Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

Wonder 2011 Dry Dock

Can anyone give me any details on the dry dock for the Wonder in 2011? Just "wonder"ing. Thanks!
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
LKFan
DIS Veteran

They are supposed to be fixing The Edge to be more than a modified conference room.
LKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine

Enclosing the back of the buffet if I read correctly. It will allow for more comfortable Alaska sailings?

SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
Enclosing the back of the buffet if I read correctly. It will allow for more comfortable Alaska sailings?
Hopefully it is a retractable sort of thing. Love that open air and view from BBB.
narsibvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
That would be great if so- even on the MR I was just on (and we have another one booked) on sea days it was COLD! The tables and chairs out there were empty often because it was too cold to eat out there. We often took lunch buffet trays back to our room- and we saw a lot of people doing this!

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

Thanks!

Thank you for your comments! Anyone else?
Disney Cruise Line
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Dayita
Mouseketeer

I don't know what they'll be doing, but I do know where: Victoria BC!!!!

Charlene

People who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those who're doing it...

Dayita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
GumbyO
Earning My Ears

Well after recently getting off of the Wonder I have to say it truly needs a drydock. The adult pool area and around the hot tubs is rusting, actually metal rusted through on the pool's edge. Tiles coming off of the steps inside the hot tub. Carpeting and some inside areas were tired looking. The ship was lovely, but really does need the update.
GumbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer

when?

When are they dry docking the Wonder?
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
Jathanis
Full Blown Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyO View Post
Well after recently getting off of the Wonder I have to say it truly needs a drydock. The adult pool area and around the hot tubs is rusting, actually metal rusted through on the pool's edge. Tiles coming off of the steps inside the hot tub. Carpeting and some inside areas were tired looking. The ship was lovely, but really does need the update.
It's getting AquaDuck! Haven't you heard? <ducks and runs for cover>

Sorry, couldn't resist. IIRC, this is a short drydock, something like 2 weeks in mid-September, so there's likely nothing major on tap - likely just minor stuff like the Edge as mentioned. It's very likely that DCL is looking at it as a chance to transition from the Alaska setup back to MR setup, such as removing heaters, etc, along with any bullet list repairs that didn't need to be done with passengers on board... Perhaps they'll do more with the Outlook Cafe, which was added quickly last October for Alaska, as I hear it can get a bit crowded...

Since I have an inside stateroom booked for October, I'd like to see the virtual portholes added - they could do that in two weeks, right?

What will be interesting is that the Magic appears to have a two week hole in her schedule which could accommodate a short 2 week dry dock in early September 2012, but neither the Wonder or the Magic seem to have an extended in the works until 2013 at the earliest. Conventional wisdom was as soon as the Fantasy came online, the older ships would go down for longer periods, but I guess DCL needs to recoup some major costs off the Dream & Fantasy before they decide to do that...

~*~ DIS Dad #658 ~*~ DVC member - SSR & VGC ~*~
DLR: 10/'95, 10/'97, ??/2000, 10/'05, 10/'06, 1/'07, 4/'07, 10/'09, 11/'09, 5/'10, 8/'10, Fall 2012
WDW: 10/07, 4/08 ~*~ Disney Wonder: 10/16/10, 10/16/11, ?
next DCL cancelled for near future due to Dreams Unlimited not following through on onboard reservation...
Jathanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathanis View Post
It's getting AquaDuck! Haven't you heard? <ducks and runs for cover>

Sorry, couldn't resist. IIRC, this is a short drydock, something like 2 weeks in mid-September, so there's likely nothing major on tap - likely just minor stuff like the Edge as mentioned. It's very likely that DCL is looking at it as a chance to transition from the Alaska setup back to MR setup, such as removing heaters, etc, along with any bullet list repairs that didn't need to be done with passengers on board... Perhaps they'll do more with the Outlook Cafe, which was added quickly last October for Alaska, as I hear it can get a bit crowded...

Since I have an inside stateroom booked for October, I'd like to see the virtual portholes added - they could do that in two weeks, right?

What will be interesting is that the Magic appears to have a two week hole in her schedule which could accommodate a short 2 week dry dock in early September 2012, but neither the Wonder or the Magic seem to have an extended in the works until 2013 at the earliest. Conventional wisdom was as soon as the Fantasy came online, the older ships would go down for longer periods, but I guess DCL needs to recoup some major costs off the Dream & Fantasy before they decide to do that...

Wait, so they are or are not getting an AquaDuck? This would make sense, but it would take longer than two weeks to get it all built and the piping connected for the water.

So what we have so far is: They are modifying the Edge.
Enclosing the buffet.

And possibly: Fixing the rusting and tiles in the pools.

Thanks! Anyone else with info?
Disney Cruise Line
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
roxy84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamfan14 View Post
Wait, so they are or are not getting an AquaDuck? This would make sense, but it would take longer than two weeks to get it all built and the piping connected for the water.

So what we have so far is: They are modifying the Edge.
Enclosing the buffet.

And possibly: Fixing the rusting and tiles in the pools.

Thanks! Anyone else with info?
While I'm not an engineering expert by any means, I doubt the older ships have the structure to support an aquaduck. Not only the means to get that much water up there, but the aquaduck would probably put too much weight on the top and make the older ships too top heavy (more likely to list and roll over).

I don't think they will be doing much updating this dry dock - mostly just replacing carpets,painting and doing maintenance on equipment etc. But I do believe they will be doing major work on both the magic and wonder after the fantasy comes out to update the spaces with Dream and Fantasy technology.
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

this is a short drydock, something like 2 weeks in mid-September,

2 weeks is far from a short shipyard period. I have been on qiute a few ship for only that amount of time abd a great deal can be done in the time frame. Many items are prefabucated.ready to set in place.

I have no idea what they plan......but a shipyard with proper planing can get a great deal done in that time.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
CADZNYCHC
Loves CM~DL~WDW~DCL & most of all Captain Jack

Can't wait to see what they end up doing and we are on the repo back to LA immediately after the dry dock so will give you all an update.....
Brenda S. Tsuda ~ DCL ~ Aug 13 2005 Mexican Riviera ~ April 7 2007 Western Caribbean ~ Dec 27 2008 NYE Western Caribbean ~ Oct 23 2010 Eastern Caribbean ~ Sept 20 2011 "Pirates of the Pacific" Repo Vancouver to LA ~ Jan 2 2012 Mexican Riviera ~ ~ Nov 3, 2012 A "FANTASY"cruise to the Eastern Caribbean ~ Feb 10, 2013 A Bahamian 'Dream' ~ and on Oct 12, 2013 my 9th Disney cruise with great friends!WDW ~ Nov 2004 AKL ~ April 2007 Coronado Springs ~ Jan 2009 Beach Club Villas & Saratoga Treehouses Oct 2010 ~ Disneyland ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 or more times a year and Club 33~7 & counting ~ find me on facebook ~ Brenda Briggs Tsuda
CADZNYCHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
goofymom68
Earning My Ears

Edge

So, will the Edge still exist on the Wonder? I have read things that make me wonder (no pun intended).

Honeymoon WDW 1998
Countless trips to Disneyland
Wonder MR July 2008

Last edited by goofymom68; 08-28-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
goofymom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: