Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
tone.def
My Mommy told me I look pretty all the time - even when I'm stressed!!!
Last trip I brought little "moose droppings"

Exclamation IMPORTANT: New Passport Requirements for Children

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/articles/20110512.aspx?lang=eng
Quote:
To protect Canadian children against child abduction and to further enhance the security of the Canadian passport programme, Passport Canada will soon require that travel document applications for children under 16 years of age be accompanied by proof of parentage documentation*.

Effective December 1, along with standard application requirements, parents or legal guardians must provide with their child’s travel document application, either:

• A detailed birth certificate indicating the name of the parent(s) issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial vital statistics agency if the child was born in Canada. This document will serve as both proof of parentage and proof of citizenship;

o A certified copy of birth registration (original only) is also accepted for a child born in Ontario; and

o A copy of an act of birth (original only) issued after January 1, 1994, by the Directeur de l’état civil of Quebec is also accepted for a child born in Quebec;

• An order of adoption indicating the name of the adoptive parent(s); or

• A foreign birth certificate indicating the name of the parent(s) (documents in a language other than English or French must be translated into either English or French) if the child was born outside Canada.

All legal documents that refer to custody, the mobility of, or access to the child must be provided. If a divorce has been granted, a copy of the divorce judgment or order must also be provided. If a separation agreement exists, it must also be provided with the application.

*Exception: Applications submitted on behalf of a child will be accepted without proof of parentage only if all the following criteria are met:

• A Canadian travel document has previously been issued to the child in his or her name;

• The previously issued travel document is still valid or expired for less than one year; and

• The previously issued travel document accompanies the new application.

Passport Canada wishes to make Canadian travellers aware of these changes well in advance of the implementation date and encourages Canadians to initiate their travel document application process as soon as they begin to plan to travel to ensure that the proper documentation is obtained in time for a trip abroad.

It is important that parents and legal guardians factor in additional time to acquire proper documentation prior to submitting a travel document application for their child. Failure to provide the proper documentation will result in your child’s travel document application being rejected.

MAY 2013 - ART OF ANIMATION RESORT
DECEMBER 2011 - CORONADO SPRINGS & 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic & ALL STAR MUSIC RESORT
FEBRUARY 2011 - ALL STAR MOVIES RESORT
MARCH 2010 - ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
JANUARY 2010 - BEACH CLUB RESORT
JUNE 2008 - ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
DECEMBER 2007 - DOLPHIN
DECEMBER 2005 - POLYNESIAN RESORT
FEBRUARY 2004 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
DECEMBER 1992 - DIXIE LANDINGS (now PO)

I don't list the times spent offsite, because to me it doesn't count as a real Disney trip
tone.def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
sjsjbrook
DIS Veteran

I have to say I have already had to provide all these documents everytime I have applied and renewed my childrens passports.

The last time I renewed my DD 15 3/4 (at the time) passport I had my seperation agreement that said it superseeded any divorce judgement, it had been 10 years since my divorce and honestly I didn't even remember the document. I had to go to the court house and pay $2 to get a copy of it that said nothing about my child just the day of that my divorce was final.

I could have waited 3 more months for her to turn 16 and complete an adult passport, but that would have been $50 more.

I find it interesting that they are just officially requireing these documents this year.
sjsjbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

So if my kids (8 and 9) have passports ... then I don't need to do anything until they need to be renewed? Correct?

Ted
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Tower
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted in Halifax View Post
So if my kids (8 and 9) have passports ... then I don't need to do anything until they need to be renewed? Correct?
That's my understanding. I'll find out more when we renew DD8 and DS10 in September, but by then this thread will be gone. (Sorry, I'm not THAT much of a keener!)

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ted
That is also my understanding. However, the exception seems to indicate that if your children already have passports, it'll be fine renewing without the added document. Or am I reading this incorrectly?

It almost seems like the new documents is required when applying for a new passport. But if you are renewing, it sounds like this is the exception. :

*Exception: Applications submitted on behalf of a child will be accepted without proof of parentage only if all the following criteria are met:

• A Canadian travel document has previously been issued to the child in his or her name;

• The previously issued travel document is still valid or expired for less than one year; and

• The previously issued travel document accompanies the new application.

Am I mistaken?
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
tone.def
My Mommy told me I look pretty all the time - even when I'm stressed!!!
Last trip I brought little "moose droppings"

I read this as NEW youth passport application are affected, not renewals before expirations...

MAY 2013 - ART OF ANIMATION RESORT
DECEMBER 2011 - CORONADO SPRINGS & 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic & ALL STAR MUSIC RESORT
FEBRUARY 2011 - ALL STAR MOVIES RESORT
MARCH 2010 - ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
JANUARY 2010 - BEACH CLUB RESORT
JUNE 2008 - ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
DECEMBER 2007 - DOLPHIN
DECEMBER 2005 - POLYNESIAN RESORT
FEBRUARY 2004 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
DECEMBER 1992 - DIXIE LANDINGS (now PO)

I don't list the times spent offsite, because to me it doesn't count as a real Disney trip
tone.def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Tower
DIS Veteran

I imagine that Canadian Immigration Authorities are not DIS'ers?

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
sjsjbrook
DIS Veteran

So I went to passport canda's website. This is what they are requiring for new and renewals of passports for children under 16. I know this is all the documentation that I was required to show when I renewed passports for my 16 and 9 year old and for the new passport for my baby.

I wonder if in some provinces they didn't ask for this information and that is why they are announcing it?? Very interesting to say the least. However since I have all those documents, it really doesn't change much for me.

I have to say I loved how the person had to read through all 50 pages of my separation agreement, it was really boring stuff.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if I understand. So they're requiring the long form birth certificate and custody papers? I have custody papers but only the small wallet sized birth certificates. I'm not sure what the other documents they list are. So we need a passport to go to the US then? I was never sure about this.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
sjsjbrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I'm not sure if I understand. So they're requiring the long form birth certificate and custody papers? I have custody papers but only the small wallet sized birth certificates. I'm not sure what the other documents they list are. So we need a passport to go to the US then? I was never sure about this.
Yes basically they are saying in not so easy to read lingo

the long form birth certificate, which is a copy of your registration form you filled out when you registered your child. It is easy enough to get.

Your custody papers, if you are divorced your divorce judgement (not the certificate), any separation agreement, ( these documents I carry when we cross the border anyway just in case)

If you fly or come by water you need a passport for the children. If you drive you only need the small birth certificate for children under 15 and it can be a photo copy (but personally I would have the original). They put this in for school trips and hockey teams, dance competitions.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
lizabu
DIS Veteran

thanks so much
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

Quote:

Ted
I would say that is probably not correct. I renewed my DD6's passport and had the old one that had NOT expired yet and they told me they couldn't issue me a new one unless I had the long form birth certificate. I also have custody papers that say I have sole custody and can obtain a passport for the child and travel out of the country with the child without the permission of the other parent and they still wanted the long form

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
Disney Dad Canada
Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and anyone else that will listen

Also if you are a widow(er), remember to bring a death certificate. i was asked for one on our return the last trip.
Disney Dad Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
Kat&Dom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsjbrook View Post
I have to say I have already had to provide all these documents everytime I have applied and renewed my childrens passports.

The last time I renewed my DD 15 3/4 (at the time) passport I had my seperation agreement that said it superseeded any divorce judgement, it had been 10 years since my divorce and honestly I didn't even remember the document. I had to go to the court house and pay $2 to get a copy of it that said nothing about my child just the day of that my divorce was final.

I find it interesting that they are just officially requireing these documents this year.
Same for me. My son is 5 and for his first passport, we had to have the long version birth certificate.

At his renewal, his dad and I were divorced so I had my divorce judgement that stated I have Sole Custody of my son and can travel outside of Canada without the written permission of his father - plus my ex had signed off on the application but the agent asks me for a copy of the separation agreement! I didn't have a separation agreement as our divorce processed quickly so we didn't get one. It seemed to be a big issue to the agent that I didn't have a separation agreement but did have the Divorce Judgement!
Kat&Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
I would say that is probably not correct. I renewed my DD6's passport and had the old one that had NOT expired yet and they told me they couldn't issue me a new one unless I had the long form birth certificate.
Oh bother! I can't even think where I put it!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: