Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Prozac07
Mouseketeer

Feeling crafty for our first cruise!

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are HUGE Disney fans, and after getting engaged and married at WDW, and being new members of DVC, we decided to spend our first points allotment on a cruise! AND we're treating DH's mom, dad, sister, and grandma to the trip too (this will be a surprise at Christmas)!

I want to make this Christmas surprise as magical as I can. My big plan is to pack all of them a gift bag full of little supplies and crafts and then Jason and I can unveil the real gift of the cruise. The only real idea I have so far is to get everyone a passport holder in their favorite characters. I know there's a ton of creativity and love in here, would any of you mind sharing? Pics of course are welcome too!

New Years @ CS Dec 2009-Jan 2010
Engaged @ Cinderella's Castle 1/1/10 Birthdays @ CS Sept 2010-Oct 2010 Married @ Wedding Pavilion 4/22/11 Honeymoon@ POR April 2011 DVC SSR Owners May 2011 5 night Magic to Bahamas May 2012 DVC Aulani Owners May 2012 AKV Kidani May 2012 7 night Fantasy to W. Caribbean April 2013 AKV Owners April 2013 4 night DVC Member Cruise August 2014

Prozac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
BetzW
BetzW

Ideas

We haven't gone on our first DC yet but some ideas that might work would be wristlets, lanyards, door magnets (in know there is a post where you can print differnt Mickey ears etc) a bottle of water that you can remove the label and add your own maybe with info about the cruise, a Fish extender, sunglasses, sunscreen, a mini scrapbook or autograph book, Thats all I can think of right now but will post more if I think of them.
BetzW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Prozac07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetzW View Post
We haven't gone on our first DC yet but some ideas that might work would be wristlets, lanyards, door magnets (i know there is a post where you can print different Mickey ears etc) a bottle of water that you can remove the label and add your own maybe with info about the cruise, a Fish extender, sunglasses, sunscreen, a mini scrapbook or autograph book, that's all I can think of right now but will post more if I think of them.

Thanks BetzW! That's a great start. For anyone else reading this too, I forgot to mention we're all adults... youngest is 24. Although my DH loves to tease me that I need to get an autograph book... I'd rather take pics of characters with random kids than wait in line.
Thanks again!

Engaged @ Cinderella's Castle 1/1/10 Birthdays @ CS Sept 2010-Oct 2010 Married @ Wedding Pavilion 4/22/11 Honeymoon@ POR April 2011 DVC SSR Owners May 2011 5 night Magic to Bahamas May 2012 DVC Aulani Owners May 2012 AKV Kidani May 2012 7 night Fantasy to W. Caribbean April 2013 AKV Owners April 2013 4 night DVC Member Cruise August 2014

Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
glindamood
DIS Veteran

Disposable camera (underwater), sunscreen, visor, beach bag, small sewing kit, CD of cruise (steel drum, Disney, Jimmy Buffet etc) music, maybe the DCL planning video (for after the surprise) and travel books maybe.

glindamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Door magnets are good for adults, and so are little pads of post-it notes with nice DCL covers (we received one of these as a gift and it was quite useful on the cruise). Maybe you can get one of those little mesh bags for taking things to the beach or pool, too.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
shelleyr25
Queen of the Adult Pool

You can make personalized tshirts for the group using iron on transfer paper for a laser printer and cheap tshirts from a craft store

Turkey with Mickey 11/2014
Disney Dream 2/2014
Magical Summer 2012-8/25 out of NYC!!
Disney Dream- 4/2011
Disney Magic- 8/2009
WDW-Polynesian- 8/2007
Disney Wonder-DDC Cruise- 11/2006
WDW-Polynesian- 8/06 Epcot- off site- 12/96
WDW- off site- 8/88 Epcot- off site- 4/87

shelleyr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
chudson98
Mouseketeer

Over the door shoe holder (for use in their stateroom), reusable water bottle (for use at drink stations), movie candy, highlighters, special folder or box to keep cruise stuff, cruise countdown calendar!
chudson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac07 View Post

Although my DH loves to tease me that I need to get an autograph book... I'd rather take pics of characters with random kids than wait in line.
Thanks again!
I know you didn't mean anything remotely bad by this, but it just sounded creepy reading it. I know you didn't mean it to sound bad and I understood exactly what you're saying. Now it just makes me chuckle.

That is so cool what you are doing for your family. That's a big sacrifice of those first DVC points. Whatever you do for them will be awesome!!!

Good luck!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

Have you joined your Cruise Meet? Join in the FE exchange and make your family their own FE for the trip!
EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Prozac07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeygolf View Post
I know you didn't mean anything remotely bad by this, but it just sounded creepy reading it.

Hahaha! I guess I should rethink how I word things! I'm really not a creeper people, I just don't happen to have kids yet, and I attempt to get pics of characters without kids, but sometimes it happens. I don't have the patience of a parent yet!

Thank you for all your ideas so far everyone! I'm stalking the Creative DISigns board too for ideas and designs. Keep 'em comin!!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyr25 View Post
You can make personalized tshirts for the group using iron on transfer paper for a laser printer and cheap tshirts from a craft store
That would be a great last gift to let them know about the cruise... unless you're planning on surprising them in the port or something. But I like this idea, like give them all of the other stuff, and then the last thing you give them are the tee shirts that have the cruise dates and the name of the ship and where you're going on it. Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
Have you joined your Cruise Meet? Join in the FE exchange and make your family their own FE for the trip!
I was going to say that!

Zip ties to hold the FE in place (if you decide to give them all FE's to hang by their doors). That one would be HILARIOUS for the first gift... since a zip tie is just a small piece of plastic, they'd be like !

Other ideas: water bottles or refillable mugs for the drink stations, water shoes, door magnets (I know this one was already said, but it's a really, really good idea), pirate accessories for Pirate Night (eye patches, bandannas, flashy jewelry, etc...).
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Prozac07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
There's no Cruise Meet for my cruise yet (5/19/12 5-day Bahamanian on the Magic), so I may have to start one. I just spent like an hour researching FEs, I gotta make these! They'll have NO clue what the heck those are when they pull them out of their bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayna View Post
But I like this idea, like give them all of the other stuff, and then the last thing you give them are the tee shirts that have the cruise dates and the name of the ship and where you're going on it. Great idea!

Zip ties to hold the FE in place (if you decide to give them all FE's to hang by their doors). That one would be HILARIOUS for the first gift... since a zip tie is just a small piece of plastic, they'd be like !

Other ideas: water bottles or refillable mugs for the drink stations, water shoes, door magnets (I know this one was already said, but it's a really, really good idea), pirate accessories for Pirate Night (eye patches, bandannas, flashy jewelry, etc...).

Great ideas! I'm gonna have to stalk the local dollar stores/Targets/WalMarts for pirate gear! I got the zip ties already And I made a door magnet or 2 already, I'm gonna keep designing until Dec. 24!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
gfolchick
DIS Veteran

Bonine, Dramamine, Sea Bands, ginger chews/hard candies just in case, you don't want them getting seasick.
gfolchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Prozac07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfolchick View Post
Bonine, Dramamine, Sea Bands, ginger chews/hard candies just in case, you don't want them getting seasick.

No joke, I'm a pharmacist, and medicine is always the LAST thing I think of for vacations. THANK YOU!!!

Tags
christmas, craft, cruise, gifts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: