Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
VroomVroomLightning
DIS Veteran

Traveling to the Caribbean?

No not Carribean Beach Resort but the actual Caribbean? My partner and I are having a commitment ceremony this upcoming Fall and I have been trying to plan the perfect honeymoon! Today I got online and see that the Sandals resorts are offering a great deal on their resorts. I of course get so excited and start researching all of them. I find one we like in Jamaica and I book it.

Later this evening my fiance' ask me if Jamaica is gay friendly and it hits me like a bullet to the heart that she is right without even looking it up that they are not. I look it up and my heart sanks even more because it is not only accepted but illegal too in Jamaica. I dig a little further and see that up until a few years ago Sandals resorts were anti-gay and would not accept homosexual couples at their resorts.

I am now facing the fact that we will probably not get to go on this vacation because I do not want to put our lives at risk or feel on the edge the entire honeymoon.

I guess the point of this was 1. I knew people would listen here and understand 2. To ask if you have ever been to the Caribbean/Jamaica and your thoughts on that and lastly 3. My fiance' is asleep and I have no one else to talk to about this besides my three cats!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Schotz
Mouseketeer

Aye, you do not want to visit Jamaica. Actually there were not many places in the Caribbean I saw that had equal rights. Even if you are not gay, just visiting Jamaica being a white male, you will get a scary talking to from a rough local. The last time I visited Belize, most of the locals there gave white tourists an evil stare or threatening gestures. Personally the Caribbean has gone down hill in the past 10 years. Mexico is not bad, they just completed renovating a port in Cozumel, people were very friendly there (place was a little bit trashy thou).

The best place in the Caribbean, in my opinion is Castaway Key! Disney does it better. The Bahamas had very friendly people, my most recent visit there last year.

A good friend of mine, who is married & gay, goes to Puerto Rico and says it Fabulous! I have never been there.... yet.
Schotz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I would definitely stay away from Jamaica. If you want to visit the Caribbean, you can try Aruba. I loved it when I was there and to be gay friendly. (It's Dutch after all.)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...176028778.html
Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
DOPEYLUVER
DIS Veteran

I know a few years ago when the Family's R Us charter ship visited Nassau they were met by lots of protesters. I have heard that much of the Caribbean is not gay friendly.

I do not specifically know about Aruba but as Mikelan sail being Dutch I would assume it's friendly.

Last year I cruised and one of the stops was St. Thomas. There were many, many, many rainbow flags on the shops. So I think the U.S. Virgin Islands would be a good choice.

DOPEYLUVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

There are other places you can go! PM me! All will be OK!
Tony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: