Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!
 
disneydreamfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 249

Wonder 2011 Dry Dock

Can anyone give me any details on the dry dock for the Wonder in 2011? Just "wonder"ing. Thanks!
__________________
Our Disney Vacations
Walt Disney World
•2001 - Boardwalk Villas •2004 - Old Key West •2006 - Port Orleans Riverside •2012 - Art of Animation (LK)
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
LKFan
DIS Veteran
 
LKFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,947

They are supposed to be fixing The Edge to be more than a modified conference room.
LKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine
 
SanDeeKath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 824

Enclosing the back of the buffet if I read correctly. It will allow for more comfortable Alaska sailings?
__________________



SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
narsibvl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
Enclosing the back of the buffet if I read correctly. It will allow for more comfortable Alaska sailings?
Hopefully it is a retractable sort of thing. Love that open air and view from BBB.
narsibvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran
 
mom2aidanNpiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
Enclosing the back of the buffet if I read correctly. It will allow for more comfortable Alaska sailings?
That would be great if so- even on the MR I was just on (and we have another one booked) on sea days it was COLD! The tables and chairs out there were empty often because it was too cold to eat out there. We often took lunch buffet trays back to our room- and we saw a lot of people doing this!
__________________
Me DH DS12 DD8


DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!
 
disneydreamfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 249

Thanks!

Thank you for your comments! Anyone else?
__________________
Our Disney Vacations
Walt Disney World
•2001 - Boardwalk Villas •2004 - Old Key West •2006 - Port Orleans Riverside •2012 - Art of Animation (LK)
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Dayita
Mouseketeer
 
Dayita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 86

I don't know what they'll be doing, but I do know where: Victoria BC!!!!

Charlene
__________________
Mama Charlene Ruby D

People who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those who're doing it...

Dayita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
GumbyO
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 61

Well after recently getting off of the Wonder I have to say it truly needs a drydock. The adult pool area and around the hot tubs is rusting, actually metal rusted through on the pool's edge. Tiles coming off of the steps inside the hot tub. Carpeting and some inside areas were tired looking. The ship was lovely, but really does need the update.
GumbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: california
Posts: 136

when?

When are they dry docking the Wonder?
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
Jathanis
Full Blown Disney Fanatic
 
Jathanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: California
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyO View Post
Well after recently getting off of the Wonder I have to say it truly needs a drydock. The adult pool area and around the hot tubs is rusting, actually metal rusted through on the pool's edge. Tiles coming off of the steps inside the hot tub. Carpeting and some inside areas were tired looking. The ship was lovely, but really does need the update.
It's getting AquaDuck! Haven't you heard? <ducks and runs for cover>

Sorry, couldn't resist. IIRC, this is a short drydock, something like 2 weeks in mid-September, so there's likely nothing major on tap - likely just minor stuff like the Edge as mentioned. It's very likely that DCL is looking at it as a chance to transition from the Alaska setup back to MR setup, such as removing heaters, etc, along with any bullet list repairs that didn't need to be done with passengers on board... Perhaps they'll do more with the Outlook Cafe, which was added quickly last October for Alaska, as I hear it can get a bit crowded...

Since I have an inside stateroom booked for October, I'd like to see the virtual portholes added - they could do that in two weeks, right?

What will be interesting is that the Magic appears to have a two week hole in her schedule which could accommodate a short 2 week dry dock in early September 2012, but neither the Wonder or the Magic seem to have an extended in the works until 2013 at the earliest. Conventional wisdom was as soon as the Fantasy came online, the older ships would go down for longer periods, but I guess DCL needs to recoup some major costs off the Dream & Fantasy before they decide to do that...
__________________
Me-36 | DW-38 | DD-8


~*~ DIS Dad #658 ~*~ DVC member - SSR & VGC ~*~
DLR: 10/'95, 10/'97, ??/2000, 10/'05, 10/'06, 1/'07, 4/'07, 10/'09, 11/'09, 5/'10, 8/'10, Fall 2012
WDW: 10/07, 4/08 ~*~ Disney Wonder: 10/16/10, 10/16/11, ?
next DCL cancelled for near future due to Dreams Unlimited not following through on onboard reservation...
Jathanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!
 
disneydreamfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 249

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathanis View Post
It's getting AquaDuck! Haven't you heard? <ducks and runs for cover>

Sorry, couldn't resist. IIRC, this is a short drydock, something like 2 weeks in mid-September, so there's likely nothing major on tap - likely just minor stuff like the Edge as mentioned. It's very likely that DCL is looking at it as a chance to transition from the Alaska setup back to MR setup, such as removing heaters, etc, along with any bullet list repairs that didn't need to be done with passengers on board... Perhaps they'll do more with the Outlook Cafe, which was added quickly last October for Alaska, as I hear it can get a bit crowded...

Since I have an inside stateroom booked for October, I'd like to see the virtual portholes added - they could do that in two weeks, right?

What will be interesting is that the Magic appears to have a two week hole in her schedule which could accommodate a short 2 week dry dock in early September 2012, but neither the Wonder or the Magic seem to have an extended in the works until 2013 at the earliest. Conventional wisdom was as soon as the Fantasy came online, the older ships would go down for longer periods, but I guess DCL needs to recoup some major costs off the Dream & Fantasy before they decide to do that...

Wait, so they are or are not getting an AquaDuck? This would make sense, but it would take longer than two weeks to get it all built and the piping connected for the water.

So what we have so far is: They are modifying the Edge.
Enclosing the buffet.

And possibly: Fixing the rusting and tiles in the pools.

Thanks! Anyone else with info?
__________________
Our Disney Vacations
Walt Disney World
•2001 - Boardwalk Villas •2004 - Old Key West •2006 - Port Orleans Riverside •2012 - Art of Animation (LK)
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
roxy84
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamfan14 View Post
Wait, so they are or are not getting an AquaDuck? This would make sense, but it would take longer than two weeks to get it all built and the piping connected for the water.

So what we have so far is: They are modifying the Edge.
Enclosing the buffet.

And possibly: Fixing the rusting and tiles in the pools.

Thanks! Anyone else with info?
While I'm not an engineering expert by any means, I doubt the older ships have the structure to support an aquaduck. Not only the means to get that much water up there, but the aquaduck would probably put too much weight on the top and make the older ships too top heavy (more likely to list and roll over).

I don't think they will be doing much updating this dry dock - mostly just replacing carpets,painting and doing maintenance on equipment etc. But I do believe they will be doing major work on both the magic and wonder after the fantasy comes out to update the spaces with Dream and Fantasy technology.
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,237

this is a short drydock, something like 2 weeks in mid-September,

2 weeks is far from a short shipyard period. I have been on qiute a few ship for only that amount of time abd a great deal can be done in the time frame. Many items are prefabucated.ready to set in place.

I have no idea what they plan......but a shipyard with proper planing can get a great deal done in that time.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
CADZNYCHC
Loves CM~DL~WDW~DCL & most of all Captain Jack
 
CADZNYCHC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 2,890

Can't wait to see what they end up doing and we are on the repo back to LA immediately after the dry dock so will give you all an update.....
__________________
Brenda S. Tsuda ~ DCL ~ Aug 13 2005 Mexican Riviera ~ April 7 2007 Western Caribbean ~ Dec 27 2008 NYE Western Caribbean ~ Oct 23 2010 Eastern Caribbean ~ Sept 20 2011 "Pirates of the Pacific" Repo Vancouver to LA ~ Jan 2 2012 Mexican Riviera ~ ~ Nov 3, 2012 A "FANTASY"cruise to the Eastern Caribbean ~ Feb 10, 2013 A Bahamian 'Dream' ~ and on Oct 12, 2013 my 9th Disney cruise with great friends!WDW ~ Nov 2004 AKL ~ April 2007 Coronado Springs ~ Jan 2009 Beach Club Villas & Saratoga Treehouses Oct 2010 ~ Disneyland ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 or more times a year and Club 33~7 & counting ~ find me on facebook ~ Brenda Briggs Tsuda
CADZNYCHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
goofymom68
Earning My Ears
 
goofymom68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atwater, CA
Posts: 49

Edge

So, will the Edge still exist on the Wonder? I have read things that make me wonder (no pun intended).
__________________


Honeymoon WDW 1998
Countless trips to Disneyland
Wonder MR July 2008

Last edited by goofymom68; 08-28-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
goofymom68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.