Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #136
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
I have an update all ready to go but just thought I'd tell you all that today my baby girl turned 8 years old.

and I just love how some days the simple things are all she needs. $ being a b
tell me, how can you not just love love a kid like that?
Happy belated birthday! And...really...how could you not love her?

I don't understand why they don't send out Darth Vader every once in awhile, at times other than SWW. I know that makes the weekends that much more of a big deal, but I think Disney could do A LOT more with Star Wars than they do. My husband is a huge SW fan, I'll be curious to see what he thinks of the new Star Tours, as he was underwhelmed by the old version.

Quote:

After while someone else came in with another little girl but they didn’t stay long. ( I watched every little girl to see if I recognized Caitlyn...I was SO SURE I'd run into pinkxray somewhere!) I settled into a rocking chair and watched a bit of classic Disney shorts on the tv while Katie colored, happy for a little downtime. Katie really enjoyed being in there, and actually requested that we leave her there and go to dinner without her. We may have except the childcare part of the evening doesn’t start till 4:30, and we needed to leave around 4 to get to our dinner reservation at Kouzzina.

I wish you guys had gotten the chance to meet. My Dismeets (and the amazing weather...it was February, after all) were one of the highlights of our trip.

Kouzinna sounds so good. Seriously considered it for this trip. Maybe we'll still make it over for breakfast? There is STILL a ton of ADR availability for the trip, if you can believe it. Not sure what that's about, but I'm hoping it means lighter crowds.

Quote:
So dinner over, we were bound for Epcot. Ok here I made a rookie mistake. I made my family turn around and wait for the ferry (because I wanted to take a ferry in!..ok and my feet hurt from a week of touring) well they kept bugging me because we waited so long for that ferry we could have ..and should have..walked.
That's all right...when we were at EPCOT with my mom this February she wanted to wait for the boat over to WS, which we did. It would have been far quicker to walk (we were only going to Germany), but she needed the respite, I suppose. But you got a nice boat ride out of the deal!

Quote:
but ride the ferry we did (I felt really silly when I saw how short the walk was) and entered Epcot at a lovely little entrance behind France. (sort of).

LOVED THAT!
Yeah, isn't the International Gateway cool? I cannot believe we're staying right there with our own little personal entrance to EPCOT.

Quote:
But of course, my power walker had a mission that was not to be interfered with. (grrrr) Eventually they waited for me to catch up (I was waiting for a kid free shot of Jasmine & Aladdin) and we headed to Japan to the pick a pearl.
Pick a pearl looks like so much fun. Maybe I"ll do it this time...do they have rings? I'd love a right hand ring and a Disney one would be great!

Quote:
After the People Mover we headed over to the Carousel of Progress.

We had the whole theater to ourselves so it was pretty cool. None of us had ever been on this ride before and we all really enjoyed it.
Sounds like you had a great start to your day at MK. We love the CofP. For one, its a classic and, to me, represents all of Walt's best ideas for the future. Its one of the rides I remember so distinctly from childhood, back when that final scene really did seem futuristic. Max and I could both sing that whole song, too!

I love the pictures of the Fantasyland construction. Can't wait to see it finished.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #137
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

You got a lot done!

Those cinnamon buns are so good!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #138
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Happy belated birthday! And...really...how could you not love her?

I don't understand why they don't send out Darth Vader every once in awhile, at times other than SWW. I know that makes the weekends that much more of a big deal, but I think Disney could do A LOT more with Star Wars than they do. My husband is a huge SW fan, I'll be curious to see what he thinks of the new Star Tours, as he was underwhelmed by the old version.

I agree with your hubby - they could do more with the Star Wars characters.

I wish you guys had gotten the chance to meet. My Dismeets (and the amazing weather...it was February, after all) were one of the highlights of our trip.

I had tried one or two other as well but it was not in the stars this time!

Kouzinna sounds so good. Seriously considered it for this trip. Maybe we'll still make it over for breakfast? There is STILL a ton of ADR availability for the trip, if you can believe it. Not sure what that's about, but I'm hoping it means lighter crowds.
I wonder what their breakfast menu is like? I will have to go look. Dinner was fantastic.

That's all right...when we were at EPCOT with my mom this February she wanted to wait for the boat over to WS, which we did. It would have been far quicker to walk (we were only going to Germany), but she needed the respite, I suppose. But you got a nice boat ride out of the deal!

Yeah, isn't the International Gateway cool? I cannot believe we're staying right there with our own little personal entrance to EPCOT.

I would really really love to stay there. I am aiming for our next big family trip to rent DVC points. that will be a while I'm sure.

Pick a pearl looks like so much fun. Maybe I"ll do it this time...do they have rings? I'd love a right hand ring and a Disney one would be great!

They had nice rings. I was planning to get a ring but then they told me that you should try not to get pearls wet with soap, it dulls them. I am constantly washing my hands and just know that I wouldn't remember to take it off every time so I opted for a necklace.

Sounds like you had a great start to your day at MK. We love the CofP. For one, its a classic and, to me, represents all of Walt's best ideas for the future. Its one of the rides I remember so distinctly from childhood, back when that final scene really did seem futuristic. Max and I could both sing that whole song, too!

I love the pictures of the Fantasyland construction. Can't wait to see it finished.
Me too!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #139
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MaryEllen, first, thank you for the info on the Pick-A-Pearl.

What a great morning at the MK! You sure got a lot done in that amount of time. I love the pic of the three of you at the Caroussel of Progress (this is what I call my "naptime" ride; Mark loves it and I sleep through it!).

Thanks, Joe and Katie for all of those construction pics.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #140
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Hi there! I know I am super late to this party but I found your report and read the entire thing today. What a great TR this is!! I'm sad I found it so late. I am planning on taking my two daughters for WDW next May for the oldest DD's 13th birthday. Did you like going in May? How were the crowds, weather and all that good jazz?

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)

(Hoping for pixie dust to make this happen!)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #141
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Hi there! I know I am super late to this party but I found your report and read the entire thing today. What a great TR this is!! I'm sad I found it so late. I am planning on taking my two daughters for WDW next May for the oldest DD's 13th birthday. Did you like going in May? How were the crowds, weather and all that good jazz?
Hi Kelly, Welcome!!

I really liked May. some days were absolutely beautiful a few days got hot for us -- 90. We had rain only the first day we were there and it did not interfere with our plans at all. The crowd levels were great -- we did not hit any wildly crazy crowds at all. the last friday at DHS was the start of star wars weekends --that park was busy but nothing like I have heard they can be like at Christmas or mid summer. Prior to this trip we did January trips and I think that MLK weekend in January was more crowded than when we went in May. You and your kids will love it!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #142
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

I have been reading along all this time but just way behind and finally I have gotten all caught up....on your final day!! At least I haven't missed the end!! No way I can comment on all I have read! But a few things that I remember:
*I am not impressed with Chef Mickey's or CR either. We do like the character interaction but that is about it!
*What a great day at AK!!
*LMA: that was AWESOME!!!! How cool was that?!?! and on Joe's birthday! and I am so glad he liked his Hero gift! Also, bravo on having his cards with you...smart thinking!!!
*I also find it pretty great that you accomplished so much in such short periods of time plus you got to check off so many 1st time things!
*This last day (at least so far) seems to be Awesome!! (I like that word too!! LOL)

There is so much more but I will leave it at that. Also, Katie is so cute! You and Joe may have your hands full in a few years!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #143
Lovemy3babes

Quote:
Hi Kelly, Welcome!!

I really liked May. some days were absolutely beautiful a few days got hot for us -- 90. We had rain only the first day we were there and it did not interfere with our plans at all. The crowd levels were great -- we did not hit any wildly crazy crowds at all. the last friday at DHS was the start of star wars weekends --that park was busy but nothing like I have heard they can be like at Christmas or mid summer. Prior to this trip we did January trips and I think that MLK weekend in January was more crowded than when we went in May. You and your kids will love it!
Thank you so very much Mary Ellen!

(updated 2/20/14)

Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #144
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I have been reading along all this time but just way behind and finally I have gotten all caught up....on your final day!! At least I haven't missed the end!! No way I can comment on all I have read! But a few things that I remember:
*I am not impressed with Chef Mickey's or CR either. We do like the character interaction but that is about it!
*What a great day at AK!!
*LMA: that was AWESOME!!!! How cool was that?!?! and on Joe's birthday! and I am so glad he liked his Hero gift! Also, bravo on having his cards with you...smart thinking!!!
*I also find it pretty great that you accomplished so much in such short periods of time plus you got to check off so many 1st time things!
*This last day (at least so far) seems to be Awesome!! (I like that word too!! LOL)

There is so much more but I will leave it at that. Also, Katie is so cute! You and Joe may have your hands full in a few years!
I hear you with being behind. Between work being work and lots of summer time events with Katie and our family, a huge birthday party camp out at my house, and getting things sorted for my DSIL to move in with us for a little while I am just beat at night and too tired to get online even. and work is not cooperating...i actually have things to do! what the heck?

I'm so glad you posted because I somehow missed the TR link in your signature - I read through your PTR (though I think I missed the last of it because we were away!)

I do have to finish this...but not now. stupid job.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #145
Moira222

Day 9: 'Round Midnight (our last day in the parks)

The morning was getting late, and HOT! We took the ferry back to the resort and picked up lunch at Roaring Forks. No photos, we were hungry and it was good. Joe had a veggie wrap and a brownie, which he spread peanut butter all over. (We are a peanut butter loving family) I had a BBQ pork pizza on a flat bread –oh so yummy!!! Katie stuck with pb & j, french fries, and carrots. I saved my dessert to go back and get some soft serve – I indulged in each flavor, then melted peanut butter over the top and mmmmmmmm the whole family shared.

After lunch we changed into swimsuits and headed out for some cool fun. Katie and I had a ball going down the slide. I love water slides…but not the big huge ones that give you a wedgie! Joe and I alternated between pool time and lounging in the chairs alongside the pool. After a while they started the pool party. Katie won a small beach ball at the hula hoop contest while we hung out in the hot tub for a little. Then they started doing Disney Trivia. Joe headed up for a nap & I played in the pool a little and helped Katie win another inflatable tiger ball with a trivia question. She was so thrilled. I love that!

After a while we headed upstairs as well to dry off and have a little relaxation time.

At 4 pm we were back on the ferry headed to the Magic Kingdom for our dinner reservations at the Crystal Palace.

One more place we had on our must try list. We had only a short wait for our table, and Eeyore was on his way. YAY Katie waited for him to come before going for food. Only for some strange reason he walked right past us and on to the 4 adults at the table next to us. Weird right? We thought he’d come back but he didn’t! Joe stopped down to ask the waiter to see if he’d come back. He did, and all was right in the world.

The buffet at CP has some great food: lots of salads, fruits, chicken marsala, ratatouille, roast beef, roast pork, veggies, pasta salad ….I think that actually may be a list of everything I tasted! Katie was not so thrilled with the mac and cheese or pizza but loved the chicken nuggets and then went back to some other things from the “adult” side.

While there Katie met all off the 100 Acres Woods gang and joined in the parade around the restaurant.

The view from our table:

Me, playing with my camera settings…I think this came out really cool

After dinner we had some FP’s to use. Joe was not feeling into it, so Katie and I used our FP’s and even with them still took about 15 -20 min to get on the ride. Since we had one FP left, Katie wanted to ride on her own. The CM let me go through without a FP, and I stayed with Katie through the line, but she rode on her own. She was so cute, smiling all the way, dancing when she got off, proud of her solo flight!

After Peter Pan, we headed down for a history lesson: the Hall of Presidents. the wait area is so nice, so informative, I almost wish we had more time in that area. We enjoyed the show, and it seemed like they made a lot of changes since when we saw it in 2007.

After a bit of browsing, we wandered down to BTMRR. Hmmm. Decision time. It was 7:40. The line said the wait time is 30 minutes, and the FP return time is 8:45. we figured we’d do better just getting inline and not going for the FP. Katie and I decide to ride (Joe is having some tummy troubles) and get in line. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. and wait. That 30 minute wait was a total lie! We finally got to the ride at 8:45 – over an hour’s wait! While we enjoyed the ride, I was frustrated because I wanted to see EP at 9 pm and it was all the way up front…and my initial plan to take the train back and watch from the top of the train station was out the window, as the train had stopped running.

Power walking once again, we headed up through that back gate near Crystal Palace. Katie and I found a vacant bench on the porch of the Crystal Palace.

It was not the best view for the parade (ok it was a crappy view of the parade

)
but it was a great seat for the fireworks! Joe stood down by the garden area to video the fireworks. Haven’t seen that video yet, wonder if he got the parade in there too??

Joe left after the fireworks (he was thinking the veggie wrap didn’t set so well from lunch). Katie and I stayed and wandered back to Adventure land for a few more rides. We rode Pirates and Aladdin (making sure that the couple in the back seat of our carpet found out about the Spitting Camel! heehee)

We took a trip on the Jungle Cruise – it was really fun going in the dark. Something about it being the end of the day, end of the week, etc. sort of had my filter turned way down and I was just chiming in on the corny jokes. Cracked myself up pretty good!

After Jungle Cruise it was pretty late –well after 11 pm and Katie was still really really wanting popcorn. We headed back up through that lovely little bridge that brings you out by the Crystal Palace to catch the end of a second show of the EP! Oh man! I would have waited for that had I known there was a second show. Oh well… it was over by the time we got to Main St, where there was a trusty popcorn vendor still open. Popcorn in hand, we stopped for our final PhotoPass picture of the trip. Sad.

We headed down Main St and into the shops, walking through and checking everything out. I found a great Grumpy tee for Joe and some pretzels to take back to the office. Our very last stop of the night was the Fire Station. Katie and I were looking for something special for Joe. When my sister and her family went to WDW in 2005 she bought a framed print for him of a police officer shaking hands with Mickey. We were looking for something with that for a surprise gift. I thought if it would be anywhere, it would be here. Happily Katie found the perfect item!

Unhappily there was a glitch with the cash register that took about 20 minutes or so to get it re started. So we waited, paid for our special gift and hit the docks for the Wilderness Lodge. Katie was very happy to report that she accomplished her goal – staying out after midnight!

Back at the room Joe was watching TV, tummy finally settled after a battle that nearly depleted the air freshener. (sorry couldn’t resist). He loved his grumpy shirt, and I quickly hid the big package that he was going to have to wait a month for –that one was for Father’s day!

Now THAT is the way to wrap up the last park day at DisneyWorld!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #146
Lovemy3babes

I have never done Jungle Cruise at night but I hear it's lots of fun! I love the gift you gave Joe. Is he a police officer? What a nice way to end your last night in WDW.

(updated 2/20/14)

Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #147
Moira222

So Sad. Going Home Day.

Sunday was a lazy pack up morning. ME was picking us up around noon, so we did not have to rush. Joe and I ate a light breakfast on the balcony while Katie slept in. I started packing up, and she finally woke up. She and Joe headed down for muffins and Katie went for a swim while Joe watched. I stayed upstairs to pack. blah!

Once everything was packed and delivered to bell services for the ME pick up, we got some lunch at the Roaring Forks. I wish I could remember what we ate, but I can’t. I think Katie had a pizza, and I'm pretty sure Joe had the roast beef & blue cheese sandwich. I do remember getting some yummy Mickey rice krispy pops for the plane. YUMMM

We headed outside to wait for the ME back to the airport. Funny – when you are arriving at WDW, you have a luxurious red carpet and roped off area leading you to your bus. When you are going home, you sit on a bench in the bright sun with no shade and smell bus smog while you wait for ride to the airport. hmmmm

Our ride to the airport and flight home was easy and uneventful. When we got outside at our airport, we actually needed jackets …it was a lovely 30+ degrees cooler at home than it was in Orlando that morning. As much fun as Disney is, home is just lovely.

Thanks to everyone who read along and shared thoughts insights and everything else with me as I planned & relived this trip! I can't wait till I have a new ticker! Till then, I'll see you round the boards!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #148
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Awww, it's over! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #149
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
I have never done Jungle Cruise at night but I hear it's lots of fun! I love the gift you gave Joe. Is he a police officer? What a nice way to end your last night in WDW.
Yes, he is a police officer. That particular statue is special to him so I was so thrilled to find it! Its on our mantle at home now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Awww, it's over! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
I know, sad that its over...but I will continue to live vicariously through every one else's trip reports!! (til I have a new ticker!)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #150
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I just went back and I saw that my last post never posted. Normally I would just let it go, but it was my Happy Birthday Katie post.

Happy Belated Birthday Katie!!!!!

I can't believe your trip is over already.

I feel like I am never going to finish my trip report

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Hopefully you will have a nice new ticker soon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: