Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

it has to be something that is small and does not take up alot of room because the crew members quarters are REALLY small...

Something edible is good... also gift cards - (even a $10 card to Walmart is nice)

we left our books we read and magazines because they don't get those and they trade them with other cast members for other books, etc.

Also.. getting out of their way (room attendants) when they need to do their work. And keeping the room neat not only helps you, but also the crew in doing their job...

They don't get a lot of time off and just letting them know that they are appreciated goes a long way with them.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Thanks so much for the information- these ideas make it a no-brainer to pick up something for bonus tipping.

Just a bit over 6 months to go!!!
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
tessasmom
Mouseketeer

Engle, that was a very generous thing to do, letting the CM check out the sights. Especially since he showed an interest by craning his neck! LOL! Sometimes it's the little things some of us take for granted that can make a big difference in someone's day. Ignore the negativity here, it's in the minority. I love the idea of a small gift for CM's that make the trip extra special! We have never done that on our previous cruises, but left nice tips. This will be our first DCL cruise, so I'm glad someone mentioned it!

AoA 11/2013~Fantasy Eastern 11/2013
DREAM 12/4/2011~ FANTASY 11/30/13~ AOA 11/28/13~POP 12/1/2011~WDW too many times to count as a child!
tessasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
Um, he was out there maybe a total of 30 seconds each time...and we only invited him out after we saw him craning his neck to see...by the third day, he was asking to go out...this is for sure one thing I dislike about the disboards....I am sure not EVERYONE will be inviting their delivery person out on their verandah...ugh.
Quote:
So, we ordered room service every morning on the Alaskan. At least coffee. We had the same delivery person every day. And every day we would invite him in to put down the tray. The second day, the sights started to get AMAZING, so we invited him to step out on the verandah to take a look. He loved it! He was so thankful. I know they, especially dining and room stewards, do not get a lot of free time, and this was their first time to Alaska too. So be sure to invite your room steward and/or room service person to take in the sights for a few minutes while in your room...especially if you have a verandah!!
Really?? My intent was not to be negative. I am sure that you were trying to do something nice and thoughtful. But in your original post, you suggested to invite your server into your room for a 'few minutes'. Your good intentions could have negative impact on delery persons income and delayed delivery for others. I am guessing that there must be hundreds of staterooms getting room service deliveries each morning and that time is a limited resource.
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #20
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCowboy View Post
Really?? My intent was not to be negative. I am sure that you were trying to do something nice and thoughtful. But in your original post, you suggested to invite your server into your room for a 'few minutes'. Your good intentions could have negative impact on delery persons income and delayed delivery for others. I am guessing that there must be hundreds of staterooms getting room service deliveries each morning and that time is a limited resource.

I agree with you. I hate to be a wet blanket, but if I were waiting for my coffee to be delivered, and had any idea that the CM was on someone's balcony enjoying the view, I wouldn't be a happy cruiser.
I guess I'm a no-fun fuddy-duddy. While I do agree that the CM's could (and probably should) politely decline, they're also instructed to make the passengers happy.....most find it hard to say no to anything.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
ICMDGO
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Flower* View Post
Could you give me an idea of what kind of items you brought as little gifts? That sounds like something we might want to do.

Thanks so much!
We brought little gifts from our town. Rocky Mountain Chocolate (headquarters is in Durango), some dip mix, honey and jams from a local business. All food items so he didn't have to keep anything and he could share with others if he wanted to.
ICMDGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

One year we brought salt water taffy from the shore. Another year we bought the strips of chocolate bars during our grocery stop. You'd think they had never seen chocolate when we handed those out Also international phone cards are most appreciated.

And I for one think the thoughtful gesture of letting the room server out on your verandah for a few minutes to enjoy the view was most generous and will be a great memory for him!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #23
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
So, we ordered room service every morning on the Alaskan. At least coffee. We had the same delivery person every day. And every day we would invite him in to put down the tray. The second day, the sights started to get AMAZING, so we invited him to step out on the verandah to take a look. He loved it! He was so thankful. I know they, especially dining and room stewards, do not get a lot of free time, and this was their first time to Alaska too. So be sure to invite your room steward and/or room service person to take in the sights for a few minutes while in your room...especially if you have a verandah!!
I thought this was so thoughtful of you.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
clten
DIS Veteran

I have to pop in and say that with room service servers, they are very often just running between the kitchens and the rooms that they very rarely get to see outside. When we were on the transatlantic last year, we also had a room service server that came to deliver for us several times. He would chat with us as he delivered our items. One day he asked how the weather was. It just never occured to us that he wouldn't know. So we told him he could take a look for himself. He also was unbelievably grateful that we let him step out onto our veranda.

I don't think that him stepping out there the few times that he did, delayed anyone else's delivery (you can tell when room service is busy or not by how fast they answer your calls and how quick you get your food) and he didn't lose money because we tipped him very well for each delivery. I don't know that I would invite every server out but I think you can tell if it is someone who would appreciate it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again because he helped make our cruise more special and it didn't take anymore time than chatting with him for a few minutes would have.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Sorry for contributing to this so late, but wow--that is such an incredibly kind idea and I'm sure your room service attendant must've really appreciated it. Like a previous poster said, little things like this really can make the crew members' days. I think it's important to go out of your way a bit to let them know how much you appreciate their help. Letting them check out the view is just one great example. If more people show little acts of kindness you will make their job so much easier! I love the idea of giving them gifts too (not just the room service people but also the servers, room attendants, and even just random crew members you see walking around, like the guys in the orange suits). I'm sad to admit that I've witnessed numerous people being disrespectful and unappreciative of the crew members; it really ruins my day but think about how it affects theirs.

I will most definitely get some little gifts for crew members to bring on my next cruise and I encourage everyone else to do the same!! Little things really do go a long way.

If anyone has any other suggestions for acts of kindness towards crew members please share!

Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #26
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
Sorry for contributing to this so late, but wow--that is such an incredibly kind idea and I'm sure your room service attendant must've really appreciated it. Like a previous poster said, little things like this really can make the crew members' days. I think it's important to go out of your way a bit to let them know how much you appreciate their help. Letting them check out the view is just one great example. If more people show little acts of kindness you will make their job so much easier! I love the idea of giving them gifts too (not just the room service people but also the servers, room attendants, and even just random crew members you see walking around, like the guys in the orange suits). I'm sad to admit that I've witnessed numerous people being disrespectful and unappreciative of the crew members; it really ruins my day but think about how it affects theirs.

I will most definitely get some little gifts for crew members to bring on my next cruise and I encourage everyone else to do the same!! Little things really do go a long way.

If anyone has any other suggestions for acts of kindness towards crew members please share!
I am all for the acts of kindness. I can't imagine the grind of the continuous long days of work the crew experiences, and they still seem so happy and friendly! A note card filled out expressing thanks and appreciation along with some token(s) of some sort for them is nice, along with mentioning them when filling out your comment card is great. This could possibly help with promotions even. When we went to an all inclusive on vacation, we were not allowed to tip. I brought travel size bottles of Bath and Body Works lotion, shower gel, and body spray and tied a cute ribbon on the bottles and wrote a note saying "Thanks for taking such great care of us" on each. Partly to thank them, partly so their supervisors would know it was a gift for them and that they hadn't stolen the items. On our upcoming 7 day cruise we will definitely give our room attendant and servers something extra above and beyond the 'suggested' tipping, along with friendliness and appreciation shown towards them!
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny145 View Post
I think that is AWSOME of you....so true that they don't get enough time to take everything in. I bet he really appreciated it! I'm going to follow your lead in August.

Oh BTW some people need happy pills to stay nice and some MORE than others! Ignore negative comments...or stupid ones...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I agree with you. I hate to be a wet blanket, but if I were waiting for my coffee to be delivered, and had any idea that the CM was on someone's balcony enjoying the view, I wouldn't be a happy cruiser.
I guess I'm a no-fun fuddy-duddy. While I do agree that the CM's could (and probably should) politely decline, they're also instructed to make the passengers happy.....most find it hard to say no to anything.
I can also see them not saying no to anything. I'm sure they will come and take a look and they know they have to get back to work. Also, don't they cruise every week so I'm sure they've taken a peak at the views at some point during their contract?

Maybe he was trying to look at something else...jk, jk. I know what I look like in the morning. jk.
"Hmm, maybe I'll just look out this way while she gives me a tip so I can get the heck out of here"...just kinda kidding.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 12-06-2012 at 12:03 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #28
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When we were on the Fantasy in Oct we had no use for the castaway cay gift -- the backpack. They're nice, but we didn't want to add it to our overloaded, already-heavy luggage, and decided to leave the backpack behind for whoever to do whatever with it. Just after we left our room, the steward came out with the backpack and told us we'd left it. We told him he could do whatever he wanted with it.

His face lit up and he exclaimed, "My first backpack!" Just like a kid at Christmas.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ
When we were on the Fantasy in Oct we had no use for the castaway cay gift -- the backpack. They're nice, but we didn't want to add it to our overloaded, already-heavy luggage, and decided to leave the backpack behind for whoever to do whatever with it. Just after we left our room, the steward came out with the backpack and told us we'd left it. We told him he could do whatever he wanted with it.

His face lit up and he exclaimed, "My first backpack!" Just like a kid at Christmas.
Do you think he could keep it? The backpack?

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014, Feb 2015 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
Do you think he could keep it? The backpack?
Have no idea. Hope his superviser didn't accuse him of stealing it.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: