be in it for me and gently ignore (and prevent) people's attempts. sigh. sad that you have to be that way but I'm not big on being a doormat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
I love Katies hair!! Maya used to have a similar haircut; it's so cute on young girls!

Glad to hear I didn't miss much at the treehouse. I contemplated it but passed due to aching feet.

I love your story about the people at mickeys meet and greet.

Your *salad looked pretty tasty for a kids item.

I think your "days" are grand. Was it hard to give up the control? I think I'd be fine with Maya. *DHs would probably be something like let's sleep and then watch sports. *But it definitely
is something to think about. I'd love to find a way for dh to enjoy himself more rather than feel like he is just along for the ride.
Thanks! I love her hair cut --she looks great with it long but I love it this way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
I just realized we were at MK on Katies day. I didn't put any time stamps on my notes but we did the mountains before lunch, pirates and the carpets after lunch, and ate at CHH that day. I'll have to look through my pics for blue streaks!
That would be so funny! you'll have to let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
First, Happy Father's Day to Joe.

I don't know how i missed two updates.

Love your AK and MK days. Katie's new haircut is absolutely adorable (although she was adorable prior to that).

I'm sorry you missed Joe's reaction when he got his gift, but it sure looks as if he liked it.
I'll pass on the wishes Kathy thanks. Poor guy is working tonight.

He really liked his gift - he has it on our dresser now. I need to take a better picture of it. We've just been very busy and I haven't had a chance to do it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #79
Moira222

day 5: Katie's Turn...Chef Mickey update (part 5)

Have to say, we were completely and utterly unimpressed with Chef Mickey and rather with Contemporary Resort from that view. The best thing I ate was the tomato bisque (a favorite of mine) and the salad that I put together myself. I thought the sauce they used for the pasta was salty and sour. I tried the ham and it was way salty even for me, and I like salty things. Joe enjoyed the turkey pot pie but I thought it tasted like something out of a can. Even the mac and cheese on the kids section was icky. So icky that even Katie did not want it – I think she liked the chicken nuggets and want to say she found some noodles that she put butter but I can't remember.

The desserts were quite yummy but for sure I would not go there just for the dessert. I had a bit of bread pudding (very yummy!) and some key lime pie and I think a cheese cake bite.

Katie did love meeting her favorite characters, especially Pluto. she jumped up and hugged him so fast I had to get her to pose for a second
hug.

I had to laugh because when they came around with the photo, Joe and I declined it –it felt weird but we already knew that we were not interested in it before they showed it to us.

The grandfather at the table next to us (3 generations together, LOVE that!) was on the bench seat right next to me and was asking me rather surprised “Oh you didn’t get the photo”. I told him that we’d had other pictures while we were at the parks, and since we didn’t expect a photo here, we didn’t dress for it –we’d been out all day, gotten we, and really were pretty disheveled. Of course I followed with “I’m sure your photo came out great – the girls are adorable and you’re all freshened up” His wife laughingly chimed in to call him a huge sucker that he can’t say no to anything at WDW. It was funny (and their photo was much nicer than ours. Really!)

Have to say that the reason we were rather unimpressed with CR (its not on our must go to list) was that after dinner, Joe needed a bio break. We’d already paid & he didn’t want to use the one right inside the restaurant so he headed to the one on that same floor, near where the monorail escalator is. I found him in the hallway, waiting for Katie (I was finishing my chat with the guy next to us) telling me that the restrooms were so horrible that he just couldn’t use them. Imagine! I told him to head out for the ferry & go to WLR – we’d catch up when Katie was ready.

We headed back to WLR for just a bit, picked up a jacket for Katie because we were headed to DHS to catch Fantasmic! this night.

It took us a little while to get ourselves on the bus to DHS. We arrived and it was already about 8 p.m. so we headed directly to the F! theater. WOW Lots of people headed up and when when got nearly to the top of the hill, we saw a sign and heard over the speakers that Fantasmic! was practically standing room only. We took one look around and decided NO WAY!

There was a second show scheduled, and people were already getting in line for that show. We stopped to ask a cast member about the line forming, and she very nicely told us that the second show was rarely as mobbed as the first one, and that we could likely walk up about 15 minutes early and still get a good seat.

That’s all we needed to hear! We wanted to do TSM! Now I really was not sure of the best route to get there – we started walking back and came upon The Great Movie ride. With no plan, and no line there, we headed in. it was awesome. I thought for sure I had snapped a few photos, but I have only one very weird shot of this:

But we wholeheartedly enjoyed ourselves! (check, yet another Never done, DONE)

When we exited TGMR we really had no idea of the best way to get to TSM. We TOTALLY took the wrong / LONG way around. It was very odd wandering the back section of DHS by Star Tours and Studio Catering. Everything was very dark and empty. it was cool and weird a the same time. (my night shots are bad but still you can see how dark and empty it is back here)

the nice thing was that it helped us for the next day – we’d wandered around in the dark so knew where everything was…and finally we found TSM. We felt a little dumb when we realized it was right behind TGMR but, oh well !

We were SO EXCITED to be here! the sign said 20 minutes so we knew we’d be fine and it would work out perfectly to see F! afterwards.
We were totally oohing and aaaahhing and pointing fingers at all of our childhood favorites supersized. I loved the scrabble board on the ceiling, and Katie and I had just played chutes and ladders a few days before our trip so it was so much fun to point out the board as we waiting.

Last edited by Moira222; 06-21-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #80
Moira222

Day 5: Katie's Turn (part 6)

We had a great time on TSM – no score photos sorry – but lots of fun!

After TSM, we realized where we were (DUH) and headed right up to catch the second show of Fantasmic! It was smooth sailing – we picked up a big bucket of carmel corn for snacking (YUMMMM) and headed in to get front row seats! it was awesome! I snapped a few photos but the night shots are not that great—most of them were pretty blurry.

Fantasmic was as good as we remembered, and as it ended, we managed to find the quick exit that brings you out right by the bathrooms at the front of the park. SCORE! We headed for the buses back to WLR to relax and savor yet another great day at the parks!

Up next, Daddy’s Day!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #81
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Good decision waiting for the second show, that is what we always do.

Too bad you didn't like Chef Mickey's, at least the character pictures turned out to be really cute!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #82
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I really wish they could improve Chef Mickey's food. I love that you can see the Fab 5 together, but with the subpar food it's better to just go to the character spot in Epcot and have counter service there.

I can't believe people were already lining up for the second Fantasmic. It worked out for you though since they weren't in the TSM line.

I didn't like the bathrooms in CR either. I hated the one at CM's since you had to go downstairs. Usually the deluxe resorts have such nice bathrooms, so I was surprised the one at CR looked like a bathroom in a basement of an abandoned building.Gross.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #83
lizzyshakuntala
Earning My Ears

Love Katie's new hair do!! She looks even more adorable now And after seeing how cute the pixie dusts look on your hair, I'm thinking of getting my hair pixie dusted too!

Sorry you missed Joe's initial reaction upon seeing his gift, but I bet he's loving it! I don't know how I'd feel when I finally get to see a picture of Joe actually wearing his medal, coz I got a little teary eyed just from seeing the package

20 mins line for TSM during Fantasmic!?? We'll definitely do that if we couldn't hit TSM earlier in the day.

Looking forward for your next posts

DH36 Me29 3 y/o twins DS-M DS-D

*07/1988 GF*
*03/1994 Disneyland Hotel at DLP*
*07/1996 Disneyland Hotel at DLP*
*12/2009, 07/2010, 03/2011 Hong Kong Disneyland*
*11/2011 POR and WL*
*01/2013 Disney's Hollywood Hotel at HKDL*

Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #84
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Good decision waiting for the second show, that is what we always do.

Too bad you didn't like Chef Mickey's, at least the character pictures turned out to be really cute!
This was a first for us - in '09 when we went , it was a full stadium but not standing room only. Guess that's a benefit of a January trip.

The breakfast looked a bit better from Diane's TR (I think it was hers!)
but after seeign pix from Cape May, I'd go there again. I wish Liberty Tree Tavern was CM again because that was good food and fun in '07.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I really wish they could improve Chef Mickey's food. I love that you can see the Fab 5 together, but with the subpar food it's better to just go to the character spot in Epcot and have counter service there.

I can't believe people were already lining up for the second Fantasmic. It worked out for you though since they weren't in the TSM line.

I didn't like the bathrooms in CR either. I hated the one at CM's since you had to go downstairs. Usually the deluxe resorts have such nice bathrooms, so I was surprised the one at CR looked like a bathroom in a basement of an abandoned building.Gross.
I am practically a bathroom inspector so I really was surprised. We didn't inspect those in Chef MIckey's so I didnt know they were downstairs. wierd. I wonder if its because the Contemporary was one of the first resorts, different standards?

DHS was almost empty during the first show of Fantasmic. it was majorly awesome. frankly, I think if I know there are two F! shows, I will ALWAYS plan to do the park during the first show and then see the 2nd F!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyshakuntala View Post
Love Katie's new hair do!! She looks even more adorable now And after seeing how cute the pixie dusts look on your hair, I'm thinking of getting my hair pixie dusted too!

Sorry you missed Joe's initial reaction upon seeing his gift, but I bet he's loving it! I don't know how I'd feel when I finally get to see a picture of Joe actually wearing his medal, coz I got a little teary eyed just from seeing the package

20 mins line for TSM during Fantasmic!?? We'll definitely do that if we couldn't hit TSM earlier in the day.

Looking forward for your next posts
Kate's hair makes me consider going short,but I need to have a ponytail length for the summer.

I wasn't sure if they'd do adult cuts & color at the barber shop - I know they do women but when I called to make Katie's appt, the CM helping me had never heard of a woman getting her hair done there. I was not brave enough to be the first

Joe's birthday is coming up next so you'll see him with his medal. I get all teary eyed too.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #85
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

AMAZING updates, Fabulous Pics and Katie AND you look adorable following your fun at the "salon". I have to agree about Chef Mickey...food was not that great, the pace was frenetic for my sensory overloaded folks and Rachel ate half a doughnut and drank 2 sips of her milk...for $18.95...I will never forget the experience (I could say more but I won't, I know others LOVE it)! I knew JOe was going to love his gift, it was just perfect! So...Fantasmic IS worth it? I will have to plan to see it sometime! I worry about the W/C seating, it often isn't the best and that is hard with a child who is in the chair. I will remember to see the second show if they have one! Thank you for all of the pics with your entire family being showcased, I love it!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #86
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
AMAZING updates, Fabulous Pics and Katie AND you look adorable following your fun at the "salon". I have to agree about Chef Mickey...food was not that great, the pace was frenetic for my sensory overloaded folks and Rachel ate half a doughnut and drank 2 sips of her milk...for $18.95...I will never forget the experience (I could say more but I won't, I know others LOVE it)! I knew JOe was going to love his gift, it was just perfect! So...Fantasmic IS worth it? I will have to plan to see it sometime! I worry about the W/C seating, it often isn't the best and that is hard with a child who is in the chair. I will remember to see the second show if they have one! Thank you for all of the pics with your entire family being showcased, I love it!!!
Judy, I totally think that Fantasmic is a great show, although I am not sure I would wait in line for an hour or more for a seat. We have seen it each of the three times we have been to WDW. The first time was spur of the moment, we stood in the back (Katie sat on Joe's shoulders) and it was great. The second time we had a package and were rather annoyed at losing almost two hours of precious ride time sitting and waiting for the show to start--I would not do that again at all. This year really worked out the best. While I didn't plan to catch the second show (didn't know about it till we got there) I would definitely plan for it next time. we got to do a ride we really really wanted to to (TSM), the great movie ride AND wander the park with minimal people. If you can stay up late, that is the way to go!

Dont they have a wheelchair section way way over to the far left of the theater (left as you enter it)? that is a good visibility place, and makes exiting very easy - that was the way we left and it took us right to the front of the park.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #87
Moira222

Day 6: Happy Birthday Joe! (originally Joe vs the Volcano)

I'm just going to warn you -- this is an especially photo heavy day. We had a special treat mid day and I am loading you up on photos!!

Yeah for Daddy’s birthday! This being Joe’s birthday, we are taking it easy. A slow morning, I head downstairs to do some laundry while Joe and Katie have a bite, do some homework, and watch TV.

One note about doing laundry: The dryers on the top work much better than the dryers on the bottom row. ;-)

I have to fess up: I spilled a cup of coffee all over the floor in the laundry area. I quickly went down to Roaring Forks to get some paper towels and alert a cast member to my mess. By the time I got back there was already a guy from house keeping mopping up. Now THAT’s fast! I helped where I could and then kept out of the way.

Reading my book and enjoying some coffee to the dull hum of the dryers was rather relaxing. I did pop upstairs to see how the homework was going, and to give Joe all of his birthday cards – I’d asked our family & friends who normally send him a card to either deliver it to me early or have it sent to the resort, so even though we were not home, he had all of his cards and birthday well wishes.

Chores over, it was Joe’s turn to pick our park(s) and rides for the day. First stop: Disney Hollywood Studios!

We stopped for some pin trading at the front kiosk and made our way back to Studio Catering for lunch. Haha I cannot remember what we really ate – my notes say “Joe turkey Me Veggie, Katie PB&J” I actually do remember now that the veggie sandwich there was very good. We all had the cheese cake for dessert (Katie used a snack credit so she could have it too)

Since we’d spied the entrance to the Studio Back Lot tour the night before, we knew right where to go.

There was a very short line, just long enough for us to check out all of the models in the queue area, then we were in the front row to see the show. It was a lot of fun.

We really didn’t know what to expect but we really loved seeing how they did the special effects. It was also really helpful because we’d been trying to explain to Katie how they use special effects in movies and TV to give the appearance of something happening.

Seeing this was perfect! We really enjoyed the tour, and I did snap some
photos of the tour as we went along.

Of course Katie loved seeing the shed from the Hannah Montana movie

Hidden Mickey on a fridge

sort of a Mickey depending on your point of view:

Herbie!!

continued next post

Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #88
Moira222

Day 6: Happy Birthday Joe! part 2

Our backlot tour gave us a sneak preview to our next attraction: Lights! Motors! Action! where we have a special treat prepared.

most of my indoor shots were bad -- too dark or fuzzy.

We left the Backlot and headed to the 1:15 show of

We had something special in store, but didn’t know what. A friend of Joe’s from here in PA has a daughter that works for Disney. This is an older gentleman that Joe has known for years. When he heard that we were going to Disney, he mentioned it to his daughter –and she arranged VIP seating for us at LMA!

It was a little surreal when Joe gave our names to the cast member at the line’s entrance. We were given directions to bypass the line and walk around to the seating area’s entrance. eeeee just this was awesome. So we were then escorted to seats at the very front of the stadium. If you were facing the seating area, you’d see two separate sections, one on either side of the tunnel where stunt cars go in and out. We were on the left from that same view. The area was marked off “Reserved’ VIP Seating” …and we were going in! OMG awesome! We had nice comfy director’s chairs with a great view to everything going on.

As we were sitting looking around, we noticed that on the other side of the tunnel, in the other VIP area, was Jonas Rivera, the producer of UP! who we’d gone to see on Sunday afternoon. Did I mention this was awesome? I seem to be over using that word a lot. sorry. but it was… awesome that is!

Our host came out and chatted with us a bit, and asked if we could stick around when the show was over. Of Course!!!

It was odd to be sitting there as people started entering, wondering just who the heck we were!

We had a great view of everything

The really fun thing was that as the show was going on, the director and the producer are talking about how they are setting up the shot, where the cars are going to come from, etc. They mention that they have this really excellent stunt director, Joe (last name).

They mention this stunt director Joe (my Joe!)’s name a few times in the conversation. At first Joe looks at me and says “Oh how weird they have a stunt director with my name”

After a few more times, we catch on that they’ve worked Joe’s name into the script.

Herbie made an appearance = here he’s going into that tunnel

They also mention’s that its Joe’s birthday, and that he’s here visiting with his wife Mary Ellen and daughter Kathryn.

LOL We are all looking at each other and laughing.Its just really funny...and Joe is hoping he is not "being set up"

Joe taped pretty much the whole show. The nice thing about that little playsport was once you had your shot in view, you could just hold it in place and actually watch the show.

continued next post
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #89
Moira222

Day 6: Happy Birthday Joe! part 3

When the show was over, we waited for the crowd to filter out. Our host cam out and we chatted some more and gave Joe a very special birthday card

Then we got to walk out on to the stunt show course and go back and meet the drivers and their cars.

We posed by Herbie of course

and with the drivers who were all really nice guys.

We chatted for a little while, got to see the engines and the inside of some of the cars used in the stunts. It was a very special treat that we will remember for a long long time.

When we exited LMA we saw this band cruising out to perform somewhere, but we never did catch them.

It was hot but we’d heard that there were soft openings of Star Tours, so we headed over to see if we could get on.

That fountain was tempting!

No luck. The ride was closed, we were hot and just a little hungry. Good thing I’d heard about Writer’s Corner here on the DIS boards!!

Katie ordered a toffee… wow was that tasty! Joe had a chocolate chip muffin, and I just had a frozen cappuccino. MMMM Katie also had some frozen concoction with two different flavors mixed.

After our snack, we continued down a ways. TSM had a crazy line so we just passed it by. Katie wanted to do the Great Movie Ride again, and Joe was very happy to sit in the shade and finish most of Katie’s slushie while we did so.

HA! I did have photos from this ride, though lots are blurry and they are all very dark.

After finishing our fantastic movie ride (its just FUN! and CHECK! yet another never done ride has been crossed off my list!)

We moved on to yet another attraction that I’d wanted to do the last two times we were here: Narnia.

I admit it-- I have read the series about 4 times, at varying ages. Love the books, and have enjoyed the first two movies – I have not yet seen Voyage of the Dawn Treader. So I was really looking forward to something based solely on the title. It’s probably the only attraction that I was really disappointed in.

We grouped in the entry hall and there were a few props from the first movie . I don’t even remember if they played a movie or any intros but think they did not. We entered the next room which was a cave like room, and in the center of it was the stone altar from the first Narnia Movie (where the Snow Queen sacrifices Aslan) and they played some video about the movie. We exited into a room with some of the costumes from the movies. That room I like but really I was expecting something more like a ride or attraction, not so much a museum type show area. Oh well, live and learn. I liked seeing the costumes, they were cool.

After Narnia, we wandered out of the park, and headed to our dinner reservations. It being Joe’s birthday, we had a special dinner planned.
continued next post
Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #90
Moira222

Day 6: Happy Birthday Joe! part 4

Joe just fell in love walking off the bus at the Polynesian. I see that we will have to plan a stay there sometime (you know, like some time when we make more money!). He LOVED the Hawaiian shirts everywhere, the décor, the Tiki dudes everywhere. The beach was just lovely.

(see the big hero medal?)

We stopped for our photo and then, since I totally forgot to do it ahead of time, we checked in and picked up our tickets.

We had a very short wait to be seated at our table. We were using DDP credits, so had the section one step up from the floor. But a good view of the stage nonetheless.

The Food:

The big salad and pineapple plate was yummy. I love salad. really. I could have eaten the whole big plate myself but I was kind and shared with my family.

The chicken and ribs were terrific. Especially the ribs. Katie ate about six all by herself. We would have ordered more but apparently the servers are instructed to clear the tables before the main part of the show started because we were not given the chance. but that plate was totally empty!

Our dinners also included wine, and our server was really very nice – neither of the wines offered really appealed to me but she brought me two different types to see which I liked. When neither was quite “it” she came back with a wine spritzer – and a glass of sprite so I could make spritzers with the other two remaining glasses. It really didn’t look so good for me, sitting with three glasses of wine in front of me. Oh yeah, and they were definitely all empty by the time we left!

Katie went up and joined the other kids for a hula lesson. She looked so cute, though she later said she had no idea what she was doing (like all the other kids were experts!)

my goodness she looks so tall next to all the other kids!

Then they called up all the birthday and anniversary celebrants and Joe joined in the dancing fun! (wine helped!)

The Show:

The show was a lot of fun. We enjoyed the story and the fun banter between the characters.

The dancers were great. so great that I totally forgot to take a picture of our dessert! LOL. The dessert was great – thought it was odd that we were not offered coffee with our dessert but oh well, right? Maybe it’s not the Hawaiian way? One note: aside from the dance up front, there were no birthday cupcakes or anything like that. Bummer for Joe.

Let’s hear it for the band….

this guy was awesome

not to mention easy on the eyes!

aaahh I feel refreshed just writing this and going through all the pictures again. A totally different experience than the HDDR, we enjoyed it just as much.

continued next post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: